Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Trying to help a nephew in law. He has $500. Mom wasn't mad about the price.Parents are willing to help. He's 17 and plays HOI... Would it be better to bump up to a 7000 series CPU. Does it make sense to save money on an even lesser GPU? Any other tweaks?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fnZG28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
In my mind I'm trying to make most of the system solid, and lightly upgradable (used 5800x3D down the road? More RAM, add'l nvme slot) while relegating the GPU to being sufficient and upgradable. Seems it would push the price too far to enter DDR 5 world.

Edit: no microcenter

6600XT and stock cooler does seem smart.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 25, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Not going to dive into the whole can of worms on mobile, but I hope those are nvme ssds.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Joey_Redd posted:

So stupid question but, I am looking to build a new main PC, something to use for gaming but also work in my home office. That being said for my gaming setup I want to run dual GPUs an RTX nvidia GPU and then something a bit on the lower end solely something that can output low resolution like 240p for use with my Ikegami monitor, but simultaneously I would like that graphics card to be able to handle emulation at least up until the Wii. I guess my question is what is the latest made graphics card that would be able to output a low resolution, and what type of motherboard would be best for a configuration like this?

lol

edit: i take back my lol, i misunderstood the question.

It might be best to limit your special low res outputs to a small compact, cheap system that you know is compatible with such a thing. I don't even know what an Ikegami monitor is!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
DVD? HDD? Drop em. Can get an enclosure for the HDD, and get a USB dvd burner for 20 bucks if needed

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
HDD's make noise, and DVD's are obsolete.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've got a Ryzen 3600 in perfect working order that I received for free from a generous goon. I'll keep the chain going and pass it along to someone if you are willing to pay shipping costs from 02116 (or local pickup!). Getting rid of it because I just finally dropped in the 5600X3D I bought back in November. It doesn't have a cooler and will not ship in the original box - it'll ship in the plastic insert from the 5600X3D in a well padded envelope. Hit me up on PMs if you want it.

I would obviously prefer if this is for you or a friend's use rather than just buying it to resell.

My cousin has a 2600x from me already, I'll pass him this for sure, or maybe a nephew in law. I'm a big AM4 pass arounder. I have PM's, too.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why do you want to keep that stuff? The power supply should be replaced, and newer cases have better designs, generally.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Interesting intentions, but what are the reasons. Are you really doing an extensive motherboard swap for faster SSD's? What's your usage scenario?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My buddy, for some inexplicable reason wants to buy a 200 dollar mini pc to run Reaper. He has a couple year old gaming laptop that he also doesn't want to use for unknowable reasons. I'm sure it has a faster CPU than this: https://cybergeekpc.com/products/cybergeek-mini-pc-nano-a1-intel-n100-16gb-ram-windows-11-pro?variant=44160562626807 or this: https://www.acemagic.com/products/acemagic-s1-12th-alder-laker-n95-mini-pc

He wants a little thing because it's easier to tuck away?! I dunno.

Any recommendations around that budget that might be a better fit for software like Reaper?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Racing Stripe posted:

Okay, sounds like that will work out fine. Thanks.

Here's another question about the 5800X3D. I understand the AMD CPUs draw less power (and produce less heat) than comparable Intel CPUs. I have a Noctua NH-D9L lying around that I bought before doing any real research for my first build and was warned against using with a 12600K. I understand it's not ideal because the design includes a lot of compromises to fit a SFF build. But, I have it, and I'm trying to do a reduce + reuse thing as much as possible with this build. Do y'all think it will do okay on a 5800X3D in a case with a 6700XT and decent airflow?

The CPU will be fine. If you do hate the performance (noise), you can replace it down the line though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Convinced my buddy not to be future e-waste AIO mini PC (although the suggestion of that $300 AMD one was pretty compelling.

LRADIKAL posted:

My buddy, for some inexplicable reason wants to buy a 200 dollar mini pc to run Reaper. He has a couple year old gaming laptop that he also doesn't want to use for unknowable reasons. I'm sure it has a faster CPU than this: https://cybergeekpc.com/products/cybergeek-mini-pc-nano-a1-intel-n100-16gb-ram-windows-11-pro?variant=44160562626807 or this: https://www.acemagic.com/products/acemagic-s1-12th-alder-laker-n95-mini-pc

He wants a little thing because it's easier to tuck away?! I dunno.

Any recommendations around that budget that might be a better fit for software like Reaper?

Here's the build. The purchased items are things I have sitting around (thanks in part to friends and goons). I convinced him that he should get something with an upgrade path, while trying to stay under 400. The 16GB of RAM is weird, but it opens the door for an easy upgrade and dual channel isn't a super huge deal, mostly.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/ac R2.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel RGB 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: SAMA IM01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($90.00)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: AMD Wraith Spire Socket AM4 4-Pin Connector CPU Cooler Aluminum Heatsink & 3.81-Inch Fan (Purchased For $15.99)
Custom: Grey Market Windows ($20.00)
Total: $412.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-04 11:53 EST-0500

Since he's using it primarily for audio type stuff, I think I have enough fans and inline resistors that I can tune it for quiet performance. If the 1060 is noisy, I'll swap it with a water cooled 1070 I have in my plex server, and the 1060 will swap into that with the same capabilities for the purpose.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 4, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and changed the CPU -- there will be relatively little video editing unless I pull of a sick ollie from a park bench in a game or something. Mostly 30 second clips where I add fart noises. Switching CPUs knocked a little off the price so made sense to me. I also selected compatible RAM (thanks for catching that wash bucket).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($362.25 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($185.01 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: *Asus PRIME X670-P ATX AM5 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-7200 CL34 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($157.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI RTX 4090 GAMING SLIM 24G GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1799.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000D RGB AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $3178.20
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-18 14:44 EST-0500

Any other red flags?

The amount you are spending on the cooler and case is way higher than I would do unless I'm building something for a rich guy who insists on those particular parts. The PSU is also slight overkill, but we're talking about 20 dollars, so i love it's totally good to go.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks again to you guys for catching the errors. Here's the latest iteration of my build, I went with the Thermalright Assassin and the 6000mts memory (went with RBG, why not, never had that before...). I also swapped out the case for a cheaper one.

That's what I'm afraid of...I'm willing to splurge a little this time (never have before), but I'm not interested in getting more expensive parts just for the status or whatever. I just want to max out my games!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($368.81 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Asus PRIME X670-P ATX AM5 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI RTX 4090 GAMING SLIM 24G GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1799.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $2877.65
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-19 18:44 EST-0500

Did I screw anything up this time? Thanks again!! So far this thread has knocked ~$500 off! And also fixed some incompatibilities too :v:

I should have mentioned this earlier, but other thoughts can be stuff like "Do I want to to be silent while doing desktop/web browsing tasks? Do I want it to be more pleasant sounding while gaming? Do I actually always wear over ear headphones that block sound? Do I want a clear glass case so I can see the RGB inside? Do I want a smaller computer or a bigger case? Do I have a color theme for cables? Do I want extra case fans for aesthetic reasons?" Look at existing builds of computers and take inspiration if you want to get into the weeds. If you are like "make gaming work", then this computer is done and ready to go.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I straight up don't use the start menu except to take text input after i hit the windows key. It also has a download link and a power button. Everything else is on my desktop or system tray. Who cares? Start menu could have been good, but I don't need it after all. Fancy stuff goes through command prompt or maybe a powershell script.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I talked my buddy out of buying a little $200 dollar mini PC to learn Reaper (and play games, etc) and instead had a couple of donated to me parts that I donated to him. A Ryzen 3600 from a goon, a GTX 1060, and a Ryzen OEM cooler. I ordered the other bits and he paid me back. The SAMA case is pretty neat, although the manual is super worthless. Took me a minute to open it up, and also some of the pictures show the power cable mounted on the chassis, but this one has a pig tail, which is odd.

This thing is so cheaply up gradable in the future when he can snag and X3D for it and/or a new GPU. I donated some cash to double his ram to 32, cause why not?! I feel a bit bad that I don't have any nice fans for him, but I got them under control. System runs super stable, although the CPU cooler is predictably annoying sounding. (Also, yes, it's "upside down")

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M/ac R2.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel RGB 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $361.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-26 00:45 EST-0500

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So that not everyone has to click through the link to the video. That graphic is showing Hardware Unboxed's judgements between the image quality of DLSS Performance, Quality, and Native resolution are.

Also, for quick reference, here's the resolutions that 4K up-samples from at the various levels.

Quality: 2560x1440p

Balance: 2227x1253p

Performance: 1920x1080p

Ultra Perf: 1280x720p

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Spend the extra 10 bucks and be done with it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You're not wrong. I generally ignore the list myself. Clocking memory down a few hundred mhz is worth it to me compared to buying off a QVL list. The 3600mhz memory wasn't supported on my 2600x, however when I dropped in. 5800x3D it ran at xmp speed. I would recommend the QVL tested to a determined diy noob, but for me, whatever, I'll adjust it

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 8, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe the cooler but not worth your time to make sure you have, or to order the correct bracket for a modern motherboard.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gZsKgB

Sketching in a build for a friend of mine. I haven't done deep dives on it yet as he's waiting for tax season to put something together. he's somewhat budget flexible, any big wins going down or up in cost? My build philosophy lately with the way prices are is to go big on CPU/Memory and leave the door open for a graphics upgrade down the line.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($356.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M-H/M.2+ Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 309 Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM3 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: AMD Wraith Spire Socket AM4 4-Pin Connector CPU Cooler Aluminum Heatsink & 3.81-Inch Fan (Purchased For $15.99)
Total: $1190.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-16 12:21 EDT-0400

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Get a big case.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yes, the single 4TB is probably more expensive. 2x2TB you have to deal with having two drives, which might be zero effort or some. Also, double the chance of a storage failure. I usually buy what I need at a kind of high price, then a couple years later get a newer, cheaper bigger faster drive and make the older one a secondary.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

I've got two fried PSU-to-wall outlet cables in a week. One cable dying is whatever, two is sus as hell.

The first fried cable was connected to a surge protector strip, I did notice the light was dimmer than it should be so I replaced it.

However, the second cable was directly connected to the same wall outlet and I have confirmed the computer won't power on even if it's using a different outlet.

The computer boots fine with a third new-from-the-cable-box cable but I'm not sure I should be turning it on? Does anyone have an intuition if it's the wall outlet or my PSU frying things or how to check? Im not sure how a wall cable even gets fried.

Call an electrician.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

Counterpoint, small heatsinks are cool looking and the fins get pretty hot so it does help dissipate heat.

Im using these

NVMe Heatsinks for M.2 2280mm SSD
https://a.co/d/6zySUdb

"it does help dissipate heat" ... however it is unnecessary unless you have a high intensity use case which does not include loading game levels.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

Thanks all, I'm hitting buy. Went with the heatsink version since at worst its a waste of $20 and maybe it does something useful.

it is, and it doesn't.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Performance and visual both come from the same type of hardware power. It's up to you to adjust the sliders to your preferences.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
30 dollar CPU cooler, 40 dollar case fans lol

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

unl33t posted:

Thanks, I'll check those out. I have an external drive right now and it drives me nuts having to fiddle with loading and unloading the disks, as well as losing the desk space.

Just double stick tape it to your case.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why do you want to buy such a thing anyway?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/chipsets/am4.html

Tell us exactly what he has on all fronts. It's pretty hard to offer useful advice on a 400 dollar budget and unknown hardware.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't see that being claimed there? What benchmark are you basing that on?

Also who the hell is CPU monkey?

https://gamersnexus.net/cpus/new-amd-ryzen-7-5700x3d-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-5800x3d-more#5700x3d-game-benchmarks

While the 7800x3D doesn't sweep the benchmarks, you can easily make the argument that it is the best gaming CPU.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

quote:

Which CPU is best suited for computer games? We'll give you the answer in our up-to-date leaderboard. With a gaming CPU, the clock frequency, the intermediate memory (cache) and of course the number of CPU cores and the CPU architecture are particularly important. We tested the following processors in the Geekbench 5 multi-core benchmark, but the popularity of each processor is also included in this list.

Let me translate: "We used a non gaming benchmark then arbitrarily shuffled those results."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's a very expensive motherboard. Are you buying it for needed features?