Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I cannot figure this out. Why do double stuffed oreos have 140 calories and single stuffed oreos have 70 calories. They both have the same number of cookies. Am I daft? This has been bothering me all day. Oreo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Because they are cookie lies, and contain less than double the filling.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Embrace the mystery

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Because they are cookie lies, and contain less than double the filling.

More, surely? If two oreos have twice the energy of one, then if you take only the filling of the second one and add it to the first it should be less than twice the energy of the original biscuit.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
don't believe you, sorry. need photos of the nutritional info on the packaging

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Yes, please, take the necessary pictures and be sure there are reflective surfaces around so we can see your schlong

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's math stupid. Double Stuf therefore double calorie. 70 x 2 = 140.

It's not cookie algebra. 2x cookie + filling = 70, therefore 2x cookie + 2 filling = 140. That's a boring name for a cookie.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Real answer: because the filling is considerably higher in calories by weight than the wafers are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Real answer: because the filling is considerably higher in calories by weight than the wafers are.

There still has to be more of it than in two regular oreos though, because the biscuits must account for some of the energy.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

We have one standard Oreo at 160/3 = 53.3 calories while a Double Stuff Oreo is 140/2 = 70 calories.

If we assume that a double stuffed has exactly twice as much stuffing, we can construct the following series of equations:

160/3 = 2*c + f
140/2 = 2*c + 2*f

Where c is the number of calories in a single Oreo wafer and f is the number of calories in one standard Oreo filling puck. By solving this series of equations, we can calculate that each Oreo wafer would have 18.3 calories and a standard filling puck would have 16.6 calories. Assuming Oreos are truly double-stuffed, this implies that even in double-stuffed Oreos there are more calories in the wafers than in a double-stuffed sugar puck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I can't believe merk was lying to us this whole time. The entire thread, built on a foundation of sand.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Tiggum posted:

The entire thread, built on a foundation of sand.

too soon

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tiggum posted:

There still has to be more of it than in two regular oreos though, because the biscuits must account for some of the energy.
Ignoring volume and just in terms of weight, fat has more than twice as many calories per gram as carbohydrates, but the filling may very well also be denser.

As you have noticed, there presumably must actually be more than twice the filling though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mystes posted:

As you have noticed, there presumably must actually be more than twice the filling though.

Actually it turned out that the person asking the question was just wrong.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do you expect me to actually read the thread or check facts?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nabisco posted:

"Our recipe for the Oreo Double Stuf cookie has double the Stuf, or creme filling, when compared with our base, or Original Oreo cookie."

When a high school math teacher asserted that Double Stuf Oreos had only 1.86x as much creme as a standard Oreo, Nabisco openly stated that the recipe is double. The guy teamed up with Reddit and HuffPo and BusinessInsider, and they came up with a bunch of different results between 1.8x-2.0x. My guess is that Nabisco's recipe has twice the creme mass but that the actual machine has a bit of variance and a fault limiter (it is likely considered structurally better for there to be too little creme than too much).

https://www.businessinsider.com/double-stuf-oreos-controversy-2013-8

http://blog.recursiveprocess.com/2013/03/03/oreo-original-vs-double-vs-mega/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 8, 2021

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
The cream in oreoes is basically shortening with sugar. It yummy for a reason.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

That's what I was saying. The filling has way more calories per gram than the wafers do.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Golden Oreos own

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Golden Oreos own

Oh, so we are going to have to throw down over such terrible opinions I see.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I liked them until I got sick of them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Golden Oreos own

Specifically, the ones with the chocolate cream.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thanatosian posted:

Specifically, the ones with the chocolate cream.

dude those are just round e.l. fudges

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Where can I order the forbidden item: normal cookies with thin stuffing?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Roumba posted:

Where can I order the forbidden item: normal cookies with thin stuffing?

https://www.oreo.com/oreo-cookies/oreo-thins

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No joke the Lidl knockoff is way better than the actual Oreos

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The best Oreos are the ones that have fun flavorings like tiramisu or dulce de leche.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/tiramisu-oreos/

mystes
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

No joke the Lidl knockoff is way better than the actual Oreos

I posted this in another thread recently, but I believe most knockoffs taste much better than Oreos, probably because Oreos seemingly just use black cocoa which has a slight distinctive flavor and is very black in color but doesn't really taste chocolatey at all, whereas I think the knockoffs trend to use a mix of black cocoa and normal cocoa which gives them a lot more flavor.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Hydrox was vastly superior. Dumb name, great cookie.

Also don't waste your money on the Trader Joe's knockoff. They're pathetic, despite the filling being flavored with real vanilla and vanilla bean flecks, because the wafers are seriously weaksauce, chocolate-wise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

All oreo-style biscuits are pretty mediocre. Fruit rolls, choc wheatens, and even jam fancies are all superior sweet bickies.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 30, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

The best Oreos are the ones that have fun flavorings like tiramisu or dulce de leche.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/tiramisu-oreos/

https://youtu.be/CMkYw4dp_NI

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

All oreo-style biscuits are pretty mediocre. Fruit rolls, choc wheatens, and even jam fancies are all superior sweet bickies.

I don't know what any of these nonsense words are but I'm inclined to agree. Oreos are a disappointment every time I revisit them.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

We have one standard Oreo at 160/3 = 53.3 calories while a Double Stuff Oreo is 140/2 = 70 calories.

If we assume that a double stuffed has exactly twice as much stuffing, we can construct the following series of equations:

160/3 = 2*c + f
140/2 = 2*c + 2*f

Where c is the number of calories in a single Oreo wafer and f is the number of calories in one standard Oreo filling puck. By solving this series of equations, we can calculate that each Oreo wafer would have 18.3 calories and a standard filling puck would have 16.6 calories. Assuming Oreos are truly double-stuffed, this implies that even in double-stuffed Oreos there are more calories in the wafers than in a double-stuffed sugar puck.

Thanks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

"is or contains: kosher, wheat, soy" is a really weird way of glomming things together

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Hydrox was also the older brand. Oreos are knockoff hydrox.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Hydrox was also the older brand. Oreos are knockoff hydrox.

Like jack Daniel and Evan Williams

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

perhaps if it wasn't named like i should be cleaning my floor with it

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Thin oreos are vastly superior since you can eat twice as many for the same number of calories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Also don't waste your money on the Trader Joe's knockoff. They're pathetic, despite the filling being flavored with real vanilla and vanilla bean flecks, because the wafers are seriously weaksauce, chocolate-wise.

Remember that oreo ad that used to play in theaters where a board room is trying to come up with a name for their new cookie and some guy with a mouth full of cookies sputters "I dunno" but it ends up sounding like oreo? I wonder what the hydrox version of that ad would look like.