Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Look upon my ancient workhorse and despair

I use this PC for web browsing, some gaming, and as a Plex server.

I don't particularly game much, just on weekends to blow off steam, and nothing higher than 1080p. I would like to play vaguely currents stuff though.

This is in a first generation Bitfenix Prodigy case, which was my first and pretty much only attempt at a mini-ITX build, and makes this whole setup like 9 years old.

I have replaced the platter HD's, because I I don't trust them for more than 3-5 years. The SSD drive is newer than the rest of the build.

I'm looking at probably doing another ITX build and something pretty quiet. I don't need a big honking tower with lights this is mostly going to sit on my desk and idle.

Suggestions? Budget under $1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I can apparently sell my 9 year old video card for as much used as I paid new.

What in the holy gently caress

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Bouchehog posted:

This guy has shoehorned a 4090 this mATX build based on a Lian Li O11 Air Mini ATX, i7-13700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F build and it looks pretty sweet, albeit rather pricey. The ROG STRIX Z690-F has three PCIE expansion slots, so I could presumably add a 10gb card as well if I so wished.

Thoughts on that build?

lol the 4000 series cards are jus hilariously big and that side by side with the 3000 series really drives it home

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Are Antecs still good power supplies? I'm like a decade out of building a PC.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I think my (admittedly 10 year old) Radeon HD 7850 is dying.

Is there any comparable video card that isn't 300 dollars or am I going to build a new PC?

I don't want to drop $1k on a new PC build right now, and I'd probably have to go from the PSU up if I did.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Helping a friend build for a teenager:

• What country are you in? USA
  • Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
  • What are you using the system for? Highschool and Gaming
  • What's your budget? Around $1k if possible
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Not 100% sure but assuming 1080p
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A

Additional needs are:
- 4TB SSD space
- Someone compact and portable(small to mid size case)
- red and black "stealthy" aesthetic a plus. There's a billion cases out there I don't know what to do with this one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

Helping a friend build for a teenager:

• What are you using the system for? Highschool and Gaming
  • What's your budget? Around $1k if possible
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Not 100% sure but assuming 1080p
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A

Additional needs are:
- 4TB SSD space
- Someone compact and portable(small to mid size case)
- red and black "stealthy" aesthetic a plus. There's a billion cases out there I don't know what to do with this one.

I appreciate the suggestions, but it turns out that my information was completely wrong. The teen in question needs a portable PC above anything including budget(in reason)and aesthetics. It needs to be transported between family locations.

A pre-built is actually preferred. This might not be the right thread for it.

The family is just having trouble finding any that have both the storage and the graphics card.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah this kid needs a laptop, not a desktop. Take MarcusSA's advice here.

Oh I agree but it's not up to me

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Asking my previous question got me thinking about my current desktop.

Jaxyon posted:

Look upon my ancient workhorse and despair

I use this PC for web browsing, some gaming, and as a Plex server.

I don't particularly game much, just on weekends to blow off steam, and nothing higher than 1080p. I would like to play vaguely currents stuff though.

This is in a first generation Bitfenix Prodigy case, which was my first and pretty much only attempt at a mini-ITX build, and makes this whole setup like 9 years old.

I have replaced the platter HD's, because I I don't trust them for more than 3-5 years. The SSD drive is newer than the rest of the build.

I'm looking at probably doing another ITX build and something pretty quiet. I don't need a big honking tower with lights this is mostly going to sit on my desk and idle.

Suggestions? Budget under $1000

So my computer is now 12 years old. It's honestly a miracle that the thing has run 24/7 for that time and not had a major component failure.

The quoted post is 3 years old. But needs haven't changed, though hopefully graphics cards are a bit more reasonable than in 2021, if you don't need latest gen.

• What are you using the system for? Web, some gaming(nothing super current I have like 7 years of games this thing won't really play to catch up on), Plex server
  • What's your budget? under $1000 and I have storage taken care of as it's a Plex server.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p is fine for me

So the big question, and I guess I can anticipate the answer, is it cheaper to build in my decade old ITX case, or just start fresh with something moderately sized in mATX or ATX? I like my Prodigy but I can understand if a lot has changed in over a decade of PC components.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The original Prodigy is indeed very dated. Modern ITX cases are both more compact than the Prodigy and support larger GPUs while also offering better airflow/cooling potential, but in exchange, they support fewer/no 3.5" drives. Also, I'm going to argue that you don't have storage taken care of since your boot drive is still just a SATA drive, and we now strongly prefer NVME SSDs as our boot drives. They are significantly faster than SATA SSDs (over 10x faster for the fastest ones).

That's fair, and I didn't know that about NVME's. The other 3.5" drive is legacy, I should probably get rid of it, while the 8TB Red is my main storage

quote:

If you do want to still build in the Prodigy, I'd warn against putting anything that uses too much power in there since it's a low-airflow case. Also, the choice in GPU will depend on whether you have both front drive cages installed or just the basement one (next to the PSU). If you're using both drive cages, then you'll need a single-fan GPU, and for some reason those come at a price premium despite being cheaper to make than their larger counterparts (I guess because they're lower-volume products). If you aren't using that upper drive cage, then you can fit GPUs up to 310mm long, which is enough for most midrange GPUs. I'd probably recommend a GPU somewhere in the RTX 4060 range. That card can run anything you want at 1080p, and it uses only 110W - 120W, making it suitable for a low-airflow case (modern AMD cards produce a lot more heat). And for CPU, I'd go with AMD over Intel for the same reason: their vastly better power efficiency.

Thank you for the detailed response, I didn't expect so much knowledge on that case.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

orcane posted:

SFF 2012 Edition

:eyepop:

Yeah it's got handles I never used and it's the size of a small ATX tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TBH, upon further reflection, I think you should just grab this combo from Micro Center, maybe change the CPU cooler to this, keep everything else the same and throw it all in something like a Fractal Design Pop Air. That's a compact full-ATX tower that can hold your drives, will be easier to build in, will run quieter and cooler, and won't even be much bigger than your current case when accounting for the protrusions (35L vs 45L, apparently). Plus it'll be cheaper overall, and you get the functionality of a full ATX motherboard.

Thank you again for the recs

Edit: Out of curiosity, is the built in graphics of the Ryzen these days better than the graphics card I have(Radeon HD 7850)? Still planning on buying a discrete card but I'm curious how far onboard has come.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 23, 2024