Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've got a Seasonic X-850 (SS-850KM) power supply and Corsair 400C case I'm not using. Not sure if it's worth selling though since the power supply is heavy and the case is bulky so they will be expensive to ship. I don't have facebook for marketplace and would prefer to avoid having to deal with craigslist randoms. Any suggestions for what to do with these? They are in good working order and in original boxes, mainly just want to keep them out of the landfill if somebody as a use for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Try hardware swap on Reddit?

I’ve had good success selling local and shipped there. SAMart too. You can always post for free for local pickup.

Oh good point, probably enough bay area goons to make local pickup viable. I'll try hardware swap if that doesn't work. Thanks!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rexxed posted:

There's USB NVMe adapters, too, although they may not be as quick.

Does the speed matter for erasing ssds? I thought you can just do the secure erase that is pretty much instant

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Xenoborg posted:

How much does brand or heatsink matter for SSDs? MC has a few similar options I'm choosing between.
https://www.microcenter.com/endeca/...WFsbCZwYWdlPTE=

I don't think you need one at all unless you have some heavy load on it 24/7 or the airflow in your case is absolutely awful

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
PSU I feel is worth spending extra on, especially since they usually last 2-3 upgrade cycles. Seasonic has always been my go-to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jeremor posted:

https://ibb.co/f9tnJSt
https://ibb.co/vsHLNGD

Well I spent about 4 hours with a pocket knife trying to straighten everything. This is the result, best I could make it. Being hopeful, I installed the chip and the cooler back and tried to boot it.same issue, red cpu light yellow dram light, no monitor activity at all.

God drat it

I don't remember it looking like this when I got it, but I never dropped the chip or anything as far as I'm aware
I'm almost wondering if I used too much thermal paste and squashed the chip down in some weird way while installing the cooler. I don't know. I seriously doubt I'll get a warranty or anything like that for it. Ordered a replacement board now, least it wasn't too expensive I guess. Learned some lessons.

I think the tolerances on those connecting pins is just super precise, and that one got properly mangled. I wonder if you took it to a jeweler they might have the right dexterity, magnifying glass, and tool to bend them back into place. Still may not work though, and might end up costing more than the board anyways. I feel like you would definitely have noticed your oopsie if you were the ones that bent the contacts - this looks like somebody dropped the CPU onto the socket as they were moving it into place, or severely mishandled it while the plastic cover was off of it.