Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the ol job searching is pretty rough, of my family only my nan has done the "well you just gotta hand out your cvs" advice at the times when I've been looking. My mum and uncles were always a bit more understanding about how hard it could be.

I basically just lucked into the career I'm in, I thought my first job in the industry was probably a scam but figured I'd apply anyway just in case and it turned out to be real, just kind of snowballed from there. There were a few years where it felt like I couldn't get a job doing what I was already doing at a better place (not contracting and just paid alright) and couldn't get a job at the next level because I either didn't seem to have the experience or couldn't sell that on my application perhaps. Now I've got what I'd probably have said was my dream job and it's..... alright I guess. There's a lot of hassle and stress.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

Wow the HR manager at my partner's work just sent her a calendar invite titled Exit Interview. That sure is one way to break the news to your staff.

Jeez, a coworker I worked with at my last place got similar treatment. Got invited to a meeting with our boss and they’d left the reply chain leading up to that rather than starting a new one for that meeting suggestion.

It had stuff like “I don’t care how you do it, I want him gone by the end of this month” and poo poo like that. So he quickly knew this was not a good meeting or even a potentially salvageable situation. They were poo poo anyway and he’s gone on to something better as well so eh.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jeez, this has been the roughest week in memory for me. Managed to go for years without doing overtime in my previous few jobs, then every day this week I've done an hour or two extra cause they schedule big meetings/playthroughs near the end of the day that creates a bunch of stuff for me to do and leaving it until the next day will just lead to me missing or forgetting poo poo because a bunch of new things will be evident in the build that goes up overnight.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 17, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

kyojin posted:

This poo poo sucks. I recently started a new job and my boss stated outright that I'm expected to work more than my hours as a normal matter of course and if I don't I shouldn't expect to work there for long. It's extra loving tremendous because the organisation is a mental health-adjacent charity, really great to have all my delusions about making a positive contribution to society immediately shat into the bin yet again

You sound like you have it worse than me to be honest. I'm kind of imposing this on myself because I won't let stuff just be utterly hosed (even if it is still somewhat hosed because of spectacularly bad planning that I've had little input in). It's games so I probably should have expected to be doing it occasionally.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This might be a super dumb question, do the machines that check your tickets care about the time and whether a ticket is for off peak or not or is that the sole domain of actual human inspectors? Asking cause my work wants people to start coming into the office 3 days a week next month, they have flexitime but I don't want to start work at 10 and finish at 6:30 every day. I'd read that flexible season tickets (for people like me who'd be working from home half the time) were going to be introduced at some point this year when I took the job so thought I'd be alright but they seem to not be happening now. If get off peak tickets daily for the days I need to go in, it's around £128 per month, if I get peak time ones then it'd go up £180-190 and a monthly ticket is £294 so would definitely prefer to just buy an off peak one each day even if queueing is a hassle.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ah gently caress it then, will swallow the extra 60 quid. Stupid expensive trains and stupid places not letting me work fully remote. Cheers though.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 20, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just saw this - apparently these flexi season tickets are available now: (England only)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/flexi-season-ticket-rail-passengers-b1869419.html

Oh hey, perfect timing. Cheers for linking it.

Guess there just wasn’t many info about when I googled it as it wasn’t rolled out yet, also google seems to have gotten a lot worse at actually finding relevant stuff these days.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Sorry in advance for the vent/whine. I'm really struggling with my now not new job, been there for 4 months now. I sort of thought this thing would be my dream job but it's just...... not. I feel stressed out and drained all the time even over the weekends, a bunch of aspects of the job are super outside my comfort zone and in such a way that isn't going to get easier as I know myself reasonably well at this stage of my life. It's at the point where I'd be relieved if they fired me but I don't think they are going to do that, they seem to think I'm doing fine (also being fired would probably make getting another job much harder so probably best not to wish for that). Part of the issue is I'm supposed to be recruiting people for my team right now and I'm finding it pretty hard to try and sell the position because if I'm not happy, how the hell can I try and entice someone else into it?

What's really pushed this into the forefront of my mind is this Friday just gone me and a bunch of friends took the day off, met up (I think we were pretty safe so I don't feel guilty about that) for the first time since Feb 2020, met someone who was a friend of a friend who joined our gaming group on discord for the first time, had some beers in a park and then went for a burger and some more drinks and it was just.... fantastic but what I noticed is they're all really happy and satisfied with their jobs. Like for them, the day off was just another day that was obviously more fun, but it wasn't an oasis in a desert of misery.

As a result I've basically just spent the entirety of yesterday and most of this morning so far trying to find something much chiller and then going back and forth over whether it's loving stupid to be thinking about leaving this job so soon. The thing is I've felt this way about the last few jobs I've had, I thought they were a great opportunity and then they've turned out to not be what I want at all, beginning to think it's the type of job in general and I'd feel more happy doing something else but taking the time to work out what I actually want to do is a bit of a risk. A part of me honestly wouldn't mind just battening down the hatches, using my savings from this job so far for a few months and just going for walks/exploring a bit most days. Felt so cooped up the last year and a half.

Somewhat relevant to this current discussion and probably also contributing to my negative feelings, in a few weeks they're going to start asking people to come into the office 3 days a week, which is in my contract but in the interviews they were pretty clear about it being "when people feel comfortable" but now it seems like it's "when the bosses are bored enough of working from home" situation. I sort of felt up for it back then, mostly because I was desperate for a job I suppose but now that I've worked from home for a few months I don't really feel I'm going to get much benefit out of spending an extra couple hundred a month, that's with the new flexible season tickets even and a few hours of my day, 3 days a week just to be in the office and get some of this fabled "collaboration and that cool spark you get from all being in the same room", maybe I just don't have much faith that it'll do much good for me.

Not sure what I'm expecting in response to this, just needed to put it down somewhere and this thread has good eggs who hand out decent advice I find. Most of my friends have said "life's too short to be unhappy but it's easier to find a job while you have a job" which is generally true but does feel like I'm locking myself in for the long haul since people would probably ask why I'm looking elsewhere so soon.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

This is a very good post.

Can I also recommend you look up imposter syndrome and read up on that too.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of this combined with some of the role just not being in my wheelhouse (and this was stuff they didn't mention or ask about in interviews). Cause it's a relatively small company though I am just worried that I'll gently caress up and genuinely cost them a lot, same reason I'm wondering if I should quit now rather than later on when me potentially leaving would be harder to recover from rather than continue on when my heart isn't quite in it.

In any case, cheers for the chipping in of advice everyone I've not quoted and the PM offers and stuff (I might take you up on the offer Jakabite).

I won't do anything rash like quit anytime soon, although I am more fortunate than most with a very understanding family and have managed to save quite a bit so far. Going to do some soul searching and try and figure out what I would actually like to do if not this in the future as well.

I honestly think if I could work like, 4 day weeks but slightly longer days and then have a wildcard day off each week that'd probably be enough for me. I think walking around in my local town on Friday made me just really wistful for being able to do that occasionally after a year+ of not being able to really and it'll probably start getting cold again soon enough.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 4, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If my workplace has "wellbeing days" that you can take off with a max of one per month if an employee feels the need and I use one of those on an otherwise important day am I a shithead? I'm going to try and make sure as much of what I'm being relied upon is taken care of beforehand and I've made sure everything required can be done in my absence if needed, it's just the week is already getting on top of me and it's only Tuesday. I basically didn't take Friday as holiday like I wanted because I felt like there was a decent chance they'd say no, they've let me take next Monday and Tuesday off.

I suppose I'm also wondering, if they did decide that I was taking the piss by doing this, would they have any sort of recourse given this is in our employee handbook as a thing we can do 3 times per year, once per month max for any reason and with no notice? Feels like you can't offer that and then get mad when people utilise it right? I guess this is something only I'd know given it's my company and their culture but it's kind of still a black box to me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

https://twitter.com/karamballes/status/1420040653434675206

So sick of it all.

Just constant overwhelming tidal waves of hateful, harmful bullshit, spread by liars, psychos and lunatics, engulfing us all, setting the narrative and the tone before we even realise it's happening, and here we all are holding up our little cocktail umbrellas like Wile E. fuckin' Coyote trying to hold it back

Deeply depressing tweet but i know that guy so this a slightly weird intersection of the UKMT and real life here. Good egg and a union guy through and through.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Our work delayed going back into the office about a month ago, Monday just gone they went "oh we're going to try that again in two weeks, so everyone back in the office tuesday-thursday every week after the bank holiday!" and I'm pretty grumpy about it tbh. I suspect the "enhanced collaboration and benefits of being in an office" will not be a thing for me or my team and it's mostly going to be a couple hours a day of commuting as it gets colder and wetter and also costing us a couple hundred a month so we're essentially getting a paycut since all of us have started with working from home being a thing. I find open plan offices very distracting as well so I suspect my work might start suffering.

Seems very short sighted cause I've seen a lot more QA roles offering full remote (even saw one that has a 4 day week as standard, literally living the dream) so might start polishing up the ol CV, loads of people I know seem to job hop pretty quickly these days so I feel like I've wasted a lot of time worrying about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone able to render any advice on my job situation here? Everyone has been working from home for over a year now though I only started in March so 5 months, so far it's been fine (I have issues with the job but I mean the working from home part).

Next week we were due to all go back into the office with it being "flexible" in their words which means everyone is in tuesday to thursday, their rationale for everyone being back in is "to improve collaboration and team cohesion, get more of the social aspects back in to work" etc, etc. The only thing I can't do from home is testing on the dev kits for the new consoles I guess so I was reasonably fine with going in but grumpy a bit. It's gonna be 6 hours a week commuting and something like £220 a month even with these new "flexitickets" so not an amazing deal compared to the last few months but its in my contract that I'm in 3 days a week when that becomes possible and I was fine with it when I got the job, preferable to being unemployed was my logic.

They've done such a bad job making people aware we were coming in that when they reiterated it today many, many people expressed surprise and said in the morning meeting "oh so I'll bring in my equipment then". Which set the cat amongst the pigeons for my team and prompted me to ask on slack what exactly they meant by that, since if we have to bring in our equipment, that'd leave us high and dry working from home the other two days. I figured it might be that the people who were working there when lockdown started had grabbed some stuff from the office or something. The CEO of the company said "we can discuss your situation separately" and my other two team members also basically asked "I too would like to know since I'm in the same situation" on the same thread.

I was super busy pretty much the whole day but the guy did get in touch with one of my team members and had a very quick chat that was supposed to "clarify" things but she was about as confused afterwards as she was before. She said that initially it seemed like they only had the one computer per worker so it seemed like the situation was we had to bring our stuff in but then she said she over the course of the conversation it got muddied a bit and at the end she still didn't know whether she had to bring her equipment in or she might just be able to work from home full time so he really did a bad job communicating, he's quite an intimidating guy to me tbh and she said he seemed stressed so he was probably just really unclear (or he might have been an absolute shithead to her, I have no idea). I'm going to find out myself tomorrow so I can relay to the team but I'm expecting it to be a "shut up and deal with it" situation personally.

For me and the two people on my team, we don't live in the town work is in and obviously if we have to be in the office and need our equipment there then we'd be leaving it there the entire time as moving a PC tower and screen in and out of work on the train is untenable. I'm going to try and wrangle working from home as much as possible for my team but we feel pretty lied to if it turns out we can "work from home" but only if we have the equipment for the work already. If being in the office some of the time is in our contract but it's "optional" and there's nothing about supplying equipment, there's pretty much nothing we can do in that regard is there? Really feels like that should have been brought up at some point that the equipment was just the poo poo from the office but maybe that's me and both people on my team being stupid.

One of my friends is convinced this https://www.acas.org.uk/working-from-home has them snookered but I am unconvinced. Feel like the fact that nothing was written down probably snookers me in fact.

For me I was already sorta looking elsewhere or even considering jacking it in with nothing else lined up some % of the time cause there's other aspects I'm hating but I feel bad having gotten two people into jobs on my team only to leave them high and dry if I were to leave.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 26, 2021