Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
It's amazing just how much I remember and don't remember about this game at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
One nice addition to the NST in Toxic Waste are the scuff marks for the bouncing barrels on the floor, making it easier to dodge them.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lulti posted:

One nice addition to the NST in Toxic Waste are the scuff marks for the bouncing barrels on the floor, making it easier to dodge them.

Holy poo poo how did I never notice that?!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

theenglishman posted:

I'd really be interested to see the exact difference in opinions of the NST between those who grew up with the original games, and those playing them for the first time. My gut feeling still tells me that a lot of the problems older fans have with the new compilation are related to muscle memory. Those old instincts kick in when playing the compilation, and you temporarily forget which version you're playing. It's like listening to an old song, but some of the notes you remember are moved, or changed around, or played in a different way. I sympathize with those fans, but I also think it's important to distinguish between the N. Sane Trilogy's actual flaws vs. things that are just different.

Personally speaking, the biggest and most frustrating change the NST made was to Crash's hitbox. It went from square in the original games, meaning you could stand with the very last pixel of Crash's shoes on the ledge just fine, to capsule shaped, meaning you'll hit the edge of ledges and just slide off (due to the shape of the collision box) a frustrating amount, especially during speed runs when you're trying to skip as much stuff as you can.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Oh my god the bouncing barrels, just instinctively cringed as soon as I saw them again. They're one of the reasons I didn't finish Crash 1, they got me so many times.

Lulti posted:

:bahgawd:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember those barrels too well. The camera angle just didn't give you the proper perspective to make where they were going to bounce. I think I even had a few deaths just by running into the throwers because of the camera!

Lulti posted:

I had to go look for these. I wish they had made them even more obvious honestly.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Personally speaking, the biggest and most frustrating change the NST made was to Crash's hitbox. It went from square in the original games, meaning you could stand with the very last pixel of Crash's shoes on the ledge just fine, to capsule shaped, meaning you'll hit the edge of ledges and just slide off (due to the shape of the collision box) a frustrating amount, especially during speed runs when you're trying to skip as much stuff as you can.
This is definitely what makes the bigger difference than the momentum, I'd say.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I don’t disagree with you about the hitbox issue but I just haven’t really noticed that much of a difference while playing. I’m sure it’s there, but maybe there’s something about my playstyle that makes it less noticeable. It’s weird.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

theenglishman posted:

I don’t disagree with you about the hitbox issue but I just haven’t really noticed that much of a difference while playing. I’m sure it’s there, but maybe there’s something about my playstyle that makes it less noticeable. It’s weird.

Trying to speedrun Road to Nowhere/The High Road without using the rope trick because I wasn't any good at it, some of the jumps you're supposed to use the turtles for you can juuuuuust make by running at full tilt and jumping at the last second, which is faster... but sometimes you hit the rim, and just slide off and die. That's where I noticed it most.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Okay now this game is just plain mean.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I definitely gave up before this point. That climbing level you said was infamous just looks incredibly tight in a not-fun way. The lights out levels are not nearly as bad once the light is separated from Aku Aku protection, though the level design still can get pretty challenging in the later games. This implementation on the other hand is just brutal.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I definitely gave up before this point. That climbing level you said was infamous just looks incredibly tight in a not-fun way. The lights out levels are not nearly as bad once the light is separated from Aku Aku protection, though the level design still can get pretty challenging in the later games. This implementation on the other hand is just brutal.

Yeah I definitely prefer the darkness levels from the later games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's hard to not prefer everything from the later games! I've gone back to Crash 2 and 3 a bunch of times but I've always left the first game where it was.

I think High Road must have been when 11 year old me started using cheats to skip levels. I have vague memories of a bunch of levels before that and I definitely remember Pinstripe but Slippery Climb is a blank.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I'm working this weekend and won't have much time to interact, so I'm posting today's update on Friday.

Actually, would you guys be okay if I switched upload days to Friday instead of Saturday? I have every scheduled, but it won't be that hard to change it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't particularly matter to me what day the videos are on.

Would those lives respawn every time? I can't remember if the extra life boxes turn into regular boxes or not after you complete a level.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Doesn't particularly matter to me what day the videos are on.

Would those lives respawn every time? I can't remember if the extra life boxes turn into regular boxes or not after you complete a level.

From my memory, in the original games lives don’t appear again after they are collected; while in the NST they don’t spawn again until after you’ve beaten the level. I believe the one exception is the green gem life stash in Castle Machinery which never respawns.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I do really want to play some of those weird PS2 crash games at some point. There was a really good Let's Play of Wrath of Cortex along with all the PS1 games but they all got deleted for some reason and I could never find out why which was a real bummer. I played like an hour of Twinsanity on an emulator at one point and it kind of seemed like they were trying to make it a bit more open like Jak and Daxter which was interesting. Not good, but interesting!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I do really want to play some of those weird PS2 crash games at some point. There was a really good Let's Play of Wrath of Cortex along with all the PS1 games but they all got deleted for some reason and I could never find out why which was a real bummer. I played like an hour of Twinsanity on an emulator at one point and it kind of seemed like they were trying to make it a bit more open like Jak and Daxter which was interesting. Not good, but interesting!

Wrath of Cortex is a weird game - it's too faithful to the formula set up by Crash 2 and 3, but at the same time most of the new stuff they added is really bad. It's not helped by the fact that I played the GameCube port, which is apparently the worst one. I've heard some good things about the Xbox port at least.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

theenglishman posted:

Wrath of Cortex is a weird game - it's too faithful to the formula set up by Crash 2 and 3, but at the same time most of the new stuff they added is really bad. It's not helped by the fact that I played the GameCube port, which is apparently the worst one. I've heard some good things about the Xbox port at least.

It's been quite a few years since I've played it but I remember the Geosphere being decent to good most of the time outside of the one boss fight. The other vehicle levels were pretty bad but honestly the ones in 3 mostly weren't that great either. The real killer, at least on the PS2 version, was the hideous loading times, every time you entered and exited a level it took ~45 seconds each time.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I only ever played a small amount of Crash in my day; I and a friend both had Crash Team Racing, and I would play the Crash 3 demo I had sometimes. IIRC, it only had a water level.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

And with that, we're done with Crash Bandicoot 1!

Just a quick note that this thread will go on a temporary hiatus while I work on an unrelated LP, after which I will return to Crash Bandicoot 2 (the same thing will happen between Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3). Feel free to discuss the games in this thread until then.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 6, 2021

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I hate the mental image your bullshitting at the end of 9-2 has put in my head.

I do know Keio Flying Squadron's demo has its full game and that most of Crash Bash was on Spyro Year of the Dragon.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

I hate the mental image your bullshitting at the end of 9-2 has put in my head.

I hope it was of Crash dressed up as Hatsune Miku.

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

theenglishman posted:

That's the female bandicoot we're preparing.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

theenglishman posted:

Miku in a Crash Bandicoot costume from those 90s ads actually.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm way late on posting this but I really enjoyed this not quite nostalgic trip. My memories of 2 and 3 are completely mixed together at this point so I'm also looking forward to untangling that!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Crash Bandicoot was charming, interesting and occasionally fun.

But now, we're getting to the good poo poo.

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back was first released for the PlayStation on Halloween 1997, a little over a year after the first game. It is a huge improvement in almost every way: better graphics, level design, pacing, a brand-new level structure, and even something resembling a story.

Following his defeat at the end of the first game, Dr. Neo Cortex stumbles upon a stash of powerful crystals. One year later, in his rebuilt Cortex Vortex, he hatches a scheme to kidnap convince his nemesis, Crash Bandicoot, to gather the rest of the crystals for him. Crash, with some reluctant help from his sister Coco, enters portals stationed in a mysterious warp room to gather all the remaining crystals.

This is a 100% run, just like the first game. Updates on Saturdays or Sundays, depending on my schedule.

CLICK HERE for the full playlist.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
All these updated graphics and I still have no clue what the thing the name of the game is on is supposed to be, or what crashed through it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think it’s the moon, and a hunk of metal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

White Coke posted:

I think it’s the moon, and a hunk of metal.

Yeah, it's the moon and some space debris. Because cortex in space.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, it's the moon and some space debris. Because cortex in space.

As a kid I thought it was a golf ball.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

If I remember correctly there was one hint to the blue gem in the original. If you go through the stage again after getting the clear gem the box counter at the end reads #/0.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

theenglishman posted:

The moon is God’s golf ball.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

theenglishman posted:

You were not alone.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Pungry posted:

All these updated graphics and I still have no clue what the thing the name of the game is on is supposed to be, or what crashed through it.

The prerelease logo does a better job of showing off that it’s a moon:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that's one thing cleared up (which could have also been done with a glance at Wikipedia) but if you asked me yesterday I would have sworn 2 had what I now know 3's plot is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crash 2 is imo the first real crash game.

Now for the 5 people who prefer Crash 1 over the other crash games, rejoice, one of you has made a game.
PsiloSybil, which is Crash 1 but harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Crash 2 is imo the first real crash game.

Now for the 5 people who prefer Crash 1 over the other crash games, rejoice, one of you has made a game.
PsiloSybil, which is Crash 1 but harder.

Thank you for bringing this up in the thread so I don’t have to rant about it in a future video!