Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

The Protagonist posted:

yeah it's just a real cool room, anything could be on those panels

goatse chapel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

this series looks cool, i'm gonna try track it down!

e: here's the christoph waltz ep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2P3VwqnjWY

there's a netflix doco on beltracci too (Beltracchi: The Art of Forgery). tbh i'm not so much a fan of him, seems like a prick lol.

exmarx has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Jun 6, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

exmarx posted:

there's a netflix doco on beltracci too (Beltracchi: The Art of Forgery). tbh i'm not so much a fan of him, seems like a prick lol.

Yeah from Scammer 2.0 documentary he seemed to have a sky high ego that got worse after getting all the limelight due to getting charged and arrested in Germany.

Not to mention the real reason why he was caught was he kept pressing his luck by cranking out a high volume of paintings to support his lavish lifestyle.
Eventually the odds and shear volume of paintings meant that eventually one gallery curator started asking questions about the paintings.

Also when he went off to do original works they got panned and his lawyers even prevented pictures of them being shared.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ok here's the thing:

I watched the documentary in the OP, the one about the big forgery discovery at the major art dealer. And I see those rothkos and I'm like, yeah loving anybody can forge that poo poo.

There was a scene in a court of law where the art people were arguing whether the fake was upside down or not. And I cannot express how irrationally angry it made me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that the chad pei-shen quian was able to escape to China instead of dealing with the US legal system.

Also seeing the types of people who drive this "commodity" bubble it's hard to feel sorry when they got taken for a ride.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfx6wbznzE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUms6RVYV98

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

ItS nOt A fOrGeRy ItS aN oRiGiNaL

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

very angry i watched a question that doesn't get answered in the video.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA5Kr1qhSyg

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

https://www.thecollector.com/vantablack-anish-kapoor-stuart-semple-controversy/

The most direct and biting reaction to Kapoor’s monopoly on Vantablack, however, was Stuart Semple’s. Semple, another British artist, found himself likewise allured by the abyssal color. Following his discovery of Kapoor’s artistic monopoly on the material, Semple hatched a plan. In the last days of 2016, retribution found Kapoor in the perhaps unlikely, but certainly poetic form of new pigment developed by Semple, one which he claimed to be the “Pinkest Pink.” It was posted for sale on Semple’s website with this legal rider:

“By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this paint will not make its way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.”

he also made a black called black 2.0. i had a tube of it, it was pretty black

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
good thread:
https://twitter.com/artcrimeprof/status/1404444172849881101

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The romans fuckin’ looooved to put dicks on everything.

Sometimes the dicks themselves have dicks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dudes rock

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

my favorite art piece at the local musem that is sadly not on display anymore maybe fits this thread: The Only Known Grave of a Glassblower the same artist did lots of pieces with extensively forged provenance, though i dont think he ever took the extra step to try and pass anything off as truly legit. more like an artistic tall tale

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Great idea for a thread! Forgery adds the spice of mystery and controversy to art and livens up any artist's record.

My forger of the day is Zhang Daqian, who had a backstory most GMs would turn down and an S-tier beard.

That scholarly affectation with the flowing beard and flowing robes helped him build an almost cultic sense of myth around himself, so you might be wise to take his backstory with a pinch of salt here and there:

Sichuan, 1899: a painter, heavily pregnant, dreams of a white-bearded man giving her a black gibbon. She gives birth to Zhang Zhengquan the next day. This is an ink-blooded family - her older son Zhang Shanzi's tiger paintings will be famous in their own right. She teaches the kid to paint from a young age and by the age of 12 he was getting commissions to paint fortune-telling cards. Now at 17, he was at boarding school in Chongqing but didn't have the money to get home. While making the 120-mile trek home with a few friends he was abducted by bandits and told to write his own ransom note. His calligraphy convinced the bandits' leader to make him his secretary and Zhang proceeded to spend the next three months slinging that impeccable brushwork, robbing houses, studying poetry from looted books and practicing copying stolen paintings until the group were busted by police.

Somehow his family talked him out of this situation and sent him and his brother over to study shibori in Kyoto a couple of years later, separating Zhang from his fiancée Xie who died soon after. After attending her funeral Zhang decided to step back from the world - probably to avoid an arranged marriage rather than any sudden religious conviction - and become a Buddhist monk, taking the new name Daqian. His reclusion didn't last as his Roman Catholic family sent his brother - who had joined a republican precursor to the Kuomintang while in Japan - to drag him away, but it added the touch of classical flair which Zhang would play to his advantage for the rest of his life.

From there Zhang went to Shanghai to take instruction in traditional painting and had the chance to study the work of old masters in close detail. He became obsessed with mastering the styles of great artists such as Shitao and would copy their paintings over and over. The accidental bandit became, by his account, an accidental forger as connoisseurs simply refused to see his copies as anything but the real thing. Zhang began to amass a huge collection of seals of authentication, faking them if necessary. His success as an artist and con artist took him to Beijing where he fell in with Pu Xinyu, an artist who happened to be related to two (2) emperors and was able to supply Zhang with colophons to mark his fakes as genuine. Zhang would read up on the descriptions of lost paintings and then forge them on antique silk, age them with tea and a hairdryer and apply one of his dubious seals.

Through all this Zhang was becoming a prodigious polygamist with a crowd of hangers-on and a pet gibbon (prophetic dream remember, he was a gibbon reincarnated) and constantly producing paintings at an industrial rate, averaging maybe 500 a year. His style became more and more varied, blending elements from different masters and creating something strangely original. He left China as the CCP closed in on victory and began to drift around the world from Sao Paulo to Nice building pavilions and bamboo gardens and his myth as the last great intellectual of classical China without ever learning a Western language. Having injured his eyes in an accident he added an impressionistic flourish of splashed-colour to his repertoire, enlivening his style even further.

Zhang kept painting up to his death at the age of 83. He was decadent and brilliant, some kind of agent of chaos. Paintings attributed to him routinely sell for millions to art-as-investment psychos while curators are warned to be mindful that any given classic that resurfaces might be one of his forgeries. Now of course the circle of grift is complete - the forger has become the forged, and that eclectic style makes the forgeries hard to pick from both directions. You can only imagine him being happy with that.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
that rules, thanks for that story.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
That guy led the best possible life.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

crepeface posted:

that rules, thanks for that story.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
My pleasure :) i can’t say how much of the story is true, but that’s the whole point of Zhang Daqian, and why art forgery is good

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
zhang daqian ftw

Xiao Yuan: Librarian at Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts replaced stolen works with own replicas - and amassed £3.5m in the process

When Xiao Yuan took over as chief librarian at the Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts he spotted a potentially lucrative sideline.

In what was described as a “phenomenally extreme act of fakery” he began stealing and selling masterpieces, replacing them with his own replicas.

Xiao is reported to have admitted removed 143 paintings from a gallery under his care between 2004 and 2006, successfully auctioning 125 of them until 2011. By swapping the landscapes and calligraphies of 17th and 20th-century Chinese artists with his own replicas, Mr Xiao amassed 34 million yuan (£3.5m) which he spent on apartments and more paintings.

The 57-year-old Chinese librarian said in court that he spotted fake paintings in his first day on the job and had noticed more fakes replacing his own as time went on. “I realised someone else had replaced my paintings with their own because I could clearly discern that their works were terribly bad,” said Mr Xiao in the two-hour hearing to Guangzhou People’s Intermediate Court.

Although he pleaded guilty to corruption, Xiao said in his defence that forgery was rampant and students and professors could take out paintings in the same way they could borrow books. Phillip Mould, an art dealer, said there was more risk involved in trying to replicate older grandmasters than modern prints.

“This is quite a high-wire act,” said Mr Mould, who presents the BBC’s art investigation programme Fake or Fortune? He added: “It is highly unlikely this would [happen] in national institutions under the scrutiny of Western art critics. It would be ludicrous.”

The paintings were Chinese rather than Western ones which handlers might otherwise have been less familiar with, Mr Mould said. Artists whose works were stolen included the influential 20th-century artists Qi Baishi, who used watercolours, and Zhang Daqian – himself a master forger – who depicted landscapes and lotuses. Also listed on the court transcript was Rock and Birds by Zhu Da, a 17th-century painter and calligrapher who used ink monochrome.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

That guy led the best possible life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Dai-chien

What a story.

He also utilized the strategy of forging lost paintings as way to step around the classic forgery challenge of how to creating a compelling Provence for the paintings.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I feel like Rothko works really live or die in the presentation. I mean all art does but I think it's especially true for him.

the only way i could respect art like that is if whenever a painting was sold or moved it was burned and the janitor had to paint a new one

fine art is only fine because rich people are obsessed with being able to own and put a price to the original. imo the louvre should convert all their paintings to jpgs

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mercrom posted:

imo the louvre should convert all their paintings to jpgs

what about sculptures? huh??!?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

what about sculptures? huh??!?

the louvre minecraft server

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dreylad posted:

friend who worked at an art gallery told me early on that art was just a massive money laundering scheme. bitcoin got nothing on Art.

if they're not using it to launder it, they're using it to shelter it, the value of art is all subjective so it's a good way to store vast sums of money in investments that you can chronically undervalue despite knowing they will appreciate

the people who buy it have absurd amounts of it and while they may enjoy the art immensely, enjoyment is generally the least important part of the equation. a lot of art never gets taken out of the box it was shipped in.

i worked for a midstream oil and gas company for a number of years and our CEO was a fine art collector, he filled three office buildings and who knows how many private residences with his personal collection and we were still tripping over crated paintings all the loving time.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Jul 4, 2021

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Mirthless posted:

if they're not using it to launder it, they're using it to shelter it, the value of art is all subjective so it's a good way to store vast sums of money in investments that you can chronically undervalue despite knowing they will appreciate

the people who buy it have absurd amounts of it and while they may enjoy the art immensely, enjoyment is generally the least important part of the equation. a lot of art never gets taken out of the box it was shipped in.

i worked for a midstream oil and gas company for a number of years and our CEO was a fine art collector, he filled three office buildings and who knows how many private residences with his personal collection and we were still tripping over crated paintings all the loving time.

you shoulda taken one home not like he’s gonna miss it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching Netflix's Made You Look right now and it's the most fun I've had in a while

Just all these dipshit rich folks getting taken for a ride

I loving love it

Pure comedy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That MH Miller fucker from the NYT was the most obnoxious person in the documentary. Just top to bottom smugness

Ann Freedman INNOCENT!

Pei Shen is praxis

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Jul 18, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm watching Netflix's Made You Look right now and it's the most fun I've had in a while

Just all these dipshit rich folks getting taken for a ride

I loving love it

Pure comedy

It was a feel good film to me especially after the film interviews all the various horrible hedge fund / rich yuppie couples who got taken for a ride with the art forgeries.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

gradenko_2000 posted:

That MH Miller fucker from the NYT was the most obnoxious person in the documentary. Just top to bottom smugness

matty glesias's Art Twin

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

fool themselves into thinking that the fake wine is the best thing they've ever tasted.

There's a good chance it is.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ann Freedman INNOCENT!

Pei Shen is praxis

Pei Shen was just playing a prank. If it was on YouTube he'd have gotten millions of views.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/diffendale/status/1439204731403055114

thread about boar forgery (no pun)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Boar Vessel is innocent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

baw posted:

goatse chapel

The art of Kirk Johnson is almost impossible to forge.