Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ThomasPaine posted:

I sometimes laugh when I remember discussing jobs with my parents because for so long they assumed the world was still like it was when they were my age in the late 70s/80s, where you could more or less turn up to a business with no qualifications and ask for a job and if they liked the look of you a good portion of the time they'd give you a shot. I still cringe remembering when they insisted I march around Newcastle as a 17 year old in the late 2000s with a stack of CVs handing them in to a bunch of very bemused people in their 20s/30s who clearly knew they were going straight in the bin, because obviously. I'm just glad they've seen the error of their ways and mellowed out a bit on the 'lazy millenials!!! :bahgawd:' poo poo now they're a bit older, but I guess having a kid with a PhD who can't find a job would probably do that. I for one love hearing about how I'd apparently have been able to walk into pretty much any uni and get a decent-paying position of some kind back in their day, it really does make me feel much better.

e: My partner's dad is an engineer and has told me at length about how his skills were in such demand when he entered the job market he was able to go back and forth between prospective employers and essentially make them bid on him, so he started off on an absurdly good salary. He's significantly more wealthy than my own parents and still pulls a lot of completely out of touch bullshit and I wonder how connected these things are.

Lotta boomers about who have found out what the modern job market is like in a swift and brutal fashion after losing theirs during the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Got mine booked in for this Sunday. The only irritating thing I found was that because it works solely by a radius around your postcode nearly every bookable centre was in Essex. So while it might only be 4 miles away in a straight line on a map, I’m in Kent with the River Thames in the way and it’s actually a 45 mile round trip via the Dartford Crossing.

Also I couldn’t book without booking the second one as well, which for some reason wasn’t available at the same place I’m having my first, so I had to pick some random place in London.

Yeah, I’ll be cancelling and rescheduling that one.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

kecske posted:

does this ever happen? I feel like it's one of those urban legends, like a swan breaking someone's arm

Yes this absolutely does happen and I know of countless personal examples all from people old enough to know better.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well folks I had my jab yesterday afternoon and it seems I’ve rolled a 2. Got sent home from work this morning and have spent the vast majority of today passed out on the sofa. Probably won’t be in tomorrow.

As it happens I’m 33 and got given Pfizer.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/educationgovuk/status/1406990765906145281

Got to say, I can't remember seeing a ratio so severe on a UK tweet before. At least that's something!

It really says something when even the gammons over at Pistonheads think it’s a bit fash.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s dumb as gently caress because I guarantee you any rental business that deals in powerful exotic cars has already fitted them with trackers/black boxes to ensure they aren’t abused or stolen. I know of some that have gone as far as remote killswitches to shut the engine down remotely if certain conditions arise.

Round where I am late night anti social driving is usually the domain of old underpowered hatchbacks with obnoxious exhausts/blow off valves and mopeds. Who this policy is aimed at is beyond me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Remember folks, "pump the brakes during a skid" is old deprecated advice from before ABS was in most cars, the current advice is to just steer toward the skid and, if you're in a manual, depress the clutch :eng101:

Hell don’t touch the brakes at all. The last thing you want to do during a skid is to transfer the weight to the front suddenly.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

My fiancée and her best friend has some bits to attend to in London yesterday (arranged well in advance - no idea England would be in the final at the time) and they had to cut it short because of the increasing masses of poorly behaved fans, and fending off constant groping attempts.

Of course in our own town centre things weren’t great either, so in the end we decided they’d get off the train at a quiet village and I’d come pick them up.

I wonder if the troublemakers were women holding a vigil for a murder victim the police would have done something.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

serious gaylord posted:

The McDonalds case is really interesting to me in how a marketing company so effectively changed the almost worldwide narrative of the incident. If you talk to most people who know about it, you'll get some variant of 'Someone spilled coffee on them while driving and carrying the cup between their legs and then complained that they weren't told it would be hot.' You know, spun like the person is an absolute idiot and it was just coffee, how bad can it be?

And then you actually read about it and realise that they weren't driving, it was a 70 year old lady who was a passenger and the car was still. McDonalds were keeping the coffee in a near to boiling state constantly and the cups they provided were not double walled so it would literally scald your hand from holding it. And that's even before you get into the injuries the poor lady received. It caused 3rd degree burns to her legs and genitals and in fact nearly killed her. And then you also hear they'd previously had over 500 complaints about customers being burnt and had still not done anything about it.

I believe their reasoning for the molten hot coffee was that when people were picking it up and driving to their work/home the execs still wanted it to be hot, and that could be a 20 minute trip.

I remember the distorted story being used by literally every company owner I have worked for as an excuse for not implementing some health and safety measure.

I will go out of my way in work and social situations to correct this every time it gets brought up because it’s amazing how pervasive the misinformation is.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Bobstar posted:

This. Even normally Correct people often come out with the "haha, stupid litigious American pours lukewarm coffee on herself while drifting"-adjacent variants, probably in part because it's reflexive to feel superior to Americans here in Europe.

Though I hadn't heard the keeping it hot on the long drive aspect, which is quite an American thing. They will drive a distance for food and drink that I would consider a burdensome trek, but that's car-centric sprawl for you. And no excuse for lava coffee.

That’s exactly the context it gets brought up in. The amount of people who think damages shouldn’t be a thing when someone gets hurt due to another parties negligence is amazing.

Then again something I’ve noticed particularly in online commenting is that there is always a contingent of people who will blame the victim no matter what.

Got severe food poisoning from a takeaway? Your fault for being lazy and not cooking your own food.

New house spewing sewage from the pipe work and your drive way is sinking? Your fault for buying a new build, should have bought something older instead.

Got raped during a night out? Your fault for being drunk and being out so late you harlot.

Also I have my coffee black which means its going to be far hotter than if it had milk, and I usually can’t even sip it until about 20 minutes after buying it - so who these people are who need their coffee to stay warm for hours are beyond me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

feedmegin posted:

Sooo random question/problem kinda.

I rent a house. The landlord has made a 'parking space' in front of the house when he remodelled it. This parking space isn't legal, according to a letter the council sent me a few weeks ago, because there's no dropped curb on the pavement in front of it (so anyone parking there is damaging the pavement). I have no car, so fine, but they have threatened to take me to court if I let anyone park there, and this rear end in a top hat in a giant white SUV has been doing so every other day or so for months now right in front of my front window (hence the letter the council sent me). I have no idea who he is. He's out of/into the car before I've ever seen him.

I put a note in my window pointing out it's illegal to park here. I've put up cones in the front yard - he just moves them out of the way and parks there anyway. I've put several notes on his windshield, the most recent of which points out a) he's trespassing and b) I can have his poo poo towed.

I can't just let it be given the whole council lawsuit possibility thing, so, um, what do? I don't actually want to escalate to calling a tow truck (and paying for it myself presumably, I'm already out 50 quid for the cones). As a tenant I can't put a proper fence in or anything. Or, y'know, my preferred alternatives of severe tire damage strips or caltrops. Can the council do anything given this is private property he's parking on?

I’m not a solicitor but the driver of the car is the one committing the offence of driving a vehicle over the pavement - not you. I expect the council has contacted you on the assumption of it being your car.

Are there any neighbours you’re on good terms with who can park their car on the road and block access?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JollyBoyJohn posted:

£30 quid on a 2 person takeaway, wtf?

Easily done with the likes of Chinese or Indian, but there’s usually leftovers for lunch the day after.

Where I am 2 large chicken kebabs, 2 small chips, service and delivery charge will set you back £26.50.

Worth it though, god it hits the spot.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Off topic (or not given the current flooding going on), but do folks like to watch extremely stupid people break their cars in entirely avoidable circumstances?

I’ve recently learned of a wonderful YouTube channel that’s basically the U.K. version of 11 ft 8”. Except inverted and full of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2c1YVHn6Y

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Angepain posted:

I like the moving camera showing that there's clearly one or more people just standing there waiting for cars to cross so they can film them and laugh. much more personal touch than the 11foot8 videos

You would think though upon approaching a ford with a high water level, a crowd of people watching and filming, and ducks swimming around, that might be a clue that you should find another way around.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh my word that Merc and its completely hosed engine will keep me warm at night for quite some time.

Sort of intrigued by the few that seemed to go through at the right kind of speed (in that the water never seemed to reach the grille) but still died immediately afterwards though - one or two might have just been electrics being outraged by the introduction of water, but some of them looked completely hosed.

It could be that the air intake is mounted in a very low position, or perhaps if the seals and gaskets are aged and deteriorating there could be water getting into the gearbox/crankcase/differential/etc.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I really feel for folks who have to drive in traffic - I will always make driving plans past 6pm if possible, I would hate to have to commute in a car and it would take like a wage doubling for me to give up my 20min walk to work. I was stuck in a stop-go jam for about 80mins just once recently on the A1 past the Metrocenter / Team Valley, about the only time I ever thought Yeah those folks with automatics, maybe they're on to something; Also one of these rolled past slowly in the opposite lane direction and I thought Oh big mood

It blows but it’s one of those things where if you have to you just get on and do it. With that in mind, heavy traffic and urban driving are so much more tolerable with an automatic - and having to cross the Dartford Crossing daily certainly had an influence on me making the switch.

The issue I find with heavy traffic isn’t so much the tedium and long travel times, it’s when idiots get impatient, do something stupid, cause an accident and make an already crap situation much worse.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Perfect Element posted:

Only one of these I can remember seeing at school was where a bunch of kids were having a day out on a farm, and I think by the end of the day most of of them were dead. I think one girl fell in a slurry pit, and another boy suffocated cos he ended up in a grain store?

Ooo that would be Apaches. If memory serves:

Crushed by a tractor.
Drowns in a slurry pit.
Ingests weed killer.
Crushed by a falling metal gate.
Drives a tractor off a cliff.

Hard to decide which is the worst between drowning in poo poo or the girl screaming bloody murder in the night while the weed killer melts her insides.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

There’s this amazingly violent classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXcbReCYwM

“Thiiiiiiiiiink aboooouuut thiiiiiiIIIiiiiIIIIIIs…” *gets blown up*

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Speaking of gender identity, enjoy this scorching take from the nice folks at Mumsnet:

quote:

I also think [video games] contribute to young people being dissatisfied with their birth sex. Loads of kids choose avatars if the other sex and being able to switch back and forth at a time when brains are very plastic I think lays down neural pathways that are hard to shift.

And I think the same applies to extreme realistic violence and sexual abuse.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

I gather she was arrested for sexually assaulting her mother it's pretty hosed up. And of course being one of the only people on the planet for whom gang stalking is a literal real thing, definitely is not a contributing factor to that.

I think that probably understates what’s happened, she has been regularly sexually assaulting her dementia-ridden mother and has described the acts in great detail.

I was aware of Chris Chan being a thing back around 2008-2010 but didn’t realise there was a dedicated community focused on trolling the hell out of her over the years since. There’s so many ways all this could have been avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

knox_harrington posted:

They make reasonable but boring appliance type cars that they hugely exaggerate the capabilities of. Essentially all electric cars are too new to be good value on the second hand market. Despite being ugly they are not at the cheap end of the market, more like idk BMW 3 series kind of price.

Renault sell a lot of Zoe EVs which are much more in line with what you're describing.

Ever since COVID the second hand market has been horrendously inflated anyway, nothing is really of good value right now and electric vehicles are even worse.

It’s a really bad time to get a car. I mean sure my car is worth a heck of a lot more than it otherwise would have been but so is every other car, so it’s not like I can take advantage of it if I was to get a new one.

Sounds like the housing market actually.