Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for May, 2021?
This poll is closed.
:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW World Champion) 21 22.11%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 30 31.58%
:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW Women's Champion) 19 20.00%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.05%
Rika Tatsumi (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) 12 12.63%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 1 1.05%
:leavemtg: Will Ospreay (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 7 7.37%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) 1 1.05%
:pkmnwhy: Rhea Ripley (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx∞ Champion) 0 0%
Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:yaycat: (None of the Above) 3 3.16%
Total: 95 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In April, nobody could deny Kenny Omega. Not the Young Bucks. Not Rich Swann. And not Punch Suplex (Tokyo Joshi) Pro either. With 35% of the vote against his nearest competitor (and fellow AEW Champion Hikaru Shida) with 19%, Kenny Omega easily took the win for the second month in a row. The Belt collector has the AEW Championship and the Impact Championship to his name now, plus of course the AAA Mega Championship though he hasn't defended that so far this year... but was challenged for it towards the end of April by the newly free Andrade which... well that's just goddamn awesome. Outside of Kenny it was of course Hikaru Shida in second place, with Bianca Belair's Wrestlemania main event and title win earning her a third place spot with Tokyo Joshi Pro's Rika Tatsumi close behind in 4th.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Jun Akiyama (DDT), Keiji Mutoh (NOAH), RUSH (ROH), Suwama (All Japan), Utami Hayashita (Stardom), & VENY (SEAdLINNNG) did not defend their titles, and so have been dropped from the poll for this month. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW World Champion) - Kenny didn't defend his IMPACT or AAA championships this month, but he can still be voted for because he DID defend his AEW World Championship... and boy did he defend it! In an incredible title match at Double or Nothing, Omega defended against both PAC and Orange Cassidy, the latter of whom he did everything in his power to try and convince to pull out. Omega came desperately close to losing on multiple points in the match, to the point that manager Don Callis leaped out of commentary screaming,"poo poo! poo poo!" when he thought all was lost. After intruding on the match to save his client, Callis helped Omega get the advantage with multiple belt-shots to his opponents, but even then it took a desperation move by Kenny to score the surprise pinfall at the end and escape just barely with his title reign still intact.

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - Shida finally achieved her dream on the last day of her year+ title reign. Appearing at AEW's Double or Nothing, she was given a live mic and got to deliver a promo in English, before proceeding to have one hell of a match where she was finally, after an incredible final few minutes, forced to submit to...

:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW Women's Champion) - She did it! The continual evolution of Britt Baker from talented but seemingly out of place women's wrestler to a natural heel rear end in a top hat to a beloved fan-favorite culminated at Double or Nothing where she won the Women's Title (she's also finally getting her action figure she kept demanding!). Growing in confidence and skill over the last year both in-ring and on-the-mic, her victory was greeted by Tony Schiavone throwing aside kayfabe for a moment to go and embrace the woman he has been a small part of helping grow and develop into the absolute star, and now champion, she has become in 2021.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Bianca followed up her Match of the Year Contender at Wrestlemania against Sasha Banks with another successful title defense at Wrestlemania Backlash, this time against 2020's other most valuable player for WWE alongside Sasha: Bayley. Bianca has now defeated arguably the two best women wrestlers in WWE (and some would argue among the best in the world) and continues to go from strength to strength.

Rika Tatsumi (FORMER Princess of Princess Champion) - Rika sought to avenge her heartbreaking loss to Miyu Yamashita in their first title match three years ago by challenging the ace of TJPW to try and take away her championship. Unfortunately for the White Dragon, her heart was once again broken as Miyu proved why she is considered the best of the best in Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) - For the first time in two years, the ace stands atop TJPW after once again proving herself Rika Tatsumi's better. However, Miyu is in for a tough road ahead if she wants to equal her own record of ten successful defences with her first challenger coming in the form of the only other multiple time champion in TJPW's history, her career rival and long-time friend Yuka Sakazaki in one of three main event matches at CyberFight Festival in Saitama Super Arena. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - Roman Reigns was challenged by Cesaro, who he said didn't belong on his level and had zero chance of beating him and wasn't to be taken seriously or bothered with because he was no threat whatsoever. At Wrestlemania Backlash, Roman Reigns cleanly defeated Cesaro by referee's decision, thus succeeding in making nobody come out of the feud stronger.

:leavemtg: Will Ospreay (FORMER IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - In an absolutely incredible match, Ospreay defeated living dragon Shingo Takagi in a close to 45 minute long match at New Japan's Wrestling Dontaku. The scene seemed set for Ospreay to try and bury the agony of past defeats against human God Kazuchika Okada at a mid-year Tokyo Dome show, but a series of events put paid to that. A new State of Emergency was declared in Tokyo. Okada got COVID-19. Then suddenly it was announced Ospreay had returned to England and vacated the title due to injury. There was speculation about whether the injury was as bad as feared or just an excuse to get out, or a combination of both, but regardless of any of that the IWGP Championship has been vacated and for now New Japan has no World Heavyweight Champion.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) - Bobby Lashley's manager MVP tried to turn the threats against his client/friend against each other, attempting to convince Drew McIntyre and Braun Strowman that the other was trying to cost them their shot at the title. In the end it didn't work, and Lashley had to fight both men at the same time at Wrestlemania Backlash... which he did, and won clean. Again. He's the heel by the way.

:pkmnwhy: Rhea Ripley (Raw Women's Champion) - After her victory over Asuka at Wrestlemania, Rhea Ripley sought to avenge her humiliation at the year's previous Wrestlemania by defeating Charlotte. At Backlash (now called Wrestlemania Backlash) she did just that, defeating Charlotte and Asuka both in a Triple Threat match to retain her newly won title.

:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx∞ Champion) - Tsukka's May wasn't the most headline grabbing month of her title reign, but it was certainly the busiest as she racked up three separate title defences despite the state of emergency throwing Japan's wrestling scene into chaos, defeating Mochi Miyagi, Totoro Satsuki and Tae Honma all in the space of two weeks. Luckily for her, she gets almost a full month to relax before her next scheduled defence on June 27th. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - HipHop Kikuta had a dream, to both avenge his R.E.D. teammates as well as take not only Shun Skywalker's record as youngest Dream Gate Champion but also the fastest to get it from the state of his career. It was not to be however, as at the Dead or Alive Show at the start of May, Shun Skywalker defeated HipHop Kikuta by TKO in less than 5 minutes.

:yaycat: (None of the Above) - If you don't want to vote for any of these or just want to see the results or just like the warm, comforting feeling of being included and just wanna take part, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

4 days to vote, got in one last vote for Hikaru Shida because she rules and her matches were so great, and while Dr. Britt Baker DMD is gonna be a great champion too I'll get to vote for her (maybe) next month.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I need to watch the TJPW from the start of the month before voting but tbh it's highly unlikely I don't vote Ospreay because that match with Takagi was absolutely loving amazing, one of 2 matches from the month I have at 4 3/4 * & the other was for a cup so isn't in the poll.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’ll also vote for Shida one last time and in June it’s D M D ERA BABY

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also had ASUKA/Veny defended her title this month I wonder if she would have won the poll, because she had one hell of a month despite not having a title match.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
D

M

D

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hoping the AEW vote gets split and Miyu takes her place on the throne, joining her CyberFest challenger Yuka Sakazaki as the only TJPW reps to win the monthly poll

Jerusalem posted:

4 days to vote, got in one last vote for Hikaru Shida because she rules and her matches were so great, and while Dr. Britt Baker DMD is gonna be a great champion too I'll get to vote for her (maybe) next month.

No doubt you'll be voting for Shingo next month

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 1, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

God, this is one of the toughest months to make this choice in a long time. I could make compelling cases for:

Kenny Omega
Hikaru Shida
Dr. Britt Baker DMD
Miyu Yamashita

All of whom gave me amazing matches that really increased my appreciation of wrestling.

It's going to have to be Shida, just to cap off a great one year run. Although let me stress that it could just as easily have been Miyu.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Nobody's cooler than Miyu Yamashita.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miyu Rika was good but yeah, not better than Ospreay Takagi so Brexit Billy gets the vote

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Numero6 posted:

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Numero6 posted:

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1390064876681236481?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Numero6 posted:

I voted for Shida and don't regret it, but I have to admit it is hard to argue with this logic.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voted Will the Thrill for having the best match of the month and then loving over Gedo for his own health and safety even while champion.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I respect University learning, and Medical degrees. So I voted for the only Dentist on the list.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
gotta give it up for Bobby Lashley. all the man does is win

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 days to go and currently Shida holds the lead, but only by the skin of her teeth, with Dr. Britt Baker DMD only a couple of votes away from catching up and Kenny Omega not far behind her.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I voted for Shida and don't regret it, but I have to admit it is hard to argue with this logic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Voting for Miyu YamaShida

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I voted for Britt, but honestly, anyone of Britt/Miyu/Shida would be a worthy champion.

Kenny is a cheater.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shida

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jerusalem posted:

3 days to go and currently Shida holds the lead, but only by the skin of her teeth, with Dr. Britt Baker DMD only a couple of votes away from catching up and Kenny Omega not far behind her.

I love that it's coming down to the wire between these three

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't vote Britt, she held the title for about 3 hours of May after winning a match that peaked at pretty good. Gotta be Kenny at the end of the day

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days to go and the top three remain incredibly close, and the fourth spot isn't that far behind the 3rd, which arguably means 5th place is still in with an outside chance. If you vote, your vote will make all the difference, because voting is something that cool people do. Lame people also do it, but it is something they have in common with cool people!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Would be a protest vote for the lack of Fujita again this month but I'm instead voting for Shida because it;s very close.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Senerio posted:

Would be a protest vote for the lack of Fujita again this month but I'm instead voting for Shida because it;s very close.

Didn't defend the belt in May, doesn't get in the poll

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Doesn't explain the AEW wrestlers on non-PPV months.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Senerio posted:

Only month this year Kenny didn't defend the AEW title was February, and he wasn't on the poll that month. Dunno why Shida was on the poll that month but probably an oversight? These things happen

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Senerio posted:

Kenny was left off the February poll because he didn't defend the title in February.

Moxley was originally left off the August poll because he didn't defend the title in August, until it was pointed out that his title match against Darby Allin was recorded in March but broadcast in August. He was left off the July poll for not defending the belt in July.

J-Ru knows what's up.

forkboy84 posted:

Only month this year Kenny didn't defend the AEW title was February, and he wasn't on the poll that month. Dunno why Shida was on the poll that month but probably an oversight? These things happen

Justification was:

Jerusalem posted:

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) - Despite not defending her belt in February, Hikaru Shida makes it onto the poll under G1 rules: the entire month has been ALL ABOUT the AEW Women's Championship as an international tournament with an American and Japanese bracket has had a number of excellent women wrestlers beating the poo poo out of each other all for the chance for a shot at Shida's title. She's been there watching, setting up future storylines and getting involved in matches as she continues to raise the profile of the AEW Women's title to new heights.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 3, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Did my part and voted Britt. Change is good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With just over a day to go, 2nd and 3rd place are tied and both are well within reach of first. It seems whoever wins will be from AEW.... but WHICH champion will win it!?!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
smdh if people were thankful for Shida keeping the belt worth something there should be 0 votes for Britt, she can win it for June

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm trying to remember if a Former Champ has EVER won this vote. I can't remember it ever happening.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sanguinia posted:

I'm trying to remember if a Former Champ has EVER won this vote. I can't remember it ever happening.

After a quick squiz at the previous results, looks like the last time it happened was December 2018, when Becky Lynch won the poll after losing the title to Asuka

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm very excited to get to vote Shingo Takagi next month. And then Kzy the month afterwards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

After a quick squiz at the previous results, looks like the last time it happened was December 2018, when Becky Lynch won the poll after losing the title to Asuka

Poor PAC, so close and yet so far.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hard to imagine there was a time when more people voted for WWE Champions than the GHC Champion.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Still feels like a weird Lifetime Achievement thing to vote for someone who lost the belt on one of the weaker matches of her year-long reign, but apparently I'm way lower on Shida than most of this forum so whatever

Benne fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 4, 2021

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Benne posted:

Still feels like a weird Lifetime Achievement thing to vote for someone who never came close to winning this poll in a year of holding the belt, and dropped it on one of the weaker matches of her reign

She was in second last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I thought Shida's reign was really weak mostly because the company refused to get behind her and promote her as a star. But then again I'm the only one to vote for Bianca, so what do I know? :shrug: