Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...ndroidApp_Other

Extremely good Gary younge long read about why all statues are fuckin stupid and should be torn down, even the ones which aren't of cunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Financial literacy has been deliberately omitted from school curriculums.

I don't know if this is the case or not (lol it probably is), but it is absolutely something which should be taught, and isn't. Basic budgeting, and an understanding of how interest rates and contract terms work would be helpful to so many people.

Of course, the broader point is that these would contribute to critical thinking skills, which is definitely something which is being suppressed from the curriculum.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
We have an awkward situation in my band, cos one of the guys never stands his round. On the one hand he is poorer than the rest of us (minimum wage), but on the other hand he chooses to have a phone contract of £140 per month (literally seven times what I'm paying lol) because he always wants the latest phone, and splurges loads of money on gadgets and gaming peripherals all the time.

He therefore only ever has like a few quid in his account, which means he never gets us a drink. Where does this out put him on the bastard scale, and where does it put me for moaning about it?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
He has the Samsung folding phone which is worth like £1300, plus the plan itself, then they upsold all the bells and whistles cos they saw him coming.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

blunt posted:

Sounds like he needs a talking to about cheating on rounds or a suggestion that he should just buy his own instead if that's easier/better for him, but how much he spends on his phone contract (or anything else he spends his money on) shouldn't have any bearing on that. You're not his financial planner, you're his aggrieved drinking buddy.

Well yeah, this is why it's aggravating. I'm not gonna lecture the guy, it's just frustrating to hear him moaning about not being able to afford eating / drinking when his spending habits elsewhere are so ridiculous.

Also, Jedit, you sound like a terrible night out.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Tory mp on c4 news tonight saying he supported footy fans booing the knee because BLM openly admit to wanting to destroy capitalism?

While this is obviously a noble endeavour, Im pretty sure it's also not true.

Really awesome how the government are really ramping up the culture war stuff with this plus criticising that (possibly formerly) racist cricketer getting suspended.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
We had a senior philosophy lecturer who was a lecherous piece of poo poo and would turn up at student nights to pick up girls, and who knocked up more than one. He also had a terminally ill and severely disabled wife so... Well, a lot of dark poo poo going on there.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Everything about that brewdog response is nauseating and horrible. All the, 'you spoke. We listened.' bollocks, the 'were actually a teensy bit hurt :(' stuff. It's so synthetic and cloying, and this kind of implied threat running throughout it makes it seem genuinely kind of sociopathic.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
My confusion over the gmb news thing is that we just don't seem to have the same news channel culture over here as there is in the states, so I don't really understand who's gonna be watching it at all.

I feel like the majority of people who have the telly on all day just generally stick it on BBC / ITV, as opposed to Sky News or whatever, and they just happen to get some news every few hours, rather than consciously tuning into it.

And I don't feel like Andrew Neil is gonna be a big enough draw to change people's viewing habits so drastically.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
You'd think it would be easy enough to set up a charitable initiative where, in the case of TVs, ipads etc., stock can be sold and profits go to charity or something. Then you don't face the potential horror of giving something away customers for FREE

I guess the vast, vast majority of the stuff will be complete tat though, clearly of no interest to anyone, even for free.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The micro USB port on my s7 is hosed (cables just fall out if I don't position the phone and cable to within a millionth of a millimetre of the right position , as the port I think has been eroded after years of sleepily trying to plug the jack in the wrong way. Micro USB sucks so much) . I've owned this phone for like... 6 years now, and other than the charging it still works perfectly.

I really don't wanna upgrade, because it seems so wasteful when this phone does literally everything I need it to. Other than recharge.

Does the thread hive mind have any suggestions about what I could do? It doesn't seem like an easy fix.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
These are all top suggestions, thanks!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Oof, 27 covid deaths today, which is ten more than this time last week. That's nearly a 40% increase.

This seems bad?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Venomous posted:

quoting this so it isn't missed on the new page: Channel 4 is about to be privatised, and there's nothing we can do about it

This is the fifth review into privatising it lol. Just keep on reviewing it til they get the result they want.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
You could also, y'know, just have a word with your neighbours, explain the situation and try to come up with some kind of compromise.

There is a middle ground between ALL THE PARTIES ALL THE TIME and setting the pigs on them.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ndroidApp_Other

Brewdog prove themselves to be full of poo poo, yet again.

Can't help but feel that if they so go public the shares are gonna bomb like hell.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I don't know wtf that cartoon is, but imo Ayoade needs to be in the oval office column because he does adverts for HSBC.

E: and not just voice overs, he's actually on screen.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He's married to Fox's sister.

Limmy talked about going to his dinner party and why he thinks he's a oval office, but I can't find the clip, I've posted it in a UKMT thread before.

E: think it's this clip and he's playing dark souls ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LZr4-4vI8

Jesus, this video could be 3 mins long rather than 25 if he could string a sentence together. I love Limmy, but is all his streaming stuff like this?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Pitchfork did a 'top 200 albums of the 2010s' list which I'm slowly working my way through.

I've discovered loads of great artists that way, and have learnt just to ignore stuff that I can't get into (all the dance music, all the Beyonce albums).

Combined with a list of about 300 metal albums I've pieced together from goon recommendations in the metal thread, I'm doing pretty well with listening to new stuff.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Doesn't even make sense rly.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Will businesses be allowed to insist on masks being worn on premesis? Similar to... Idk, a dress code in a bar or having to take your shoes off at a swimming pool or whatever.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
South Park got stale, but I don't think I've ever laughed harder at anything on screen than the episode where they take a photo of Kennys arse poking out of his hood, and the family reaches out thinking its their missing kid.

Oh to be an extremely stoned teenager again...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Proper gutted about Dawn. Never seemed anything less than absolutely lovely, always had her head on right, and that rarest of jewels, a UK media person who wasn't a danger.

Same. Truly heart breaking. As if we didn't already know it, but... There truly is no justice.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Noxville posted:

On that topic, this is just naked racism from self-proclaimed Antisemitism expert Ian Austin. Course, everyone in the media will just ignore it and continue going to him for quotes about why the Left are the real racists.

https://twitter.com/lordianaustin/status/1417581840832024586?s=21

Wow, that's genuinely appalling.

An NHS app question : I had to get a new phone cos my old one completely died. I have had to reinstall the app, but so far as I can tell there's nothing linking the app on my old phone to this one. So any potential covid contacts I may have had are just lost, I guess?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Consider Phlebas also has a planet with a mobile train command center that can constantly move. So I think the two thngs banks likes are people playing games during the apocalypse and train forts.

and writing lots of freaky sex scenes

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
God I love this thread. We hate the fash, the libs and centrist melt cunts, and we support our comrades every time.

I hope reverting back to the old meds helps you, minema :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

This was like 10,000 years ago bruh.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Any chance the WWII chat could move elsewhere? It derails so many threads.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I know everyone here loves the BBC unquestioningly, but when they can't show wall to wall Olympics on red buttons what's even the point?

Yeah, the IOC sold the rights to Discovery+ , so most of it is paywalled by a service I’d literally never heard of. Seems like a pretty spectacular own goal by the IOC in the long term, as you’d imagine that advertisers and sponsors are not gonna be happy that most of the general public are gonna miss a bunch of coverage.

It’s difficult to get Olympic fever if all you’re watching is highlights, and I imagine viewing figures are gonna drop off as interest was already fairly low this year anyway.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Exciting road/parking query: one of our neighbours extended their driveway, so now half of it adjoins a raised curb. Parking on my street is bad and getting worse, so I am getting increasingly tempted just to block off half their driveway when I have to, because I'm pretty sure it's allowed? Otherwise presumably everyone could just pave over their front gardens and then there would be NO STREET PARKING LEFT ANYWHERE.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

feedmegin posted:

I got a letter from the council because some shithead stranger keeps parking in the 'parking spot' my dodgy landlord put in without a dropped kerb to match it, threatening to sue me if I (the tenant, in no position to put a fence in place or anything) let them keep doing it. So, like, maybe write to your council?

Yes I remember your unfortunate saga :( (definitely cover the car in bird seed and film the result)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Only one of these I can remember seeing at school was where a bunch of kids were having a day out on a farm, and I think by the end of the day most of of them were dead. I think one girl fell in a slurry pit, and another boy suffocated cos he ended up in a grain store?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is the scariest PSA i've ever seen. I think the first time i saw it i just wanted to die right there and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOk2Akqb3CI

LOL loving hell. Was this shown specifically to kitchen workers... Or is slipping on grease such a common occurrence in Canada that this was broadcast on national TV?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I finally took the plunge and bought a bike! A Giant hybrid. Got the man in the shop to show me how to remove and then reattach the front wheel so I could drive it home. Now I've got it home, reattached the front wheel, and somehow now the front linear pull brake is super loose and it doesn't work and welp back to the shop for me. Being a complete amateur in anything is super embarrassing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Post a picture, my guess is you've unhooked the cable from one of the mounts and it just needs to hook back in.

That's really nice of you, serious gaylord, but I've packed it back into the car now to see if the shop can fix it! I'm worried that I've exacerbated whatever minor slip up I made in the first place, so figure it's best just to take it back to the pros and let them laugh at me and hopefully sort it out.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bobstar posted:

2nd Pfizer received, no terrible side effects overnight, woop woop. I do have a nasty sore throat but I think that's more because I blasted some baked beans into my face before they'd cooled down properly :(

Me too! Although my arm absolutely cains this morning and I feel like I drank about give five pints part last night (which I didn't!!!)..

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Sorry about your dog twisto. She looked lovely. Losing a pet is a really tough and weird thing to live through.

Barry : go to the festival man. Take the precautions, and if anyone's being a oval office just walk away. Smoke a spliff in the sunshine and soak up some tunes. Life is for living.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I fixed my bike (or rather got the nice man in the shop to fix it for me) - the front and rear brake cables had somehow all popped out of their fixtures so there was no tension. Now they've been popped back and I will be able to do it myself in future. Yay, learning.

Now - is anyone able to recommend a decent cycle route planner? Google maps seems very inconsistent : for some journies I've looked at it will take me down cycle paths. For another, eg from where I live to the next town, it's telling me to cycle down a dual carriageway even though there is literally a cycle path running parallel next to it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for the recommendations all. I've downloaded Komoot and it seems pretty decent. Don't know if I'll bother with real time navigation for a while. I'm wobbly and inexpert enough on the bike already without squinting at a phone at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Cycled about 8k in my lunch break. I was a lot of fun but I forgot how much effort is required to go up even pretty small hills and secondly OH MY GOD MY ARSE. I seem to remember that not long ago someone recommended some kind of revolutionary bum-saving accessory you can get... Anyone care to make that recommendation again?