Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NextTime000 posted:

I mean wasn't Phantasy Star 4 subtitled "The End of the Millennium" and that tied itself to the other games before it

Phantasy Star II is 1000 years after PS1, PS4 is 1000 years after that and PS3 is another 1000 after that.

Also Zero is some long time after CARD & Ep4.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

7c Nickel posted:

99%

I think somewhere it will still keep a record of what your initial choice was, but otherwise you're free to change as long as you have salon passes.

so no, like, "you can change your hair & brows free but if you want to resize the oversized, horribly clipping T&A settings you made, we want $20" F2P hoo-ha?

(e) f2p who am i kidding, ff14 charges a fiver for the privilege too, free's a bit much to hope for now i think about it

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Salon passes can be bought with SG (the premium currency you get through gameplay, as opposed to AC, the premium currency you can only buy with money), acquired through login bonuses, and Classic handed out a ton of them to Mission Pass subscribers, so unless you're constantly revising your character daily you shouldn't be breaking the bank on it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also every character that moves from PSO2 to NGS will get a chance to redo character creation for free.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think I have like 20 salon passes on global and closer to 50 on JP lol

Colour change passes, on the other hand..

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is this an expansion or just straight up a new game, but they're rolling stuff over for the sake of player retention?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is this an expansion or just straight up a new game, but they're rolling stuff over for the sake of player retention?

it's like a backward-compatible remake, kind of

The Chairman posted:

Salon passes can be bought with SG (the premium currency you get through gameplay, as opposed to AC, the premium currency you can only buy with money), acquired through login bonuses, and Classic handed out a ton of them to Mission Pass subscribers, so unless you're constantly revising your character daily you shouldn't be breaking the bank on it
well color me surprised, that seems... generous by modern standards

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Chairman posted:

The item upgrade mechanics are simplified a lot from classic and don't have the risk of accidentally blowing up upgrades you've already earned any more.

• Item enhancement (grinding) is still the same -- feed your weapons fodder items to increase their level
  • Limit break is similar -- raise the grind cap with meseta and harvested ore
  • Potentials -- now separate from limit breaks, but also are unlocked with meseta and ore
  • Affixes are the biggest change -- affixes now come in the form of Ability Capsules; each capsule you use adds a +N% chance to successfully affix that ability, up to 10 capsules for a chance of +10*N%; if you successfully affix an ability, it'll have a 100% chance to carry over the next time you affix the item
  • Some items will have a "Prefix Ability" that's rolled when the item drops; it doesn't take up an affix slot, but also can't be changed or transferred to another item
  • Multi-weapon is new -- put two weapons of the same series together so you can use both sets of photon arts and weapon actions without changing palettes

7c Nickel posted:

Worth noting that the number of slots that exist on your weapon is separate from the number of affixes actually on your weapon. You can never lose slots, just maybe gently caress up and have one of them temporarily empty.

Wow, I might actually affix my gear this time instead of just buying the best one I can get off the shop.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ciaphas posted:

well color me surprised, that seems... generous by modern standards

It's good, but what I really want is free access to stuff like material storage and player shops, which are things I feel like other F2P MMOs have been giving away for at least a decade. Or at least the Cryptic MMOs do that I think, all of which are dramatically worse games than PSO2 in almost every other way.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

I said come in! posted:

And then we have to wait around 6 months for a level cap increase to 35? That is very weird.

You've been spoiled being blasted through 8 years of JP content condensed down to one year of updates. Expect this game to follow a much much slower update schedule.
At least you can always swap back to PSO2 base real easy to kill time. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EXPFULL

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

GREAT!

I look forward to bringing Drake into this new age of computer graphix.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Combat Lobster posted:

GREAT!

I look forward to bringing Drake into this new age of computer graphix.

no..no we're not ready..!!!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do I need to preload anything, or does PSO2 just download everything with the next update and a new shortcut shows up?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Do I need to preload anything, or does PSO2 just download everything with the next update and a new shortcut shows up?

There is no clear answer to this that ive seen. Sega is kinda leaving everyone in the dark.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There is a preload. You download it from the normal PSO2 launcher you already have installed. It's supposed to release sometime tomorrow, the 8th.
They already released the preload for the Japanese version, and some people have already patched and launched the game client (but of course they can't play until the servers come back online).

Here's the NGS ship selection menu, complete with all the ships being labeled "In maintenance" in dark grey:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 8, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Steam/XBL/EGS will push an update out sometime between now and the launch hour. There's been depot activity on the Steam end.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
And it looks like the steam update is live now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oof, 112GB total. Hopefully it doesn't fill up the remaining 17GB on my SSD too quickly during play.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to spamming "WHERE IS QUNA" in every zone.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I have a cast in PSO2 that I’ll be bringing to NGS but want to change the colours of, is that covered by the free first time character adjustment or not since colour passes are technically for clothes?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I guess it's more of a reboot, since it uses it's own class levels and our gear from it has their stats and such altered while in NGS. PSO2-Classic is accessible from any Ryuker-device (fast travel point)

technically I think the idea was that they were planning on updating PSO2 for 10 years initially, but at some point they noticed there were things they wanted to do that they simply couldn't while they still had to support the PlayStation Vita, then when they went shopping for cloud servers to move the PSO2 servers onto, Phil Spencer caught wind of it and personally went to Sega of Japan to make a deal for the PSO2 Global server in the process. NGS appears to be pscrew pushing all of those ideas they had backlogged at once, and instead of re-balancing the whole game to compensate for these sweeping quality of life enhancements, they just swept it all under the rug. Then around new years, the little end-of-the-year message from PSCrew mentioned that the interest with the global server here inspired them to extend their "10-year plan", though in my opinion, NGS kinda both let them move on from PSO2 early while still being able to claim this is still PSO2, which honestly, it kinda really is still just PSO2 but with a different map type.

I feel like the way they have the accounts set up, they could have done a whole new separate game and kept still kept all of the account data and bank data, but ultimately it's kinda hard to say what exactly the decision process here was, what with all of the corporations involved

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

e: don’t leave threads open overnight

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Got Bored, saw what i could do in the benchmark.

Im excited now!

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Talkc posted:

Im excited now!

Holy poo poo :shepface:

I can't wait to see something like that in cutscenes.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I started playing PSO2 when it came out and it was fun but there was too much going on / too much to understand / that feeling of playing an MMO that's been out forever. So I'm intrigued by the fresh start element of this.

I'm trying to remember. If I want the opportunity to play on both my PC and Xbox, but I start on PC, I need to download it from the Windows store right?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Talkc posted:

Im excited now!

DQ crossover incoming

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Holy poo poo :shepface:

I can't wait to see something like that in cutscenes.

I'm honestly thinking of giving my main this kinda facelift.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Downloaded the client on steam only to be prompted that I needed to update something and then it not working. So I do a file check and now I'm downloading the entire thing again.

Seems the problems didnt stop at the windows store

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Worked for me, I've gotten as far as staring wistfully at the offline ships a couple of times.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Is the game updating for you guy via the tweeker? I can’t figure out what it is doing at the moment.

Doing a verification to see what happens.

Edit;

Verification done seems to be downloading again.

Sardikar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eh I guess I'll check this out, I spent like $2000 on gacha on the US side when PSO2NA came out, time for more ill-advised monetary decisions i guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sardikar posted:

Is the game updating for you guy via the tweeker? I can’t figure out what it is doing at the moment.

Doing a verification to see what happens.

Edit;

Verification done seems to be downloading again.

I honestly can't think of a reason to use Tweaker anymore unless you're playing on JP. It is a bad program and should be taken out back and shot and Aida should not be allowed to use Visual Studio ever again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Something funky is going on with Tweaker, I've let Aida know. It's a fine program, this is just a massively new thing so it's understandable that there's some teething trouble.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Truly the tweaker is a program of contrasts

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kirbysuperstar posted:

I honestly can't think of a reason to use Tweaker anymore unless you're playing on JP. It is a bad program and should be taken out back and shot and Aida should not be allowed to use Visual Studio ever again.

The only feature it seems to actually have for the NA version of the game is the ability to install just one copy of the game but fool it into thinking you're launching from any of the 4 stores so you can collect the 1-time exclusive weapon camos or whatever from each one.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also cusses.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

Also cusses.

This is v. important for me.

But in all seriousness, the filter they have is weird as hell and censors completely innocent stuff.

Then you see certain racist words thrown around that aren't.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

brand new to this: is the steam client supposed to be able to log in right now and see those servers down for maintenance? it just throws an "update needed" error at me and then closes, but i don't know if that's because the servers are still down or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You're the third person I've seen have the client crash out. Try a file check?