Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

we should theoretically have better things to do with our lives than post.

and yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Desperate throw of the dice to try to prevent Beckett winning and taking a load of money away from Labour?

It could be; "piss off our largest donor at a time when our finances are atrocious" is a move so :yikes: the only surprise is that Starmer isn't running with the idea himself.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think you'll find Nelson wasn't playing boules, he was admiring the binmen taking his bins away. That's why he was late.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I guess they can't claim it about Whitechapel anymore now that half the Bengali population's been punted over to Bow by gentrification

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You can't libel the truth or poor people

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Twisto's house he was born in is made of dirt blocks.

This is not uncommon on the Isle of Dogs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There are obviously some pubs - in particular - that run on pretty fine margins already.
But I'm not sure how many of them are left. There used to be half a dozen pubs within a 10 minute stroll of my home; there's now one.
If a business can't keep enough staff to stay open, it'll close and there'll be an opportunity for a similar business that's more adaptable to take their share of the market.

There's not really any point arguing the toss over it, because the only real argument for "Yeah, but we need people to work in pubs but we can't pay them more" if people don't want those jobs is to then go down the route the Govt have already gone down with supermarkets, and have the DWP insisting that Wetherspoons get slave labour jobseekers to work for them. I'm sure some JobCentrePlus fascist will get their jollies sending recovering alcoholics and muslims to work pulling pints.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 9, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tarnop posted:

4. Nationalise 'spoons

There's definitely an argument in 2021 for nationalising the shared social spaces that pubs in particular occupy in communities.
I was about to say "I'm sure Public Health England would have something to say about nationalising pubs", but I can't even remember what they rebranded to, and if Dido Harding gets the job as head of NHS England, having state-funded alcoholism will probably be the best way out for us all anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm sure the Tories would find a way to come up with a system even worse than 'company scrip'.
Like beer tokens only redeemable for Budweiser :barf:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Was having a little think about Islington North in the next General Election, whenever that might be.

It seems unlikely, as it stands, that Corbyn is getting the Labour whip back. Do we think he'd stand as an independent in that case?

And, would doing so result in him being kicked out of the Party as a member? You're not supposed to be able to remain in the party if you've campaigned for a non-party candidate, right? I feel like that's one of the possible reasons why he might not do it, other than being fairly old and not wanting to go through the absolute circus that it would involve either way.

I'd be very surprised if Keith is still leading Labour by the time we get that far. The next by-election looks like it'll be another loss for Labour, and that should probably be enough to get him chucked out of a window, politically.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My employer is recording a minor uptick in the number of inpatients with a positive Covid test, but the number of patients with Covid needing enhanced care is increasing (albeit still in single digits).

[edit]
Also, I'm continuing to see fewer and fewer people wearing masks on the Tube in particular.
I did see a bus driver tell some teenagers they couldn't get on his bus because they weren't wearing masks, which is fair enough and something I'd like to see more of them doing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The BBC are trying to blame the host broadcaster for trying to get footage of Christian Eriksen being almost dead on a football pitch, rather than admitting that they could have cut away to the studio or literally anything else if they weren't massive loving ghouls.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I agree with Miftan that Starmer is trying to appeal to the centre-groundists with his 'the truth is in the middle' tedium.
And I also agree with everyone else pointing out that Starmer isn't appealing to anyone with his Schrödinger's Policy approach to leading a political party, the utter buffoon.

Also, lol that Boris hosed up yet a-loving-gain by not closing the borders (gotta make nice with Modi, innit?) and his rimming partners in the press won't even touch the issue.

[edit]
And my employer is reporting rising numbers again, including of those requiring enhanced care. Wonderful

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The other concern is staff burnout within the NHS. There were some warnings about it only a couple of weeks ago, but if we're looking at another peak it's going to hit staff hard.
There's only so long you can ask physically and mentally exhausted staff to maintain a (literally) extra-ordinary workload and the end having been in sight for a while now was a motivator. I'd be surprised if there isn't a wave of staff leaving the NHS once Covid is 'done'; the Govt's treated NHS staff with contempt throughout and no-one gets paid enough for the poo poo they've had to deal with in the last year.
Plus, there's that wonderful part where everyone will be expected to muck in to sort out waiting times, with no additional resources made available to help that happen.

It's not going to be good.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A bumblebee woke me up this morning and then flew into a cobweb from which it struggled to escape. I used the corner of a magazine to liberate it from spiderprisonment, opened the window as wide as it could go and it flew out and away with a bit of web still dangling off it.
Silly bumblebee.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's truly of limited surprise that Keir 'Forensic' Starmer attempted to rules-lawyer activists he was kicking out of the party, but utterly hosed it because he's as atrocious a lawyer as he is a politician.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Anti HS2 virtue signalling

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

there was a woman on channel 4 news last night who said that by-election result last night was good news for labour

Nice to see that Labour is taking lessons from the sterling work of Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Given her background, I'm inclined to give Rayner more leeway than I would some bougie oval office like Starmer.
That said, her background actually provides her with more cover for just sticking to saying what she thinks than listening to the poo poo-for-brains working at Labour HQ, so I think she'd be better off at times pretending like she isn't a politician.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I hadn't previously been aware of how difficult it is to be less racist than the Tories, but Keith is doing a great job of showing me!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Apparently Dido Harding's pitch for why she should run NHS England is that she would reduce the NHS' reliance on foreign-born staff.
An idea so staggeringly stupid - honestly, it's quite possibly the most stupid thing I've ever heard someone say when they want to be taken seriously - that it's hard to imagine her having a sensible idea now that I've heard it.

Incredibly racist, too, but that's just par for the course for the bunch of cunts running the country at the moment.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Health and Care Professions Council are pretty strict on which countries they'll recognise as training professionals to the same standard as the UK, so there are a lot of countries where you can train as a Physio and not be able to work in the UK.

It's also a problem with some foreign-trained medical doctors - which is why the BMA have recently started offering training posts where doctors who trained in countries with non-recognised Medicine degrees can basically get signed off as competent clinicians.
A similar thing does not, sadly, exist for other professions. Which is why there are lots of African nurses working in Healthcare Assistant posts, often in adult mental health/learning disabilities settings.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

If I could reach that far, I'd do my work from the comfort of my bed, but each to their own I suppose.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

superliminal posted:

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1406947513857462276

alienating their entire voting base is fine because the home county nimby freaks will surely vote Labour

This is also quite funny where I live, considering the Labour Council is planning to give planning permission for developers to build on Green Belt land. I got an email from them saying (I paraphrase):
"The Tories would build everywhere, but we only want to put 9% of our new homes on the Green Belt."

The same council who asked National Rail to build a new train line and station to connect to a brand new housing development and then hosed up the contracts for the development to the point that the station's been open I think 2 years now and they still haven't built a single house/flat/shack on the land.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wow, how many residents did the Jewish Chronicle reporter have to speak to before they gave up and went to find a Starbucks to make up the quotes?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Matt Hancock's been shagging his aide.

https://twitter.com/MrRobertTimothy/status/1408237133505105921?s=20

He's such a massive loving dweeb, I fail to see the appeal.

Who can understand the affairs of the wallet heart.

It could make one wonder - between having an affair with one of his aides and taking every opportunity to financially benefit from the pandemic, how did Matt Hancock find time to do any of his actual work? But that would imply that Matt Hancock ever does any of his actual work.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Hancock going at least makes it less likely that Dido Harding will be front-and-centre to asset-strip the NHS.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Friday or Saturday nights are fair game, I think. Sucks if you work weekends and/or nights, but if that's a long-term thing I think you acclimatise, given time. Or get sound-proofing.

I'm not really one to judge, mind you. I sleep terribly at the best of times, so it takes next-to-nothing to wake me up.

Fun - if slightly disgusting story - I woke up this morning to a larynx full of stomach acid (hurrah for reflux) and just about managed to get to my sink to spit out what was in my mouth, let what was in my nose drip uncomfortably out my nostrils and swallow (truly delightful) the rest before I needed to take a breath. I am at least glad I managed to suppress my usual wake-up instinct of "breath deep" this time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Good luck owning a house

FTFY

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm also enjoying finding out that classified MoD documents were found in a soggy heap behind a bus stop in Kent, for the sheer incongruity of it.

- If they weren't stolen, why would you take 50 pages out of whatever bag you were carrying them in before you got home/to another office? And them dump them behind a bus stop?
- If you're entitled to have access to them, why would you print them off in the first place, rather than just reading the secured PDF on your laptop?
- If they were stolen, why would you dump them behind a bus stop? If you've stolen the bag they're in, surely you just take the whole bag and sort out what's inside later?
- If this is just the MoD saying "We're vewy sowwy" to Russia, isn't there an easier way of doing it than some dogshit fake leak that also tests the water of public opinion on keeping troops in Afghanistan once the USA pulls out?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, saying "There's no magic money tree" when the Tories just spunked up hundreds of millions for a new royal yacht makes you look like a loving idiot.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

namesake posted:

Because we'll have Normal Politics after this winter and then he should be in his element lol

It's odd. They don't seem to have factored in that 'not dealing with a pandemic' also makes things easier for the Tories.
As if the next 3 years are going to be anything less than the Tories replying "Yes, but we dealt with covid :smuggo: " on repeat whenever anyone criticises them.

Part of me thinks that Starmer is probably safe for now because a leadership election during the pandemic would be bad, but Labour's process takes so loving long you may as well kick it off the moment the Tories win Batley & Spen by 20.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Noxville posted:

Lmao still utterly, totally clueless

I think the loonies that frontbencher is talking about and the loonies the Tories are talking about are two very different groups of people

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

'our party members are malevolent, insane cranks, our electoral defeats are their fault, and frankly we'd be better off without them'

excited to see the end point of this strategy

What that senior aide is basically admitting is:
"Labour members hate him, Labour MPs hate him, and the Unions hate him".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My employer is still reporting low numbers with Covid, and single digit numbers requiring enhanced care.
It's not over, but it's not looking grim at the moment.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's something distinctly sickening about The Scum putting Raheem Sterling on their front page, considering the amount of racism they've directed towards him in the past.

I was at the pub for drinks last week, and waking up the next day, slightly hungover and smelling of cigarette smoke (because we were outside) reminded me of the late 90s and early '00s in a bad way.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Comedy answer for the non-music lovers: try out GBS.FM !. Basically, a repository of all sorts of music, much of which is - admittedly - borderline unlistenable or simply poo poo, but it's rare I walk away from 2-3 hours of listening without having checked out a couple of new artists.

And it's actually helped me tolerate death metal/black metal to a point I never thought I would.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's funny you should say that because the first time I saw it I was so stoned and drunk I legitimately thought I'd hallucinated it

I remember sitting at home one night watching Vanishing Point (I missed the first few minutes, so I wasn't 100% sure what was going on) and my older sister came back from a night out extremely drunk and flung herself onto a chair to watch TV, right at the point where a naked woman is riding around on a motorbike on-screen. She struggled to focus on the film for a little while, turned to me and asked "Is there really a naked woman on a motorbike?", to which I simply nodded. She looked at the screen a few more seconds and then - presumably not sure what was going on - decided to go to bed.

I thought about asking her what she remembered the next morning, but she wasn't really in the right mood.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Bad country music is probably worse than bad [other genre] music, but great country music is great.
He's not everyone's cup of tea, but most of Gram Parsons' output is wonderful.

Even the story surrounding his death is fantastic narrative (although the documentary about Gram I saw had an interview with his half-sister, which was a bit :smith: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
George Galloway's career for the last decade or so has been one long grift.
So if he seems 'woke' at any given time, it's because he's decided that's the tack he needs to take to keep the money and publicity coming in.

Whether he actually believes any of the poo poo he spouts is a question for him.