Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fabulousity posted:

Oh, and use a clean credit card or similar item to spread a thin layer of thermal paste on the CPU lid before installing the heatsink. Begin angry debating.

Thermal paste is one of those things where I suspect I'm bad at it, but only because who knows? God willing that heat sink isn't coming off for another couple years.

I just do the dab in the middle and as far as I know the heat sink spread it out but it's not like there's a way to check. My 3700x I remember being a little toastier than I expected, and now my 5900x is sitting at around 60-65 idle with a nh-u12s but it's also 90 degrees out here in the world's dustiest country so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fabulousity posted:

60-65 is kind of high for an idle on 5900X? Shouldn't it be more like 40-45?

Yeah, it's not great. I probably should monitor it a little more closely to see what its actual lows and highs are but, surprisingly I've never seen it get too high either, even if it's not getting too low.

I don't know how much ambient temperature really affects this sort of thing, so maybe that's a big part of it. Either way, it doesn't ever seem to be throttling at least.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Your case cooling may be more of an issue if you idle high and average under load.

That would make sense. I try to keep everything as clean as I can but, it's not easy. I'm not in the cleanest part of China, dust builds up everywhere and on everything ridiculously fast.

If I kept all the empty cans of compressed air I've gone through I could probably make a cool art project out of them.

At least I hope that's the problem, cuz that means I probably didn't gently caress anything up.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've done media center pcs way back in the day, little media boxes, all that stuff.

And I don't get it. Nothings ever been better than a very long HDMI cable.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I have an msi 2070 super ventus that's going to be replaced soon (hopefully, you know.)

I also got 16gb of ram just sitting around, and my old 3700x. Almost a computer. So my plan is, when I get the new gpu use the old parts + other stuff to make a small computer to replace an old laptop that basically exists to run the Jellyfin client, watch Netflix, some emulation, moonlight to stream games, etc that drives my projector basically.

But I guess that doesn't matter, my question is what's the smallest form factor that 2070 super and stuff would fit in? I really don't know how big anything is besides atx, and I don't wanna buy a mini-itx mobo and case and then be like "well drat no way this is fitting in anything"

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

We would need to know the specific card you have. There’s lots of 2070 supers.

It's this one

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

loopsheloop posted:

I guess there's no reason to assume something bad is going to happen though, they still have a week and a half to get it here. Just seemed a little suspect

My wife works selling equipment from China to other countries, so we watch this stuff pretty closely. If it makes you feel any better we've seen big improvements in shipping times. Not as big of an improvement in shipping times for things coming into China, but that's all down to Chinese policy stuff. Things are infinitely better compared to the dark times of what, a few months ago? And nothings just vanishing or anything.

Depends on a lot of things but October 6th to 8th seems reasonable if it's express.

Be glad it's shipping from Wuhan and not Beijing though, otherwise you wouldn't be getting anything until November lol.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 28, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey, I just need a part recommendation and I can't find a more appropriate thread.

I run USB3 over fiber into my theater room, there's a bunch plugged into stuff over there but one thing I've been doing is getting my main office computer connected to it, because that computer has a 4090 in it. I messed with nvidia gamestream and everything but wasn't completely happy with the results and found a way better solution, hdmi also over fiber.

So the USB3 over fiber thing was originally for running vr out there, but now I'm thinking, why not get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and my bluetooth controllers all plugged in there too? Problem is, when I got the hardware for the USB3 over fiber thing I only planned for VR, which is USB3. Doing USB2 and USB3 over fiber is more expensive so I went with just USB3. If I plug anything that's USB2 into it it just wont work.

Do explicitly USB3 bluetooth adapters exist? Because unless I can find a way to blast bluetooth through walls and about 20m that's gonna be my only option. And if they exist, can anyone recommend one? I went looking myself but "USB Version" is not a thing they put up front on the ad for the millions of bluetooth adapters out there.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I need to build another computer from leftover parts that I need for a specific thing, which is why I'm looking for suggestions instead of just buying whatever

The parts I have so far

a 3700x
MSI 2070 Super Ventus
A 650w asus psu I got somewhere, I think.
A whole bunch of ddr4 just lying around I dunno, probably can scrape together 32GB of matching sticks
I have harddrives, but not SSDs (though I could pick one out from somewhere I have a bunch, but they're all at least somewhat used and I'd rather just buy another SSD for the OS)
Here's what I plan to do with this computer.

It's going to run Linux, probably Debian.
I plan to stick a bunch of harddrives in it. I'm just gonna start with 4 18tb harddrives but I'd like to have some room to keep going if I need to. I'm not actually sure what the limit is on x570 boards or something without having to buy another pcie card but, if I have to do that eventually I will, but if my mobo choice can give me more room to start that'd be great.

The computer is going to be a kind of NAS and a Jellyfin server. But I also want to hook it up to the projector I got in that room and have that run the Jellyfin client, Netflix, etc. Then, another screen connected to it is going to be this PVM I got that I use for watching old TV and old videogames. This gets complicated and, I know I can have audio from some things go to the projector and then audio from the other things go to the PVM but if they're both HDMI outputs on the same GPU I'm not sure if that'll work or if I gotta buy a 2nd soundcard. But that doesn't matter much for building it in the first place so whatever.

So, I guess what matters is probably gonna be the case and mobo? A case that I can fit hard drives in, and a mobo I can hook them all up to.
Other than that I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money since this isn't my main computer or anything but a box I'm gonna have stuck underneath my desk for watching tv/playing SNES roms.

I would just go and buy a case that looks nice and the mobo I had before but I wanna check here and see what maybe some good options are for this or if there's anything that would be especially better than just buying whatever, or something that saves me money now that it's not the newest cpu gen. And I guess I need a heatsink too since I dont wanna use a loud one like the one that comes with amd cpus, but I also dont need amazing cooling, it's not gonna be overclocked and I'm not doing any intense gaming on it.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 24, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm helping a friend with a build. He's the type that does not upgrade often and wants to build something very good because he deserves it and his new job pays well, and his life is stressful with a new kid and stuff so he deserves a loving 4090.

He is using it almost entirely for gaming. He wanted "a lot of storage" but when I said "well, we start with a 4tb drive, more than that gets pretty expensive for an SSD" he said "Does anyone really need that much?" so he and I have very different ideas of "a lot of storage."
One problem is that we are in China, so prices are not the same. He has a budget of 30,000RMB (about $4,000 USD)

He already has a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc you know all that stuff.

Here was the first build plan, it was intentionally kinda "here's the best I'm thinking that might be close with that budget"

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QwhLcH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Taichi EATX AM5 Motherboard ($485.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($2174.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL ATX Full Tower Case ($204.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3924.83

7800X3D because, I've seen the benchmarks and this is a gaming machine, I've seen how the 5800X3D is still holding up, it just seems like the perfect CPU here.
The 4090 was originally a placeholder, like a "well, if you can get it, my 4090 has served me very well" (The Asus TUF OC is also a sorta placeholder, because that's the one I have, and it's been very good to me) But it feels absurd, the GPU is 50% of the whole build...

I went with the X670E mobo because, first, this was the cut no corners build. But maybe he doesn't need that? For me I do weird poo poo and need a lot of SATA ports. But one thing I also thought, I had heard about AM5 and DDR5, memory controllers having trouble with very fast ram, right? So, are you going to have more luck there with X670 than B650? I'm open to other motherboards, I went with the Asrock because I like the idea of Asrock, I'm glad I live in a world where they exist, and I've actually really liked my x570 taichi and the Internet made it sound good.

The RAM is overkill, and that was what I thought right away "we can cut this down to 32", but I did think he's probably not upgrading for a long time. And maybe, what if he wanted to get into AI stuff? I do a ton of it, and he's been kinda interested in some stuff (he just doesn't have the GPU for it, right now he has a laptop with a 970) And, having a lot of normal RAM can help for very large models. If he wanted to upgrade to 128 it's just buy 2 more 32GB sticks. If he had 2 16gb sticks, he'd have to replace them and buy 4 32GB sticks. This ram also everyone seems to think is really good?

SSD, just starting with that 4tb drive. It's a samsung drive, there didn't seem to be a significant difference in price between all the other 4tb m.2 ssds out there to matter.

PSU I dont have much of an opinion on. I usually use Asus PSUs, they've never failed me, but we were getting kinda close to the budget.

So, first question. Does this build make sense? Obviously it's a lot, but he's looking to spend a lot and have something great for gaming for quite a while hopefully, no matter what he wants to play. Are there any glaring problems with it besides "That's a lot of money for a computer"? (It is, but, thats just how it seems to be if you want a 4090 I dunno) It still makes sense though, right? I made some other builds that were more reasonable, and we thought we could figure out a final build from there, but the more we talked the more he decided he really wants the 4090 and the 7800x3d.

Regardless we are going to have to make some compromises, because even though it's within the budget in dollars, you go to buy that stuff in China and:

We are 5000RMB over budget

Is it maybe possible to get a cheaper 4090, compromise on a few other things and maybe get close enough that it's doable?

Obviously drop the ram down to 32gb, maybe there's a good but more budget friendly (as weird as that feels to say when trying to make a build with a 4090 and a 7800x3d) motherboard out there, the x670e taichi is pretty expensive. Maybe there's a cheaper case too that can chop off a bit? I dunno, is there a way to make this work? And if not, what do we compromise on/change to get the best we can out of his budget?

I think we can do it with just a different brand GPU. I paid 15,000rmb-ish for mine on launch I think. And that one there is 20,000 for some reason. So, I did a quick check of Jingdong, there are cheaper ones. But, which one? Which cheaper 4090 is a good option?

Edit: I also thought, this PSU is fine though, right? With my 1000W PSU, I knew the least about that.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 1, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Made a few adjustments, but I have no idea if these will translate to the necessary savings you're needing in RMB.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($364.56 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($138.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1699.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMe (2023) 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3113.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-01 05:45 EDT-0400

Reasoning for changes are 32GB of RAM is the "sweet spot" now and 64GB really is way overkill. Picked a cheaper X670E board that, iirc, is still considered to be good. Swapped to a liquid cooler due to Ryzen 7000s tendency to run at its thermal limit all the time. Reduced cost 4090 in USD. Cheaper case that is just as good at the one you had selected. PSU swapped to what I personally feel is a more reliable PSU brand with higher wattage (assuming 1.5x system power draw is still the recommended way to determine PSU size). Hopefully this can get you closer to your target in RMB.

Amazing! Thanks, it looks like this is gonna work even in China. Everythings available and not too much more here.

He's totally pumped about it, but for some reason I'm totally pumped about it now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Not exactly. There was a clarification made to specify that 4090s would be banned for export to Chinese businesses/production lines but not consumer end-users. There were a brief few days where all of the 4090 + 4090 pre-built inventory went completely out of stock or otherwise astronomically priced (think 50k rmb per card). They've slowly come back for the big 11.11 sale, but they're still massively upmarked at like 18k-20k upwards of 30k RMB.

As a disclaimer, I'm currently living in China and was planning to buy a new pre-built 4090 PC but now have to settle for a 4080 build since 4090 prices skyrocketed.

Oh drat, that's actually good to know. I had only sort of heard a little bit about the ban, didnt know the details or if it was even for sure happening. More worried about what it means for me two generations from now, because I'm not gonna pass on a 6090.

But I was pretty confused when he showed me that the GPU I bought for under 15,000 was now over 20,000. And then we went looking for another seller for that exact GPU and they were all out of stock except for one "wait 5 weeks, import from America one" I just assumed it was taxes or something? Because mine, when I got it on launch, the guy was getting them from Taiwan I think.

I did see some normal price ones on Jingdong when we went to check other brands, but maybe they were out of stock. This is gonna be an 11.11 thing anyway so hopefully it'll all be ok.

Also how is that supposed to stop Chinese businesses from getting them at all? Won't they just buy them on Jingdong like the rest of us?