Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I happen to have an old B450 board (msi b450m pro-vdh) that I acquired a while ago and no CPU to go with it, yet. I've got a bit of money and am looking to make a modest improvement to my now very old computer (running on an i3 3220).

What are my options for getting the bios on this updated to support more recent CPUs? Amd's loaner program is only for 500 series boards. Buying an older ryzen CPU to do the update is more expensive than just getting a more recent motherboard.

Is the board effectively useless or do I still have options with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dominoes posted:

I'm surprised most people here are doing full or almost-full system replacements instead of PC-of-Theseus.

Mine is technically a PC of Theseus because I got my new GPU first and stuck it in my old computer. But, I'm doing a generational update to my CPU and RAM and SSD (yes, my old computer is old enough that I don't have an m.2 slot), so I've basically got a whole new computer. And then I might as well keep the old computer together to use as a media server/whatever, so I should be getting a new case and PSU.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Branch Nvidian posted:

That case is almost certainly non-standard, so you'd need to replace it if you want to build something new/upgrade. That said, the Fractal Design Pop cases do have a drive bay at the bottom front of the case, hidden behind a little panel. You could swap an optical drive into it from your current system.

My current case is a similar looking pavilion case and it supported a normal mATX board. And IIRC the front panel connectors were standard as well.

e: looked it up and it seems that exact computer is similar.

https://partsurfer.hp.com/partsurfer/?searchtext=H3Y79AA&searchby=product

The included board is a normal micro atx so the case should accommodate any other micro atx motherboard.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 1, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I assume the 2GB SSD is a typo (2TB, perhaps?), because that would be my recommendation for the first place to upgrade to improve general workstation type tasks. Assuming that it is indeed a typo and you are doing all your work off an SSD already, a lot of the best bang-for-your-buck CPUs don't have integrated graphics, so it's worth making sure if you don't already have a graphics card.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what prompted the PSU upgrade if you didn't add discrete graphics?

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 2, 2024

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's fine. Old PSU exploding is a very good reason to upgrade. And if you need help determining whether you have a GPU or not, just ask. dumb questions are fine.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You said everything I was going to say, except: The microATX version of the Pop Air (confusingly called the Fractal Design Pop Mini Air) still has the two external 5.25 inch drive bays, so that swap makes the new build a similar size to the sleeper case build.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Also, I would recommend the micro ATX board over the mini-ITX, because, down the line, it gives you space for a gpu and other expansion cards you might want (like maybe a fancy audio interface as you ramp up your production hobby)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I had a computer that booted correctly every third attempt. Fixed with a bios reset. No idea why.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Volguus posted:

There are other uses for a 5.25'' bay than a cigarette lighter or a coffee cup holder, you know ... In my case is an SD card writer. Now, yes, all of that can be easily solved with a simple usb device, but god drat having it right there is so convenient. Since the case, while old (2008), works just as fine as day one, I aint gonna replace it anytime soon. But that Asus one is a nice case though.

There are absolutely still new cases with external drive bays, though they don't usually get the press that other cases get. The fractal pop air is a good compromise between the fancy new case design and still having that functionality.

If you just want a big ol tower with space for a million drives, and don't want your external bays hidden behind a door, there's not a lot of sleek new options, but the older cases are available and function just fine; maybe they have had a slight revision to support mounting 2.5 inch drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
To use it like a pc you'll probably want a dock.