Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/05/02/despite-efforts-sexual-assaults-nearly-40-us-military.html posted:

The Defense Department's fiscal 2018 Report on Sexual Assault in the Military, released Thursday, found that roughly 20,500 service members experienced sexual assault, up from an estimated 14,900 in 2016.

The sexual-assault rate for women jumped 50% -- a statistic that some advocates, who have worked for years to change the DoD's approach to sexual-assault prosecution, call "shocking."
This means only a third of all sexual assaults in the U.S. military were reported in 2018 -- not surprising, since 43% of women who did report said they had a negative experience doing so, according to the report.

In nearly 90% of cases, the assailant was another service member and, in 62%, also an acquaintance. Perpetrators tended to be between the ranks of E-3 and E-5, with most being the same grade, or slightly higher than the victim's rank.
They come from poorer backgrounds sometimes so this is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Veterans-testimonies-heard-at-Winter-Soldier-3288604.php posted:

The first was of Turner's "first kill" - a "fat man" on foot whom he shot for refusing a command to halt. The "fat man" did not die from the first bullet that Turner put in his neck, so while he screamed and looked pleadingly into Turner's eyes, Turner deliberately dispatched him with a shot at close range.

The second story was even worse. Turner and his men were having a bad day - and bad days are apparently not hard to have in Iraq - so Turner and two fellow soldiers "took out some individuals" who were doing them no harm. Turner shot a man going by on a bike, then threw the body behind a wall and tossed his bike on top of it.

At the hearings, my friend Anthony Swofford, author of "Jarhead" and a former Marine himself, leaned over to me and said, "I think Turner just confessed to murder." But putting that remark in perspective, Swofford would also tell me later, "I know that for every guy up there testifying today, there are probably a thousand others out there keeping silent."

Some of the protesters outside, including the group Eagles Up!, claimed these testifiers weren't real vets, but they had all been thoroughly checked out by a verification team from Iraq Veterans Against the War.
There are tons of Winter Soldier testimonials and they're as bad as this. And these are just the guys who came forward

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Also in the last thread a lot of big tent perverts were arguing that as long as they repudiated their service when it was convenient for them to do so that we should welcome ex-Soldiers into the communist movement. A) They're probably plants B) What kind of spineless idiot enlists out of ignorance, realizes during his service the kind of butchery he is aiding and abetting, and doesn't immediately desert? This is like arguing we should be welcoming to the mafia and forgiving of its crimes just to pad our (non-existent) cadre numbers. I don't want to hear it.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Furious I didn't make it to the front page of this thread. gently caress the troops.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

T-Paine posted:

Also in the last thread a lot of big tent perverts were arguing that as long as they repudiated their service when it was convenient for them to do so that we should welcome ex-Soldiers into the communist movement. A) They're probably plants B) What kind of spineless idiot enlists out of ignorance, realizes during his service the kind of butchery he is aiding and abetting, and doesn't immediately desert? This is like arguing we should be welcoming to the mafia and forgiving of its crimes just to pad our (non-existent) cadre numbers. I don't want to hear it.

I can think of at least a couple people who saw out full tours of duty as commissioned officers (not even enlisted lol) at the same time as they were brandbuilding on twitter and are now funny ironic podcast leftists

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Developing a fear of fireworks and lifelong mobility problems for credentialism.

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

That’s pretty lib and anti-working class. Mocking people for not coming from a bougie background is low.

I wasn't mocking them for their class origins. I was mocking them for being grabasstic morons who can't accomplish anything unless there is a person literally screaming at them every day. Please delete this slander posthaste

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

John Charity Spring posted:

I can think of at least a couple people who saw out full tours of duty as commissioned officers (not even enlisted lol) at the same time as they were brandbuilding on twitter and are now funny ironic podcast leftists

Isnt that Army Strang guy a literal loving propaganda officer for the Army or something

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
*goes to state college and doesn't drop out in the first semester due to sex assault allegations* well lah dee dah at Mr. Millionaire over here

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hell yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Goatstein posted:

Isnt that Army Strang guy a literal loving propaganda officer for the Army or something

he was, at any rate. not sure what he's up to now, the last i saw was him making excuses for laughing about US troops assaulting Korean women or something

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Goatstein posted:

Yes lmao he used to cover up war crimes for the US Army and try to make them look good. The other guy on his podcast was a captain who was deployed in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Michael Prysner used to torture iraqis as a teen and Spenser Rapone saw what was going on when he was deployed and became a "marxist" west point student.

:laugh:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Goatstein posted:

the current lead on Planetside 2, Wrel, used to be a Navy PR guy before he got into making YouTube videos about, and then somehow, the lead developer of the game after the company crashed like three times lmao

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
do goons still play PS2?

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Climbing the social ladder at home on the backs of those America brutalizes overseas

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zedhe Khoja posted:

do goons still play PS2?

yeah! we do, every Saturday. there's even a new thread for it in Games if you want to give it a go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966415 or it's just right here

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yes lmao he used to cover up war crimes for the US Army and try to make them look good. The other guy on his podcast was a captain who was deployed in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Michael Prysner used to torture iraqis as a teen and Spenser Rapone saw what was going on when he was deployed and became a "marxist" west point student.

:laugh:

These were the dudes during Iraq who were posting that doing secret war crimes was impossible because every single used bullet is carefully tracked

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
when I was in high school we were down the block from an army recruiting office. when a bunch of teachers called out and they were in a pinch, they’d call the recruiters and have one of them come in to sub classes.

I, being a big dork, was in honors track (my high school was big enough we had honors-1st-2nd-3rd), but due to being an even bigger dork than I previously hinted at, was in band 8th period, so some of my classes had to get switched around to make everything fit and I had one third track class every year (Latin/Italian)

when the recruiter subbed for any of my honors classes he just put on the tv and told us to keep it down. but whenever he was in for my Italian teacher he’d give the full court press for joining right out of school, for AROTC, Army reserves, everything. I didn’t understand his strategy at the time. lol

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

indigi posted:

when I was in high school we were down the block from an army recruiting office. when a bunch of teachers called out and they were in a pinch, they’d call the recruiters and have one of them come in to sub classes.

I, being a big dork, was in honors track (my high school was big enough we had honors-1st-2nd-3rd), but due to being an even bigger dork than I previously hinted at, was in band 8th period, so some of my classes had to get switched around to make everything fit and I had one third track class every year (Latin/Italian)

when the recruiter subbed for any of my honors classes he just put on the tv and told us to keep it down. but whenever he was in for my Italian teacher he’d give the full court press for joining right out of school, for AROTC, Army reserves, everything. I didn’t understand his strategy at the time. lol

the US is hell in very specifically US ways

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Goatstein posted:

These were the dudes during Iraq who were posting that doing secret war crimes was impossible because every single used bullet is carefully tracked

I wonder if GiP still has a Chuckle about Questionably Legal Things we Saw and May Have Done Thread

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Lol remember when they opened Goons in Platoons in 2008 and a bunch of righteous dudes (including some admins at the time) came in and laid down savage ownage, the reaction to which was the whiniest and lamest thing I've ever witnessed

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
American soldiers are all whiny soft dipshits who think exercising a basic amount so they could carry a backpack made them loving Ubermench, and not just some dumb rear end in a top hat who can jog a couple miles for empire. Even SF psychos only rise to the level of the rich idiots who hunt tigers. Their missions have just enough danger to be a "thrilling" "xxxtreme" hobby, but every mission they go on is as much on rails with mechanical safeguards as possible. The hunts are canned, and most of the ears on their loving necklaces came from people who never even held a gun.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'd like to hear anyone describe being behind the barrel(s) of a rotary cannon to try and describe as anything other than a linear rail shooter with intermittent pause

just anything other than the slaughter it is, even moreso if they try to glorify it with heroism or valiance or whatever foul loving thing they want to say about it

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
happy pride month

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I never had the honor of boinking a troops girl while he was deployed, despite passing through Killeen a bunch, but I did gently caress a girl who was dating a Turkish contractor who worked with America in Iraq. A related subspecies of scum. Possibly more loathsome than the troops themselves.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

on his guest appearance on chapo for whatever reason the example he gave for what his job entails was a scenario wherein troops on an army base get caught loving an underage girl under the influence of meth :wtc:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Let's go troops hate da troops

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

on his guest appearance on chapo for whatever reason the example he gave for what his job entails was a scenario wherein troops on an army base get caught loving an underage girl under the influence of meth :wtc:

wow the Chapo people sound really cool for having this dude on

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
The famed chapo-to-troop pipeline

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

I've done my best to learn nothing about those guys and at this point my eyes glaze over whenever I read that name and I come to 5 minutes later having deleted my browser history

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

T-Paine posted:

I've done my best to learn nothing about those guys and at this point my eyes glaze over whenever I read that name and I come to 5 minutes later having deleted my browser history

most of what I know about them comes from people doing apologia when the girl one does or writes something unfathomably stupid. I did try to listen to an episode once but they aren't funny, though I guess the buff one is occasionally good on twitter

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chapo is good, being in the army is bad,

T-Paine posted:

this is just extremely embarrassing poo poo to post

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Posters are braver than the troops

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
felix biederman's best revelation was that as a kid he planned to become a Green Beret so he could then go on to become an anti-war senator

fortunately he had his come to Jesus moment through drug addiction and gaming

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

learning about the torturers' polycule and crack pinging in threads i never thought possible

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Chapo is good, being in the army is bad,
this is just extremely embarrassing poo poo to post

it's "i'm not like those jocks" posting for the modern age except the jocks in question are a movie nerd, a depressed twitch gamer, and a history dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it's "i'm not like those jocks" posting for the modern age except the jocks in question are a movie nerd, a depressed twitch gamer, and a history dork

nothing about this sounds bad or shameful though. why would you want to be like any of that