Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Great job on the op dates.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Hardware Comparison Tools

The thread tends to default to Gamer’s Nexus for direct comparison benchmarks (and for good reason). Their testing is highly controlled (with publicly documented methodology), accurate, free of basis, and best of all goes to unnecessary lengths to call out slimy manufacturers (they’re directly responsible for a Consumer Product Safety Commission recall for NZXT cases causing fires). They test everything from CPUs & GPUs to cases, cooling solutions, and other fun stuff.

Basis should be bias, right?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

22. Do hard disks have any place in a modern computer?

If you need an abundance of storage on the cheap, multi-Terabyte HDDs can be had for half the cost of an SSD or less, however the performance gap between them is, without hyperbole, the biggest advance in home computer performance in a decade (or more). If you’re not backing up complete collections of perfectly legitimate Blu-Rays, you’re better served getting as much SSD storage as you can afford and deleting a few games if necessary.

Surprise!! Crypto & covid messed this market up too. It was around $14-$15 per tb and now good luck finding anything near those prices because nothing has been on sale lately.

quote:

Mugen 5
Cooler benchmarks frequently happen with no side panel and this results in worse results for this cooler in particular unless you run 2x fans on it. With the side panel on it performs identically to the NHD15 and Fuma 2 with zen2 and zen3 CPUs.

It does have a slightly worse fan than the more expensive fuma 2 in terms of noise level if you let it run at max speeds. The trick here is you don't have to run it at max speed and the cooler performs real well even at low RPM. Arguably it's even more efficient at low rpm than some other designs, but all of the coolers in this category are so close with the newer CPUs that you should really just decide on price & aesthetic.

Another cooler that's even cheaper and pretty good is the arctic freezer 34 esports duo. These were a way better deal at $36 than the current $47 price point, but the performance is comparable to the fuma2 at the cost of some noise.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Beach Party posted:

Been playing Path of Exile lately and it's been constantly freezing on me for a second or two whenever a ton of mobs spawn then runs fine until more mobs spawn. When looking at the graph chart in the top right corner it show CPU usage spike during that time before normalizing. That got me thinking I might need to look into a new computer.

I currently have the following:
i5-4670k haswell at 3.4GHz cpu
MSI Z87m-643 1150 motherboard
2x 8GB DDR3 1333 Ripsaw RAM
GTX 1660 Super GPU.

Could I get away with getting a Ryzen 5 5600x (280ish dollars), ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 (Ryzen 5000, 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (130ish dollars), and some random 16gig DDR 4 memory and be good with just moving over the 1660 Super?

I would like to play PoE, diablo 4, and maybe some MMOs whenever they come out like New World, Ashes of Creation, or the new expansion for GW2.. without struggling. I currently have a 2k monitor but have been playing games at 1080p if that matters.
What kind of hard drive do you have?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone help me source an SSD for a Playstation 5?

Requirements:

I was going to just throw a 1TB Western Digital Black drive on there, but the heatsink requirements are a bit uncertain for me, and also I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth the PS5 has for reading from the drive, so I didn't want to over-spec the SSD.
I've heard there are heatsink compat issues. sn750 won't be overkill. If you were going 2tb+ I'd recommend a different drive to save money, but at 1tb sn750 is fairly affordable if you get it on sale.

I'd google "reddit ps5 sn750 heatsink" or something similar to see what people who have tried it are saying.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Butterfly Valley posted:

As someone who only relatively recently got interested in PC building again I have no idea why there's even the concept of tribalism in the hobby. They're electronic parts, not sports teams, and there's numerous data available to make objective judgments about the quality of a certain product.
A decent amount of it is because AMD CPUs were not worth buying for nearly a decade. They kept getting slaughtered by Intel by any reasonable metric.

It's only the past two generations, zen2/zen3 (3000/5000 series) that they've made a ridiculous comeback. It's great for consumers overall because Intel can't sandbag, and it's great for consumers because AMD were willing to do some pretty pro-consumer stuff. Although they seem more than willing to not take a pro-consumer approach now that they're arguably leading the market.

The GPU market has generally been far more complicated and specific to individual needs & budget.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 24, 2021