Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What if Holmes & Watson was actually a really good movie and the critics were wrong?

I mean take a look at this.

This has laughter written all over it. The master of comedy himself Will Ferrell with none other than television's Dr. Steven Brule? Starring as the titular Holmes and (or should I say &) Watson, the most legendary detective duo in history?

As far as I know, no one has ever actually seen the movie. So maybe it's one of the greatest movies of all time?

Would love to hear some theories here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I don't know I didn't see it but Stepbrothers was so loving good, they were totally goons

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

they should make a sherlock holmes movie but with ron burgundy and austin powers in it. lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Also - I'm a bit of a detective myself, I like to think, and I just noticed that their hands spell H and W. That's something you just can't unsee, like the FedEx arrow.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

no

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Remember when Will Ferrell was a pop cultural powerhouse?

Elburroman
Dec 27, 2012
Brilliant diduction ham rear end

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I saw it and it matched my expectations exactly. I don't know why anyone would go in thinking it would be better than it was

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Vim Fuego posted:

I saw it and it matched my expectations exactly. I don't know why anyone would go in thinking it would be better than it was

Were your expectations, by any chance, that it would prove to be the funniest movie of all time?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
It was awful. Like the whole entire thing was terrible. But the gallows scene when he questions if the dogs are really necessary was hilarious and I'm not sure if I'm stupid or it was genuinely funny because the internet won't let me search for it for some reason.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardvark! posted:

Also - I'm a bit of a detective myself, I like to think, and I just noticed that their hands spell H and W. That's something you just can't unsee, like the FedEx arrow.
I saw it and thought it wasn't so great but this changes everything.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hell Yeah posted:

they should make a sherlock holmes movie but with ron burgundy and austin powers in it. lol

what if they made Borat the next Sherlock Holmes :dogwhistle:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This is the first time I am hearing about this film even existing, I actually had a check IMDb to make sure you weren't doing a bit before I replied. The reviews I'm reading are not very kind.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Zil posted:

This is the first time I am hearing about this film even existing, I actually had a check IMDb to make sure you weren't doing a bit before I replied. The reviews I'm reading are not very kind.

No but now I wish I was good at Photoshop so I could use that thread concept.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I didn't see it, but hearing that a single section of it was amazing and I should check it out. Don't remember what part though.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aardvark! posted:

what if they made Borat the next Sherlock Holmes :dogwhistle:

I detect a sequel. *toilet flush sound*

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i saw this in theater with my family. it was terrible and we had a blast!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ferrell getting shot in the neck w/ a tranq was the highlight of his career.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This is the only thing that Will Ferrell has done that was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPp4dgmrc8

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

after it came out Dan Harmon talked about it on his podcast and said that the first ten minutes were maybe the best first ten minutes of any comedy ever, and that it was worth the price of admission for just that but then you should turn it off

this convinced me to give it a try and I don't remember anything except thinking that Harmon really oversold the first ten minutes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I completely forgot this movie existed. Anyway it's really bad.

porfiria posted:

Remember when Will Ferrell was a pop cultural powerhouse?

Yes I remember the year 2005.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Rob Brydon was in this, how bad could it be?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

No but now I wish I was good at Photoshop so I could use that thread concept.

lmao

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
hey guys got some really fresh topic ideas for you
was nickley~back actually good?
was jussin bober actually good?
was keepan up w/ krdshns actually good?
leave a comment pls if you think i'm right!!! :roflolmao:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
No, OP.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Kinda wish they would make a movie together where will Ferrell is Noah Webster and he travels the newly formed America to collect all th dictionary words

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only thing I remember was thinking that trying to shoot bees is funny and it should be used in a funny movie.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've not seen it

But I can't hate on Willy Feral the Eurovision is genuinely good, as is The Other Guys. Step Brothers is outstanding.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'll watch it and let you know

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Aardvark! posted:

What if Holmes & Watson was actually a really good movie and the critics were wrong?

I mean take a look at this.

This has laughter written all over it. The master of comedy himself Will Ferrell with none other than television's Dr. Steven Brule? Starring as the titular Holmes and (or should I say &) Watson, the most legendary detective duo in history?

As far as I know, no one has ever actually seen the movie. So maybe it's one of the greatest movies of all time?

Would love to hear some theories here.

Have seen the movie

It is bad

Like on completely different levels bad

With multiple versions existing with the international release missing the set up for the end of the film

Several shots are just, out of focus, and it's not funny

And it's a near wholesale parody of the RDJ Sherlock films that came out a decade earlier

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No one can deter me i will watch it

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Lauren Lapkus made me laugh but that's not surprising.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
someone walks obliviously through a door and immediately gets hit in the face with something (possibly a cricket bat) in this movie, its the only thing i remember and it rules

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No one can deter me i will watch it

Please don't self harm. We love you :(

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

I watched part of it on an airplane. It was super terrible.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jestery posted:

Have seen the movie

It is bad

Like on completely different levels bad

With multiple versions existing with the international release missing the set up for the end of the film

Several shots are just, out of focus, and it's not funny

And it's a near wholesale parody of the RDJ Sherlock films that came out a decade earlier

Also have seen the movie.

Everything you said is correct, although it did have a few funny gags that couldn’t save it from being bad.

I believe test screenings were dismal with almost everyone walking out on every one. This made the studio try and sell it to Netflix and Netflix said “lol NO.” The studio was obligated to release it to theaters, and it bombed horribly.

Also, you can gently caress around with history and historical figures and make it funny, but Queen Victoria died several years before Titanic was even built. That’s not funny or right, and it pissed me off for some reason.

Step Brothers is a goddamn masterpiece. Talladega Nights is also incredible. Holmes and Watson is poop.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I really love funny bad movies, but H&W was boring bad. The worst kind of bad.
You should watch Sleepaway Camp, OP.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Apparently they tried to sell this movie to Netflix and even they didn’t want anything to do with it

https://collider.com/netflix-holmes-and-watson-sony/amp/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I appreciate your positive energy but it was objectively bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I saw about 15 minutes of this on TV and it's absolutely one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Billy Zane was in this playing himself? What the gently caress.

Bruce AND Michael Buffer also playing themselves? Is this a Robot Chicken movie or something?