Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

King of DDT is upon us, with the first round starting in roughly an hour. For those people that enjoyed the DDT segments from CyberFest and wanted to see more, you're in luck. This tournament is absolutely stacked, featuring 16 absolutely incredible wrestlers.

quote:

7pm JST/9pm AEDT/11am BST/6am EST/3am PST

DDT King of DDT 1st Round
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
Antonio Honda, Danshoku Dieno, Kazuki Hirata, Toru Owashi & Yuki Iino vs Hideki Okatani, Toi Kojima, Yukio Naya, Yusuke Okada & Yuya Koroku
King of DDT Round 1: HARASHIMA vs Makoto Oishi
King of DDT Round 1: Yuji Hino vs Yukio Sakaguchi
King of DDT Round 1: MAO vs Soma Takao
King of DDT Round 1: Akito vs Konosuke Takeshita
King of DDT Round 1: Daisuke Sasaki vs Yuki Ueno
King of DDT Round 1: Jun Akiyama vs Shunma Katsumata
King of DDT Round 1: Kazusada Higuchi vs Naomi Yoshimura
King of DDT Round 1: Chris Brookes vs Tetsuya Endo

Watch the entire tournament Wrestle Universe here
And as always Haku-san has the English language hookup for us here

After the first two rounds the final four competitors will be re-randomised and will fight the semis and finals in the same night.

First Round Matches
HARASHIMA vs Makoto Oishi
Harashima is a DDT lifer, multiple time Heavyweight champ and one half of the current tag champs with Big Japan's Yuji Okabayashi. He fought Uncle Jun for the big belt at CyberFest and came up short, but is always a threat to do well, having won this tournament twice (2010 and 2013). Makoto Oishi is a member of Junretsu, Jun Akiyama's stable. He's a former comedy guy that has turned over a new leaf teaming with the ultra serious Uncle Jun and make a great accounting of himself during tag league last month, but is not really a big singles guy. Maybe this is his chance to turn that around and maybe come after his stable leader.

Yuji Hino vs Yukio Sakaguchi
Hino is an absolute beast of a man, if you saw the preshow battle royale he was the fuckin huge one. Current member of Damnation, where he holds the 6 man titles with two other guys in the tournament, Tetsuya Endo and Soma Takao. His arms are so big he can't actually take his shirt off by himself, so he usually enlists Sasaki to do it for him. Yukio Sakaguchi is one third of Eruption, the coolest stable in the world. He's a former mixed-martial artist who kicks hard and has a ton of badass tattoos, what's not to love. Also, it probably won't come up in this tournament, but once he starts giggling he has a tough time stopping.

MAO vs Soma Takao
MAO is the youngest member of 37KAMIINA, a group of guys who came together (in defiance of being members of three different stables) because of their shared love of sauna. All four of them rule in their own right and MAO is an absolute favourite of mine. Check out his Kids Room deathmatch against his stablemate Shunma where he tried to murder Shunma with a cinderblock and argued that a table was technically a slide because it was set up at an angle, it's an absolute delight. Soma Takao is another member of Damnation, and is probably the edgiest of them depending on how drunk Sasaki is. He can be hit and miss, but is generally more than solid when the occasion calls for it.

Akito vs Konosuke Takeshita
Akito is an EVP at CyberFight and is a technical wizard, he will tie you up and hurt you with a new leglock every minute without needing to repeat. You might remember his from his awesome Single Lightube deathmatch with ASUKA in 2019, but he recently had a MOTYC with Yuki Ueno that nobdy watched because it was a pretaped show. Konosuke Takeshita is one of the best young wrestlers in the world, he's the only dude I have equal to Shingo with 7 MOTYC this year and he's only 25. The second member of 37KAMIINA in this tournament, he spent a month in AEW (april I think) and recently won Ultimate Tag League with Shunma, so singles glory might not be at the forefront of his mind. He also won this tournament in 2019

Yuki Ueno vs Daisuke Sasaki
Yuki Ueno is the third member of 37KAMIINA, the current Universal Champion, a Kota Ibushi cosplayer, and an absolute incredible wrestler. His match with Eruption last October was my MOTY, his defence against Sakaguchi at Kawasaki Stong in February ruled, and he was part of the awesome DDT vs NOAH tag match at CyberFest. Look forward to his finishing move WR, a flippng DDT that always looks brutal. Daisuke Sasaki is a former King of DDT winner (2018) and current member of Damnation, where he provide them with the grottiest drugs with the proceeds of the Endo All-nude Photobook he produced. There was rumors last year that he was leaving DDT to join New Japan, and he was kicked out of Damnation, but these rumors did not pan out and he was readmitted into Damnation following Ultimate Party last year.

Shunma Katsumata vs Jun Akiyama
Shunma Katsumata is a horrible bratty gremlin who happens to be the oldest member of 37KAMIINA. He lost the Extreme title in a ridiculous match with Chris Brookes (complete with Joker makeups and druids bringing out a coffin with lego stuck to the outside) a few months back, and recently won Ultimate Tag League with Takeshita. On the final night of Tag League, en route to winning the tophies, Shunma pinned his first round opponent here, KO-D Champion Jun Akiyama. I think basically everyone who has a passing interest in Japanese wrestling history knows who Jun Akiyama is. He's the Fifth Pillar, the last walker of the King's Road, a 30 year veteran and the current big bad of DDT. Akiyama leads the Junretsu stable, and has been the KO-D Champion since February after winning the D-Oh Grand Prix (basically the G1) and defeating Tetsuya Endo at Kawasaki Strong. He was on this week's ShuPro cover after sucessfully defending his belt against HARASHIMA at CyberFest

Kazusada Higuchi vs Naomi Yoshimura
Kazusada Higuchi is the regular tag partner of Yukio Sakaguchi and the second third of Eruption (with the last member, Saki Akai, not competing in the tournament) He comes out like Godzilla and will throw you around without seeming like he's trying. Recently had an unsuccessful challange for the KO-D title, as he was the only person to defeat Jun during D-Oh, and no doubt he's looking for another shot. Naomi Yoshimura recently came back from a 6 month Injury to discover his former tag partner Yuki Ueno had abandoned DisasterBox and taken up with a group of Sauna Boys. Yoshimura has looked good in his matches since coming back, but his last big singles match (not counting a 10 minute match with Ueno during tag league was 8 months ago, so hopefully he's back in full fighting shape.

Tetsuya Endo vs Chris Brookes
Endo is the leader of Damnation, former KO-D Champion, and holder of both the Best Tetsuya trophy and Most Abs in Wrestling plaque. He's a physical marvel, and has one of the smootest shooting star presses i've ever seen. Also, as mentioned in Sasaki's entry, recently got his massive hog out for an all-nude photobook, with the proceeds going towards funding Damnation's lifestyle. Currently one third of the 6-man champions, and former two time winner of this tournament (2017, 2020). Chris Brookes has his fingers in a lot of pies. You might know Chrissy B as one of the commentators on That's J-PW. You might know him for his time in ChocoPro. You might know him as a member of the Itoh Respect Army. I know him as that cheating piece of poo poo that stole Shunma's title from him, although he did take a proper gnarly barbed wire table bump in the process.

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Round 2 Matches, June 20th

DDT “KING OF DDT 2021 2ND ROUND”, 20/06/2021
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

0. Under Match: Yuki Iino & Yuya Koroku Vs Yukio Naya & Hideki Okatani
1. Iron Man Heavymetalweight Title – Battle Royal: Shinya Aoki (c) Vs Yukio Sakaguchi Vs Saki Akai Vs Makoto Oishi Vs Chris Brookes Vs Antonio Honda Vs Toru Owashi Vs Kazuki Hirata Vs Mad Paulie
2. Steak Kuiyagare Presents Yusuke Okada DDT Pro Wrestling Affiliation Commemoration! Playfulness Series Act 3: Danshoku Dieno Vs Yusuke Okada (Special Witness: Kiyoshi Hayashishita)
3. 3 Way Tag Match: Yuki Ueno & Shunma Katsumata Vs Soma Takao & Nobuhiro Shimatani Vs Akito & Naomi Yoshimura
4. King Of DDT 2021 – Round 2: Kazusada Higuchi Vs Tetsuya Endo
5. King Of DDT 2021 – Round 2: MAO Vs Konosuke Takeshita
6. King Of DDT 2021 – Round 2: Daisuke Sasaki Vs Jun Akiyama
7. King Of DDT 2021 – Round 2: HARASHIMA Vs Yuji Iino

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 19, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shunma Katsumata, shurely

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Right you are, I blame the AJPW show I was watching while writing this. You'd think i'd have caught it after writing that he won tag league with Takeshita, but no such luck

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Seems the 10-man tag match is preshow, tune in now if you wish to TOKYOOOO

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1402923920307548163

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That was some drat fine sharpshooter defence from Oishi

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Abrupt ending, but I really enjoyed the matwork we got

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Abrupt ending, but I really enjoyed the matwork we got

this was a good technical showcase

and this entrance slaps!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Always enjoy Yuji Hino slapping folks because he's just so drat meaty

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
love a collapse on to the rope spot

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
oof these chops and kicks

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Fuckin love both these guys

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I love that there was an obvious winner here and it's turning the squash into a fighting spirit display.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

So much sympathy pain watching Sakaguchi take these shots.

Ooh, that was unexpected

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

fez_machine posted:

I love that there was an obvious winner here and it's turning the squash into a fighting spirit display.

guess I was wrong about who I thought would be the obvious winner!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

MAO is prepared in case Soma tries to drown him tonight

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
NICE!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Can't tell if Soma has changed his hair, or if the new HD player is just showing me things I never thought possible

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sweet sell on Deep Impact

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
what a sequence!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Pins for days

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Holy poo poo MAO, that was a real impressive jump

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
there's been a bit of overselling in this match but i'm having fun

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Fun match, far from MAO's best but definitely enjoyable.

This next match could be MOTN if both guys treat it like a main event

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
oh yeah this one has amazing potential. can't believe they put it on round 1

the technical wrestling has been incredibly smooth and compelling so far

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

fez_machine posted:

oh yeah this one has amazing potential. can't believe they put it on round 1

the technical wrestling has been incredibly smooth and compelling so far

Takeshita is a truly generational talent, and Akito has been real good for years. I can't believe I once wrote him off because of his silly shorts

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Few things I love more in wrestling than some good old fashioned legwork

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SG Bamboo posted:

Few things I love more in wrestling than some good old fashioned legwork

Although a dude getting a knee rocketed at his face is up there as well

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
YES!!! Takeshita! strap a rocket to him

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Takeshita vs MAO next round, 37 KAMIINA killing itself so quickly

That match ruled, it was exactly what I wanted it to be

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
What was that count REF?! That was 3!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ROBBERY

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Let's see if Jun has continued to embrace DDT after Cyberfight

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shunma is out in his silly trousers to help us take our mind off the injustice that just occured

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol is that foreign object a copy of Shupro?

no it's a giant cracker

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
obviously the narrative of the match is will Jun remove the beanie

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sounded like Shunma hit the ground real hard on that plancha

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

fez_machine posted: