Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

theenglishman posted:

I'd really be interested to see the exact difference in opinions of the NST between those who grew up with the original games, and those playing them for the first time. My gut feeling still tells me that a lot of the problems older fans have with the new compilation are related to muscle memory. Those old instincts kick in when playing the compilation, and you temporarily forget which version you're playing. It's like listening to an old song, but some of the notes you remember are moved, or changed around, or played in a different way. I sympathize with those fans, but I also think it's important to distinguish between the N. Sane Trilogy's actual flaws vs. things that are just different.

Personally speaking, the biggest and most frustrating change the NST made was to Crash's hitbox. It went from square in the original games, meaning you could stand with the very last pixel of Crash's shoes on the ledge just fine, to capsule shaped, meaning you'll hit the edge of ledges and just slide off (due to the shape of the collision box) a frustrating amount, especially during speed runs when you're trying to skip as much stuff as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

theenglishman posted:

I don’t disagree with you about the hitbox issue but I just haven’t really noticed that much of a difference while playing. I’m sure it’s there, but maybe there’s something about my playstyle that makes it less noticeable. It’s weird.

Trying to speedrun Road to Nowhere/The High Road without using the rope trick because I wasn't any good at it, some of the jumps you're supposed to use the turtles for you can juuuuuust make by running at full tilt and jumping at the last second, which is faster... but sometimes you hit the rim, and just slide off and die. That's where I noticed it most.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The sixth warp room might actually be intended to be the zeroth warp room. In the original, you can clearly see N Sanity island as well as the volcano island, placing it pretty clearly on top of Cortex Castle. And when you leave via the lift in NST, you leave upwards, arriving in Warp Room 1. So the implication is that all the warp rooms are in Cortex's space station, meaning Crash was kidnapped to space I guess.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

oldskool posted:

how does the spin attack work when Crash is hanging from the mesh? :psyduck:

Yoshimitsu hands.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I don't think 154/155 was actually a meme about that Nitro-ensconced box originally, as far as I remember it was about the one box above the bounce crates in the bonus round; in the original games it was entirely offscreen, as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4cYpQCSAo&t=62s

Also, you can see bonus rounds did not tell you how many crates were in them in the original, so you never knew if you had missed one!

But between that and the ! box in the death route, there are a lot of candidates for That One Box. But the bonus round hidden one is the one I remember being hated on the most, specifically.

NST fixed the bonus round box (and gave you the counter), but wow yeah they did make that nitro-blocked one harder.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its the best of the games
:colbert:

I understand this opinion but I do not share it. It is a very good game though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The actual platforming is at its best in this game, time trials are a fantastic addition, and the chase levels are vastly improved by making the entire level not about that.

It's seriously only just that a full 50% of the levels being not platforming kind of breaks it for me.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The jetski levels are my least favourite vehicle levels.

They're also the most plentiful.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't believe you let suicide frog pass unmarked.

It did happen sort of offscreen I suppose.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

theenglishman posted:

Watching the episode again, I see what you’re referring to. In 20 years playing this game I never noticed that. The things you learn when you’re older, huh?

Yup, he's sort of a minor Crash 3 meme, because usually he kills himself when you come back from the bonus round. It's just that the global cycles this time lined up such that he jumped while you were leaving.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The monkey has purified himself by throwing all of his impurities at you, so now he gets to ascend? That's my guess.

Also you totally don't need the purple gem but you still can't do the clear gems now. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
All those cuts and rewinds where you missed boxes because of the weird loose controls on the jetski. I felt those.