Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's very difficult to teach thinking abstractly in concrete terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I remember using it ~2005 to scrape forum threads I thought were going to get deleted on long-since-disbanded forums.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Blind drunk at dinner in Portugal in 2013, I was told two of the other people eating were Portuguese police officers. Like a true Brit I immediately demanded to know where Maddie was and they just as quickly shot back that it was the parents wot done it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The right-wing newspapers have orchestrated the entire system so that from unpaid internship onwards it's drilled into you that there's zero difference between working for good newspapers and bad newspapers, idiot. TV culture on the other hand is still dominated in the UK by BBC-types who vaguely imagine themselves to be furthering the entire medium as an example to the world, and especially those horrible yanks. Not surprised that GB News struggling to pick up the cream of the crop, at least at first.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Angrymog posted:

Does that page come up after you select 'cancel and rebook?'

It does yeah, bit confusing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The perfidious webdevs are who you're looking for. Always causing trouble.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

- Good lord, what is happening to your vote share?
- Tactical voting for the Liberal Democrats?
- Ta- Tactical voting? For the Liberal Democrats, in a safe Tory seat, in this part of the country, localized entirely within one by-election?
- Yes!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That Huff Post article descends into some absolute raving "bad for Jeremy Corbyn" by the end, where they're saying that Kier might get steamrolled by a challenge from the right and Coyne needs to win the Unite leadership so that sensible centrism can sweep the one event voters pay attention to, internal reforms to defang the left at the Labour Party conference.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The one person with a psychotic focus on the need for Keith to appear in a covid-free pub is a standout.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You have to take a Tom Allen. The British public will continue to receive Tom Allen until morale improves.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The real masochist's match was sweden v ukraine afterwards, where the players started brutally injuring each other in extra time until they could all barely stand.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Onsind song is absolutely a reference to the Propagandhi album, they're big fans iirc.

lol, came here to post this. My Propagandhi story is that when I saw them in london a few years ago I yelled for "Without Love" and they bumped a more popular song to play it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guavanaut posted:

About that last one...

No frills, handy for the hills, that's the way you spell New Mills.

The floods will surely sweep away the union bridge though, and the divide will deepen until New Mills proper will have to raid Newtown under cover of darkness for supplies of Swizzles confectionary.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/leomiklasz/status/1410887726690353152

the tweet says exactly what happens but it's still extremely funny to read. fuckin' beeb.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They are absolutely that evil but this is even stupider, the scientists had presumably finally gotten through to Hancock that every time he put his hand on the red hot "remove restrictions" button he got burned, so they've replaced him with someone willing to give it another go. There's a faction that literally haven't moved position since the start of the pandemic and they're back for another round.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Spangly A posted:

Hancock wasn't any smarter than that, he just fluked a win with the vaccines because he watched a film, then got himself too compromised to threaten SAGE members with the neil fergusson treatment

Definitely not accusing Hancock of being smart, yeah.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So princess kate has been double vaccinated apparently even though she only got her first one on the 28th of May. That seems awfully quick.

She's been reading reddit and driving around North London finding pharmacies that will do it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Spinoza in 'normie' is very unsettling.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Foucault under "soy" is also deeply suspect.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guavanaut posted:

As Zizek said of any successful philosophy media hot dog meme, I suspect it is more to provoke than describe. Toxic row/column both check out though.

Soy Schopenhauer/Toxic Schopenhauer fans is particularly on the money, lol.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Dead Goon posted:

Camus wasn't an existentialist.

That's how he saw it, but he can hardly stop us from saying it now.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

So that I contribute something more useful than shitposts to the Camus discussion, I wrote this up for a work chat where someone asked if Sisyphus "accepting the absurd struggle" meant learning to enjoy rolling boulders (a fair question!):

quote:

Sisyphus doesn't enjoy rolling the boulder; he just doesn't accept that his fate is to be miserable from not reaching the summit. Which is not to say he "chooses to be happy" or something trite like that, it's more that no external force or God or whatever that can determine his nature. Sometimes he will be happy and sometimes he will be sad, but these are human matters and not the result of divine or cosmic intervention. He can be made to spend all day rolling the boulder but he can't be made to care that he never reaches the top - and once he's made that choice, what is the power of the gods or fate to punish him?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/Fox_Claire/status/1412890095028514820?s=19

lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

UEFA needs to consider the possibility that Kasper was in fact emitting the spooky lasers.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Agile but it's the 80s and you're making cars instead of programming computers.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nigella confirmed UKMT poster

https://twitter.com/Nigella_Lawson/status/1414171669011259394

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lol, just seen that someone I once called out at uni for interviewing a fascist on the student radio station is now... producing Nick Ferrari's LBC show!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I'm quite fond of 'Three Lions' being the totem of English football ambition, because the saccarine original brings with it the existence of 'Three Lions 98' which is a song of true desperation. It even references a 0-0 draw with Italy!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Coming-home status could not be more "it's".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Noxville posted:

Took me a few moments but I guess what she’s saying is that she wants goals weighted according to how early the were scored. Which is very silly and tbh I don’t know why she’s being so obvious at inventing metrics where England would have won hen she’s not even English

They're Jo's wins, son.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

keep punching joe posted:

It's as real as Cameron loving that pig, Swinson murdering squirrels, and Ian Austin noncing dogs.

Specifically in this case, 'wurrance' is perhaps related to the 'Wurrance Telephene' who broke the Swinson Squirrel Stoning Story.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The fifteen minutes is for the severe unexpected anaphylaxis in response to the plastic they put in it, people are unlikely to be certain they aren't allergic to this mystery chemical and if they wander off they may not be able to recognise the (previously unexperienced) symptoms and get back in time for them to be effectively helped.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Number cloning is apparently ridiculously easy and the current trend in spam calling is to pretend to be numbers similar to the one you're dialing so people will pick up out of curiosity or something? Either way it means getting spam calls from numbers like yours and also getting angry return calls from people who have been rung from your cloned number.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Project for a New Infected Century

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The computers in Jurassic Park are (mostly) SGI workstations running IRIX, of the kind ILM were using to render the big CG T-Rex at the same time.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Can't believe Dawn Foster had Giles Coren swatted.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Tesseraction posted:

Third-hand story here so very "my uncle at NumberTendo" but apparently a) the government already has an August lockdown planned because b) they didn't want a repeat of the Christmas Is Cancelled farce from 7 months ago with Freedom Day.

There's also the mention of the name Josh. Which will either become interesting news or prove the source is full of poo poo, but that's all I'll say on the matter.

the gently caress?!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lol, that gigantic brain QC is in the replies:

https://twitter.com/JeffSamuels16/status/1418919885636317184

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Well when the Olympics came to Britain they mounted anti-aircraft guns on apartment buildings and rounded up the local cyclists before the opening ceremony, so nothing seems too outlandish for the IOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Azza Bamboo posted:

I still don't see how a "digital currency" is different to the pound, or how they replicate it oblige crypto currencies to bend to the pound? It just sounds like rebranding ordinary money.

Bitcoin-based ventures like this operate entirely in the realm of buzzwords and don't have to actually do anything, or even exist.