Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Microcenter near me has the i9-10850K for $300... would that be a good idea to use in an ITX build? If so, would it be wise to air cool it as well? [edit] Building PC for someone either in a Meshlicious or Cougar QBX, still haven't decided yet.

[edit] Adding, they have a 3060 Ti on deck, and RAM will be ported over from their old system. Gaming on 1440p 144Hz displays. They also run a bunch of sneaker bots, so unsure how that factors in. I guess that's more RAM related; they have a 3200MHz 64GB kit in use right now, and I'll be bringing that over into the new build.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

They're one of those sneaker heads that always needs those rare drops or whatever. They're crazy, lol. Always buying two pairs, one to keep in box the other to wear. I don't get it, personally.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Would a Ryzen 7 2700X with an RTX 3060 12GB card be ok for at least 1440p60 gaming in most current titles?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cool thanks! Upcoming games that will likely be played are Back 4 Blood, Aliens Fireteam, and Overwatch 2. I know how super optimized OW's engine was, so hopefully OW2 will be the same and play well on a 2700X/3060 setup at 1440p.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The 3060 is probably your best bet if you can get one/can save up while you wait for it to be available.

Generally the advice is to buy the best GPU you can, to a point (I’m looking at you 3090). The 3060 is a great card and much better than the 2060 at MSRP for the most part.

If given the option of getting either an MSI 3060 Ventus 3X OC or a Gigabyte 3060 Gaming OC, which would be the better buy if price difference between them is negligible?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Performance difference is going to be negligible too. I'd choose based on size and aesthetics and availability rather than worrying about a specific model atm.

Iirc you have an itx case and those are both unnecessarily huge 3 fan 3060s, so make sure that they'll fit or leave you with enough room for the rest of your build.

Sounds good! My ITX case is on the larger size (Lian-Li TU150), so both cards would be able to fit ok. The MSI is about 4mm under the max clearance, but the Gigabyte clears it no problem. I was leaning more towards the Gigabyte card anyways; it has RGB :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Doing a new build for another friend of mine who managed to snag a 5800X at a decent price. They also secured a kit of 2x32GB of DDR4 3600 RAM (lol) and an MSI 3060 Ti GPU. Here's the rest of the build I put together for them: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($137.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205M MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $331.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-05 17:11 EDT-0400

I have leftover P14 redux fans from an older build that I'm giving them. Everything else looks good? The Fuma 2 should be good enough for a 5800X inside that Lian Li case, right? I plan on moving the included Lian Li fans as the top exhaust, put my old 140mm Noctua Redux fans as intake, and then another 120mm Noctua redux as the rear exhaust. Don't plan on overclocking any. I'm also reading up on 1TB NVMe drives atm, and am undecided on what to recommend currently. PC will be gaming on 1440p 144Hz G-Sync compatible display.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would be moderately worried about that case's airflow situation, but it might be fine. The front panel has stifled airflow, with air having to make a 90 degree turn to enter the case from those side vents (something air generally doesn't like to do). It's probably fine as long as you won't be slamming the CPU too hard for extended periods of time, but if you are expecting heavy workloads, have your friend consider a case with a mesh front panel instead, like https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Gaming-Computer-CA-1J4-00S1WN-01/dp/B079G3TNDM/

Would the Fuma 2 fit ok in that? The Versa H18 product page says max clearance for CPU cooler height is 155, which I think the Fuma is. Would the Fuma 2 be pressed up right against the glass side panel in that case? Lol.

[edit] Just read a couple builds using that case and a Fuma 2 and there's about 3mm of clearance between the glass side panel and the cooler. Nice.

[edit 2] Actually, dang, I'm going to my friends place this weekend to do the build since that's when we're both free and looks like that case at that price won't arrive until July 13th at the earliest. :rip: I'm reading more about the Lian Li 205M and looks like there's a little over an inch of space in the gap between where the fans mount and the front panel. Should be ok, right? Especially with 2x140mm fans up front?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 5, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Whatever size WD SN550 they can afford

I ended up ordering an Inland Premium 1TB drive for them based on an SSD thread recommendation. Both it and the SN550 were priced the same, and apparently the Inland drive is on par with the SK Hynix Gold NVMe drive, it just runs hotter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone posted:

Doing a new build for another friend of mine who managed to snag a 5800X at a decent price. They also secured a kit of 2x32GB of DDR4 3600 RAM (lol) and an MSI 3060 Ti GPU. Here's the rest of the build I put together for them: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($137.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205M MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $331.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-05 17:11 EDT-0400

I have leftover P14 redux fans from an older build that I'm giving them. Everything else looks good? The Fuma 2 should be good enough for a 5800X inside that Lian Li case, right? I plan on moving the included Lian Li fans as the top exhaust, put my old 140mm Noctua Redux fans as intake, and then another 120mm Noctua redux as the rear exhaust. Don't plan on overclocking any. I'm also reading up on 1TB NVMe drives atm, and am undecided on what to recommend currently. PC will be gaming on 1440p 144Hz G-Sync compatible display.

Built this PC yesterday. Just wanted to note that the Lian-Li 205M case was a pleasure to work in, and temps are great—the 5800X with a Fuma 2 under sustained load stays at around ~65C with spikes into 75C. If I ever go back to mATX/mffpc builds, the 205M is probably the case I'd use for my own build.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I spent all of 2020 gaming on a B-Stock 1660 Ti I got for $150 shipped before the GPU apocalypse happened, and it has served me well. Can vouch for it; if you can find a 1660 Ti at a reasonable price, it's a stellar 1080p card.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hiraeth posted:

Coming back with sort of a long-winded update to a post I made in the previous thread a couple of months back. Long story short is that back in May my friend convinced me to buy parts for a PC that I really was unsure of to begin with (Mostly because basically all of the parts were bought used and from at least three or more years ago – I got a Ryzen 2600 despite the fact that it's not 2018 anymore) despite them telling me that it was a great deal. Well, that "great deal" ended up falling through so I yet again have plans to upgrade this six-year old Dell with hardware manufactured seven years ago – none of it was considered high end even back then

Though I've been kinda giving a lot of thought recently and I'm honestly wondering if it's even worth building a PC given my use cases. For reference: I own a really lame 1440x900 monitor and I honestly don't have any plans of replacing it anytime soon. I want to run pretty much whatever current games I can think of, but I'm totally okay with running them at 40-ish FPS, not even 60+. Aside from that, if I got a new PC I'd pretty much use it almost exclusively as a YouTube box (Web-surfing and sub-HD Discord streaming without the app crashing) but sometimes for light emulation (Mostly N64 for ROM hacks and Dolphin for online multiplayer). Ideally I wouldn't be looking to spend much more than $670 to $700

Not sure if I'm a dumbass for asking for help on making a "PC or console" decision in the PC building megathread, but what do ya think? Would it be more worth it to get a used PS4 and/or PS5 while biting the bullet and getting a laptop or a used prebuilt with a slightly more recent gen CPU/MOBO (Currently I'm running a Haswell Refresh i3) on the side for the few PC exclusives that I'm interested in, or can I actually get away with a "budget build" for pretty much any game? I'm leaning towards gambling with the latter, honestly. Paying full price for pretty much every game and being basically forced to use a Sony/Microsoft controller seem like huge turn-offs. But lemme know what you all think would make more sense

Unironically suggesting you try real hard to get a Steam Deck when they become available.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, the 1660 Ti (1070) is absolutely a capable 1080p60 card, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hiraeth posted:

Honestly still wondering if the newer Zen3 APUs would work for me at a $700 CDN price point. But if you don't think that's the way to go, I suppose my only other option would be to live with this i3 4150/GTX 750 combo that can't run anything made after late 2015 for another six to twelve months until the market isn't completely hosed – or until the power supply fries and takes something with it

If you want to do a penny pinch salvage build like I did last year for an old rig I had, peruse SA-Mart and find a goon who can sell you a Haswell-based i7 for cheap (I managed to pick up an i7-4770 and 16GB of RAM for $80 from a goon last year) and a used 970 or something. You can try your luck at EVGA's B-Stock to nab a GTX 1660 Super or something equivalent for sub ~$200 (I got lucky before the GPU Apocalypse and scored a B-Stock 1660 Ti for ~$150). EVGA B-Stock recently had 1080 Ti cards for $250.

[edit] Also, Game Pass is insane value. Get it, even if just for PC.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 29, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My old rear end motherboard has a TPM header (MSI H81I). So to install Windows 11, I can just purchase a TPM and drop it in? Does it matter what brand?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Your CPU will not be compatible with Windows 11, and if you use a workaround to install it then MS will lock you out of using windows update, so I'd advise against this.

I thought CPU compatibility was dictated by whether or not the CPU had firmware-based TPM? Is that not true? That's why I was asking if dropping a TPM onto my motherboard would allow me to install.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No, Microsoft is cutting off people with older CPUs regardless of whether they have TPM modules or not, using reliability metrics as their justification.

Oh boo Microsoft, booooo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Before anyone buys! Lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZGmWZyhac

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Would I see any noticeble difference in performance between two DDR4 3200 RAM kits from the same OEM that have 16-18-18-38 and 16-20-20-40 timings respectively? It's this kit in particular https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PJNVWNZ/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&smid=AWD7GDDT7Q2ZT&th=1

The difference in price between the two is roughly $7 or so. The RAM would be paired with an i5 12400 on a B660 motherboard should that matter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CoolCab posted:

lol i saw this in the hardware questions thread and didn't realize you got skipped, apologies. honestly my expectation is those performances would be imperceptibly similar and the main relevance would be if you wanted to take them further, i would expect the first kit to maaaaaaaybe have slightly more performance headroom due to possibly be a higher tier component or via binning. probably not though. ram speed is less relevant on intel than ryzen (ryzen uses the infinity fabric to influence boost behaviour which is bound by memory speed, iirc) so the difference on an intel board is even smaller.

Thank you! I went with the kit that was $7 cheaper since this is a tightly budgeted mid-tier build that won't be overclocking outside of setting the XMP profile. Hopefully I don't run into any issues getting the XMP profile to run the RAM at 3200 stable, despite not being on the motherboard QVL :ohdear:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm getting this ITX board to use with an i5 12400 — https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162057 — Should be ok yeah? The rear IO is pretty sparse, but I don't mind. The main factors of purchase were it has a front IO connector for USB-C that I can make use of with my case, and it's the cheapest ITX LGA1700 ITX board I could find, lol. On backorder, though I can wait.

As an aside, I don't plan on moving up from the 12400 for some time—I've been on Haswell gen since 2013ish; went from i3 4330 to an i5 4570 and am currently using an i7 4770 I bought from a goon back in early 2020. This will be my first big CPU generation upgrade for my own PC in quite some time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Kenosha Kid posted:

That's exactly what I did and it's been working great. The cpu performance isn't limited or anything and the perf/$ is excellent. You might want to consider asrock's h670 itx board as well. A little more expensive but more/faster io and another m.2 slot might be nice in a few years. Personally, I only went with the b660 because it was in stock first.

Sweet, good to know! I did look at the H670 ITX board, but ~$70 extra is a bit steep for my budget. I don't see myself upgrading to an NVMe drive any time soon either; still using my 500GB WD Blue SATA drive and haven't really seen a need to expand or upgrade from it just yet (I only have like 3 or 4 games installed at any given time, currently have 135GB free). I also have a ~12TB Plex/file server that still has like 3TB free that I use for bulk storage anyways.

Yeah, I imagine that would be fine. My main concern would be the lack of storage expandability since there's only a single m.2 slot and four sata slots, and with itx you can't use an expansion card for more sata/m.2 slots down the line. If you don't see yourself expanding your storage much over the years, then this isn't a concern. Otherwise, the next best option would be the H670 version of this motherboard which comes with an additional m.2 slot. It also comes with a slightly bigger VRM in case you ever want to upgrade to a more powerful CPU over the years (the VRM on the B660 version could potentially hamstring CPUs that want more power than the 12400) and a PCIe Gen 5 slot, which could be useful down the line if you want to plug a GPU from several generations in the future in there (especially if AMD keeps doing that annoying thing where they cut down the PCIe lanes on their midrange products).

Thanks so much for all the info! I likely won't move on from the 12400 for a handful of generations based on how it has benchmarked for games. Whenever I do plan to move on, it'll probably be onto a new socket anyways lol. My current GPU is a 1660 Ti, which I'll also probably be keeping for the forseeable future. I don't play many AAA titles; the next big game I'll probably get on PC is Street Fighter 6, and I'll mostly be playing Overwatch 2 until then. I'm also sticking with my 500GB SATA WD Blue SSD for now. When I upgrade to/add an M.2 drive, it'll probably be a fatty 2TB one, but that for sure won't be for a while.

quote:

edit: As a word of warning though, if you're not using a downdraft cooler (pulls air from above and blows it through the heatsink and against the board), then the VRMs on any of these are going to limit CPU upgradeability. The 12400 will be fine either way, but Hardware Unboxed tested some ASRock boards with better VRM cooling (such as the B660M Pro RS) and they still hamstrung the 12600 and better. But put any airflow on the board, and the issues vanish. Just something to consider regarding your long-term upgrade paths.

Hmm, I got this Thermalright cooler on sale for ~$25 + $9 for the LGA 1700 kit — http://www.thermalright.com/product/tl-as120-rgb/. I'm guessing that's not downdraft? Despite not being downdraft, and not using a CPU better than the 12400, I'd still be better off using the Thermalright cooler than the stock Intel cooler right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, in this case the tower cooler will be fine. Just about anything can run a 12400 with no airflow on the VRM, it's not a demanding CPU. I was mostly just worried in the event that you wanted to hold onto the board for a while and do in-socket upgrades again.

Ahh, ok! Yeah the only reason I did in-socket Haswell upgrades was because I got the i5-4570 for free, and I got the i7-4770 + 16GB DDR3 RAM from a goon for really cheap, otherwise I probably would've stayed with the i3-4330 up til now. I got a good 2 years use out of the 4770 but figured now it's time to finally move on from Haswell lmao, especially with how cheap I got the i5-12400 — managed to get it down to $134.99 + tax from my local Microcenter.

I've always bought budget CPUs in the $100ish range from previous generations (before I jumped to an i3-4330, I was on a Phenom II X4 840 that I also got for ~$100 from Microcenter), so jumping to an i5 around the same price point is the biggest leap I've ever made on an initial upgrade lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

First thing I saw was the corner of the I/O plate is poking out of the ESD bag. Looks like the wifi antenna connectors took a hit (made a hit?) as well. That last one is just some marks on the ESD bag from the heatsinks. It's in a few spots, makes me think it got jostled more than appears. I dunno?

Is that a problem? Don't see any major physical damage... but I didn't want to open the ESD bag to inspect it in case that voided the return somehow... dunno, last I dealt with newegg returns they were kind of a dick about charging restocking fees for stuff that wasn't my fault.

I mean, gently caress, I got 2 weeks until the cooler adapter arrives... just not sure if I should make a fuss about this or not.

Yeah, I've literally rammed a screwdriver straight into the mainboard PCB several times on a few builds which I'm sure put more force on the board than whatever happened to yours in transit, lol, and have never had any issues. You should be ok! :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Can I ask why?

Because...

look, you gotta get at that pcie release lever somehow when you have a gpu and a massive cpu cooler installed.

...lmao, exactly this reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

See now I'm remembering way back when the CPU heatsink mounted via spring-loaded clips... definitely had some run-ins with a screwdriver.

Yep, this is another reason I’ve accidentally rammed a screwdriver into the mobo PCB.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I have no idea what's going on with Thermalright's single-tower coolers anymore since they keep shuffling things around. But it seems like they've recently released yet another new one, the BA120, currently $27: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ative=9325&th=1

It's a six-heatpipe design with what looks like a rectangular coldplate designed around the longer Intel 12th-gen IHSes. This now sits alongside Thermalright's five-heatpipe AK120 ($29 after discounts) and their four-heatpipe AX120 ($22 after discounts).

GamersNexus gave a different Thermalright four-heatpipe single-tower cooler, the AS120, a fairly positive review. I have no idea what the difference is between that one and the AX120. The BA120 looks pretty good though. It claims it can cool up to 245W, which I extremely doubt, but it would probably work pretty well as a budget option for midrange CPUs up to the 12600K (with more expensive dual-tower coolers being a bit cooler and quieter, most likely). I dunno if the outer heatpipes are going to get much contact on AMD's square IHSes though.

I bought the AS120 based on the GamersNexus review, but do you think I would see any difference in performance between the AS120 and the BA120 on my i5-12400 just based on the BA120's spec sheet?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Good to know, thanks :)

My motherboard shipped, so new upgrades should be in place by the weekend hopefully :dance:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

galenanorth posted:

This is going to be a very dumb post. Putting the new cooler in with the correct orientation didn't work, and it wasn't any better than before. I tried removing the fan not between the heatsinks and that made it worse, like 10 degrees hotter. I cut two of the zip-ties holding the wires together and still couldn't get them to move very far. I think it might just be that they're too taut to move. However, I spent hours cleaning the original stock cooler by removing dust bunnies with a toothpick. Then I used alcohol wipes on the exterior, then I cleaned off the old thermal paste and put it back in with new thermal paste on the CPU. Before, I was only kinda cleaning some of the top surface beneath the fans with a dry paper towel without taking it out. At baseline when the CPU is fluctuating at its lowest, the lowest number I see with the stock cooler is 4C lower than before. When I do the same A Hat in Time starting area test as before (82% CPU usage), the CPU quad core now runs at 50C/55C/51C/52C, 35 degrees C cooler than before, with 66C for the GPU.

Are you installing the cooler without taking the motherboard out of the case? Because from the photos you posted, it looks kind of cramped in there as is, and I feel like attempting to seat the tower style cooler you have without removing the motherboard first would lead to a bad mount.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Got my i5-12400/B660 upgrades in today. XMP profile clocked to 3200MHz no problem. Ran Prime95 Small FFTs for about an hour and temps stablized around 60-65C. CPU idles at like 28-32C :allears: This Thermalright cooler is my first tower cooler; thing is legit. Super quiet after setting up custom curves.

Unfortunately after running the Heaven benchmark for a bit, sounds like the fan on my 2-year old Corsair SF600 Gold PSU is on its way out? Here's a short video of the noise. I've literally never heard the fan on my PSU until today while running the Heaven benchmark for like an hour or so, and was never sure if the fan was ever running since its a zero RPM Fan Mode enabled unit. Blew out the dust to see if that would help, and nope.

Submitted an RMA ticket to Corsair :( Do they do advance RMAs? I'd like to just swap in a new unit since I'm assuming they'll just ask for the brick and not cables (oh god please not the cables, I've already routed and tied them off inside my Lian-Li TU150).

[edit] Friend is gonna mod my PSU with a Noctua fan :dance:

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 26, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For what it's worth, the RAM I got wasn't listed on my motherboard's (ASRock B660M-ITX) QVL and I was able to set the XMP profile no problem to run the modules at 3200MHz. Worked right out of the box. I feel like it's less of an issue with Intel? I always had a hell of a time getting RAM to run at its rated XMP speed with Ryzen builds if they were non-QVL modules.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think it would be worth buying the cooler I linked above too to use instead of the stock [intel] cooler, but it wouldn't be strictly necessary.

+1 for Thermalright cooler on a 12th gen intel chip. The Assassin Spirit with its fan at ~800RPM keeps my i5-12400 at around 27-32C when idle/during normal PC usage. Coolest running PC I've ever had :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Black Friday is gonna be awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

spunkshui posted:

This is why I love GPU temp controlled case fans.

How do you set case fan curves based on GPU temps? I would like to do that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CoolCab posted:

i don't see the point in small form factor other than the like, what are basically a netbook on a VESA mount at least that will legitimately reduce desk clutter. silliest thing in the world to chase for performance imo like just buy a laptop ffs lol.

Some of us just like small and cute/chonky PCs, OP. I am very happy with my TU150, which is borderline SFF I guess. With my recent upgrades I now have front USB-C port and it's great.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Dependent on your fan control software or MB BIOS.

Which fan control software allows auxilary fan curves set to GPU temps? My mainboard BIOS pulls temp info from CPU and some other source, but no GPU :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SFX power supplies are cute.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hmmmmm, the 2TB SN770 is $170 direct from Western Digital right now and they throw in a free 64GB flash drive... I'll likely see a better deal in a few months for Black Friday right? Really tempting to pull the trigger right now though, even though I said it'd be a while before I add an NVMe drive to my setup lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The 2TB P3 Plus is $162 right now, which is about the same speed (but QLC instead of TLC). It seems likely to me that prices will be a decent bit lower by black friday, but it's hard to predict what the flash memory cartel will do, considering how heavily price-fixed the market is.

I'd be using the NVMe drive for OS/boot/game storage, so I'm assuming TLC would be preferable for that, right? I'd leave my current 500GB WD Blue SATA drive in my PC for extra storage I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gonna give Argus Monitor a whirl after the P12 slim 120mm fan I ordered gets here. Hopefully it'll help cool down my chonky 1660Ti (there's just enough room in my TU150 to install a slim fan at the bottom front of the case I think, since my 1660Ti is a short but fatty 2.75 slot card, lol...fingers crossed :haw:).

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

njsykora posted:

So I've been meaning to build a Plex server for a while and since I got a new job with an actual salary I'm flush with reliable income, also the R5 5600G is dirt cheap now and seems like a good core to build it around. Mostly I'm wondering about cases, I don't have much experience with anything smaller than mid-towers and being a server I'm going to want to sling drives in it.

Any 10th gen Intel chip for a Plex server would benefit greatly from Intel's hardware transcoding (11th and 12th gen Intel are apparently wonky with Plex's hardware accelerated transcode implementation). Though, this is assuming you have Plex Pass (hw acceralation is a Plex Pass-only feature). Just something to consider if you plan on replacing content in your Plex library with 4K media and need to transcode down from 4K HDR to tonemapped 1080p SDR.