Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is it possible to look at the map when you're not resting at a grace site? I haven't found as way yet.

Also, has anyone found a shield that doesn't have parry so I can actually use these ashes of War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

goferchan posted:

You can look at it any time you're not in combat. It's the touchpad button on a PS controller, not sure about others.

And yeah there's one really early on from a merchant on the beach right where you emerge from the tutorial cavw

Thanks. I'm using kb/m so I've had to learn what keys correspond to what controller buttons, I'm used to it with from games though. I'll just try every key until I find it.

Edit: someone a few posts up said it's G, thanks.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You can change the button prompts to keyboard in one of the system menus, I wouldn't have known unless someone told me.

Another thing it took me a while to find out is you can fast travel even when you're not resting at a grace site.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Beat Magrit on my second try with the jellyfish, Woop Woop.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wasn't sure if dark souls + open world would work, but having been around a bit now I absolutely love it. To me it doesn't feel like an open world game, it just feels like dark souls finally at the scale it deserves. The amount of incredible and weird poo poo just everywhere on a massive scale is like nothing I've seen before. I need to stop reading this thread now because I don't have the self control not too spoil myself on stuff that would be way better to experience fresh. I've always liked games for the setting and world design more than most, and if this keeps it up it's gonna be one of my favourite games of all time.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Grumbles posted:

Oh, this is a really good way of putting it. I think that's why I'm clicking with it so much - I really loved the fact that the original Dark Souls felt like one big interconnected map, and the subsequent games never really matched that (although I didn't get too far in DS3 so maybe I'm wrong there - anyone?). You always feel like you're navigating through the same place in a very cohesive way.

Exactly, it gives me that feeling of being able to look all the way up to the anor londo wall, and all the way down to blight town and know you can go to both those places, except on a much larger scale.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Does anyone know how to get to those buildings on the thin fingers of land sticking up from the sea just behind stormveil castle?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ymgve posted:

I think there should have been some message from your bonfire girl the first time you die to Margit, about how you aren't strong enough yet so maybe go explore a bit around Limgrave. The signposting forces you directly into his battle early, which I think is a mistake. Alternatively, have her pop up before crossing the boss gate the first time and ask if you're really really sure you're ready for this.

Having come pretty close to finishing the game now, I think that where he's placed and how likely he is to be a wall for early players is completely intentional.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ending spoilers: it's kind of annoying how in the bit between beating the final boss and starting NG+, if you want to keep exploring the erdtree is on fire and everything is smoky and ashy, which makes the zones look like poo poo. I was pumped to find the haligtree but I know it's supposed to look better without the Smoky air. also it locks you out of the Capital if you haven't finished exploring there. oh well, I guess I could just start NG+ and zoom up to there again much faster.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FishMcCool posted:

And that's the game beaten. What a ride.

Ended with the Ranni ending, with thanks to this thread as I would have missed out on that otherwise, since I never ever noticed the option to talk to the doll at graces in the underground sections. That's a pretty stupid place to put that stuff (same with Melina, really) but ah, got rescued by goons and the rest was pretty straightforward. The ending itself was, uh, kinda weirdly confusing. Not quite sure what happened or why, I'll have to read stuff I guess. But I married a witch whose spirit animates a creepy 4-handed blue doll, so burning the world tree was totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.

My only regret, but I'll hack at it now, is still not having beaten Malenia. I got close a few times, but no bananas after banging my head on her for hours. And it doesn't help that my big hammer is affected by the +25 bug meaning that upgrading it would be a downgrade, so it's "only" +24, and I like to think that this little upgrade could be the last little bit of help I need to get through. Defective hammer screenshot below:

Otherwise, I didn't expect so much stuff past the Fire Giant. The crumbled city is surprisingly big, and quite the unexpected boss rush. That Elden Beast fight at the end felt pretty jank, mind. I died a few times to that yellow ball following you while tiny shooting stars hammer you at the same time, but somehow managed to survive it on a sliver of health on the winning run, just enough to heal up and jump back into the fray.

I can't help but wonder how much I missed now. While the map is fully revealed (unlike before i went to the Halig Tree area), some places look like areas of interest, like the coastal city in between the capital and the volcano.

edit: drat, had mangled the spoiler tags, fixed now.

If you go with the Ranni ending, does the whole world still stay hosed up and smoky with the erdtree always on fire? I got the generic ending and kind of annoyed that every zone has ruined lighting now, it really discourages doing anything else after you set the tree on fire. I think there's one ending where you keep it intact, I might try get that one next.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also this game has too many similar sounding names. I'm sure it's all thematic, but it gets really confusing. Godwyn, Godfrey, Godrick. Radahn, Radagon, Ranni, Renna, Renalla. Margit, Marika, Miquella, Malenia, Melina, Malekith, Mohg, Morgott.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Does it ever get confirmed/spelled out that the ruins all over limgrave are fallen bits of farum azula?

Man I wish I could play this game for the first time again. Things like getting warped to caelid by a chest and stumbling out into aeonia, or each time the map gets bigger...

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Ugh I think I’ve caught a disease. I finally solo beat Melania a few months ago and I’ve been missing that fight. Sun broing her just isn’t the same.

I went to NG+ and in a few hours bum rushed to the bottom of the haligtree. Crazy how fast you can skip through things if you just hit the bricks lol. It’s been true for all fromsoft games, sure, but it still felt weird doing in like three four hours what took me a hundred+ first time round.

Anyway, I can now spend happy hours almost beating Melania, making sure to die each time, and I’m going to respec into some weird new builds and see how they do vs her and sun bro as well.

I know it would ruin something in the games but I do sometimes wish from would make boss resets.

I think the Reforged mod has a thing at the roundtable hold that lets you refight most bosses. Never tried but might be worth checking out

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Just started a new run, I want to try an extremely cheesy greatshield and poke build, and just help people fight bosses as much as possible. Already grabbed the great epee which I think will do for a while. I know my shield goals are up to to stormveil to get the manor towershield, then farm a golden greatshield, and eventually the fingerprint shield.

Not totally sure on the weapon front what's next after great epee, or talismans apart from the one which increases guard build. Any good stuff I should be looking out for? Have to try keep in level range for co op as much as possible.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I never used the effigy summoning sign in previous runs, it's a lot of fun, reminds me of the small soapstone in DS2. Helped kill the first tree sentinel twice so far. I'm going to try level up slowly to co op as much as possible. Shield poke build is very cheesy but quite fun.

It feels very freeing when you've explored almost everywhere before and can just run and grab the stuff you need rather than feeling like you need to go into every catacomb and dungeon.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Can you still be summoned to fight bosses you've already killed in your world? And is that the same no matter which type of sign you use?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My co op shield tank build is going well, helped many people. It's really fun using the effigy sign and not knowing where you're gonna end up or what you'll do. Sometimes it's fight invaders, sometimes bossing, sometimes just fighting tough enemies or helping open up shortcuts. Doing all my own bosses solo with no summons, which is much easier when you're a shield tank.

I was thinking while riding around that you skip over so much stuff especially when you've finished the game before, you don't get the same sense of place as the earlier DS games. I thought it could be cool to do a run where you don't use torrent and try to fast travel as little as possible. Basically try and make the whole thing one big journey as opposed to warping around just picking up the items you want. Probably will never have enough free time to try it, but it's a nice thought.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What's everyone's favourite areas for atmosphere? I really like the southern coast of weeping peninsula, the bit of altus plateau from the lift to the outer wall, and most places in liurnia. Also siofra river. Everytime I get to altus plateau I forget how awesome the atmosphere is, just excellent visuals and music.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I love farum azula, it's one of my favourite fromsoft areas ever, but it sucks that you have to burn the erdtree before you go there and it fucks up the air in all the other areas, so I feel like I have to do it absolutely last to experience the other areas without lovely smoky air.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think mountaintops of the Giants sucking as an area is a little overblown, I feel like it's mainly more that it's a dip compared to leyendell where you've just been, and at this point the sheer scale of the game is likely starting to give you fatigue. Your build is also likely pretty solid so you don't feel the need to explore everywhere for items, so it's likely you're just gonna run through to get to the endgame as quick as possible. Especially given the other endgame areas like haligtree and azula are so good, to me it doesn't feel like a rush job at all. It's nowhere near the quality dip that the back half of DS1 has.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I might be misremembering but I don't think they had the big glowing weak spots when you stance break someone at launch either.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I don't mind the crafting system but I wish you could eventually get bell bearings for everything you can craft. Trying to farm up crystal bud to make shield grease sucks rear end, the wiki says the best way is to keep resting at a grace and pick up a single bud near it each time, that sounds extremely tedious, and this game is usually pretty good about not making tedious things a goal.

Consumables are weird in general because if a fight is easy, you don't need them, but if a fight is hard and you only have a limited number, you'll likely just run out and then be back at square one. So if it's at all annoying to farm more, it makes more sense to just go somewhere else and get stronger instead.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think I want to do a run with the randomizer and Diablo loot mod at some point and try and not use torrent. Might be horrible, but might be good.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Well, I've now activated almost every single martyr effigy in the game apart from the ones in azula, meaning I can theoretically be summoned almost anywhere. Trying to keep my level no higher than 85 and my weapons no higher than +20 so I can still be summoned to lower end stuff. I've helped people kill so many bosses and had so many fun moments communicating through weird gestures. One guy kept dropping items for me as we tooled around leyendell just killing stuff. I'm gonna just keep this as a co op character for whenever I feel like it.

Only problem now is fire giant. He shits all over my fingerprint greatshield and poke build, so all my stamina is useless. I think I'm going to break my no summons rule for him and use mimic tear. Trying that with antspur rapier helped me get him down to about a quarter, so maybe I'll be able to get him in a few more tries. Really annoying boss that I'm sure I'll get summoned to a bunch and die immediately.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Darth Walrus posted:

He does? I would have thought a greatshield build would be extremely useful against his massive physical attacks, provided you're smart enough to only raise it when you see them coming. His fire attacks, meanwhile, you can just dodge or run away from.

His overhead shield slam you can't block, and for everything else you have to be oriented correctly, which is really tricky with his size and the camera. It's better to just run in, get some stabs then run away. Second phase is a bit easier.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Epic High Five posted:

One thing I highly recommend with a co-op heavy playthrough is to NOT hit the effigies by gargoyles, Radahn, Rykard, or Fire Giant unless you REALLY like those fights. You'll be very popular among the people who need help there but you personally will be getting a lot of summons where the host dies in a single hit they didn't try dodging

Gargoyles and radahn haven't been too bad, had a pretty good win rate, but I don't mind that much when the host dies, it's usually funny at least.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like doing the random tombs and caves for a change, my favourite part is just having no idea where I'll end up when I get summoned. 90% of the time it's at least entertaining, and sometimes you just have a great time doing synchronized gestures

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I love Godfrey with my build, I can just stand in front of him with my fingerprint shield and he can't touch me. Shabriris woe helps with your host not getting in the way.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Epic High Five posted:

When you say Godfrey, what color would you say best describes the form he appears in

I just realized which one you meant after posting, wrasslin' Godfrey will just powerslam me shield and all when I get up to him. Should be fun.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Should work ok, don't summon any human players because then you won't be able to use torrent. Watch for his one shot attacks in his second phase.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I kind of like how killing most things in this game is completely optional, especially in the overworld. It can make it seem less like a game where you have to defeat the enemies to win and more just exploring lands with extremely hostile flora and fauna that it makes total sense to leave alone. Also love the environmental storytelling done with just what clumps of different enemies you find in the overworld.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Can't see a Lords of the Fallen thread, but I've been playing it and the start is a bit rocky, but once it opens up it's got some of the best world design I've seen, on par with DS1 in how massive and interconnected everything is, and the verticality of it. Definitely recommend giving it a try.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Silynt posted:

The exact opposite of my experience. The joys of finding and understanding the convoluted and interconnected world are what made DS1 my #1 all-time game for years afterwords. I still bring up the DS1 world design when people ask what makes a great game

Same for me. I really recommend checking out Lords of The Fallen, once you get into it, it'll give you that ds1 feeling again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Saw an interview that confirms that the way to start the DLC will be to Touch The Egg, as suspected. Also have to kill Radahn, not totally sure why. Am I right that you can get to Mohg pretty early through Varre's quest? Also sounds like you can travel between the new land and the existing one at will, and there's a separate progression system which will hopefully make it difficult no matter how minmaxed your character is when you go in.