Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Great OP, everything a person could want to know about building as of June 2021!

Maybe add a mention for the key-sellers on SAMart, so no one pays more than $15 for Win10? I almost fell for that trap! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CoolCab posted:

i would also give a slightly dissenting opinion on HDDs? people get this really, really twisted because they remember the dark ages of loading a game off the same drive your OS is running from. this is a bad idea - any drive your OS is running from is constantly reading/writing system files, and since that takes up an adequate-to-significant amount of your bandwidth of course it means games take for loving ever to load. don't configure your poo poo like this, OS on the fastest drive and games somewhere else.

because, and this is really important, the primary bottleneck when loading a game specifically is typically CPU, not your storage. the game pulls all the compressed data from your disk, HDD or SDD, decompresses it into something your engine can process and you're away. which is to say you hit the "ceiling" with load speed very quickly- you can throw the fanciest NVME 3D nand high tech whatever you want at it, it can only address part of the problem - it won't let your chip decompress those files any faster. this is why the difference between game load time of SATA SSDs, SATA m.2 and SATA NVME are borderline identical despite on paper them having a massive gap.

for this reason quick smaller SSD + big old HDD is a very good price/performance sweet spot. move anything you get a competitive advantage loading in faster after a crash (eg Apex) and whatever else you play a lot, and stick your older stuff on a barracuda or something. again so long as it's not also doing something else, like hosting the OS or doing a gigantic transfer or something, a HDD in this config ain't bad and is very kind to your wallet.

I went this route, because I have a lot of media that I want to store on my computer. But, in general, anything you want backed up should be in multiple locations (which means cloud storage) and games aren't so big that you can't install more than you can play on a 1TB drive for another few years...

So, most people will have their needs more than met by a 1TB NVME drive, or at worst a 2TB or dual drives. If you need more than 2TB of storage, platters are the only cost-effective solution, but I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. They are also very loud...my 4TB platter drive is the loudest single component in my rig...
:shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, if you ever played with legos or tinker toys (or think you could) you can build a pc, just watch a youtube video. Even Henry Cavil can do it!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

:perfect:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CoolCab posted:

hrm, here's a question for y'all

here's my current setup

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.50 @ MemoryC)
Memory: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($131.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell S2721DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $916.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-17 13:15 EDT-0400

more or less, i think - there are some loose 128 gig SSDs occupying the spare SATA slots but none i'm attached to.

i've got a birthday comin' up, and people are asking me what to buy. if i was going to upgrade what's worth pursuing? i'm keeping my eyes out for a swap for like a 3600 or 5600, i could add two more sticks of ram or buy higher quality than the 3000 overclocked to 3200 in there. in terms of cooling i don't have any problems. i have spare lil baby pci slots but i think they're under the 3070?

Upgrading to a 5600X will give you a noticeable increase in gaming performance, if you can upgrade (a 3600 would be more of a side-grade). Going to 3600 CL 16 RAM might get you single-digit fps increases. Honestly though, with that 3070 your system is already blessed.
:angel:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
A 2080 is one of the best cards on the market, given that any RTX GPU is basically a Dragon Ball at this point...

If it were my 2080, I'd just build a $1000 rig around it, something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($171.48 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $987.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-19 02:30 EDT-0400

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Lareine posted:

I'm looking for a new computer case. My current case is a cheap Corsair that I got around 7 years ago and the fans are beginning to fail on it. I could, of course, replace the fans but I am not happy with how hard it is to put the side panel back on while the case remains upright and in general, I think it's time for a change.

I want a cheap mid or full tower with no RGB poo poo that has side panels that are easy to take off and put back on.

Lareine posted:

Under $100.

At the price limit, and full tower, but I really like this case. Having not upgraded in about a decade, it was nice to see what had been premium-tier features now bog-standard.

Easy to work inside. All of the panels come off easily, with big, finger-turn screws, lots of expansion slots (which can be removed for more airflow), and removable dust panels! Has a "best of both worlds" cable management system with lots of big, rubber holes so you can stuff all those cords haphazardly where no one will see, making the viewable area neat and tidy. Plenty of room for big tower coolers or AIOs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mn3RsY/phanteks-case-phes614pbk

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tehinternet posted:

Any recommendation on a PCI-E bluetooth receiver? I'd like to pair some headphones to my computer and don't have a need for wifi as I'm wired in, wifi isn't a dealbreaker if it's the same cost as without.

I've been using this: https://www.newegg.com/asus-pce-ac58bt-pci-express/p/N82E16833320386?Item=N82E16833320386

Works great for Wifi and Bluetooth!

edit: you do need a free USB connector on your motherboard to use the BT! :eng101:

Target Practice posted:

How concerned do I have to be about the warnings that this is throwing up? I don't understand the bios flashing and how to avoid needing to do that.

As said before, most boards will already be upgraded to the new BIOS. You probably won't have to do anything. Worst-case, check the motherboard's manual for the specific instructions, but the general procedure is to load the new BIOS on a USB, stick that USB into a specific USB slot on the back of the mobo, then start the system (sometimes without any CPU installed) and load the new BIOS in. Takes 5-10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LifeSunDeath posted:

I just checked for first time in a while and newegg has cards listed in stock, like 2060's...but obviously overpriced. Still interesting that there's some options that aren't ebay.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-gv-n2060oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932115

I would be really careful about this. You will note, in the price box, that the seller is not Newegg, but a third party. These products tend to be massively inflated in cost.

The very bottom of the page will have other sellers listed. If Newegg isn't an option, personally, I would pass...

These will often pop up on PCPartsPicker, as well, massively inflating prices if a third-party seller is the only option while pretending to be "from Newegg." At the end of the day, only you can decide if the markup is worthwhile, but do understand that anything not-from-Newegg is probably priced 20%-100% over MSRP.

As for this, specific, $600 2060: it's hard to say yes when a $500 3060Ti will outperform it and and a 3070 at the same price point will net you double-digit performance increases. But it's also hard to say no when that 3060Ti and 3070 are basically the Dragon Balls and you have no hope of getting either...

:shrek:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SnatchRabbit posted:

My current Gaming PC has a EVGA G3 650 power supply running a GTX 2080 FE, 3700X, ASus Tuf Gaming Mobo, NVME and a platter drive, 16gb RAM @ 3GHz. PSU is probably 2-3 years old I'd say. If I were to upgrade to a EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 would I need to upgrade the PSU? no custom cooling or anything that really pulls from the PSU as far as I can remember.

That will :turianass: probably :turianass: be fine, but EVGA do recommend a 750W PSU for that 3070Ti while only 650W for the 2080 you have...

I would upgrade, if it were me, because I like to have enough overhead that the PSU will actually stay in the gold-rated zone, so ymmv.

DarkHorse posted:

Old PC on the fritz. Repair or build new?

• What country are you in? US
  • What are you using the system for? Light gaming, general use
  • What's your budget? Whatever, looking for advice really
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Anything would be an improvement by this point :v:

Ok so I'm getting a hardware failure on my ~5 year old PC and I've diagnosed it to one of the big three: CPU, mobo, or PSU. Computer will flick on, then off, then on, then off at about 2 second intervals.

I checked the leads on the PSU with a multimeter and they all seemed like the correct voltages. No idea if the power is still clean but I only buy high rated power supplies by well known companies, probably an Antec or a Rosewill

LGA 1150 Intel CPU
ASRock B85M Pro4

So my options as I see it are:

1. Get a replacement motherboard and hope the CPU is fine
  2. Get an upgraded CPU and hope the motherboard is fine
  3. Get a new one of both, and either hope the PSU is fine or get a new power supply too

While I'd love a new GPU, that's been pretty :lol: lately and my old Radeon hunkajunk was perfectly adequate for my needs.

Just wondering what other people would recommend in my situation. I have friends near a micro center so that's an option too.

It's a great time to upgrade, but you are still looking at ~$600 USD to replace everything but the GPU in a bargain-basement gaming setup.

No diagnostic readouts on the mobo? If not, you are down to swapping parts and hoping you pick the right one, which could cost you as much as a new upgrade if you guess incorrectly and can't return.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

That's basically what I was thinking. Yeah, mobo doesn't say/do anything unless the CPU is in, and when it's in it just flicks on/off. Money isn't a huge issue thankfully, just as long as they're good value

How much have power requirements grown in the past five years? Should I just get a new power supply so it's in warranty and I don't have to worry if it's adequate for new parts or if I decide to get a new GPU when things settle down?

If your PSU has a 10-year warranty and is only 5 years old, it's probably good...

...but I always recommend just getting a new PSU when upgrading: it adds ~10% to the cost of the system and its the one component that can destroy all of the others.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ben shapino posted:

So I bought a Cooler Master 750W SFX power supply.

All good, except the cable that comes with it that goes to the 24 pin socket on the motherboard is too short... it doesn't reach my motherboard after snaking it through the case.

What are my options here? Can I buy a single cable extension? A set of them? A set of replacement cbales? Do I need to buy it from Cooler Master or will any company do? Can I use the cable from another power supply or manufacturer?

I'd like to avoid spending that much more money here.. what's my best path to getting this thing plugged in?

You should be able to get some kind of extension for the side that connects to the motherboard, but I'd like to know what case you are using? It seems really strange that it doesn't reach, there should be a direct path from the PSU housing to various places where the 24-pin might be...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Spacedad posted:

I have a challenge for you folks. I know a lot of newbie artists who are on tight budgets and need to get their first 'real' art PCs. (Many of them are using old trashy laptops.)

So I'm trying to get a budget build of 'suggested/example parts' together for the minimum of what they need to use digital art apps reasonably decent, in their babbys first budget art-PC build.

I'd want to put stuff together that they could use NOW but which has somewhat of an upgrade path for adding a GPU, more ram, and more space later.

Some of the parameters I'm looking at would be:

-A 4-core option and 6-core option for the CPU, each which have integrated graphics so they can use it right now without a GPU. (FYI 4-core is the absolute minimum for a lot of art apps to even work. 6-core would be the preferred option.)

-16 gb ram - this is the minimum for semi-reasonable performance in art apps; they're going to need to upgrade to 32gb later of course.

-A budget motherboard that allows a reasonable upgrade path.

-A power supply that has enough reasonable overhead for expansion for a GPU and other potential stuff later. (Or even swap in a new CPU.)

-Budget case that is pretty easy and accessible to build in for newbie PC builders.

I'd want to see how low-cost we could get this without sacrificing a whole lot. Somewhere around 500-800 bucks USD would be the sweet spot maybe.

Here's my stab:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($207.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($98.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $564.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-11 11:07 EDT-0400

Integrated graphics, but can upgrade to a low-end GPU in the future (3060, I'm thinking).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

lordofthefishes posted:

This plus a couple other devices. I can get away with 2 bays but more would be better.

Yes, I realise how odd this is in 2021.

I really love this case and it has three 5" bays!
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BfPKHx/phanteks-enthoo-pro-tg-rgb-atx-full-tower-case-ph-es614ptg_bk

I use my PC as our gaming/media center, so I have a BD drive in one of the 5.25" bays. I also have a fair bit of older (and some current, POE2 is the most recent) games on DVDs, so it's nice to be able to install them if I want. I have some older optical drives I could transfer from another PC to fill the other slots, but I don't need them since the BD writes/rewrites all optical media. May get one of those fancy, front-panel displays one day.
:allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
one of us :woop:

one of us :woop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > PC Building Megathread: Full Tower Appreciation Station
:c00lbert:

Cyberdud posted:

After posting in the old thread in August 2020 and thinking it over, i decided to keep my current PC for a bit longer. I bought and built this PC in 2015. I feel I'll eventually run out of luck and my 970 is going to die so i'm trying to edge my bets and see what the current options are since i recently got a bonus at work.

Use: Gaming new titles in 1080p@60FPS but i'm open to higher if possible. Hopefully lasts for 5-6 years minimum.
Budget: $2500-$3000 CAD; I already have monitors, mouse and keyboard
Monitor: ASUS VP247 (1080p 60hz), Old rear end LG W2053
Desired graphics: I'd like to get great graphics but it doesn't to run everything at ultra.

Extras: I'd like to go with a NVME 1TB drive for the OS drive as well as a 1TB SSD for secondary storage. 32 GB of memory wouldn't be too bad since I have some leeway in my budget. I think it might also be time to invest in new monitors if I have some breathing room in the build.

Unless the inflation rate has gone bananas, that is basically an unlimited budget, if you can get all parts at MSRP. Something like this would be my starting point (add $600 for the GPU with no price):
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1207.84 (~$1400 CAD, ~$2200CAD w/ GPU)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-14 11:52 EDT-0400

Case is a filler, no idea if it works for you or fits, so get whatever suits your needs and you don't mind looking at for the next decade. Motherboards should be updated by now, but you may need to check for BIOS flashback, just in case. I'd just go with 2 NVME drives, rather than getting a second SATA: not much to be saved by getting an NVME and a 2.5". I prefer Seasonic PSUs, but was lazy, anything from the big brands with a gold rating and 10-year warranty should be fine.

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 14, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

VelociBacon posted:

I still have a 5.25" floppy drive that I was putting into PCs for a long time and just connecting to molex power (it was IDE) so the green LED on the front would be on and it would look like it was set up. Good for a laugh I guess but now that I'm an old piece of poo poo and nobody sees my PC I haven't bothered. Also I think the little handle lock-in piece would prevent the front of my case from closing.

They make IDE to SATA adapters for <$10USD if you really want to load up those 3.5" discs... :pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

VelociBacon posted:

This is a 5.25" drive though! And now that I think about it I believe I also stopped connecting it to power because it would make some kind of noise.

e: It's in a closet somewhere but I think it's this one, that light looks familiar

stop it i need to call a doctor... :ohdear:

Jokes aside, no idea if any media can survive ~40 years on an actually floppy, floppy disc, but you could find out... :sweatdrop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

RVT posted:

What's a decent bracket I can buy to support a 3080? Ordered a computer from cyberpower in April and it finally arrived, right as supply started improving, but whatever I guess. They put an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in it, and it has the most massive cooler I've ever seen on a video card. When I took the foam out, it sagged a little, so I want to put some support under it.

Isn’t that a double-slot card? Do the screws on the back panel not hold it in place?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
For gaming, there is no benefit to the 5800/5900 over the 5600. You will get significantly more performance by putting that extra $150+ towards a better GPU.

The 5600 is faster, better, and cheaper than the 3700! The 5600 + 3080 is still the strongest price/performance combo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LorneReams posted:

Don't be a dumb gently caress like me and struggle to get the Bluetooth working before realizing the Wi-Fi antenna also is the Bluetooth antenna. I've been up all night with this poo poo LOL.

A lot of times the Bluetooth part of the adapter requires a cord into a free USB hub on the main board, too!
:eng101:

https://twitter.com/lorriehancock18/status/1416587544892887042?s=21

Please consult a medical professional if your erection lasts longer than five hours...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's kind of hilarious to have a huge, plastic :airquote: airflow :airquote: case and then just shove a bargin-bin Dell case from 1998 inside of it like a Russian Nesting Doll.

Was Alienware ever reputable, before they were bought by Dell? My hazy, childhood nostalgia has them as the only ~gaming~ PC maker back in the 90s. Was it garbage back then too?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I have a 1070 driving a 1080p TV and it can do Cyberpunk at Max/Ultra for reference.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, chip manufacturing is crazy.

Basically, Intel/AMD/et al are only trying to make their top-of-the-line chipsets. But the process is so complex and inexact, that they have to “bin” the finished products into different model lines. So the chips that work at >95% (not sure if this is the real figure) will be binned for the top tier (3090s), the next tier of bins becomes 3080s, and so on.

Industry insiders, who watch the Fabs obsessively, will check the output numbers for a gauge of when the product line will be ready. Manufacturers won’t actually sell the products until they can reliably produce the top-end model.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > PC Building Megathread: Still No GPUs: Unironically Recommending Prebuilts

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
You can buy physical copies of Windows that come on a USB, but I would recommend buying a key from someone like LN and then just getting a friend/family member to let you make a USB with their computer (you only need an internet connection).

You can actually avoid getting the key altogether, if you don't care about customizing your desktop or a few other features...just need the (free) installer which you can put on any USB.

You will have to format the USB, so be sure to pull any unique data off it, first!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Gamers Nexus is what you remember Anandtech being... :corsair:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Unless MS Flight Simulator or Cyberpunk 2077 is your favorite game, 8+ cores is kind of a waste right now for gaming. That is unlikely to change for at least the current console generation, which gives 3-5 years. Almost always better to put that money towards a better GPU, instead!

Takes No Damage posted:

Aahhh, the heady days of the early 2000s, reading through 28 CPU benchmarks with each chart being on a separate page you had to select from a giant drop-down menu :allears:

The Bench is still great for making comparisons, but it was sad to watch the decline. It's not that they're bad, or anything, just that I guess Anand himself was so good and had so many connections...maybe it wasn't a decline so much as time just marched on.

For instance, this is a really good article with lots of information pertinent to this thread: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus

...but GN gives the same info and I don't have to read. :effort:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

v1ld posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but: I'd like to get better surge protection in front of my electronics. I've been on a bit of a voice controlled electronics kick so ideally the surge protector would be integrated into a smart strip or plug.

The other big feature I'd like from the surge protector is that the strip or plug completely stop working when they're no longer protecting. A malfunction light is useless, I'll never see it. Better it just refuse to turn on so I can replace it.

The TP-Link Kasa smart strips (3 & 6 ports) seem to be rated at 1750 Joules but I can't find much on them as far as surge protection goes, including what happens after the surge protector is blown.

Any ideas/advice here? Am I better off looking at whole house protection at the curb?

E: the highly rated non-smart protectors I can find are all either 3-6 port monstrosities or are single port devices that can only do limited protection (200J range). Are there single port devices with high protection?

I think what might work is a power-backup UPS. Most of them offer surge protection >1k joules and you can get batteries with enough power to give you 30 minutes to shut everything down. APC is the popular brand with commercial outfits and I've used CyberPower for almost 2 decades without any issues.

Unless I am just misunderstanding...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

VelociBacon posted:

Enough people have posted about fan stuff or general first-time building that I think it's worth mentioning when you finish your build just power it on and off with the side off and make sure your fans are a) not hitting any cables and b) spinning in the directions you wanted them to.

Modern fans will all have airflow pointers somewhere on the chassis to help with mounting! :eng101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone know what an “equivalent” PC a PS5 would be? I’m just trying to get an idea of hardware capabilities.

To :bandwagon: : somewhere around a Ryzen 3700 with 16GB of ram, an nvme SSD, and a 3060/2070.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cross-Section posted:

Regardless of season, my PC always ends up heating my room (the colder months even more so since the house heater's on as well) but recently it's been noticeably cooler in there and the radiator itself is as well, so...

Have you tried setting a delay to your curve, maybe 15 or 20 seconds, so that it doesn't trigger for the spikes but you can actually set a curve besides flat 70%?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pvt. Parts posted:

Glad someone is keeping track, I have resigned myself to remaining in the fetal position during waking hours.

Where do you get a Windows key for $15 btw?

I got mine from Lodge North in SA Mart (linked above). Took less than 30 minutes to get my key. I will never give Gates another dollar.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, the 5600X performs as well/better in gaming and if you are doing any kind of video production you are going to want a 5900X or 5950X. The 5800X sits in a no man's land of performance. It's not bad, by any means, it's just not better in gaming to justify the price increase over the 5600X or powerful enough to say it's a value CPU for entry-level production.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, I've let plenty of SSDs dangle or just stacked them loose on top of platter drives, but I would be curious/possibly worried that something was shorting out when they were screwed in...
:iiam:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rinkles posted:

Any ideas? I've been banging my head against this for hours now. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times now, restarting after each one. Through Windows, Intel and Gigabyte.

Is it showing up in Device Manager?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
At this point my pipe dream is that they will release a 4000-series GPU and I can finally get a 3070...
:ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy thread.

I have the following motherboard:

Manufacturer: ASRock
Product Name: B450 Pro4
Version:
Serial Number: M80-D7017701962

I am currently using a usb wifi and separate bluetooth adaptor and both are poo poo. I start a new job in January and they have already pointed out that my internet is going to be a problem. I am going to gently caress about with the router because I am pretty sure there are some problems there, but the wifi dongle presents a lot of problems and the bluetooth has a reach of about 1 foot.

I want to avoid a wired connection so am looking in to an internal card that can do both bluetooth and wifi.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use this one:

ASUS Dual Band 802.11AC Wireless-AC2100 PCI-E Bluetooth 5 Gigabit Wi-Fi Adapter, 160MHz Support

It can max out my 100MB/s connection and the Bluetooth reaches at least 20’ on my headphones.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Anyone have Newegg return advice?

I ordered an item on 12-23, and a shipping label was created, but the tracking number still shows no information ("this tracking number not found"). I tried cancelling the order, but they said since the label was made they can't cancel. The refund policy says I have to return the item within a week, but it was never shipped to me in the first place.

Seems like a pretty lovely loophole that they can just print a label and never ship the thing and then the end-user is just boned?
:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Is...is it over? Can I just buy a 3070 Ti for $729 from Newegg now?
:tinfoil: