Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Conor at 155 is the new Barboza esque gatekeeper. There are a few guys he loses to on most nights, and then most of the division is a coin flip on style match up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I tend to agree, by all accounts conor prepares well and hard for every fight. Even if his choice of coaching and training partners isn't what I would consider ideal. People seem to forget that Dustin Porier is a world class contender and one of the best two or three lightweights in the world.

Yeah that's the other thing - Conor did look really good in January! But got pieced up due to not doing poo poo about the leg kicks and Poirier just being one of the best in the entire world.

I really hope he beats Conor and gets his title shot. Would be the feel-good story of the year. If he puts Conor away fast enough maybe we could see Dustin x Oliveira in December/January??

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah that's the other thing - Conor did look really good in January! But got pieced up due to not doing poo poo about the leg kicks and Poirier just being one of the best in the entire world.

I really hope he beats Conor and gets his title shot. Would be the feel-good story of the year. If he puts Conor away fast enough maybe we could see Dustin x Oliveira in December/January??

I re-watched this fight earlier this week, and I agree. Watching it live I though Dustin did really well, but the second time, I noticed he was getting hit pretty hard, and a bit too often in the first round. I guess when I'm cheering for someone I think they are doing better than they actually are. One thing I have noticed lately is it seems like Conor has peaked, meaning he's not growing as a fighter, and his competitors are getting better while this happens.

Really hope the outcome is exactly the same as the last fight. No defense for leg kicks, gassy in the second, and eventually KO'd.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
The “motivated Conor” thing is really just a question of whether he has the ability to make adjustments at this point in his career. Conor did really well in the first round of the last match and it’s not so wild to think it could go differently if he’s willing to listen to people and formulate a smart game plan. But that’s a big if and seeing as how he only seems to have left Dubai in the last couple weeks it probably isn’t going to happen.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
He can say he’s “motivated”, but even skill set and stage of his career aside, Poirer is still more or less fighting to build a sick nest-egg for his family. The dude is a millionaire, but not a hundred-millionaire and MMA careers are short.

Conor has generational wealth. I don’t believe for a second he’s nearly as motivated as Poirer. It didn’t stop someone like Mayweather from fighting at peak form for years, but Conor is no Mayweather.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dustin is also kind of a bad match for Conor I think. He's durable, can have great defense on his feet, can do five rounds no problem, and has solid grappling. Dustin at 155 is so fun. I'm glad he made the move up so long ago.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TheKingslayer posted:

Dustin is also kind of a bad match for Conor I think. He's durable, can have great defense on his feet, can do five rounds no problem, and has solid grappling. Dustin at 155 is so fun. I'm glad he made the move up so long ago.

Kragger99 posted:

Watching it live I though Dustin did really well, but the second time, I noticed he was getting hit pretty hard, and a bit too often in the first round.

I think his camp built up some very specific Conor defense tactics, and he executed them well, but not completely naturally. From this base, they have to decide how much to tweak given that Conor hasn't had any fights in between. Conor's camp can decide to try new things or just emphasize places where he was having success. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Conor shot a double just for the hell of it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Kennedy nzechukwu is fantastic. love a dude with a gas tank who juat wears guys down with toughness and a pace. really excited to watch more of him

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Kennedy nzechukwu is fantastic. love a dude with a gas tank who juat wears guys down with toughness and a pace. really excited to watch more of him

Nate Diaz!

On the subject of continuous improvement I still love that video of gsp saying he spent like 200k of his first million on traveling, then clarifies it was so he could train in new places. Dude was great.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

nordichammer posted:

Conor at 155 is the new Barboza esque gatekeeper. There are a few guys he loses to on most nights, and then most of the division is a coin flip on style match up

lol

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Kragger99 posted:

. One thing I have noticed lately is it seems like Conor has peaked, meaning he's not growing as a fighter, and his competitors are getting better while this happens.

Really hope the outcome is exactly the same as the last fight. No defense for leg kicks, gassy in the second, and eventually KO'd.

Conor peaked at the Eddie fight - Alvarez didn't look like he deserved to be in there with him. It's been carnie poo poo and cocaine since then.

Fly Ricky posted:

He can say he’s “motivated”, but even skill set and stage of his career aside, Poirer is still more or less fighting to build a sick nest-egg for his family. The dude is a millionaire, but not a hundred-millionaire and MMA careers are short.

Conor has generational wealth. I don’t believe for a second he’s nearly as motivated as Poirer. It didn’t stop someone like Mayweather from fighting at peak form for years, but Conor is no Mayweather.

Its a nitpick - but conors kids will have generational wealth - it has to be handed down for it to be generational. But otherwise agreed, mcgregor probably made more from his budweiser sponsorship 5 years ago than poiriers made in his life. Dustin takes him again. My heart wouldn't be able to take mcgregor having the kind of cultural cache a win would give him. I hope poirier makes a show of him and nate gets another big payday out of him and then hopefully mcgregor will gently caress off forever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Conor is a paper mache effigy that when someone punches him money comes out

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Lewis vs Gane for interim title on August 7 because apparently Ngannou was unavailable for a title fight in July or August

e: this is a dumb decision and sucks real bad, folks

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just came to post this too. This is hosed up and very disrespectful to Francis

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1409610421707841538?s=20

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hey fought March 27th...interim title? gently caress off, what is this.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

And Gane having a brutal 5 round decision win at heavyweight versus a real killer and then having a title fight 6 weeks later seems pretty fuckin irresponsible to me

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/francis_ngannou/status/1409618397957017615

book ngannou vs dana

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

gee, why can't we get anyone to care about our fighters

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

They might as well get rid of all the titles and just call them 'PPV winners'

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Can't wait to watch Ngannou Vs Lewis 2: This time with Punches on New Years Eve.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
That is hosed up. I don't know what else to say.
A lot of the decisions the past ~8 months have really made me question why I'm still following this "sport".

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Maybe Francis popped for something and it hasn't been announced yet?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What a lovely loving thing to do, yeesh

e]

Southpaugh posted:

Conor peaked at the Eddie fight - Alvarez didn't look like he deserved to be in there with him. It's been carnie poo poo and cocaine since then.

. My heart wouldn't be able to take mcgregor having the kind of cultural cache a win would give him.

Extremely this, I think his time off/insane coke binges have held him back from ever being champ again, but there's always that chance he pulls off some bullshit and it keeps me up at night :ohdear:

I'm really looking forward to watching Dustin gently caress him up again though.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 28, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
e] gently caress

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Apparently Ngannou was asked to do August 7th, said he couldn't, and was then asked to do September 25th, which he agreed to. Then they announce this poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When I saw there was going to be an interim title fight my first thought was,"Oh no! What happened to Ngannou!?! :ohdear:" and it turns out the answer was.... nothing. They just decided to have an interim title fight. Jesus Christ.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They will put any fight as headliner; what's the rush for Francis fighting again when nobody would bat an eye at Boser x some total can?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
This is sucks

GTO posted:

They might as well get rid of all the titles and just call them 'PPV winners'

One of the greatest heavyweights of the night

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why does dana hate hw champions so much

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1409682705776709632

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dana's clearly angry Ngannou has an actual talent agency as opposed to being a Kawa or Abdelaziz fighter he can boss around

CAA are scumbags as well, mind, but they're light years ahead of the regular MMA "talent agent"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There are times when I wish this was like a real sport, with governing bodies and established rules and oversight and such

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I need a timeline that debunks all of Dana's lies like the 30k for Trump. Sometimes the little one off tweets just fall off the radar.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Memento posted:

Dana's clearly angry Ngannou has an actual talent agency as opposed to being a Kawa or Abdelaziz fighter he can boss around

CAA are scumbags as well, mind, but they're light years ahead of the regular MMA "talent agent"

CAA are also in opposition to WME :thunk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Like.... what's the harm in saying the two dudes are fighting to be the number one contender for Ngannou? Why the gently caress does it have to be an interim title? Interim for what, the champion is still there!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Hey this is the most hosed up thing Dana has done in a minute.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Hey this is the most hosed up thing Dana has done in a minute.

I'd be willing to believe this sentence, completely literally.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Like.... what's the harm in saying the two dudes are fighting to be the number one contender for Ngannou? Why the gently caress does it have to be an interim title? Interim for what, the champion is still there!

shiny gold on poster makes the hooples buy the ppv

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Lmao Did Francis mention unionising or something? The dude is such a loving marketable champ, he's super nice and his origin story is absolutely insane, it makes zero sense to gently caress him over like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Helwani in this thread blames this on some dude I’ve never heard of who is apparently super aggressive with scheduling title fights for UFC

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1409662095151419392?s=21