Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Hi,

It's been about 4 years since I last built a PC (for someone else), and I'm looking to make another new one for myself. It'll be used for development and media/content creation work.

What sites actually post benchmarks and are readable in 2024? No youtube/tiktok/video media please.

edit: Ah, anandtech is still around and in the OP.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

I've got two fried PSU-to-wall outlet cables in a week. One cable dying is whatever, two is sus as hell.

The first fried cable was connected to a surge protector strip, I did notice the light was dimmer than it should be so I replaced it.

However, the second cable was directly connected to the same wall outlet and I have confirmed the computer won't power on even if it's using a different outlet.

The computer boots fine with a third new-from-the-cable-box cable but I'm not sure I should be turning it on? Does anyone have an intuition if it's the wall outlet or my PSU frying things or how to check? Im not sure how a wall cable even gets fried.

Call an electrician.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

Baulders Gate 3 has finally brought my 12+ year old gaming PC to its knees so I'm looking to build a PC for the first time in over a decade. It looks like things are even more streamlined then they were and I think I have a workable setup after just a few hours of reading.

Do you live near Microcenter? Yes. Ill probably buy 90+% of this from them, my cart is showing $150 less than the mostly Amazon prices below.
What are you using the system for? Gaming. Mostly 4X/Builder/Grand Strategy. BG3 and City Skylines 2 have particularly had me feeling the age of my current PC.
What's your budget? Was shooting for ~2.5k, including a monitor.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 4k res. Picked a 160 hz monitor, largly on a whim. Not sure how much this would matter, Ive been using the same 60 hz monitor for a decade and my work computer is 30 hz and I deal with it. I'm happy to turn graphics to low-medium for better performance.

I started largely from this Microcenter bundle and worked around it:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...er_Build_Bundle
For the case I was mostly constrained by what Microcenter had that had 3 3.5" bays, which I need for hoarding reasons.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($357.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($155.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: AOC U27G3X 27.0" 3840 x 2160 160 Hz Monitor ($489.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2374.92

Comments appreciated.

I've noticed there is a warning about CPU cooler fit with RAM and mounting holes. Reading through the comments on the Deepcool AK620 it sounds like this isn't a big concern, but anyone have experience with it?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Xenoborg posted:

I've noticed there is a warning about CPU cooler fit with RAM and mounting holes. Reading through the comments on the Deepcool AK620 it sounds like this isn't a big concern, but anyone have experience with it?

The AK620 cites a clearance of 43mm and the G.Skill memory kit is 33mm high, so you should have a good centimeter or so of clearance between the bottom of the front fan and the top of the DIMMs

If you still need the extra clearance for whatever reason, you can nudge the fans up by moving the fan clips - they just hug the heatsink, no latches or grooves or anything, so you're free to shift them around as needed

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Share Bear posted:

Hi,

It's been about 4 years since I last built a PC (for someone else), and I'm looking to make another new one for myself. It'll be used for development and media/content creation work.

What sites actually post benchmarks and are readable in 2024? No youtube/tiktok/video media please.

edit: Ah, anandtech is still around and in the OP.

https://gamersnexus.net/ is gaming focused, but they have some non-gaming benchmarks too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think Puget Systems is the go to for benchmarks for media and content creator stuff.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I kind of have the upgrade bug now that I installed my 7800x3D, so I want to ask: How long is my RTX 3070 good for in terms of 1440p gaming? I am sort of trying to talk myself out of upgrading for now.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I kind of have the upgrade bug now that I installed my 7800x3D, so I want to ask: How long is my RTX 3070 good for in terms of 1440p gaming? I am sort of trying to talk myself out of upgrading for now.

Which games are you playing/wanting to play? A 3070 is fine for a lot of stuff and underpowered for others spending on quality settings and the like.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Unlucky7 posted:

Sup 7800X3D with 3070 at 1440p gaming buddy. Like you I did the 7800X3D first, then got the itch and upgraded my card to a 7900XT.

Honestly, the upgrade was nice. My new baseline framerafe in a lot of games was significantly higher, like BG3, Metro Exodus, and I have everything maxed out but realistically I should have waited longer. I was already at smooth frame rates and decent settings, and now I get smoother frames and better settings (but it’s kind of that thing where High to Ultra is less impactful from Low-Medium)

It’s definitely a nice-to-have boost, and I guess I’m future proofed for GTA6 or something, but fairly marginal in the grand scheme of things when I’m still playing ancient/2D games most days.

I’d say hold off if you can, unless there’s some game currently that’s kneecapping you hard because of the 8GB VRAM.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Thinking of doubling the RAM to 4x16g. Its so cheap compared to what it used to be and I do do a lot of multitasking, but it still might be completly useless...

edit: I've been alerted that 4 sticks of ram can be useless or even harmful to speed based on the CPU having: Memory Channels Supported 2

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($96.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2224.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-28 17:28 EDT-0400

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 28, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Branch Nvidian posted:

Which games are you playing/wanting to play? A 3070 is fine for a lot of stuff and underpowered for others spending on quality settings and the like.

Well, I am not looking to have everything maxxed; like high settings are nice but I am not looking for ultra settings, and I am not above lowering some stuff.

I am currently playing Dragons Dogma 2, which kind of prompted the CPU upgrade (which was already kind of struggling with Alan Wake 2, so it is not the sole reason, and I still think it was time for an upgrade), and while it is a great game with obvious technical issues that can't be fixed with better hardware, I am mostly getting around 60 fps, and everything else I do not have trouble running, even before the CPU hike.

I get that the 3070 will likely be the bottleneck from here on out though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 28, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

Thinking of doubling the RAM to 4x16g. Its so cheap compared to what it used to be and I do do a lot of multitasking, but it still might be completly useless...

edit: I've been alerted that 4 sticks of ram can be useless or even harmful to speed based on the CPU having: Memory Channels Supported 2

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($96.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)

I recommend picking some memory off this list if you want it to run at full speed out of the box with no fuss.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am currently playing Dragons Dogma 2, which kind of prompted the CPU upgrade (which was already kind of struggling with Alan Wake 2, so it is not the sole reason, and I still think it was time for an upgrade), and while it is a great game with obvious technical issues that can't be fixed with better hardware, I am mostly getting around 60 fps, and everything else I do not have trouble running, even before the CPU hike.

I have a 4080 Super paired with a 7800X3D and that can't even keep Dragons Dogma 2 north of 60fps full time. I wouldn't throw new hardware at that game. It has deeper technical issues. This isn't a Crysis situation.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 28, 2024

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I am not looking to have everything maxxed; like high settings are nice but I am not looking for ultra settings, and I am not above lowering some stuff.

The big issue is that this generation's set of cards have pretty bad value, and your current card is still drat good. From what you've described, I'd wait and see for the next generation. For Alan wake 2, try looking into the fsr3 mods to add frame Gen support for your card.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

If you aren't unhappy with the performance currently, then I wouldn't upgrade. I don't think anyone can accurately say how much more life the 3070 will have at 1440p, but I don't think you should be upgrading in anticipation of obsolescence. Wait until it actually happens. I'm sure the card will be fine until the next gen 9 - 12 months from now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

wash bucket posted:

I have a 4080 Super paired with a 7800X3D and that can't even keep Dragons Dogma 2 north of 60fps full time. I wouldn't throw new hardware at that game. It has deeper technical issues. This isn't a Crysis situation.

At least for the 7800X3D I was upgrading from a i5 8400 which was well below their minimum requirements and ~$500 for a new processor+motherboard+ram was a such a nice deal.

I am still glad I got the new CPU but I think I will wait until the card is struggling before doing anything.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Last call for input on this. Going to put in the order at Microcenter in the morning tomorrow and pick up at lunch.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Xun posted:

I've got two fried PSU-to-wall outlet cables in a week. One cable dying is whatever, two is sus as hell.

For the record, one fried wall cable is sus

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

At least for the 7800X3D I was upgrading from a i5 8400 which was well below their minimum requirements and ~$500 for a new processor+motherboard+ram was a such a nice deal.

I am still glad I got the new CPU but I think I will wait until the card is struggling before doing anything.

Yeah, wait until the next gen of cards are out and reevaluate at that time.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How much does brand or heatsink matter for SSDs? MC has a few similar options I'm choosing between.
https://www.microcenter.com/endeca/...WFsbCZwYWdlPTE=

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Xenoborg posted:

How much does brand or heatsink matter for SSDs? MC has a few similar options I'm choosing between.
https://www.microcenter.com/endeca/...WFsbCZwYWdlPTE=

I don't think you need one at all unless you have some heavy load on it 24/7 or the airflow in your case is absolutely awful

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

fletcher posted:

I don't think you need one at all unless you have some heavy load on it 24/7 or the airflow in your case is absolutely awful

Counterpoint, small heatsinks are cool looking and the fins get pretty hot so it does help dissipate heat.

Im using these

NVMe Heatsinks for M.2 2280mm SSD
https://a.co/d/6zySUdb

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

Counterpoint, small heatsinks are cool looking and the fins get pretty hot so it does help dissipate heat.

Im using these

NVMe Heatsinks for M.2 2280mm SSD
https://a.co/d/6zySUdb

"it does help dissipate heat" ... however it is unnecessary unless you have a high intensity use case which does not include loading game levels.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Also the flash chips themselves work better warm. So it could be useful to cover them with a metal strip that transfers hear from the controller.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

those heatsinks are essentially decorative so pick whatever one you think looks coolest. or save a few bucks.

I think some people ITT have complained about fan noise on Corsair RMe PSUs so if you care about such things you might want to swap it out.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Thanks all, I'm hitting buy. Went with the heatsink version since at worst its a waste of $20 and maybe it does something useful.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Saukkis posted:

Also the flash chips themselves work better warm. So it could be useful to cover them with a metal strip that transfers hear from the controller.

I’m not super knowledgeable about the different aspects of a SSD, but in my mind things getting hot puts stress on them.

Also, temperature change causes things to expand and contract.

So by sandwiching my SSD in this little metal holder that has fins I’m going to distribute the heat fairly uniformly across the product and prevent any one area from becoming a hotspot.

Also, it’s like six bucks and comes in fun colors!

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 29, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

Thanks all, I'm hitting buy. Went with the heatsink version since at worst its a waste of $20 and maybe it does something useful.

it is, and it doesn't.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.guru3d.com/review/guru3d-nvme-thermal-test/page-14/

Here’s some data about the issue if anyone’s curious.

I think they’re worth having considering the extremely low cost and the fact that they look cool.

That’s the best part about custom building: that you get to have it your way.

I totally get people saying that they don’t do anything though. If they were needed, they would come with them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't see what drives the OP was choosing between since their link doesn't work for me, but a lot of the posts in this thread are stuck in the PCIe 3 era. The controllers in high-speed PCIe 4 drives can definitely heat up to the point where they thermally throttle, even in cases with good airflow. Generally this only applies to sequential writes that last more than a few minutes, but if you're doing those then you need to use a heatsink to maximize performance. It's probably not something most people will ever notice, but there's a reason these heatsinks/heat spreaders exist.

edit: this page in the article above is the most relevant one: https://www.guru3d.com/review/guru3d-nvme-thermal-test/page-6/#copying-a-large-file-kioxia-exceria-pro-2-tb

A motherboard heat spreader will be more than enough. If you don't have one and are adding a high-end PCIe4 drive, then using a heatsink isn't pointless, though it definitely isn't necessary either. If it's a PCIe 3 drive or a slower PCIe 4 drive, then it probably won't be doing much.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 29, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

spunkshui posted:

I’m not super knowledgeable about the different aspects of a SSD, but in my mind things getting hot puts stress on them.

Klyith posted:

No: the NAND flash likes being warm, and writing when at 40-50C will actually increase data retention / longevity. Ironically, putting a water cooler on a SSD (a thing that exists!) would theoretically *reduce* lifespan because your flash would always be more or less room temp while writing.

The controller OTOH is pretty much a little ARM CPU with some specialized IO, and just like any other CPU doesn't like to get too hot. So that's what throttles when it hits 70C (likely a conservative value).

Doing 100s of GB of sustained writes is pretty much the hottest thing it's gonna do, so if it's under 70 now it'll probably stay under 70 while you're gaming despite the GPU.

OTOH if it does stay above 50C while you're gaming, you can get adhesive or clip-on heatsinks / heatspreaders for m.2 drives. Don't get anything elaborate -- as said, the drives do kinda like being warm. A little thin one is enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I can't see what drives the OP was choosing between since their link doesn't work for me, but a lot of the posts in this thread are stuck in the PCIe 3 era. The controllers in high-speed PCIe 4 drives can definitely heat up to the point where they thermally throttle, even in cases with good airflow. Generally this only applies to sequential writes that last more than a few minutes, but if you're doing those then you need to use a heatsink to maximize performance. It's probably not something most people will ever notice, but there's a reason these heatsinks/heat spreaders exist.

Sure, but what can you do to produce several hundred gigabytes of data at 3GB/second. If you have hundred DVD rips you want to copy between NVMe drives then you can probably experience throttling, but in normal use you simply can't process enough data to run in to issues.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Sure, but what can you do to produce several hundred gigabytes of data at 3GB/second. If you have hundred DVD rips you want to copy between NVMe drives then you can probably experience throttling, but in normal use you simply can't process enough data to run in to issues.

It doesn't have to be *hundreds* of gigs. You'll see it when moving large game folders from one drive to another, especially multiple back-to-back. It's not something you'll do every day, but I'm just saying that it's not literally pointless.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

id probably keep the 20 bucks and have it take that very uncommon normal end user activity take like 25s more or whatever

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

“the NAND flash likes being warm, and writing when at 40-50C will actually increase data retention / longevity.“

This is actually why I do use a heat spreader.

Mine are at 49C and 54C and it spreads that to all the lil chips instead of letting it build up on whatever is making the most heat.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You can buy a 2-pack of nvme heatsinks that come with elastic bands you use to strap them down for like €/$/£10

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Xenoborg posted:

You know that motherboard already has a heatsink/spreader already, right?
You have to remove it to mount the drives under it. Granted, you can leave it off if you wanted to use your own.

My ASUS boards have that and the three NVME drives I have in there haven't gotten over 50°C.
Right now it's about 21°C in my room and the RAID drives(under the same heatsink) are at 46° and 44° and my game drive under another heatsink is 43°.

All the drives are SN850X. Two 1TB and one 2TB.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Turmoil posted:

You know that motherboard already has a heatsink/spreader already, right?
You have to remove it to mount the drives under it. Granted, you can leave it off if you wanted to use your own.

Nope! I’m nostly ignorant of anything having to do with M2 since it wasn’t around last time I built. Hopefully I don’t have a clash. I can ask at MC when I pickup.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh in this case, you should definitely not buy the version with the heatsink. Use the built-in motherboard heatsinks instead.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Xenoborg posted:

Nope! I’m nostly ignorant of anything having to do with M2 since it wasn’t around last time I built. Hopefully I don’t have a clash. I can ask at MC when I pickup.

It should be fine.

That board has three m.2 slots. You can just leave the heatsink off the the one you're putting that drive in.

The drive you're getting has a RGB LED on it so it'll look nice in that slot.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Not sure if this is the right thread, lemee know if not.

Anyone here ever had a motherboard cause coil whine to come from the PSU?

Bought a Corsair rm750e, and it had coil whine, only when idle. Really bad though, like across the room bad.
Amazon had a replacement to me within the day. Same issue.
I have a video of this (second) one (the bad, unchangeable, thumbnail is just my hand lol)

So two Corsair PSUs, I thought I'd get something off of that Cultist list. Got an NZXT 1200C total overkill, but it was only £30 more than the Corsairs
Nope. Even worse. It's like Josh Wink's Higher State Of Consciousness at points. Again it is fine under load.

So, that's now 3 different PSUs, all with the same issue. Never had this with the previous PC. Sadly don't have any spare parts to cross check things with.
Tried removing everything once at a time, RAM, SSDs, all peripherals. Tried different power cables, different sockets in different parts of the house.
Tried all sorts of BIOS settings, default, etc etc. It starts as soon as the power does (second video shows) and only stops if there's a load on the CPU.

So, the only thing I'm left with is the motherboard?

Or the CPU? That seems unlikely as gently caress for some reason, and afaik it won't even boot without it in there
I'm at the end of my rope here. I'll probably just order another, different motherboard from Amazon and see.
Anyone of you ever experienced this?

ASUS Prime B650M
Corsair 6000/c30 RAM (from the compatibility list)
7800x3d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JTueHXwMJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsCOcDOmev4

ASUS Prime B650M
Corsair 6000/c30 RAM (from the compatibility list)
7800x3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think you just got unlucky with power supplies. The RMe series from Corsair isn't as bad as the CX series, but it's still a low-cost power supply made with pretty cheap components. And I don't know much about NZXT's power supplies, but if they're selling a 1200W one for just £30 more than the RM750e, then I can't imagine the component quality is very good.

The RMx line from Corsair is a much safer bet when it comes to component quality and noise.