Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Don’t listen to this crazy man who is crazy. Unlike ds1/2, you are basically required to take like 40+ vigor just to avoid basic enemies one hitting you past the capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vermain posted:

radahn and mohg were almost certainly intended to have full legacy dungeons that got chopped for time. my intuition is that bestial sanctum would've been the link down to mohgwyn dynasty proper, since the underground map puts the dynasty at somewhere underneath dragonbarrow, and the sanctum itself is weirdly huge for what amounts to a single room and a scuffed jumping puzzle for two items. it helps explain both dragonbarrow being barren and the odd difficulty spike, since you would've been intended to go there much later in the game as part of a natural north/south duality of progression

I dunno, the Dynasty stuff is only like slightly west of Radahn's arena, iirc. Which doesn't necessarily prove anything but I don't sense a strong link between the two.

Mind you, I still think Bestial Sanctum being a lost legacy dungeon makes sense (hell, for all we know it could've been how we got to Farum Azula instead of the inexplicable teleport from the Forge).

I think another sign of how rushed the area is is the divine tower, which is downright bizarre in how its designed and doesn't really match to anything else in the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though actually I think there's a fair question of whether Mohg was ever due for a legacy dungeon beyond what he got. You've got the whole situation with his model starting as a generic enemy/boss, hence sewer Mohg. And as per the video I posted their plans for the underground seemed different, involving potentially chasing falling Astels underground, one going under Radahn's arena and brushing up against the location for the Dynasty.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 17, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

White Light posted:

These levels are NG+ or further, holy moly :eyepop:

Honestly you should shave down all of your points for Vigor/Mind/Endurance to 30, you can do pretty much whatever you need to with just that. Take those extra seventy points and repurpose them anywhere else you'd need it to be 👌
just actively terrible advice wrt vigor, the only people who should have less than like 50-60 vigor at endgame are people who are experienced enough with the game that they aren't asking build questions in the first place.
like, getting vigor up should usually be one of the first things you do, the idea that someone level 340 should still be neglecting it is nuts.

scary ghost dog posted:

disturbing behavior but im still going to give you advice. choose a stat and leave it at base. theres no build that uses every stat and if you try to make one youre just going to make a confusing build that barely works
They're already over level 300. There's no reason not to have all those stats leveled, with every offensive stat at over 50 they can do whatever the gently caress they want. The only reason you wouldn't normally do that is because it takes forever to reach that high of a level.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rookersh posted:

What's a good vigor to cap at if I want to keep the game a challenge?
I was thinking 25-30ish for Vigor. I'm seeing a lot of HAVE TO GET IT TO 60 online which seems overkill?
"Level Vigor" is a bit of meme at this point. But unlike previous Souls games, the damage output from enemies does scale up a lot higher. So compared to the Souls games, you do need more HP investment just to be able to absorb a hit. And you can't really "out level" the enemy's damage, even with 99 Vig the endgame enemies can still gently caress you up with a single combo.

If you're still hanging around in Limgrave & southern Caelid and are comfortable with where your HP is at, then I wouldn't worry too much about levelling Vig yet.
But I would suggest making a mental note of having at least 40 Vig after Leyndell. Just so you won't get one-shot by everything past that point.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 17, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rookersh posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing the game, and having a lot of fun, but as someone whose got a decent amount of Souls experience I'm also one shotting basically all these bosses in Limgrave. I moved into Caelid and it's tougher, but not by a ton.

I was thinking 25-30ish for Vigor. I'm seeing a lot of HAVE TO GET IT TO 60 online which seems overkill?

You really don't need to get it to 60. The amount of vigor you want is based on where you're at in the game. If you're in the lower-level area of Caelid, 30 vigor is plenty. If you go to the higher leveled area of Caelid, you might get one-shot by some enemies. I like to aim for at least 40 by the endgame, but I also tend to play more ranged-oriented builds.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Rookersh posted:

Rushing 40 definitely take the teeth out of the first third of the game. Once you get one great rune you can take vig whenever you feel like you're dying to any medium guy hitting you once or twice.

I'd cap at 30 until Radahn, 40 until leaving the capital and maybe keep it there if I think I'm hot poo poo but 60 is actually a reasonable standard especially for the end game gauntlet and the optional late game stuff. You can hit it anytime once you've got at least your first two great runes, the game will find ways to kill you from the halfway point on even if you have Vig 99 and go tanky.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

LazyMaybe posted:

just actively terrible advice wrt vigor, the only people who should have less than like 50-60 vigor at endgame are people who are experienced enough with the game that they aren't asking build questions in the first place.
like, getting vigor up should usually be one of the first things you do, the idea that someone level 340 should still be neglecting it is nuts.

I thought all those responses were satire. If you're above level ~120 you should absolutely have 60 vigor by then. Being able to survive after a couple hits is way more important than a minor adjustment to your deeps. You might think you're captain badass and say "don't need vigor if u neva get hit!!!!!!!!!!!!" but chances are you're not some speedrunner who can play the game blindfolded and control it with a dance pad while not taking hits, you are going to take damage.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you can survive with 40 vigor then kudos, you're great at the game. 60 vigor assumes you'll get hit by the worst vig checks including a few unintentional ones like those dragon breathes that linger and chip you five times in a second.

So many bosses in the late game have an absolute catastrophic grapple, or they hit you hard and you get up and want to estus but they have a laser focused estus punish. Do you die to the 1-2 or do they need a third hit?

Also if you pvp with low vig then you are really living and dying by "don't get hit, lol." Mostly dying.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you should just add points into vigor when you feel like you need to on your first playthrough

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The hp returns from vigor aren't flat either. The 13 levels from 27-40 vigor nearly double your hp.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
It's a pvp thing. "LEVEL VIGOR" became a meme around over a year ago or so when the arena was introduced. A bunch of mages who managed to make it through the game with brain-power alone entered PVP, had little to no vigor and got one shot over and over. The videos from that first week were pure comedy.

Vigor 60 is almost mandatory for PvP and even then it sometimes feels like it's not enough - for the rest? Idk, git gud or some such. Haligtree knights prolly gonna one-shot you, so learn those parry windows.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

60 Vig and your best Dragoncrest talisman does give you some pretty good sustain, even going into Haligtree. I think you guys are writing off the utility a two-shot turning into a three-shot a little, if you're even a medium-skill player that's still some handy breathing room in the post Leyndell content

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm sure somebody could correct me with the actual math but I keep picturing a 30 vig wonder getting grabbed once in the last boss gauntlet and saying aloud to themselves "that didn't happen" as they blush and wait for the You Died to fade.

There's stuff you really have to have a flat amount of HP to survive. And again if you really are that good at dodging I fear and respect you.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The HP gains from Vigor 15-40 can easily carry you all the way through Leyndell, turning dangerous content far more manageable. But the HP gains from 40-60 are no slouch either. There's a reason why people whine about damage being so highly tuned in the mountaintops and Farum Azula, their HP is too low. Having that 60 vigor and some decent absorption armor makes it far more manageable.

And PVP wise, here is why getting to 60 vigor is so important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrO3rj0kBHQ

There are risky hard-to-hit moves that deal massive amounts of burst damage. These kinds of attacks are far easier to land if your opponent still has high health, they're cocky and think they can trade into you. Land them on someone who has 60 vigor, and they will switch their strategy around, becoming defensive, and far more difficult to hit. That is where your strategy switches from high variance attacks to safer chasedown attacks to land the last hit. In invasions, that's especially important to land them before they can heal.

The thing is, in Elden Ring, it's far easier to land those high variance burst hits because of the preponderance of weapon ashes. And it's also far easier to roll catch thanks to so many weapons having forward thrusting movesets, and the shorter medium roll distances.

You need that 60 vigor to take that initial burst and give you breathing room to heal. At just 40 vigor, that 1450 HP gets burst down in an instant, there are so many attacks and attack combos that easily deal that damage. Getting to at least 1800 HP or so is so incredibly important for survival in either invasions or arenas.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rookersh posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing the game, and having a lot of fun, but as someone whose got a decent amount of Souls experience I'm also one shotting basically all these bosses in Limgrave. I moved into Caelid and it's tougher, but not by a ton.

Unless you are purposefully trying to sabotage yourself there is zero reason to ever stop before 40 Vigor; it actually has increasing returns up until that point. Anywhere from 50-60 as a final goal is fine for NG.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
of course its technically possible to beat the game without getting hit at all. so its probably not too difficult to beat the game without leveling vigor at all. i havent done it however

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

a shame they didn't fix or at least rebalance how much damage things at endgame do because that was one of my biggest complaints when the game came out

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can someone post the scaling graph for vigor.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

well it's certainly not as dire as the exp graph for pso2 was lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

and as a max upgraded flask heals 810, the returns beyond 60 are harder to take advantage of as well.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rookersh posted:

30 is a solid choice, roll with 25 if you want a bit of a small handicap

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I finished the game with 40 wearing a soreseal, which I think maths out to functionally being at or a little above 30 where incoming damage is resolved. it's doable, a little hairy, some late bosses will absolutely one-shot you but those attacks are all avoidable.

e: I did not remain so low when completing my second two playthroughs, I'll say.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The most fun I had riding the devil's edge was

- Altered Gravekeeper's Cloak to attract aggro
- Dual whips (left whip fire whetblade right one normal for whatev flame incants I wanna cast) + third whip with Raptor ash of war to swap out in the moment
- Claw talisman/Fire scorpion charm/Blue dancer charm/Old lord's talisman OR dealers choice
- Flame-shrouding cracked tear + whatever tear helps juice up the weapon damage scaling best or thorny cracked tear
- Bloodhounds step/Raptor of the mist Ashes of War

You will die QUICK from almost every heavy hitter attack, but you feel so alive when you are cracking a thousand+ damage using basic whip strikes with healthbar goons who just. can't. touch you cause of the trollish nature of the BH step, it straight up melts bosses with those hit-and-run tactics or if you wanna punish chain finishers with Raptor AoW.

White Light fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 17, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

An upgraded medium shield has always worked for me

Foul tarnished using a shield thats why you will remain maidenless.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Uh huh

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Small and medium shields are great! You can put golden parry or carian retaliation on all or most of them.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Regarding vigor chat, mid level players doing co-op with their level 200 wizard friends who never leveled vigor are some of my favorite people to invade. You’re running around desperately trying not to get stunlocked into 2 shot by them, then you finally get an opening and they just melt. It’s always the funniest thing to me.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

Fine, bump it up to 40, he's on NG+ remember? He's got more than enough cheesy spam mechanics to counter whatever the hell the game wants to throw at him WITH the gift of hindsight from his first run, there's no surprises here. Take it to the 60s if you want to during your first run to help counter the mountain of unknowable bullshit, by the second coming it's way too excessive to have that much, skills be damned.

Having 300+ levels with stacked stats and vigor at 50-60 trivializes 90%+ of this game even with the boosted enemy buff damage.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unless you are purposefully trying to sabotage yourself there is zero reason to ever stop before 40 Vigor; it actually has increasing returns up until that point. Anywhere from 50-60 as a final goal is fine for NG.

Yeah I'm purposefully trying to sabotage myself.

My biggest enjoyment for DS1-3 was SL1 runs, I want to be two shot by end game bosses. I just need enough leeway to take a hit and be able to get between bosses without annoyance.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Listerine posted:

What are some good weapons to look at for pure Faith builds? This will be my last character that I park after Mohg in the lead up to the DLC. I've been using cipher pata and the winged scythe weapon I found in tombsward ruins, but would like to keep a lookout for other options as I plod on.

The Bandit's Curved Sword is unusually strong when elementally infused, and only requires 11 st + 13 dex.

You probably want to have a strike weapon in your back pocket to use against enemies like the Valiant Gargoyles, who heavily resist elemental (40% for everything but magic, which is 20%), slash, and thrust damage.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Yeah I'm purposefully trying to sabotage myself.
My biggest enjoyment for DS1-3 was SL1 runs, I want to be two shot by end game bosses. I just need enough leeway to take a hit and be able to get between bosses without annoyance.
Don't worry, you'll still be 2 shot by endgame bosses, even with 40 or 60 Vig. Enemies will scale up a bit harsher then you'll be used to coming from DaS1-3.

There is a respec option that you can unlock in the area after Limgrave. So even you if feel you need more HP, or feel like you've put too much in Vig, you can go back and change things.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't listen to anyone. test your might

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Goatson posted:

It's a pvp thing. "LEVEL VIGOR" became a meme around over a year ago or so when the arena was introduced.

What? No. It's a Co-Op thing from people getting sick of going through being summoned only for the host to die in one shot to the boss.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

40 VIG being the standard in PVE was a thing within a month of release (likely piggybacking off of basically identical advice from DS3), and 60 only became the current standard once people crunched the numbers enough

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

War Wizard posted:

What? No. It's a Co-Op thing from people getting sick of going through being summoned only for the host to die in one shot to the boss.

Lmao pre-nerf Radahn was brutal. I spent more time at the beach outside the arena than ever in that fight. Your typical host died to arrows in around 10 secs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

shields rule

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ulio posted:

Guard countering owns though. CLINK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Playing with a greatshield is good fun because it's surprising the number of enemies that are very stressful normally who you can just bounce out of their combos with a greatshield.

Then of course activate shield crash and bully them.