Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

teagone posted:

sneaker bots

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

You guys even build PC's, didn't think so:
https://i.imgur.com/PNEAxKS.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only built two PCs but I can already say that picking out the parts and building the PC is more fun than actually using it.

I went back and forth about upgrading my core knowing full well the performance wouldn't significantly enhance my experience, but I needed to build.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't it like a visual novel or something?

Lol. PC building sim is fun but I quit after just a few jobs because it becomes like work real fast.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wtf is ‘semi-passive cooling’

pretty sure you need good airflow in the case or it doesn't perform right. tbh it seems really stupid and edge-case usable, and it's expensive.

e, LOL and they themselves recommend putting a fan on it in overclocking situations. like wtf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbvxsPTI84

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 15, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

It does look cool in the case, even being so chonky it kind of makes the whole thing flush looking and I'm down for that. Wonder how it would perform submerged in mineral oil.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I guess the idea is no moving parts machine, that's gotta be the idea, but it's pointless. They even have a passive cooling GPU in there LOL
. The heat will rise out the case, that's all good, but at this point having it inside of a case wouldn't be optimal at all.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I know we’re all getting a laugh at this, but seriously there are use cases where an entirely silent PC is incredibly important.

I’m surprised they’re marketing it to the DIY crowd though. This has enterprise written all over it.

Tell me the use cases, I've been waiting to hear the use cases all drat day.

this all feels like some audiophile thing, they're trying to remove all moving parts but they still have to use a power supply with a fan, so they low key don't talk about that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I usually see silent pcs for things like recording studios. Even an in home one is going to have computers involved these days and big air coolers with no fans on a 65 watt CPU can usually be run fanless or with just one 200mm system fan. Back in the day there were some power supply shrouds to that would attach to the outside back of the PSU and have baffles to cut down the fan noise while letting air through.

Not sure about the GPU but there's a lot of GPU hand off for parallel tasks these days. Also, maybe someone will run it in mineral oil for a funny video.

I've been pretty happy with computer noise levels since everyone went to 120mm fans or bigger. It's frustrating that there are so many 40mm fans on 3d printers.

ok fair enough

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Have you looked at intel NUCs?

Deez NUCs?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

amazing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This is a weird question...have any of you had issues with M.2 drives having problems with certain games, or corrupting installs? It happened to me but it's probably and edge case since it was a compressed pirated game, but the same thing installed fine on my old system without M.2 drives. I also had issue with a legit game I bought but it's early access so I'm not surprised...same game ran fine on old system and just won't load on new one. Thankfully everything else I've installed has worked just fine.

I have this theory in my mind like M.2 works too fast and the programing isn't happy about it and errors out the process while trying to load it. I heard something similar happened when the consoles were moving to SSDs and they had to work out how to account for the timing of the data and it caused issues with some games.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

turns out it was actually bad RAM causing the problem.

I suppose that's the weak link in my system, I bought some cheaper ram and it's also the only thing overclocked, but I've had zero stability issues you typically get when the ram is clocked wrong or failing. Likely is just the programs though, games be weird like that on certain hardware sometimes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Should be pretty easy to pull down the clock, test, and readd the clock if needed. A clock that's stable enough to run windows could easily be unstable enough to cause issues like this.

fair enough I'll do some testing with it factory clocked.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

kw0134 posted:

Something about getting affirmation makes pushing the "buy" button a little easier, thank you. Now to await their arrival and pray my cats don't try to eat the thermal paste when I build this thing.

That and avoid getting cat hair between the cooler and the processor.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Thank you for mentioning this. I built this computer like 2 years ago and I was like "Hmmm I wonder if I have that enabled on my current PC". So I checked my performance test and whelp:

use cpuz

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

njsykora posted:

You don't need an SSD heatsink, especially since most motherboards now will have one built in.

my mobo has 3 slots, top slot came with shroud and I don't like the way it fits onto the drive, I got that same WDblack with shroud in the bottom slot, I want to use the middle slot but my GPU blocks any shroud, so would have to go naked. I wish they would place the slots away from PCI area somehow.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

holy poo poo lol.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

Bit of an issue with the build for my brother (full specs here). The EVGA 3070 I've sourced is too long to fit the case with the CPU cooler radiator (a Corsair iCUE H100i):

The card is not currently sitting in a PCIe slot. It needs to go into one of the two shown (the third is under the card in the shot above but is the slot lower than the GPU is sitting, so I can't use that one). I obviously need space for the power leads so even if I could shift the radiator back a few millimetres to cram it in, I'd still have an issue.

I can't see that I can keep the cooler: The top of the case (left of shot) is fixed with rivets, has no mounting holes and would have no airflow, the bottom section has no mounting holes and the PSU will sit below at the back of the case, so would not be ideal even if I could mount the radiator there.

It looks like the only solution would be to change out the cooler for something that will fit better. Any suggestions? It's on a i7-11700K which will be overclocked from 4.9GHz.

Looks like somebody's either getting a new case or getting an air cooler...either one is around the same price. Or you put the radiator outside the case.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sure you guys watch this channel already but if not it's a great resource for new hardware coming out. This newest video just makes me laugh, massively expensive fancy case, comes with nothing inside it, no fans, no harddrive cages, nothing...it's just a huge box that costs 500 dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HX4Y_KHM40

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask.

The last ~week when I do certain things my computer locks. One of the fans in the tower revs up to max and the screen goes black, but I still hear sound. Im 98% positive its my GPU, but that 2% thinks power supply (mostly because replacing a GPU right now is just loving yikes).

If it is the GPU, what can I get away with if I just want to play my dumb video games? Im fine with middle of the road graphics settings since its mostly MMOs, RPGs, and Paradox games and I dont have a home theater or anything to worry about maxing settings out.

System is a Frankenstein that I assembled from cheap parts I could find over the course of a few months... back in 2016-ish.

Intel Core i5-6600
Z170A M5
Radeon RX 480 (likely culprit for my problem)

Given its age Im honestly not sure if doing a full rebuild or just replacing the part is the way to go. The hesitation right now is price since I live in Canada and prices here are even more ludicrous.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Prayers?

easy test, take gpu out and plug in CPU graphics and see if it's stable

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah its the GPU. I was really hoping it wasnt but deep down I knew.

What counts as a mid range card these days? And who has experience buying parts in Canada? Its been a long time. :v:

I just checked for first time in a while and newegg has cards listed in stock, like 2060's...but obviously overpriced. Still interesting that there's some options that aren't ebay.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-gv-n2060oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932115

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Just letting you know this is kind of like ebay. This is the newegg marketplace and not newegg selling that card.

"Sold and shipped by: PC Power Marketplace"

that is true..ugh I wish this card shortage was over it's all so wacky. Have games companies finally bent the knee and just given up making good graphics games for pc yet, cause it's gonna happen if this keeps up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Old PC on the fritz. Repair or build new?

• What country are you in? US
  • What are you using the system for? Light gaming, general use
  • What's your budget? Whatever, looking for advice really
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Anything would be an improvement by this point :v:

Ok so I'm getting a hardware failure on my ~5 year old PC and I've diagnosed it to one of the big three: CPU, mobo, or PSU. Computer will flick on, then off, then on, then off at about 2 second intervals.

I checked the leads on the PSU with a multimeter and they all seemed like the correct voltages. No idea if the power is still clean but I only buy high rated power supplies by well known companies, probably an Antec or a Rosewill

LGA 1150 Intel CPU
ASRock B85M Pro4

So my options as I see it are:

1. Get a replacement motherboard and hope the CPU is fine
  2. Get an upgraded CPU and hope the motherboard is fine
  3. Get a new one of both, and either hope the PSU is fine or get a new power supply too

While I'd love a new GPU, that's been pretty :lol: lately and my old Radeon hunkajunk was perfectly adequate for my needs.

Just wondering what other people would recommend in my situation. I have friends near a micro center so that's an option too.

I had one generation prior to your CPU and when I looked into upgrading my system, I thought "this poo poo is almost 10 years old, I might as well just get the most current gen and really feel that upgrade." They just dropped new processors, and some are cheap but you'll essentially be doubling your performance on a single core. Also moving to DDR4 memory will boosts performance.

Just take the hit and get an 11000 series CPU/mobo/memory, it's like 6 generations of intel cpus upgrade.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

fun video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh1vuugd9zw

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I put the mobo on top of the mobo box. I put the cpu, ram and cooler on then. I grab the whole thing by the cooler and put it into the case, then I put the GPU in. :/ it works just fine and I've done it a number of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

change my name posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulhFi5N2hc

Man I love reviews of bad products (but at this point everyone knows Alienware is bad, right?)

they should just sell gouged cpu/gpu bundles and stop with all the pretense lol.