Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Hi,
Looking to upgrade my CPU+MB+RAM from i7-7820X with 32GB DDR4 RAM to one of these:

AMD: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3VNHrD
Intel: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8jbqyK

I put the cooler in that list, though I would quite like to use my existing one (with some new mounting kit presumably), although I do not know exactly what Noctua model is it, was bought quite some time ago:

Microcenter: Ehh ... a 3 (one-way) hour drive to Detroit, I'd avoid it if possible.

Usage: Development, some gaming (WoW, 2x4k monitors) too. The HEDT platform nowadays is just too drat expensive. The lists above fit within my budget.

I'm a bit weary of the new Intel big/little CPU approach as I don't quite trust the linux kernel to appropriately schedule processes to the right CPU. AMD on the other hand ... has its own issues as well it seems. Overall, with RAM and everything, what system would give the best bang for the buck out of these 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The cooler looks like an NH-D14 with the fans placed in the wrong order (the bigger one with the round frame is meant to be in the middle). Noctua is good about sending free mounting kits if you shoot their support an email.

The 7950X and 13900K are actually pretty close in terms of multi-threaded performance. Puget Systems' review for content creation tells us that the 13900K wins with 2D content (images and video) and the 7950X wins with 3D content (CPU ray tracing and rendering). TechPowerUp's review tells a slightly different story, with the 13900K tying or winning in most areas, including code compile (though still losing in vray). It's worth reading all of TPU's review because the CPUs trade blows in a lot of tests, and which one is the best of you will differ depending on your workflow. One area that the 7950X unequivocally reigns supreme in though is power efficiency. It's easier to cool and keep at peak performance than the 13900K, particularly if you want to stick with your D14. So that may be enough to push things in favor of AMD.

drat, thanks about the fan heads up. Been running that for years, although ... it's been very much fine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

The case looks like it might be a Meshify C? Regardless of what you do, you should consider reconfiguring your fans to improve the positive pressure on the case and cut down on the dust

I had good luck with 2x140mm intake and 1x120mm exhaust in a push-pull configuration in that case

The case is a Corsair obsidian something (big tower, plenty of space) bought back in 2008. Yeah, there's dust in there, but ... eh. I don't go in there very often (last time when I bought the 3070, about 1.5 years ago).

Volguus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 20, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
There's 2cm space in there ... would that not be enough? The temps are more than adequate, in the 70s usually, with games full loaded. Idle, right now, the GPU is at 41C. "sorting that out" is PCI slot dependent, of course, though I see no issues with it as it stands.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What is the thread's opinion about motherboard manufacturers nowadays? Specifically I'm interested in the AM5 platfrom.

I always held Asus in high regard, but it seems (due to people complaining in this forum, other threads) that they kinda dropped the ball in the QA department. ASRock (manufacturer I have in my list), I've always seen as the little Asus step-child, cheap and lovely motherboards, but that may have changed lately. The MBs seem to have a good balance of price and features, not sure about quality.. I currently have an MSI board and it works like it should, for the last 5 years I've had it. I've had a Gigabyte board about 20 years ago, I was extremely put off by it. It ... kinda worked, usually, though I promised myself that I'd never buy a Gigabyte motherboard ever again.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The 7000D is a massive full-tower case in a world that has no need for full-tower cases because most of our drives are little gumstick-sized SSDs that slot directly into the motherboard. The main reason to go with a 7000D at this point would be if you wanted to install an elaborate multi-radiator custom water cooling loop. Using the case for a simple air-cooled PC makes little sense, and I'd step down to a 5000D or 4000D Airflow if you prefer Corsair's aesthetic.

I bought a full tower (Corsair Obsidian something) back in 2009. I still use it to this day. It's easy to work in, spacious, air flows, cpu temps are down, no downsides only upsides. I presume that I will still use it for many years to come since there's not much that can break in a case. Unless, of course, I'd drop it and shatter it to pieces one day, as it is indeed big and heavy. I upgrade parts inside more often than I had to move it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul Kemp posted:

The main thing I'm trying to avoid is having to have a monitor set up to be connected to it whenever it needs to boot.

Since you do need some way to troubleshoot when something goes wrong, I would recommend looking into a PiKVM. I have one connected to 4 computers that I have in the basement (one also has IPMI, but PiKVM is better) via an EZCOO HDMI and USB switch. The entire installation is not cheap, but it saves me from having to attach a monitor&keyboard when things go very wrong. And the PiKVM is just there ... as a "monitor".

But it's probably cheaper to find a MB that doesn't require it, though I'm not aware of which ones support that for sure. I have a mini ITX MB for an Intel CPU that had an option in the BIOS to not stop booting on keyboard or video error. Before I had the PiKVM that's what I used and just attached a monitor when had to. Maybe you can check if your MB has that kind of an option.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 28, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

Almost every modern cooler from a half-decent company comes with at least a satchel or a pre-applied spread, and a lot these days come with a syringe good for 2-3 applications

What's the shelf-life of a paste that has been opened once? 10 years? More?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

I need new ram. Canada. How should I go about it?

Canada computers. Memory Express. Newegg if you can stomach them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What's a good AIO for 13700k? Non RGB or with RGB that can be turned off.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The 13900K is definitely not worth it for a gaming rig. The extra performance isn't all that much, and it requires some ridiculous cooling to get the most out of.

What kind of cooling would be recommended for a 13900? To "get the most out of"? Is air out of the question?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Whats a good option for a motherboard that supports bifurcation so that I can run a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B29JYL84

I need to wipe a whole bunch of M.2 NVME's, and every PC I currently have both does not support bifurcation, and only has one or two M.2 slots. I figure two or three of those 4x boards, and I should be able to get through it quickly.

AMD/Intel doesnt matter, and this does not need to be built with gaming in mind, or with more than 8/16GB of RAM in mind, since the wiping software is pretty light on the requirements side.

I had sometime ago an MSI x299 motherboard (LGA 2066) that supported bifurcation. However, instead of going out to buy a CPU+MB+RAM for this, wouldn't an NVME controller be better (and potentially cheaper)? Something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Highpoint-SSD7105-Bootable-4-Port-Controller/dp/B0B25VPFMK/?

You would still need PCIe lanes though, so you would need to be on a platform that has enough of them to go around.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Blorknorg posted:

Every step fights me unfortunately. I've never been able to purchase from their site, in any browser, with any level of java permissions enabled. Some segment between putting things in a cart and actually checking out just doesn't work for me, and their site in general is unforgivably shaky for a computer store. I'm also not sure that my stupid debit card has enough daily limit to cover the price...and of course the bank doesn't answer their chat requests OR their support line for me to even try to ask.

I may end up having to just give up on this idea and go back to anxiously watching for Amazon sales again. So it goes. Maybe Canada Computers will take a cheque, I don't know because they don't answer their phones either. I guess I have until July until it really matters anyways.

In any case I really do appreciate everyone's patience and assistance and I apologize if it felt like I was implying you were giving me crap.

What I do is just check what they have, their store supply and just go an pick it up. I'm fortunate that I have 2 of them in a 20 min drive from me. But the website is just poo poo. Even filtering .... ughh. The newegg website I found to have the best filtering out there for computer components.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
drat that's a nice case. No 5.25'' bay, but otherwise is a very nice case.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rexxed posted:

How will you light your cigarettes without a front panel bay?!?

There are other uses for a 5.25'' bay than a cigarette lighter or a coffee cup holder, you know ... In my case is an SD card writer. Now, yes, all of that can be easily solved with a simple usb device, but god drat having it right there is so convenient. Since the case, while old (2008), works just as fine as day one, I aint gonna replace it anytime soon. But that Asus one is a nice case though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
It's in the basement, who gives a poo poo?

(though, when I have mine building my fuckaround projects, I do hear it from the living room. yeah, it's a loving helicopter.)