Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What the gently caress is going on with starmers hand?

I think it's a weird perspective thing, he's grasping his inside leg just above the knee, so his pink and ring finger are splayed out over the top of his thigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

blunt posted:

There's actually reports that Vaccination may help long covid symptoms. Further studies needed etc.

https://twitter.com/WiredUK/status/1375054980667871237?s=19

My dad had two verrucas spontaneously clear up after getting a jab, and a friend of his who is an immunology lecturer now wants to use him as a case study for the theory that vaccines can "wake up" your innate immune system to start fighting infections it has learned to ignore.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

sebzilla posted:

February is doing the best it can.

We should have 13 months of 28 days though. When I become God-Emperor of Earth this shall come to pass.

13's prime and too hard to divide neatly. My god emperor pitch: 12 months of 28 days, with two intercalary days between each as mandatory public holidays, except December into January, which will have a seven day intercalary festival (leap day will go here).

Basically the French Republican Calendar but with 7 day weeks.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Black Death is a fascinating case study in just how many fatalities established societies can handle before collapsing. France and England (the 2 medieval states that I know the most about) went through all sorts of social changes as a result of the plague but both their societies survived fundamentally intact, despite death rates of around a third of the population overall. You can contrast this with any number of native American nations, where they suffered death rates of 90%+ due to repeated waves of European diseases and where their existing complex societies tended to disintegrate, with the survivors forming simpler, 'post-apocalyptic' groups.

So if some epidemic carried off a third of us, we'd be left reeling, but our society would probably ultimately regain balance in a form that we'd be able to recognise as being continuous with what had come before. If 95% of the population died, all our existing systems - law, government, logistics, utilities etc would fall to bits completely and the survivors would likely return to some sort of collective subsistence farming. Cheerful stuff!

That said, didn't France and England evolve in an environment where plagues were not unheard of? Certainly not on the scale of the Black Death, but structurally their realms had to be able to absorb periodic waves of disease that carried off some significant proportion of their population from time to time. That may not hold true for our own society built on just in time logistics and massive global trade networks, we may be unable to absorb a shock like that to the same degree a Feudal society can.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't think so: all societies lacking antibiotics and good sanitation have had to grapple with regular disease outbreaks: there was nothing special about Medieval France and England in that regard.

My point is more that there's something special about modern society in that regard (the antibiotics and good sanitation) that could leave us less able to absorb a shock that an older society could weather.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NotJustANumber99 posted:

google wont let me watch this without my credit card as proof of age?!?

The EU's Audiovisual Media Services Directive (which as I understand it was incorporated into UK law too) now requires that streaming services verify your age before streaming age-restricted content (an algorithm, of course, decides what is age restricted), so anyone in the EU, EEA or UK who wants to watch such a video now needs to prove to google you're 18.

Nevermind the fact my gmail account is probably about 18 years old at this point

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

It didn't ask me for any info?

Google has probably already verified your age. Do you have an android phone?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Cummings is apparently dropping whatsapp receipts now
https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1405112267729952770?s=20

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

The one thing that people always forget when prepping is people.

You can have all your food sources and your high ground and your solar generators and buggery bags and so on, but what you really need to get things going is at least 20 people and a common plan.

Also some way to avoid that plan Jim Jonesing itself.

There's a really enjoyable book I read called The Knowledge which goes into this. Despite sounding like a manual for learning the streets of London, it's instead a manual for how to rebuild society after a catastrophe, and one of the first things it does is lay out that your best chance of long-term survival is getting out of the cities and into some place where a village sized group of you can gather/grow food to sustain yourselves, and makes the point that going it alone is pretty much a death sentence unless you're literally the Last Man on Earth, in which case you should just lock yourself in a supermarket; because you'll die of old age before you run out of food and liquids.

The whole book is like a prep manual for non-sociopaths, and a really interesting thought experiment on how a post-apocalyptic society would actually look. Turns out there's a lot more soap than you'd think.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

She's turned the planet against us

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Getting my head kicked in by my family.
Am I the only person who thinks making contingency plans (even if you don't end up using them in the event of whatever the contingency is) is sensible and not 'wishing the bad thing' into existence?

Given that yesterday we were talking about how to survive an apocalypse yesterday, I'm guessing "no"!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I am committed to my hot take that the spark that lit the fire was the question "are video games art?"

Like, if you go back to the early 2000s when there were regular moral panics about violence in video games, the response from gamers was always "video games are art! They should be protected as free speech!" People got mad or at least rolled their eyes when people like Roger Ebert claimed the opposite, that no mere game could ever rise to the level of art.

And then came the day when a lady took the claim that video games were art seriously and produced a very basic and non-controversial work of feminist art criticism, and the internet exploded. All the pieces were in place, the "dark enlightenment", the tea party (in america), the casual misogyny of internet culture, the scientistic fetish for biotruths. But what men on the internet couldn't handle was that someone tested their claim that video games were art.

Suddenly games could not be art, because if they were art, that means they could be subject to artistic criticism, and since gamers defined themselves by games, if games could be criticised, they would be being criticised! Unfair!

This also meant any game which looked too much like art needed to be destroyed, and in their iconoclatic fury, this also meant attacking, harrasing and sending death threats to any women who dared to make a video game that looked like art.

Now I know this theory is certainly ridiulous, and there's probably a million better supported narratives of this period in history, but goddamn I want textbooks of the future to say "the pivotal question of the early 21st century was whether video games were art" so much because I want people of the future to look back at this ridiculous time with the same level of incredulity we do when we ponder how the question of whether Christ had one nature or two could have caused civil war in the Roman Empire.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think if I was on a council taking proposals for public projects I'd include in the brief to architects a requirement that proposals include an image which depicts how the building will look after not being cleaned for 30 years.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Julio Cruz posted:

it's always just a backronym

The best rule of thumb when it comes to etymology is that the more interesting a proposed etymology sounds, the less likely it is to be true.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shyrka posted:

I always love stories of war game/simulations happening across some absurdly effective strat that gets banned because no one can figure out a counter.

There was some space battles one back in the day where people would build these lovingly made space battleships with all kinds of bells and whistles, then someone rocked up spending all their points on a horde of tiny guns with engines that eviscerated everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

This was a good one too where the Red side representing Iraq or Iran used some cheesy strats to completely wipe out the Blue side meant to represent the US, so they redid it putting the Red side under constraints to ensure the proper outcome.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I remember once reading that because of the nature of the wargame, Riper's tactics involved him making up stuff his side didn't actually have to thwart the other side's tactics. So for example when he used "motorcycle messengers" to circumvent his transmissions being blocked, what he was actually doing was sending the orders electronically and just saying "pretend I used motorcycle messengers to send these", because Red hadn't actually been given any motorcycle messengers for the exercise. Which meant that he was sending his orders in real time and without any of the risks you actually get from using motorcycle messengers (and Blue had zero intelligence that Red actually had things like motorcycle messengers, because they didn't until Riper just said he did). Similarly with the small boats he used to sink the blue ships, that the ships could have bombs on them wasn't accounted for in the exercise, so Red could put huge "bombs" on small boats and not have to worry about, say, the boats being slowed by that weight and becoming easier to hit. One of the arguments made afterward was that Riper's tactics were not actually unbeatable, and had the wargame been a test of "US Military vs Guerilla warfare" he'd have been given the tools he used, and the Blue team would have been equipped to respond to them, but since the point of wargame was actually a test of "US Military vs conventional army", the red team deciding to turn a guerilla warfare campaign doesn't actually tell you anything about how the US military would perform against a conventional army.

Of course this is all from the Blue side of things after the fact (and so almost certainly sour grapes at least in part), but I guess if you are making up units, Blue can just go "OK, we nuke you." and win by default, so.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

/Says it out loud
Jaw-Jaw well? ???
/says it out loud in a very stereotypical english accent
Ohhh

Honestly you did this to yourselves.

Pictured in red: good bits of england

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This doesn't really feel like a productive discussion. Everyone's assuming that the other side is saying the worst possible interpretation of what they're posting and I'm not really sure it's going anywhere?

In other news, it's been a year since the events at the Park Inn in Glasgow:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57622440

quote:

Campaigners have marked the first anniversary of a knife attack at a Glasgow hotel which left six people injured, including a police officer.

Attacker Badreddin Abadlla Adam, 28, from Sudan, was shot dead by police in the incident at the Park Inn.

Campaign group Refugees For Justice called for an inquiry into the decision to house asylum seekers in the hotel.

It said the tragedy was a "direct result of the dysfunctional UK asylum support and accommodation system".

The Home Office said it was necessary to use the Park Inn as temporary accommodation for asylum seekers during the Covid pandemic.

Asylum seekers are still being housed in these hotels, many of which are not fit for purpose and dehumanising and isolating to live in:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/asylum-seekers-hotels-refugee-council-home-office-b1835832.html

quote:

Asylum seekers are being left without adequate shoes, clothing or suitable food in Home Office hotel accommodation, in what has been condemned as “dehumanising” treatment.

A report by the Refugee Council reveals that people seeking refuge have been confined to their rooms for days because they have inappropriate footwear – for example only a pair of flip-flops – or are having to wait for their one set of clothes to be cleaned.

In other cases, people who are physically unwell have had no option but to eat food that is harmful to their health, and have been unable to access even basic healthcare, with some prevented from getting the Covid vaccine despite being eligible.

This second article is from last month, but emblematic of the conditions which created the tragedy a year ago.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bump_fn posted:

welcome to the internet are you new here

I know I don't post much in the thread, but I just don't like seeing people I like gettin mad at each other :shobon:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Josef bugman posted:

Is it just me or has he gotten more left wing over the years as well?

Maybe, I haven't listened to the Bugle, but before Last Week Tonight he'd have been working in environments where someone else has editorial control; panel shows are the preserve of melty centrism, and the Daily Show under Stewart was that typical sort of surface level "republicans evil, democrats useless" liberal take political centrists in America like so much. Last Week Tonight has gotten a bit more polemic over time in its focus on societal problems, but I don't know if we can say that's Oliver getting more left wing, or just feeling steadily freer to express his views as the show becomes more established.

It also doesn't hurt him that in the hellscape he lives in, basic normal-rear end views like "prison inmates shouldn't literally die of heat stroke" are left wing takes.

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which...

Only 1 of these is correct, 99.2% of all people on Earth get it right!!!!!

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 29, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

I thought the playing cards one was true :(

It's not completely untrue, while the standard deck of cards was developing in the 15th century it was popular in some places to base the images on famous people. So this myth comes likely from a historic deck which does indeed have the kings actually labelled as Caesar, Alexander, David and Charlemagne. But there was no standardisation, one deck might be like that, another might use French kings from recent history, or completely different historical monarchs. Most decks would have had no labels at all.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I recall reading a book many years ago called “Turned Out Nice” which presented a vision of what post-climate change Britain would look like that largely comported with that Bitesize thing. Mediterranean climate, longer growing seasons, animals and plants will flourish.

Though the book didn’t shy away from mentioning pesky little downsides like “many of those plants and animals will be invasive pests and kill off our native wildlife”, and “several heavily populated river valleys and coastlines in England will become uninhabitable due to flooding” and “fresh clean water will need to be rationed” and “the largest refugee crisis in human history as billions are forced to flee the tropics”.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jakabite posted:

It’s cool and good for people to like different things, and concerns about nationalism are valid even if I don’t hugely agree with them in a practical sense. Even complaining that it seems to take everything over for a bit is fair - i get a bit peeved when it’s wall to wall bake off but that’s just living in a society.

The only truly melt thing is to just support whoever England are against. Absolute wet napkin behaviour that. My partners flat mate is doing it, ostensibly because of violence against women, which has led to him supporting paragon of gender equality Ukraine.

Supporting whoever England are against is a time honoured Scottish tradition and I won’t stand to hear it disparaged in this way! Never known someone to do it cause of a political cause though, it’s mostly just wanting your haughty and arrogant neighbour taken down a peg or two.

That said, if England do finally win I look forward to English comrades being able to attribute it to the power of BLM and Marxism.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

stev posted:

It really feels like they either knew exactly what they were doing or they're loving these headlines.

I expect it's the latter, the majority of their clientele is going to be non-British so after being a figure of fun on Twitter for a day, nobody they care about is going to give a poo poo, but lots of people will have heard the name and at most will be like "oh, it's that company who's name was funny to british people". The name makes "sense" for a cryptocurrency company, a nonce in cryptography is an arbitrary number used only once, which is an important feature of how cryptocurrency mining works. Nonce in this sense derives from "nonce words", which are arbitrary made up words used once, which in turn derives from the old idiomatic phrase "for the nonce" meaning "for now".

I don't think anyone's really certain where nonce as a slang term for pedophilia comes from (it's definitely not an acronym), but the most plausible explanation in my view is that it's derived from "nancy [boy]", due to historical homophobia equating gay men and pedophilia.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Remember, nuclear takes can have a half-life of minutes, screenshot dumb poo poo!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

runwiled posted:

Might this be one of those cases where they 'leak,' a possible government policy or action to see what the public reaction to it is?

Nah, you leak those by texting Kuenssberg and Peston.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

goddamnedtwisto posted:

* Nobody has *ever* been able to properly justify roundabouts with traffic lights though, beyond the fact that the majority of drivers are far too stupid to use roundabouts properly.

You and Crispix should collaborate on a roundabout party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Zfd2Kzw1k

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
A few of the HEBS adverts they played in Scotland when I was a kid felt impactful at the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR_rnQEPoZ0
The contrast of the american narrator and the scottish voice at the end really makes that final line pop and be memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un9MII-NbyM

The adverts I think did well by trusting the kids who'd watch it to understand the visuals and narrative and grasp the point being made without just outright stating it. Blue Sticks is probably the most on the nose but even so, never actually outright says "this is the same as cigarettes", which I think a lot of ham-fisted PSAs would have done.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I absolutely detested Latin in school and firmly believe that classes to learn it are morally equivalent to necrophilia. It is a language sent to earth by the devil to torment schoolchildren.

That said, I loved Classical Studies and it's a real shame that as a subject it has basically died in state schools. I'm not sure if the plans to bring back Latin are also brining back Classics, but if so it would be worth it in my opinion. A good Classics course really captures the essence of a good arts education because of its cross-disciplinary style; there's no other subject that covers drama, history, speech, philosophy and politics all in a single course, and a good teacher helps connect those things together--how does history inform philosophy, how does philosophy inform politics, and so on. You miss out on that when every subject is siloed out into its own class as you get in the rest of school.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm 33, and my state school in Glasgow offered Latin at Standard Grade, nobody in my year took it up, but everyone got a term of Latin in second year prior to choosing subjects.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh man, I am looking forward to that mead fudge.

Same. Also looking forward to the day when there's Maple (no bacon!) fudge, hint hint! ;)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just got my mead fudge! A very interesting flavour, makes the main fudge flavour more intense while giving off a very unique boozy aftertaste that's only just barely there, but still remarkable. That's a thumbs up from me Camrath.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Fear is the Little Chef that brings total obliteration.

Help I think I'm having some kind of temporal lobe anomaly

brid was the right spelling all along

loving bord, what

Horse also used to be hros, and third and thirteen used to be thrid and thriteen (both closer in pronunciation to "three", you'll notice). Iron also used to be pronounced eye-ron; the pronunciation changed but not the spelling.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

There's a bunch of people who are convinced that you just have to run X 'like a business' and it'll work better, because a business is the best thing and market capitalism is the only thing that actually works and everything else is just pretend.

It runs the gamut from the dork enlightenment Moldbug "bring Charles II back as CEO" reactionaries to Musk fanboys to Vince Cables to New Labour PFI spads to most of the journalist class, and has captured most of the public attention to the point where everyone would look at you as if you'd grown three heads if you said "we need to run this greengrocers like a school" or "we need to run this factory like a monastery" but "we need to run this vital social service more like a business" is just sensible.

I've daydreamed about getting elected on a platform of "running the government like a business" and then relentlessly pursuing a policy of "maximising value to shareholders" by essentially nationalising everything.

We can start by rebranding taxes as "subscriptions to civilisation". Obviously the primary job of the government under traditional notions of a sovereign state is to provide safety and security of the wealth and property of the state and its inhabitants, so subscription fees will be directly tied to the amount of property and wealth you want to be protected (most citizen-shareholders will be eligible for our free tier, where you will still receive the full secondary benefits like healthcare and education). Any wealth or property over the maximum cap for subscribers will remit to our business for the prurpose of enhancing services and improving return on investment for citizen-shareholders.

If you are found to be in violation of the Terms of Service by attempting to possess more property and wealth than your subscription tier allows, unfortunately we'll have no choice but to terminate your subscription to civilisation. Your assets in these circumstances will not be returned to you.

In the interest of streamlining and efficiency saving we will be bringing all of our public facing products like railways and healthcare back fully in-house to maximise the benefits that vertical integration can provide in a business with such a huge scope. Subscription fees may have to go up for our highest tier subscribers, but we're confident that the overall experience for most subscribers (particularly those at the free-tier) will be markedly improved.

While other businesses can of course continue to operate on our premises, we will also be insisting that any citizen-shareholders of UK Inc. who are employed by these businesses have a collective voice on the boardroom of said businesses, in the interest of improving the operational performance and competitiveness. Please note that any mistreatment of citizen-shareholders employed by businesses on our premises can lead to sanctions up to and including immediate termination of the civilisation subscriptions of both the business and its owners, potentially leaving them open to retaliatory actions as their persons and property will no longer be subject to protection.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat it's £24 delivery to Ireland otherwise I'd buy 10. I already evangelise about airfryers to my mates anyway. Yes I'm a deeply sad oval office

I've never really understood what their purpose is. Back when I moved into my current flat which lacked an integrated convection oven I looked into them but I couldn't work out why I'd buy an air fryer over just a standard countertop convection oven. The little oven I bought had the benefit of cooking everything on one level (meaning no need to shake the basket or whatever to evenly cook stuff), had a window so I could actually check doneness visually without opening, and cleaning a flat pan struck me as much easier than cleaning a basket full of holes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

And this is the most pressing issue of the day, because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNZTtoQBmA

I like how this parody is apparently indistinguishable from the real thing according to Youtube's algorithm, given that it offered me an interview with Jordan Peterson as a follow up.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

Roman times if you just mean flatbread with tomoatoes and herbs, 18th century if you mean what we would consider the modern pizza. First introduced to the British in the reign of Victoria.

I'm reminded very much of the guy who had "Rome did not have robots" as his custom title, suddenly

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

McDonalds is expensive? I guess they do have pricier things but my go-to 'I'm very drunk and foolish' post-pub order was a 20 mcnugget sharebox and a big mac meal, which came to about 7 or 8 quid iirc and was plenty enough food to make you entirely regret your choices the following day. Burger King on the other hand is absurdly overpriced.

I would love to try old school Roman food. Iirc they did have some pizza-like food sans the tomato, which I imagine was mostly cheesy herby bread covered in fish sauce and the like. Kinda crazy that an ingredient not seen in Europe till the late 1400s has become so totally symbolic of a whole nation's food culture and most of the stuff from that place that came before has been forgotten.

I've been thinking of trying to recreate old British food, which mostly used parsnips where we'd now use potato. I actually think a shepherd's pie or something would work really well.

To that end I'd highly recommend Tasting History with Max Miller, who does historical cookery videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XvMKdD2tY

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Payndz posted:

Is it bad that whenever anyone who was most famous in the 20th century but hasn't done anything for a while suddenly reappears in the media, my automatic assumption is that they're bellowing something racist or transphobic?

Only in the sense that your list doesn’t include anti-vaccination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm curious how they got to this number. The usual advice is 3-6 months living expenses, £17k is far more than that for most adults I'd have thought.

Survey of the newsroom?