Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking into building a new PC for mainly media consumption and light productivity tasks. I would like something that can potentially be upgraded for entry level gaming down the line.

Here's what I quickly put together using some popular parts in my region of central Europe:

1 x Intel Core i3-12100, 4C/8T, 3.30-4.30GHz, boxed (BX8071512100)
1 x ASUS Prime H610M-D D4 (90MB1A00-M0EAY0)
1 x G.Skill Aegis DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000, CL16-18-18-38 (F4-3000C16D-16GISB)
1 x KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 SSD 1TB, M.2 (LRC20Z001TG8)
1 x be quiet! Pure Base 500 grau, schallgedämmt (BG036)
1 x Corsair TX-M Series Modular TX550M 80 PLUS Gold 2021 550W ATX 2.4 (CP-9020228-EU)

Total ~500 Euros

I went with the 12100 as it is the cheapest, latest gen i3 with an iGPU option and since Alder Lake-S is a good option at that price point from my understanding.
The Kioxia SSD is the cheapest PCIe M.2 drive that offers a five year warranty.
Similarly, I put the TX550M PSU in there since it is the cheapest that comes with a seven year warranty, there are cheaper options like the Seasonic B12 BC but I would lose modularity, two years of warranty and only save about 10 Euros.

I know a little bit about the PC parts market but that's more in the enthusiast space, so I'm not sure if my choices here are solid or if I should be taking a different approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Grand Fromage posted:

Is having one stick of RAM a problem? I thought you always wanted it in pairs, even if it's not more RAM than a single stick.

I'm sorry this is poorly worded, it refers to one 16gb kit consisting of two 8gb modules.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

H610 motherboards are really limited. You get no memory OC with them, which means no XMP profile support even. You wouldn't be able to run that memory at its rated speed as a result. I looked around german(?) PCPartPicker and found this B660 motherboard for the same price as that H610 one, and it would better serve you should you ever upgrade that system for light gaming. Most regions have a similar situation where you can find a superior B660 board for the same price as H610 boards, or close to it.

Thanks a lot, this is just the sort of advice I was hoping for!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've got a free PC at work, would this be a worthwhile upgrade for a relatives old system?

Old system:
xeon x5560
12gb ddr2 ram
9800gt
512gb hdd

"New" system:
i5-4650
8gb DDR3
iGPU
ssd purchase

Granted it's "free" outside of the SSD and time/effort but if it doesn't feel at least a decent bit faster I'd rather just not bother putting in the setup work.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm sorry, it's one of the i5 versions of this but I don't know the exact one:

https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-sff/m83/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I could also get a 16gb DDR3 kit for 45 Euros, would that be a worthwhile expense?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't realized Windows 10 was this close to EoL.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking to replace my desktop this fall and would appreciate some input. I don't do a lot of gaming right now but want the ability to put a powerful GPU in there should that change. I like to do some occasionally video editing and want to run a VM for testing pirated software and also for connecting to my work PC. I've written some brief comments underneath some of the parts to explain my choices, any feedback would be appreciated:

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K or AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
-waiting for Raptor Lake reviews to decide
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
-picked the cooler because it's well reviewed and powerful, wondering if it'd be worth it to step up to an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 since the case offers the space for it but I've never installed an AiO (noise?)
Motherboard: Z690 or B650, depending on the CPU
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4
-good reviews, high speeds and a 5 year warranty
Video Card: Zotac MINI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Video Card
-I already own this
Case: Fractal Design Torrent
-good reviews, already bought as I got it on sale
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G6 850 W 80+ Gold
-recommended by the PSU google doc, wondering if I should step up to 1000w so I'd be able to put a 5090 in should I feel like it without having to take the whole system apart

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The AiO would be more suited if I decide to go with Intel then?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

spunkshui posted:

You can start to justify the cost if you were already looking at buying 2-3 quality case fans for the top of your case.

Just make sure you do your research because I was surprised to see how hard it was to get a new case that accommodated my 280 AIO in the roof.

Just because it has the right size fan holes doesn’t mean it will clear the motherboard or ram correctly if an AIO is installed instead of fans.

If it does, as I figure the Torrent will, the installation is not that much more difficult compared to an air cooler I take it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I assume the Torrent I ordered will be fine, as it's enormous, are there any common AiO models that are particularly tricky to install?

Edit: Thank you for the detailed response above, I'll rewatch the review, it was a key reason for picking the Torrent initially.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Amazon has a DDR5 kit on sale that's 4800/CL40 and I'm wondering if that's a good choice for someone who is not necessarily a power user. I'm planning on building a system either around Zen4 or Raptor Lake and the most demanding scenarios are media consumption while simultaneously running a VM as well as some (mild) video editing. The kit is priced nearly the same as a DDR4 one, so I'm wary that it might just be a really poor option.

The kit in question is a Crucial one, model number CT2K16G48C40U5, the next step up would be about 60 Euro more for something like the Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5600C36.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That one's actually rather expensive here at 240 Euro.

The cheapest options I've seen are the ones I posted:

Crucial 4800/40 143 Euro
Corsair 5600/36 198 Euro

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I was planning on getting a FD Torrent with an AiO for the CPU (i7-13700k or Ryzen 7 7700X) but the case got destroyed during shipping and now it's not on sale anymore, forcing me to look at alternatives. I'm wondering if the FD Torrent Compact in combination with an air cooler like this: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

would be a suitable combination for the level of CPU I'm planning for. The Zen4 reviews I've looked at make mention of a powerful cooler being important but I assume that doesn't mean only AiOs?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When looking at capable air coolers, Ryzen 7 or i7 level, are there any brands other than bequiet and Noctua worth considering?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MaxxBot posted:

Deepcool AK620 is pretty good and cheaper than Noctua.

Thank you, I'll take them into consideration.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
With Raptor Lake reviews and seemingly not overwhelmingly positive, I've finalized what I intend to put together over the next week or two. I'd appreciate feedback if there's any oversights, I'd like to think I did my research but I've not done this in quite a while so it's very possible I overlooked something.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor (€468.90 @ Alza)
seems like the middle ground between gaming and production tasks

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE White ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
great performance/value according to this review and compatible with AM5 according to their website

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS ATX AM5 Motherboard (€388.74 @ Computeruniverse)+ 50 Euro Cashback
cheapest board that offers pcie5, pcie4 m.2 and not made by asrock, which isn't the most well regarded from my understanding

Memory: Crucial CT2K16G48C40U5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-4800 CL40 Memory (€153.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
ddr5 ram i got on sale

Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€111.90 @ Alza)
cheapest pcie4 ssd with d-ram cache and 5 year warranty i could find

Video Card: Zotac MINI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Video Card
my old GPU, to be replaced by a 4080 or 5080 down the line

Case: Fractal Design Torrent Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (€158.01 @ Amazon Deutschland)
well reviewed by GN

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
cheapest PSU i could find that offers pcie5, semi-passive operation and a 10 year warranty

As posted previously, my most heavy use cases are running a VM to do work stuff while browsing and watching PLEX, maybe also some video editing. There isn't a hard limit on budget necessarily, more trying to build something that fits my use case while also allowing for the easy upgrade of components for several years to come (why I picked an ATX 3.0 PSU).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thermalright's Peerless Assassin is a viable super cheap 120mm dual-tower cooler. Every review I've seen of it has come away impressed that such a cheap cooler manages to be competitive with the D15, DRP4, AK620, etc. It's currently $35 on amazon.

The reviews from GN and HUB I've watched of the 7700x and i7-13700k haven't been super clear on what you need to cool these CPUs. I assume a decent air cooler like the PA 120 SE or the others mentioned in your PC will be adequate for cooling them and I don't have to get an AiO as long as I don't intend on pushing OC?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Enderzero posted:

Ah poo poo, I think the PRIME Z690-P only has ez-flash and not flashback so it's probably not going to be able to boot the 13600k. This might explain why my Microcenter has 3 open boxes for this model.

Have you considered the GIGABYTE Z690 UD AX? I believe it is very comparable to the Prime you have in your list except it offers flashback as well.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

A 7700X would be fine with a Peerless Assassin, but a 13700K would be pushing it since Intel raised the power limits on that chip over the 12700K (again). The 7700X has a 105W TDP but it pulls around 135W max (less when gaming), while the 13700K has a 125W TDP but it pulls around 240W in the heaviest of loads (again, not gaming). Watt-for-watt, Intel chips are going to be easier to cool, but that's still too much to avoid throttling when using an air cooler. For both chips, people are recommending setting a lower power limit (by ~20 - 25%) and maybe undervolting. You will barely lose any performance when doing this, but you will reduce the stress on your cooler by quite a bit. Note that these chips are basically designed to regularly run at 95 - 100C when at heavy load, and you are not actually putting these chips in danger when you run them hot. And if you're going to primarily be gaming, then the PA120 or all the other dual-tower air coolers should have no problem handling that.

Appreciated :tipshat:

EDIT: Could/should I just run the 7700x in eco mode?

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 22, 2022

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does the "Active to Precharge Time", which is just about the only difference between these similarly priced RAM modules, mean anything?

I take it the answer is no but just wanna be sure.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

This combination, where your cooler is almost half the price of the CPU, doesn't make a lot of sense I believe. The i3 should be easily coolable by something more affordable like the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO or the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have this Thermaltake GF3 850w ATX 3.0 (177 Euro) PSU preordered but it's not got a shipping date and all my other parts are here already.
Would I be giving up anything by switching to this, older, Cooler Master MWE Gold 1050w ATX 2.52 (124 Euro) PSU? I assume the current issues with the 12VHPWR adapter stem from the design of the Nvidia adapter specifically and there's eventually gonna be 3rd party options that'll be fine?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

I have this Thermaltake GF3 850w ATX 3.0 (177 Euro) PSU preordered but it's not got a shipping date and all my other parts are here already.
Would I be giving up anything by switching to this, older, Cooler Master MWE Gold 1050w ATX 2.52 (124 Euro) PSU? I assume the current issues with the 12VHPWR adapter stem from the design of the Nvidia adapter specifically and there's eventually gonna be 3rd party options that'll be fine?

Anyone able to chime in on this? The sale on the old ATX 2.52 PSU is ending and I still have no indication when the new ATX 3.0 PSU would ship. Is the sensible option to just wait for the ATX 3.0 one still? I'm asking also because the return window on some of my parts is about to close, tho I suppose I could also RMA them instead if they really turn out busted.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've come across a cheap (140 Euro) refurbished system with these specs:

i3-7100
8gb DDR4
128gb SATA SSD

which I think would make for a decent Plex Media Server (they recommend 7th gen or newer intel CPUs because of Quicksync) but I'm a bit worried about the power consumption of this PC as Intel lists that CPU as having 51w TDP. Would it be prudent to go for something more expensive like a NUC or some system with a T cpu to get lower power draw for a system that would be running 24/7?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Will that system run plex? Sure, but it won’t run it well or efficiently. You’re gonna max out the CPU transcoding most stuff, and 128gb is too small for the SSD. You want the whole plex system on an SSD which includes metadata, covers, etc etc.

NUCs are good. If power efficiency is what you’re aiming for though a NAS that supports plex out of the box is likely to be a lot more power efficient that running a windows box, especially if Plex is the systems only purpose. There is a plex thread (that I don’t frequent anymore) that can probably point you better at a prebuilt solution.

My understanding is that the HD 630 is the same GPU as the UHD 630, the latter just being a rebadge, and it would be powerful enough for Plex thanks to it's Quicksync capabilities as outlined here, however due to power draw concerns I will look at other options first.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
In central Europe I'm putting together a new system for my father, who had his PC die on him. It's just for media consumption and some very mild gaming:

CPU - Intel Core i3-12100F boxed 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
intel has the edge on budget CPUs

Motherboard - MSI PRO B760M-E DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
one of the cheaper LGA1700 motherboards, not made by Biostar, who are to be avoided

Memory - TEAMGROUP Elite 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory
DDR4 memory as that saves about 60-70 Euro when also taking the motherboard into account

Storage - KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
cheapest m.2 drive with d-ram cache and 5 year warranty I could find at that size

Video Card - Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
an old GPU he already has

Case - be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case
a budget case from a well known brand

Power Supply - SeaSonic G12 GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
cheapest PSU I could find that's semi-modular, has a 5 year warranty and is from a brand I've heard from

Italics are my reasons for selecting the part in question. The main thing I'm unsure of is if going with DDR4 is the right call or if it's worth upgrading to DDR5 at that price point/use case. The system as it is comes in at 480 or so Euro with a budget in the 500 area.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

slidebite posted:

out of left field,
Depending how mild of gaming, a mini system based on a ryzen 7735hs or maybe even a 5800h-ish might fit.

These kind of things
https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-Windo...4b9bf7d0d6&th=1

Unfortunately it's some 3D gaming and, from what I looked up, there's still a considerable gap between an iGPU and even something ancient like a GTX 970. It would definitely be nice, as I wouldn't have to put a system together then, but I don't think a mini pc would be suited for this particular use case.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dr Cheeto posted:

New machine fails to POST. I'm getting a DRAM light. I've tried reseating the RAM or putting it in other slots or using only one stick but nothing seems to work. Should I go ahead and get a new set of RAM? I noted that this SKU is listed as Intel XMP 3.0 ready but it's on the memory support list for an AMD motherboard, what's up with that.

You're probably not as dumb as me but what tripped me up when I built my 7700X based system earlier this year was that the very first boot took way longer than normal, like 30+ seconds or so of just a black screen before anything happened.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Aphex- posted:

Here's a question - I have a Corsair Hydro Series H115i Pro 280mm CPU Cooler in my current build with my i7 8700k which I got back in 2018. Would it be fine to use for my new build with a i7 13700k on a different mobo? I'm not sure if it's compatible or not, or whether it would just be worth changing out the cooler as well since it's a few years old now? I was going to get the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 in the new build, but could save a bit of money if I could use my current cooler?

The H115i Pro is compatible with sockets 1150/​1151/​1155/​1156/​1200, 1356/​1366, 2011-0/​2011-1/​2011-3/​2066, meaning the required 1700 is unfortunately missing. If you're going with a new cooler, as it seems you must, consider Thermalrights newer, and presumably slightly improved, Phantom Spirit 120.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Joker posted:

Hoping to get some feedback on this before I start buying parts. Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts as I don’t have a ton of experience building.

The components you've chosen would also easily fit the smaller Torrent Compact, with the North also worth considering for it's alternative aesthetics. You could save a bit of money by getting 2x16gb of RAM, as the doubling to 64gb would not be hugely beneficial to your stated use case.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Roger Wynter posted:

I've used the case and PSU from that build

5800x and 4070 on a 450w psu is cutting it kinda close according to some wattage calculators. I'd try to find some savings, 32gb instead of 64gb RAM and perhaps the SSD would be options, to stretch to the 5800X3D as it's more performant in gaming. I'm not sure if you can find that within the budget tho, if you also replace the PSU, which I reckon should be your first priority.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I assume "no" but is there any indication we'll see a 7800x3d successor in the next six months?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Any suggestions on coolers? i have a hyper 212 evo but i bet designs got better since then.

Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE or Peerless Assassin 120 SE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Wondering if this is a good combo for an 7800X3D/RTX4080 based gaming system:

Corsair Vengeance DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-6000, CL30-36-36-76, on-die ECC (CMK32GX5M2B6000Z30)
ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI

Picked the RAM cause of it's low 30/36 timings and the MB because it has an integrated I/O plate, which I like for the convenience and aesthetics, and it supports the "on-die ECC" feature that the RAM has, tho I'm not sure what that is exactly.

I have another ASUS board right now that I felt is fine, tho the armory crate process that's always running I could do without.