Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
After Giampiero Ventura's absolutely horror show of managing the national team, including the complete disaster that was not qualifying for the World Cup in 2018, the FIGC decided to go with a manager who has actually won things before and that wouldn't put on a defensive midfielder when the team needed a goal to win a playoff match. Roberto Mancini was appointed and things have actually gone pretty well.

From
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhLRz4LalzA

To

Anyway De Rossi is part of the staff now, Ventura is in hiding, probably in another country, and this is the team:

Stefano Sensi of Inter and Lorenzo Pellegrini managed to get injured in the run up and have been replaced by Matteo Pessina of Atalanta and Gaetano Castrovilli of Fiorentina respectively. There are some notable omissions, mainly Moise Kean of PSG/Everton and Matteo Politano of Napoli who are worth about 10000 Bernardeschi's each. Davide Calabria had to get surgery for a sports hernia right as the season ended otherwise I think he would've slotted in at right back pretty easily as well. Would've loved to see Balotelli as well but he played in Serie B last year so that's pretty excuseable.

The squad announcement was absolutely absurd and involved a lot of karaoke and prancing around a stage with some of Italy's worst (most famous) TV and show presenters. It included Mancini waving around a frying pan:

Mancini plays a pretty basic 4-3-3 though the defenders that have been called up could easily go for a 3-5-2 or any 3 man backline, really. I don't expect Mancini will deviate too much from what brought the team here in the first place but it's possible that he'll switch things up, especially considering that so many of the players are pretty physically brittle.

The players worth watching are Barella, who was one of the best, if not the best, all around midfielder in Serie A this year and Chiesa, who went from looking like a terrible signing to showing up Ronald at the end of the season for Juve. Berardi probably wont start unless Chiesa or Insigne gets hurt but he has been very good all season and in the recent internationals. It will be easy to spot Immobile as well because....haha....oh man...get this.....he will be....pfffff....STANDING STILL!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The lead up to the tournament was pretty unremarkable. The team brushed aside a lot of garbage teams, which was nice, but also it didn't really show anything. I don't expect games against the big sides will be so easy; France and Portugal in particular look like they could easily tear this team apart. That said, Italy tends to do well in the tournament after a total shitshow tournament, and you can't get much more shitshow than not qualifying for the loving world cup.

Anyway everyone is welcome to enjoy their bans in this thread when we get knocked out by drawing to Wales in the final match of the group stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portland
May 5, 2021
Forza Azzurri!

My grandfather was in Italy for the war so I’ve always felt a connection with Italy. Looking forward to rooting on those blues!

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Vaffanculo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Portland posted:

Forza Azzurri!

My grandfather was in Italy for the war so I’ve always felt a connection with Italy. Looking forward to rooting on those blues!

How many Americans did he kill?

Portland
May 5, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

How many Americans did he kill?

Wow, ignored. Be better.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Portland posted:

Wow, ignored. Be better.

Answer the question.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Dio porco

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

https://youtu.be/GBACLpkon6Q

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Mr Coffea

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I've stuck a cheeky tenner on Italy to win as I have at every tournament since 2006 because I Will Not Learn

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’m so lazy I don’t follow Serie A but every 2 years I act like the biggest soccer fan for Italy. I really need to get on watching regular league stuff. But I’ve said that multiple times.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why have you misspelt shitaly in the title op

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Put :10bux: on them to be in the final 4, Forza Azzuri!

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Coglione

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am exited for foot, got Russia in the sweep.

It's coming home.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Matchday thread is pinned at the top of the forum for anyone wandering in here looking for that

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
dio boia

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Cazzo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pretty sure Immobile just yelled "porca puttana" in to the camera after he scored there :discourse:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Could Turkey have hosed this opening match up any worse?

OG for first goal of the tournament, then they let Italy score 3 for the first time in Euro history lmao get owned

Portland
May 5, 2021
Mama Mia! Lol, that was a great round. I’m loving pumped, excited for us to beat those Swiss next.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
‘ndru culo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Portland posted:

Mama Mia! Lol, that was a great round. I’m loving pumped, excited for us to beat those Swiss next.

settle down beavis

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Want to buy a jersey like I usually do but this belly says no, don't do it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Want to buy a jersey like I usually do but this belly says no, don't do it.

Definitely don't buy the white shirt, it's very bad.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Portland posted:

Forza Azzurri!

What the hell lmao

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
[Russian voice] my grandpa was in Germany during the Great Patriotic War so if we get knocked out I’m rooting for Die Mannshaft!!!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Italy's goaltending ranks are thin? I thought Sirigu wasn't very good anymore, or did I imagine all that

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Italy's goaltending ranks are thin? I thought Sirigu wasn't very good anymore, or did I imagine all that

I hadn't realized that he was in the squad until I saw him celebrating today. Torino were awful and gave up a ton of goals this year, and to the eye test he has fallen off a bit. It's unlikely he'd see minutes, I suspect he must be in the squad just as a veteran leader type.

Consigli might've deserved it on merit maybe, he's 34 but still basically in his prime. I also think players like Cragno, Perin or even Gollini could be in the squad and would be perfectly capable at this level. Hell Buffon is still very good and could step in for Gigio if needed.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I think you're right in that Sirigu is there for moral support more than anything. He's been in the Italy team since Conte was the manager I think, maybe even before. The three keepers you mentioned are all better than Sirigu for sure, though Meret was a decent choice for 3rd keeper.

Unrelated, seems like the strange choice Mancini made in subbing out Florenzi at half time wasn't tactical, it was because Florenzi was injured. He's going to miss the Switzerland match due to a calf strain.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Di Lorenzo likely to take Florenzi's spot, otherwise lineup is unchanged against Switzerland. Embolo and/or Seferovic are gonna get by Bonucci on pace and I kinda hope they do because the second this team comes up against a better side the center of defense is going to get ripped apart. I really don't understand why Bastoni isn't in there.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
ma che oooo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dio Dio Dio.....bubu

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
cazzo lungo in bocca

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88rVrBzJ88

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Italy were good today. Locatelli is probably feeling as good as he did when he scored that goal vs Juve.

I expect a total lineup change for the next match.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Gigi Galli posted:

Italy were good today. Locatelli is probably feeling as good as he did when he scored that goal vs Juve.

I expect a total lineup change for the next match.

Yeah, and the five substitutes rule encourages trying some more unusual formations. And you're not completely screwed by an early injury if you get to the overtime.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tafferling posted:

Yeah, and the five substitutes rule encourages trying some more unusual formations. And you're not completely screwed by an early injury if you get to the overtime.

I agree in the formations; the 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 depending on who you ask was pretty weird yesterday, but it was effective. I thought Toloi actually did quite well after he came on.

I really hope Bastoni gets a chance vs Wales. I still think Bonucci is going to get outpaced once we face a team with fast forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
cretino