Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My brother's current PC is 6 years old, built with parts that were 2-ish years old at the time. He's basically unable to play modern games like Dead Space due lacking access to newer DX12 Ultimate apis and some other stuff, plus it's just a really limited system by today's standards. His current build is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KCxzjZ
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
Mobo: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac
RAM: G.Skill NT 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-2400 CL15
Storage: PNY 120GB SSD + Seagate Firecuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB
PSU: Corsair RM550x
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S

Saw an MSI AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT on Newegg that after promo+MIR came out to $230 and bought it thinking it would be a decent upgrade for him; however, I'm now thinking about the fact that he's still using a Skylake-S quad core with no hyperthreading and slow-rear end 2400 MHz RAM. He doesn't have much in the way of budget, which is why I bought him the card, but just how bad are his remaining components going to hamper the new GPU? Do I need to look at getting him a new CPU/RAM/Motherboard as well at this point? He desperately wants to play the new Dead Space remake, but I also don't want to spend more than an Xbox Series S if I can avoid it, since that could also play the game. FWIW I have a Ryzen 5 3600 non-X and 16GB of 3000 MHz DDR4 memory just laying around, so it'd literally just be a motherboard that would need to be replaced, but looking at prices for mITX options they're still kinda pricey for him/what I'm willing to just randomly spend on him.

The other question considering the GPU is that it's PCIe 4.0 x8 (full x16 slot, but only half the pins are wired up). As such, using his current board, or a B450/A520 replacement, would mean he'd be running at PCIe 3.0 x8. How much of a performance impact is that going to actually have? If it's 5% or less then whatever, but if we're talking double-digit performance percentage differences due to AMD being sneaky shits then the board will have to be B550.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Christ almighty, does anyone know where I can get one (1) 8-pin PCIe/GPU power supply cable compatible with a Cooler Master V850SFX?

I contacted CM and they directed me to cablemod who is going to take over a month because they have to custom make cooler master cables and don’t keep any just in stock. Every other place I’m finding just sells extensions or looks like they’re begging me to let them steal my credit card information.

This probably isn’t the right thread, but gently caress me if I can figure a better place to ask.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grog posted:

There are a couple of threads on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolermaster/comments/ybd6pk/pcie_cable_for_v850sfx/, https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/104imc0/cooler_master_v850_sfx_pcie_cables/

It sounds like moddiy might be able to supply you with the right kind of cable, based on what a couple of people in there mentioned.

Excellent, thank you. I guess the search phrases I was using on Google just wasn’t turning them up.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

I have a never used pci-e 8pin but it’s from a V750SFX. No idea if that will work.

That will absolutely work. I'll PM you if that's okay.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Guy in a Discord I’m in asked for a build suggestion for $1500-ish CAD plus $550 USD for their GPU. Just looking for a sanity check to make sure I’m not recommending an awful config. Their existing system is going to be passed to a kid, so they need new everything.

Edit: They play FF14 and Eve at 1080p60Hz. So this is probably an overkill spec, but it’ll at least last a good while.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($719.87 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($100.33 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($242.95 @ shopRBC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($149.98 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ PC-Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact Lite ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 850 GQ 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1555.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-18 09:59 EDT-0400

Plus this GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6800 XT

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 18, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Made a few adjustments, but I have no idea if these will translate to the necessary savings you're needing in RMB.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($364.56 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($138.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X SLIM GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1699.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMe (2023) 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3113.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-01 05:45 EDT-0400

Reasoning for changes are 32GB of RAM is the "sweet spot" now and 64GB really is way overkill. Picked a cheaper X670E board that, iirc, is still considered to be good. Swapped to a liquid cooler due to Ryzen 7000s tendency to run at its thermal limit all the time. Reduced cost 4090 in USD. Cheaper case that is just as good at the one you had selected. PSU swapped to what I personally feel is a more reliable PSU brand with higher wattage (assuming 1.5x system power draw is still the recommended way to determine PSU size). Hopefully this can get you closer to your target in RMB.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So, just to freak out prospective PC builders who are anxious, my Noctua NH-D12L I was trying to mount on my brother's upgraded computer wasn't fully mounting on the provided hardware. I tried multiple times, checked for debris, even tried to screw it down with the mounting bracket off the board just to see if I could get it to work. Well I cranked a bit too hard on my final attempt and sheared the bolt off the bracket.

Hope Noctua covers that under warranty!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LionArcher posted:

I think I'm finally going to do it. Build my first PC for gaming/AI art creation At the end of this month with black friday pricing.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FZytCd

I'll be using one monitor/1080P. my main work machines are Mac's.

Any glaring issues with this build?

I don't know how they do for AI art creation, but the RX 7800 XT is a little cheaper than the 4070 and performs a little better if you don't care about DLSS or ray-tracing (though getting into AI art I assume you probably do care about those things). Additionally, you can probably save some money by going with a lower wattage PSU like the Cooler Master V750 SFX and/or dropping to an i7-12700KF since you're going to be using a dedicated GPU anyway. Doing both of those will save you about $90. Nothing looks egregious with your parts list to me though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean, aside from objections about what you'll use it for, you could get a MicroATX board with the same chipset and all the same features or more for almost half as much but no RGBs, and that is a completely fuckdiculous PSU for that kind of PC. The case is also expensive for what you get. Are you utterly married to MiniITX as a form factor?

I completely just accepted the ITX tax on that build and didn't even think about recommending changes to a more standard sized computer.

LionArcher posted:

I think I'm finally going to do it. Build my first PC for gaming/AI art creation At the end of this month with black friday pricing.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FZytCd

I'll be using one monitor/1080P. my main work machines are Mac's.

Any glaring issues with this build?

With that in mind, here is a mid-tower build that's $300 cheaper. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B8pzvj

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Thanks for this. I’m a mac guy, so I was just throwing stuff into pc parts picker and seeing what worked. I liked the case but I’m not stuck on small form factor. I know I have to have intel for AI and a 12 gig at least of v ram on the graphics card. Honestly other than those things and trying to keep it under $2000 I’m pretty open. (And I don’t like the idea of water cooled in case of leaks).

With that budget and not being married to mITX you can do something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B8sMFs. I know you stated you want Intel, but the Ryzen 7950X is listed as a very good CPU for AI/ML work.

Shipon posted:

This is why I didn't even consider AMD until they announced AM5 was going to be LGA

This isn't the fault of the socket, and the CPU itself is fine. It was a fault with Noctua's Secufirm2 mounting bracket or the spring-tensioned screw on the NH-D12L itself.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LionArcher posted:

For private ML I need intel because of reasons, but that build looks like the right direction. I’m assuming I can switch out to a intel chip (and do I have to switch motherboards too?) and that’s probably what I’ll grab. And see if that case comes in white lol.

Yes, requires a different motherboard. Here you go. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qyLyg

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 4, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

And here's that build far cheaper (comes in at under $1000) in mATX. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pJdvRK

(EDIT: To be clear, the point here is that microATX is still reasonably small in most applications and it will save you an additional hundred or so, which can be applied toward a far beefier graphics card in particular - you'd be better served by a RTX 4070 or a RX7800, and even if you went with those in the mATX build, you'd still be under budget.)

And remember that we are weeks away from Black Friday/Cyber Monday. At this point it is worth waiting a few weeks to see what deals crop up.

Seconding this linked build. Since it still fits within the budget, going for an RTX 4070 instead of the 6700 XT makes a lot more sense. Unless you're an absolute sicko (it's me, I'm the sicko), or literally just do not have the space to hold anything bigger than a sub-14 liter case, the mITX tax is brutal and will give you worse performance per dollar than an equivalent ATX or mATX build. The Fractal Pop Air doesn't have a super large footprint, and I think it would probably work for most people, even ones who have limited space.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 5, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Effortlessly. That PC will crush anything current under 4k even with raytracing maxed out. EDIT: gently caress, I might even say that a 4070 will struggle to keep up with that much processor, but past the 4070 GPUs really start getting out of control, pricewise.

I'd still consolidate down to a 4TB drive instead of 2x2TB and have room for more drives in the future, but it's up to you.

Yeah, their budget limited the GPU option. Since AI/ML seem to be more important here I prioritized the CPU, but they could just as easily cut back on the CPU and put it towards the GPU; though with pricing being what it is I'm not sure it would get them to the next proper tier without blowing the budget or severely cutting down which CPU they can use.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LionArcher posted:

I can go over $2000. Not a ton over, but I can.

Putting in an RTX 4070 Ti, which according to TechPowerUp is a roughly 24% performance increase over the regular 4070, puts you at like $2050. Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales might bring this down a bit though.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pVN2kJ

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

So, just to freak out prospective PC builders who are anxious, my Noctua NH-D12L I was trying to mount on my brother's upgraded computer wasn't fully mounting on the provided hardware. I tried multiple times, checked for debris, even tried to screw it down with the mounting bracket off the board just to see if I could get it to work. Well I cranked a bit too hard on my final attempt and sheared the bolt off the bracket.

Hope Noctua covers that under warranty!

So Noctua emailed me about my RMA claim, which isn't really noteworthy beyond the last sentence here

Noctua RMA Support posted:

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with one of our products. May I kindly request a proof of purchase, so we can dispatch the necessary parts as quickly as possible?
Furthermore, kindly note that the CPU is currently attached to the Noctua cooler.

:allears:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I did at least reply that I was aware, that I removed the CPU after the photo was taken, and that the CPU was undamaged!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What in the chicken fried gently caress is this?

quote:

7. Buy-Out and Rent-to-Own
This Subscription is not a rent-to-own program. At no point will Subscriber own the Rental Devices, or other Services, provided under this Subscription, even if Subscriber payments aggregate to more than the collective retail price for all Services.

If Subscriber seeks to purchase their Rental Device, and/or any other Services in connection with this Agreement, Operator may, but is not required to, extend Subscriber an option to purchase their Rental Device(s), and any additional Services which Operator chooses to include.

PC rentals? For a hundred goddamn dollars a month, and it doesn't even have a buyout option??

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

That's much cheaper than Aaron's charges to rent stuff, just a keyboard and mouse are $65/mo:

If you want to buy an Xbox from Aarons: https://www.aarons.com/electronics/gaming/xbox-series-x-1tb-console-7339Z81.html

So Aarons and other lease-to-own programs are extremely predatory, but least at the end of the day you do own the stuff once you've paid 4x the actual price of your Xbox.

Edit: Like, don't get me wrong, I think lease-to-own programs are almost entirely scummy and predatory, but it's the lack of even having a buyout option for the PC that rubs me the wrong way. If someone who only wants a new system every 5 years gets one of these things that's nearly $6,000 for a system that right now would cost less than $1,200.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($158.10 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken 120 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Create Classic DL 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac Twin Edge GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($539.95 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H5 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Apevia Galaxy 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1134.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-06 20:20 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

You could just...finance an XSX from one of Microsoft's partners, pay half that monthly price, pay no interest and get Game Pass Ultimate thrown in the mix. :stare:

iirc the XSX all access finance thing actually comes out cheaper than buying the system outright plus game pass ultimate for an equal duration to the finance agreement.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, we have a "everyone shut the hell up" moment.

In just the past... few hours? A seller went live on Amazon with deals on graphics cards. Absurd deals. Deals that seem way too good to be true. Best AMD card prices on Amazon in forever. (And some deals of questionable taste.)

Naturally, there's a lot of reason to be skeptical, and certainly shipping will take a while (since it's coming from mainland China), but even if it turns out to be a complete scam, going through Amazon would, I think, still mean that Amazon itself is required to make good on the purchase even if it doesn't initially come through.

Folks with more recent Amazon experience can maybe chime in. I'm still having to talk myself out of picking up that 7900 XTX, because if it is legit, that is an absurd deal for $440. Hell, it'd be an absurd deal with a protection plan. At $440, a 7900 XTX would still do better in raytracing than a NV 4070 Standard (even with AMD's less-good raytracing implementation), and would just loving flatten it in non-raytraced apps, and it'd cost $100 less. The 4070Ti is also tempting as a cringe conversation piece, though, I can't tell no fibs.

My sibling in spirituality, those are scam sellers. Do not buy them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-WDoCAyaw

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My 3600 is still a perfectly adequate performer in pretty much everything I do but at that price who can resist?

Honestly the 3D v-cache in stuff that cares about it is an incredible uplift over even the regular non-3D part. The 5600 isn't a compelling upgrade from the 3600, but the 5600X3D sure as hell is. From some of the coverage I've seen from HUB and GN it's within reasonable spitting distance of the 5800X3D.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Moreover, the 5600X3D has more or less ceased to exist online, and I imagine fab on non-AM5 parts has either completely wrapped or is seriously winding down, so that might be your last shot at getting a 5600X3D that isn't eBay. If you're near a Microcenter and they're doing that deal, it is extraordinarily worth it.

5600X3D are 5800X3D chips that didn't meet validation. AMD partnered with MicroCenter exclusively to offload them. No one else sells them unless they're being resold.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kris xK posted:

I managed to get my aged 7700K running again so a computer build had been degraded from emergency to pressing need in the next few months.

I'm really looking at the 5800X3D and Im just wondering if I'm crazy? I know the chipset is end of life, but I feel its a good option for me. I dont want to spend a ton of cash, and I dont really play anything modern except for Baldurs Gate 3. Supposedly the X3D line is good for stuff like Stellaris, Factorio and Dwarf Fortress, which is basically all I play.

Does the thought of someone buying a 5800X3D at this point sound insane to people who actually know what they're doing?

If you're going to spend the money doing a platform replacement, which you would be doing by going to a 5800X3D, you're better served by going to a modern platform instead of another dead platform. Microcenter has a $500 bundle for a 7800X3D (replacement for the 5800X3D), an appropriate ATX motherboard, and 32GB of DDR5 6000MHz CL36 memory (there is an Intel variant with a 13700K and an ATX Z790 board); if you're near one this a pretty good deal and I think would be your best option. If you're not near one, you're still probably better off going with something on AM5 or a 13th Gen Intel system.

7800X3D Bundle
13700K Bundle
7800X3D PC Part Picker List
13700K PC Part Picker List

Do note that the Microcenter bundles have more expensive motherboards in them than the two PC Part Picker lists do for cheaper.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 10, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kris xK posted:

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. No microcenter in Canada unfortunately, but if I'm moving to an AM5 like I'm supposed to I can get a cheaper cpu and upgrade down the line. Thanks!

Canada Computers has this deal https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=&item_id=247953&sid=ut8m96adn1gnc3ttik6no95fc3 which isn't bad! 7700X, B650 motherboard with Wifi6, and 32GB of RAM.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Helpful goons gave me a build around my budget for a new PC a few months ago, and I wasn't in a rush and figured i'd wait for Black Friday sales to make the whole build cheaper. I'm looking at bundles, and the posted Canada Computer bundle came up that seems like it'd fit. I was hoping to use the savings to maybe invest in a better GPU if it makes sense.

Here's the build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MWzRTY

I have a 1tb nme drive waiting to be installed already, but I also think I should pick up another harddrive since games are gigantic these days.

Subbed in the Canada Computers bundle (set the bundle price for the CPU and $0 for the board and RAM), added a 1TB PCIe Gen. 4x4 NVMe drive, changed your case to one a few bucks cheaper, and changed the GPU from the XFX Speedster SWFT RX 6800 to the Sapphire Nitro+ 7800 XT which will be a much better card. Came in $16.72 CAD cheaper than the link you posted.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/tNZBvj

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

I heavily suspect the 7800X3D is going to go to US$350 at some point, at least, since a few recent sales took it that low. That's still a fairly significant price for some budgets and we'll see if it somehow goes lower, but given that it's the hottest item on the market right now, I kind of doubt it.

Pretty sure they mean the RX 7800 XT.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

J-Ro posted:

Hi everyone, trying to replace my aging Acer laptop with a desktop build that will allow me to both work and game comfortably but without going wild (my Xbox Series S is doing its' job, but sometimes there's PC only stuff I'd like to play around with). I would hope to close the whole thing in ~$2k, including a display, keyboard and OS (yes i will check SA Mart)

It's been a loooong time since I've build a PC last, but I think I got the build right. I would appreciate a second opinion tho. Selected storage sizes and optical drive a necessity.
If there are spots i can save money in without compromising the performance too much, I am open to suggestions.

Edit: closest Micro Center is ~250 miles away :(

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($285.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-4 2019 8 g Thermal Paste ($7.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 UD AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6800 CL34 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44Q 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI RTX 3060 Ventus 3X 12G OC GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12D2HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($88.01 @ MemoryC)
Total: $1491.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-10 17:23 EST-0500

Not sure where you're planning to put an internal optical drive, but that case won't hold one. You're better off just getting an external USB connected drive.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($374.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44Q 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING AMP Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1503.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-10 17:50 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That's going to depend on if it comes with the adapter in the box. If it was manufactured after LGA 1700 was on the market it'll probably have it in the box, if not then you'd need the adapter. Generally those adapters are made for people who bought the cooler for one build and are carrying it over to a new one on a new platform.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Leeching off the power supply chat, is this Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 650W power supply a decent option for a budget build? 80+ GOLD, 10 year warranty, and if I'm reading right, it is ATX 3.0 (I don't know what I'm talking about, but it has a 12VHPWR Connector and I think that indicates it is). That seems like a lot of power supply for $79.99 after the $10 discount.

Obviously 650w isn't that big, but the computer it is going into doesn't need much. I grabbed that Microcenter 5600x3d bundle and am going to move my 1070 over for now. I'll eventually upgrade the video card, but I doubt I'll be going higher than something like a 4070, and PCPP says even with a 4070 my build comes in at 414w.

For reference, the build (I'll need an SSD as well, but that's negligible, power-wise):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $115.42)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $35.76)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $125.13)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $29.44)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $305.75

That unit should be fine, it is assumed to be a b-tier PSU by cultists network. The general rule of thumb I use for PSU size is 1.5x the power draw PCPP says, and then round it up to the common wattage PSUs you can buy.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thermaltake Toughpower GX3 850W 80Plus Gold SLI/Crossfire Ready ATX 3.0 Power Supply; PCIe5 12VHPWR Connector Included; 5 Year Warranty; PS-TPD-0850NNFAGU-3 https://a.co/d/bccKTbF

Ended up buying this one. Someone let me know if I hosed up. The last one I bought was the 700w version.

Did you gently caress up? No, not really.
Is there a better option? Yes. Corsair RM850e, which has a 7 year warranty and after applying a $5 off coupon is only $10 more than what you paid for the Thermaltake PSU.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yes you're reading that correctly. Note that PCIE1 will be the first full slot on the board. If you use a lower x16 slot it will probably drop to a slower speed.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Thanks for the replies.
1. Unfortunately my old motherboard, the Asus P8P67, doesn't have an HDMI or a DVI port, so I don't think I can plug my monitor in.
2. I'd spend around $1000 on a new build, without the case and the power supply, which I'd reuse from the 2011 PC.
3. Thanks for suggesting the $200 video cards. I'm seriously considering it.

How close are you to a Micro Center?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I know multiple people at this point who have purchased the PowerSpec G516 and been extremely pleased with what they get for the money. It has the Micro Center exclusive 5600X3D and a pretty decent GPU for less than you would likely spend doing a DIY build with "worse" parts from Amazon/Newegg/Best Buy. From what you're saying you're gonna use a computer for, I think this might actually be your best, or at least a better, option.

One person I know bought that prebuilt and then swapped the GPU for a 7800 XT and flipped the included 6650 XT on eBay and came out cheaper than building something roughly equivalent on his own.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the post. You mentioned Black Friday deals. I assumed that $699 was the Black Friday price. Is it normal for the G516 to be that cheap?

It has been that price for about a month and a half. My assumption is they are trying to clear it out of inventory. I'm not anticipating the price going down any further, personally. They did this same thing with a 5800X3D/6950XT prebuilt a few months back. They had the price reduced to $1100 and when it was gone it was gone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

nullpunkt posted:

I've been trying to put together a new system as my old one is hitting its 10th birthday, mostly for flightsims and other niche stuff that the x3d versions seem to excel in. Don't really need the 4090 right now, but I figure I'll upgrade to 4k sometime soon and as all the graphics cards are hideously expensive anyway - why not just get the best one. Parts are mostly a mix of stuff that was recommended either here, on reddit or gamersnexus but I'm not really certain about any of it except the cpu. Does anything obvious stand out in this list?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€386.93 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Silent Loop 2 360 73.33 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€154.44 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (€303.90 @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€131.90 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€158.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (€1775.99 @ Cyberport)
Case: NZXT H7 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case (€119.66 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 12 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€163.69 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €3194.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-13 21:28 CET+0100

Functionally the same, but with different equivalents from other brands. 170 euros cheaper too.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€377.94 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€99.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E PG Lightning ATX AM5 Motherboard (€267.69 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory (€121.38 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€108.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (€1775.99 @ Cyberport)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€87.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€184.90 @ Alternate)
Total: €3024.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 01:46 CET+0100

Reasoning for changes:
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360 is just as good as the one you picked, but 55 euros cheaper.
Still X670E if you feel like you need features that are exclusive to it, but went with a cheaper board that is still going to give you what you want.
G.Skill Flare X5 is a less flashy version of G.Skill Trident Z. The memory chips may be of lesser quality, but it's not something I'd expect you to notice unless you plan to do memory overclocking.
The Samsung 990 Pro is just really loving expensive, so swapped it to the WD Black SN770 at the same capacity. The SN770 is still great for a game drive.
Cut the cost of the case by going with the very highly rated Corsair 4000D Airflow, see video for why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYsOmJ9X7Ow
Took savings and invested in a higher capacity, A-tier PSU. You only had an 850W in your parts list, with an estimated wattage of 736W. The general rule of thumb is to go with a PSU of 1.5x the estimated usage since power draw is not a hard number. Your components will draw more power than their advertised TDP if allowed to, and at least with the previous gen GPUs there were transient load spikes of up to 2x the manufacturer stated TDP. Plus if you ever want to add more stuff to your PC you will need additional headroom.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you. You guys have been fantastic. I'm going to go with the G516. Thanks for all the help.

IDK if you're still reading the thread, but in the event you are, the person I know who did the GPU swap bought an RX 7800 XT (MSRP $500-550 depending on board partner model) and then sold the RX 6650 XT that came with the system on eBay for $200 (which is just a bit less than the current going rate from most sellers), thereby subsidizing the 7800 XT to $300-$350. They had an $1100 budget and came in $50-$100 under budget this way. Like SpaceDrake said though, you might keep your eyes peeled for GPU sales as we get closer to BF/CM. The 7800 XT is still pretty new, so I'm not expecting a drop on them, but AMD 6900 XT/6950 XT, 6800 XT, Nvidia 4070/4070 Ti might get some price reductions. If you don't want to futz around with all this though, the 6650 XT is still a respectable card for 1080p high-ultra settings or 1440p low-medium settings.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

I live in the USA.

I do not live near a Microcenter but I have family who does and could have them pick stuff up so kinda.

I'll be using the computer for games and productivity. For games, I'd like to be able to play something like BG3 on 1080 and highest settings without any problems, so nothing crazy. Id like the option to upgrade the graphics card in the future when income allows. For productivity, I'll be doing statistical modeling using R, Python and Stata (multilevel modeling, medium sized imputations, networks modeling in igraph and networkx, noodlin around with weirder stuff) with medium sized data sets (idk up to 5-15 gigs so nothing crazy here too) on Windows. No big ML things that need a specific graphics card to drive them, as far as I know everything is driven by CPU.

Budget is max about $1k but less is uh preferable.

Grad student with limited (zero) grant budget to buy computing resources since it's not something my field/institution has grants for, I have found out, so a dedicated workstation or budget for cloud computing is out. There's also the option of just putting off the gaming and graphics card part for a bit due to budget if the other parts start creeping up in price.

I have no idea if Intel vs AMD matters for my use case and honestly how to best prioritize my somewhat limited resources.

Focused more on your needs for productivity, and allocated your budget as such with no thought for gaming. The CPU has integrated graphics, so you'll at least be able to use the computer without a dGPU until you can afford one. Someone else can tell me where I'm making errors in this build for you, and maybe get you the savings needed for a dGPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($364.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 GAMING X AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA Legend 800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($81.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $895.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 11:46 EST-0500

Deepest apologies, I completely missed that you have reasonable access to Micro Center. They have a 13700K bundle with a better motherboard and the exact same RAM I selected for your build that comes out cheaper than buying the parts individually. Adding an RX 6650 XT puts you $23 over your $1000 budget, but we might be able to wiggle something else down to keep you under that amount. The bundle is $499.99, so I've just set the CPU price to that, and zeroed out the price of the board and RAM that comes with it in this list.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($499.99)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: ADATA Legend 800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($81.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1022.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 12:36 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 14, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

This is why I didn't swoop in with my own overposting reply - given sugar free jazz's needs, I wasn't sure quite what to prioritize. It's a machine that needs to do reasonably serious academic work (so we prob. want a hexa-core and 32GB at minimum), but we also need to game on a fairly serious level, and it also needs to be $1k or less. Setting aside modern GPU price brackets, at some point the compromise has to come from somewhere; computers are cheap these days, but not that cheap.

Anyway, I'll second Nvidian's recommendation - you either need to compromise on GPU, or you need to compromise on CPU. That Microcenter bundle is already a Good Deal, unless you want to compromise more heavily on CPU to try and cram in a better GPU. What you're really looking to do is more realistically a $1200 system, rather than $1000 (you'd want to target a Radeon 7700/7800XT or something similar).

I think based on their post that an RX 6650 XT would be solidly okay. They state they're wanting to play BG3 at highest settings at 1080p, and I believe that the 6650 XT will give them a 60fps experience in that situation. They're not getting super high frame rates or whatever, but I think it fits the bill. Obviously if we start talking about more intensive games, AAA with ray tracing for example, then the GPU is going to fall flat. Ultimately though, just from their post, I believe productivity outweighs the gaming needs for their stated goals. It appears they don't really have the necessary resources available to them for their coursework, and I believe this will provide it to them. Purely personal opinion here, and as such probably worthless, but I think their coursework is more important than gaming.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

I really appreciate the advice! I definitely am more concerned about productivity than the games, so maybe waiting on the graphics card until a future date would be a good move. $1k is doable but a pretty big stretch. How worthwhile is it to wait for black friday deals?

You have nothing to lose, and possibly plenty to gain, by waiting for BF/CM sales. That said, the Micro Center CPU/Motherboard/RAM bundle is not going to become any cheaper. Other components are up in the air on price reduction. Based on your OP I assumed $1000 was your threshold, but if that's too much of a stretch and you need to aim for something cheaper let us know your realistic budget and we'll see what can be figured out.

Edit: Found a different bundle at Micro Center for an Intel Core i9-12900K, Z790 motherboard, and 32GB of DDR5-6000 CL36 RAM for $399.99. Swapped that in and changed to an older, but still fine, PC case to save a little bit more.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle
Again, you can omit the GPU for immediate cost savings since the CPU has basic built-in graphics. Frankly not sure where else to reduce prices without severely cutting into the production performance you need from a potential machine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($399.99)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790-V WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $901.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-14 20:32 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Posting from my new build. Many thanks to the posters that helped me avoid some big pitfalls.

It's all good apart from my mobo not recognising the WD M2 SSD from my old system. It's dated 2019 so I don't know if it's too old to work on my new build. I had it screwed in to the mobo, and the connector seemed to fit OK, but it wasn't registering as a storage device.

Do you know if that WD M.2 SSD is using PCIe or SATA? Do you have any other drives installed, especially 2.5"/3.5" SSDs or HDDS that plug into the SATA connectors?