Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
So I built a vertical kebab grill, using the turntable motor from my old microwave and some stainless steel I had left over from an earlier project.

The charcoal goes into the hex shaped basket on the back, which I can open or shut to regulate the heat. Seems like it would work, today was my second attempt.

I chopped 1/2 of an onion in the food processor, squeezing as much juice as I could out of it. Added about 8oz of bacon (which seems very wrong), garlic and chopped some more. Then I added 1lb ground lamb, about 1lb ground beef, 2tsp cumin, 2tsp coriander, 1tps garam marsala. Blended until it was a sticky unholy mess:

I formed it around the spit, resting on a stainless steel disc and wrapped it in freezer paper. It sat in the bottom of the fridge for about six hours.

When it was time to cook I did not use much charcoal to start, which may have been one of the problems.

It looked great, spining slowly sweating out fat. As it cooked, however, cracks began to appear and the whole thing started to slump down and ooze around the disc holding it up. I eventually got a nice golden crust on the exterior, but by then the whole thing was sliding off the spit. Sort of a slow motion lava feel to it, with the crusty exterior along for the ride. I took the outside crust off and finished on a cast iron skillet, and the remaining 1/4lb continued to cook on the spit. The taste was not bad, but I was too light on the spices. The texture was a little bit crumbly, instead of the smooth homogeneous texture it is supposed to be.

My earlier attempt a week ago ended quickly, I did not add any fat (the bacon I tried this time), and it cracked and collapsed. This time it came a lot closer, but I still am a long way from a firm enough loaf to be able to carve slices. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
You're just making this recipe up with zero book reading or investigation or googling or youtubing, right?

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Halloween Liker posted:

You're just making this recipe up with zero book reading or investigation or googling or youtubing, right?

The recipe seems to be the online consensus, except the garam. I've seen the bacon as an adder for fat in several places, the lack of authenticity doesn't bother me at this point. Every one I've looked at emphasizes fat and blending into a paste in order to make the texture correct.

The difference between looking up an online recipe and what I think I need is that for all the recipes I've found the cooking step is to make a loaf and bake, then slice thin. The mechanical properties of the mixture aren't all that important because it is sitting in a pan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think really real kebab is made from stacked slices of whole meat, not ground meat. But the ground version is most common here even in restaurants. I wonder if you'd be better of baking the loaf in the oven, then mounting it on the kebab skewer and just use it to get a new crispy surface for everything you cut off.

e:
I've personally wondered if one could use both real meat and ground to make a hybrid kebab

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 31, 2021

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
This is awesome, I love this so much. If you're set on doing ground meat and having trouble with it staying together you might try adding an egg per pound or so of meat to the mixture, or salting it really well and then letting it sit in the fridge at least overnight.

Then you should get some pork and onions and do an al pastor situation

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Stalizard posted:

This is awesome, I love this so much. If you're set on doing ground meat and having trouble with it staying together you might try adding an egg per pound or so of meat to the mixture, or salting it really well and then letting it sit in the fridge at least overnight.

Then you should get some pork and onions and do an al pastor situation

Interesting idea about the salt to alter the moisture content. I was thinking the egg would make it more of a meatloaf consistency.

Al pastor/trompo is part of the plan, as is the other style of kabob made from skirt steak or chicken in compressed layers.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Not sure if it's a moisture thing so much as the way the salt interacts with the proteins. I saw it in an old food lab article, basically the exact thing that Kenji doesn't want going on with his burgers is what I think would make your doner stick together better, and honestly I think the textural thing that's going on would work in your favor:

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i bet it would be hella good if tyiou added some ground fish into that something fresh like a tilapia would be choiuce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

i bet it would be hella good if tyiou added some ground fish into that something fresh like a tilapia would be choiuce

then just sip on a michelada while watching it cook