Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How does one accomplish a bios update that is incompatible with your cpu?

What I mean is that I currently have a ryzen 5 2600x in an Asrock AB350M Pro4 board. It need a bios update to accept the ryzen 5 5600 that I just bought.

Do I update the bios before I install the new chip? I assume once I do that the mobo will no longer boot on the 2600x

Or do I somehow update it after the 5600 is installed? I can’t imagine how I’d do that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a 40% keyboard in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Me, taking the online typing speed test for the 90th time today, struggling under the weight of all of the keys included with a full size keyboard

:negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please.

It’s Mice Akimbo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How does one accomplish a bios update that is incompatible with your cpu?

What I mean is that I currently have a ryzen 5 2600x in an Asrock AB350M Pro4 board. It need a bios update to accept the ryzen 5 5600 that I just bought.

Do I update the bios before I install the new chip? I assume once I do that the mobo will no longer boot on the 2600x

Or do I somehow update it after the 5600 is installed? I can’t imagine how I’d do that though

Welp. Might have borked it

quote:

I currently have an AB350M Pro 4 with a Ryzen 5 2600x installed. I purchased a R5 5600 to replace it. I was on BIOS 4.9. I downloaded the 7.0 Bridge update and installed it.

My machine now boots to the ASROCK splash screen, but it will not go into BIOS setup. It just hangs when I try.

I am able to press F11 to get to the boot menu, but my hard drive is no longer bootable, and the button to go into setup just results in a hang again.

Pressing F6 does absolutely nothing

Only AFTER I got in a jam did I discover a post that says I should have gone 4.9->5.5->5.9->7.0->7.2

Things I've done:

I reset the BIOS with the jumper

I removed all but one stick of RAM, which is currently installed in slot 4 (B2)

Any thoughts? I pulled the power cord and the BIOS battery this morning before I left for work as a last ditch effort, and just ordered a new B550 motherboard on amazon, because I think this thing is done for, but if anyone has any ideas I'm happy to cancel my order

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d skip laptops and desktops and go for something easily stackable like the Lenovo M72e Tiny.

If cost is a concern they can be had with older 4th gen i5’s and the like which will give you much more than core2duo performance with equal or better power consumption and thermals, meaning you can probably buy fewer of them.

I’ve run a tower of these before and they’re cool and quiet all things considered.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 7, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can often pick up older servers for cheap locally in my experience because once they're pulled from production their value sort of tanks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I cant answer your question about clustering efficiency, because I've never run a cluster, BUT, if you just need CPU compute, you could go back to the server idea.

Something like a Dell T420 :catdrugs:, a used, older server that you can get for pretty cheap usually, can be specced with things like Dual Xeon E5-2420 V2's. Those have 6 cores each, 12 total and 24 threads. You could run 12 separate two-thread VM's on there no sweat (well, 11 if you dont overprovision).

Plus with the server, you'll get iDRAC which will let you monitor your power consumption, reboot, power on/off, manage the hypervisor directly, and generally do hands-off maintenance easily.

Worth thinking about if these dont HAVE to be discrete PC's

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are more complex to work with than desktops, but they're basically the same and better for your purpose, I'd imagine.

1) They will have RAID cards, that by default will want to put all disks into a RAID array, this may or may not be good for what you want to do :iiam:
2) They will nearly always require ECC RAM. So if you go buy an older server, dont assume that you can just stick some ram from your pile of DDR3 Desktop RAM into it. Thankfully older RAM isnt super expensive.
3) Most servers will come with some form of LOM (Lights out Management). This is a management module that is entirely logically separate from the server and is used to remotely manage it, Dells is called iDRAC, HP's is called iLO. This is very nice to have because it allows you to work with the server as if you were sitting in front of it, remotely. The LOM will give you a video feed through a reboot, allow you to power on from a power off state, allow you to see a crashed virtual machine, and a lot of things that remote desktop just cant do. in general they also let you monitor and manage your power consumption. Dells iDRAC I know lets you set a wattage cap for the server that it wont go beyond. This is nice if you're trying not to drive up your power costs, I'm sure HP's iLO has something similar
4) Servers will mostly use SAS drives, but SATA drives will work in SAS enclosures, since SATA is a subset of SAS. It does not work the other way though, you cant use SAS in a SATA enclosure

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 7, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally got my new motherboard (GIGABYTE B550M DS3H AC), R5 5600 and ram installed. However, I'm a bit confused on the ram speed part. My previous build had the luxury of the ram just running at the correct speed right out of the box. This isnt the case with the current one.

Here is my current setup, 2x 4gb sticks @ 3200 and 2x 8GB sticks at 3200

My BIOS says that the Teamgroup RAM (Which it says are in DDR4_A1 and DDR4_B1) are running at 2400MHZ, and that the G.Skill (in slots DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2) are at 2133MHZ.

I am not really familiar with XMP, is this what I want to turn on to get everything running at the right speed? What is the right way to go about this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CoolCab posted:

oh what fixed it out of curiosity?

so generally with mixed kits you get the lowest common denominator with XMP, it will support the tightest timings of the slowest stick. turn it on and see what happens imo.

I dont think it is fixed, since the BIOS reports them running at different speeds, Task Manager reports that the memory is running at 2133mhz. Both sets, despite being mixed brands, are DDR4 3200, so they should be able to hit that, and that should be the lowest common denominator, if I'm understanding

I'm guessing I should turn on XMP?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make an ultra low-profile right-angle PCI Express extension cable? I have a 3070ti installed in a mini atx board and the cooler covers the next two pci express slots, which is all the motherboard has. I'd like to install a 10GB ethernet card in there, but I cant do it without some sort of PCI express extension, but it has to be able to fit underneath the cooler on the GPU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats a good option for a motherboard that supports bifurcation so that I can run a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B29JYL84

I need to wipe a whole bunch of M.2 NVME's, and every PC I currently have both does not support bifurcation, and only has one or two M.2 slots. I figure two or three of those 4x boards, and I should be able to get through it quickly.

AMD/Intel doesnt matter, and this does not need to be built with gaming in mind, or with more than 8/16GB of RAM in mind, since the wiping software is pretty light on the requirements side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a hostile work environment