Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I have been bouncing off commander niall or oneail or whatever his nuts are, the one in Castle Sol.

I have bounced harder off him more times than the fire giant, astel, the gargoyles, combined at this point.

gently caress him, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh I've been using summons I just suck, gonna have to try bewitching branch tho. My full level banished knight has been holding his own but everyone else melts to that loving room clearing aoe.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

I'm so conflicted about summoning. I've beaten everything FROM aside from Bloodborne and the dual apes & Isshin in Sekiro without summoning or cooping or whatever, when available. Now I've had to rely on tears for a few bosses in this and I dont like it. Banged my head against Maliketh for 15 tries or so before finally summoning ol' mimic and getting him on the first try. Feels like cheating.

It's not cheating, it's the game making you suffer in a different way.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay from an in universe perspective what's with the npc invasions

Like, when Millicent first invaded me I hadn't even met gowry or been to the plague church. Why is the baleful shadow an invasion. How come some invasion characters happen multiple times and others gently caress off after one.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
IDK if this has been pointed out before but I've been theorizing based on the guy way, way early in the thread talking about how Fire has been banished and kept away in this world and given that the Rot can be held back by the fire monks and the fire wall in parts, who are shunned and relegated to the far reaches of civilization, the erd tree's fear of fire is going to give it turbo cancer and kill it anyway. Given that a very easy spell completely cures you of rot if you just allow flame into your life imagine the fight with the Rot backed by the full power of a god. Maybe all the outer gods are in a rock paper scissors situation

Also what the gently caress were the fire monks doing in Liurna? who invented those flame throwing heads?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Valentin posted:

I hadn't ever thought about this and it's a nice little bit of gameplay/story synergy for the incantation tagging. similarly, there are no spells for rot, and the carian academy seems to be pretty much sinking into the lake of rot below with no way to stop it.

shiiiiit hadn't thought about that piece of geography.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
incantations requiring faith, not spells. i made the same mistake in my original post.

another thought, there's a few lines of Sellen's about how sorcery is based on the amber of the stars and people forget that, plus I don't agree with the people saying her goal was to turn into a headball star baby. She would have preferred to end up like Lusat or the other one, very obviously turning into a metamorphic star baby herself.

And what happened to Selia, did the rot gently caress it or was it screwed over beforehand? and why are their nox swordmistresses there just kind of hanging out? were the sorcerors in selia talking to the underground star worshippers?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

hazardousmouse posted:

wait, when does the teleporter to the isolated divine tower activate? I've got the rune to power up there. wth

I ran into this issue too, I think, did you get the trap teleport there? I teleported to the site of grace and killed the golem and couldn't get the teleporter to work, but heading there via the actual lift did it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

CYBEReris posted:

there's a few where it significantly changes the appearance of an item, i.e. alberich's hat becomes a wrapping

and it loving rules

Find me a cooler hat. You can't. I'm level 120, switching between haligtree and crumbling farum azula as I poke forwards to try and get to the end, and I wear it constantly with the carian knight body armor. Looks sick as hell with my Helphen's Steeple greatsword. Also don't sleep on that, it rules.

Also I finally found the non-varre way into the bloodland area and I just realized that all those red albinaurics were blue ones fleeing as refugees to the haligtree before they got intercepted and corrupted somehow, very sad seeing that small huddled line of them near the entrance.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My weird-rear end half take on Melina:

She's kind-of sort-of part of Ranni. Ranni's body died, her soul lived. Ranni's doll has a permanently closed eye the opposite of Melina's. The Finger Maidens, based on the whole Hyetta thing, appear to posses dead bodies or are the person reborn. Melina was supposed to take over Ranni's body but couldn't which is why she isn't a true maiden and appears to be mostly bodiless. Ranni is definitely tied to the assassins and Melina has their move set...

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

So I don't know if this was posted but I find this fascinating, some guy on youtube has tried to translate the Latin lyrics in a number of the boss themes and it seems like it wasn't just random singing, they actually give a lot of background that fits the characters (turn on closed captions for all of them).

Here's Godrick's, poor Godrick, even in his own badass theme song he's still considered a big massive loser feebly attempting to assert himself, it even ends the piece with him throwing a hissy fit about Malenia and promising to get back at her next time, just you watch, he won't hold back this time, and also the sun was in his eyes the first time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg-ihOyyJKk

Here's the certified best song in From Soft history, the Godskin theme, where they rather straightforwardly sing about how much they love killing gods and peeling off and wearing their skin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbsH88AZzK0

Here's Radahn's theme, where the main focus of the topic is that Radahn is an earthquake inducing monster that his soldiers absolutely love, unfortunately Malenia's rot hosed him up so somebody needs to put him down with honour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRHGeQxheg

Finally, a bonus is that he also translated the Deacons of the Deep theme in Dark Souls 3 (which is also a great song BTW, stop saying Dark Souls music is unmemorable!), which is mostly about Aldrich and his intention to end the age of fire in favour of an age of the Deep, with Gwyndolin offered up as a sacrifice to ensure his power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X9-aPhj3AQ

Obviously there are some caveats, the translator says his Latin isn't the strongest, its hard to make out the individual words from the rest of the sound, and apparently From's overall use of Latin is a bit amateur, but I still find it really interesting.

Well this is cool, thanks

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wait what is this malekith is Marika's half brother who are the parents here

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay, I feel kind of bad about making Godfrey go Full Horah Loux if that was how he did it. Dude could've just like, sent the lion somewhere else!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

Yeah, Vyke even has one of those silent ghosts to build him up but wasn't all that even with only having encountered Madness for the first time just before meeting him.

It is pretty cool there's a dead maiden right behind him with details on how maidens are associated with a single person, so I assume that was Vyke. I didn't see anything on their relationship or why/how she died though.

if I remember correctly there's some implications dropped that he got to the point of "now sacrifice your maiden to burn down the erdtree," decided that was horseshit and found the three fingers to try and avoid losing her, then either went mad and killed her, she got merked by somebody else and he lost his last grip.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
also is Fia both a baldikin and a tarnished? She gets namedropped

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

How is Fia a bed canopy? Maybe deathbed companion is a mistranslation for deathbed canopy then?

I don't think mistranslation so much as deliberately obtuse. Her job is to constantly give warmth and comfort.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

White Light posted:

Why does Margit the Fell show up twice in this game, and why does he spawn twice in this game? Feels weird seeing him as a wild spawn in Altus Plateau this run when I haven't even encountered him the first time round.

You may or may not realize the answer after you encounter Morgot for his boss fight (I did not and had to have someone else point it out)

(Remember how ranni introduced herself as renna the first time around?)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

Started a randomiser run.

Those Who Live In Their Mother's Basement are hunted by the Golden Order as abhorrent.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I started as astrologer and then around level 100 switched from rock sling and axe to two int scaling great swords and it owned

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I found the sentry torch on my own, looked at the item description and immediately went "hmmm this sounds like it will be useful later" and merked both assassins on my first run through ordina

I then proceeded to die twenty times to those loving archers

I gave up and looked up a walk through video

the guy used a shield

I literally had not used shields in my entire run through and forgot they could do things or existed.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
ABCJ: always be chilling at jartown

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm going to do some spitballing on maidens

So obviously, right from the get go you are Maidenless and reminded frequently of that. But who else even has a maiden? All of the ones we see in game are, as far as I can tell, dead or unattached to a particular tarnished. Also, does being Tarnished always mean you get a maiden or is that just some of them? And do we really have a firm grasp on who else is Tarnished?

Some examples: Nephali Loux is absolutely a Tarnished. So's Rogier. Neither of them mention their maidens or the lack thereof.

Knight/Recusant Bernhal's gear makes mention that he was a brave tarnished until his maiden threw herself into the fire. A) the hell does that mean and b) the logical assumption would be that this was why he went bitter and recusant after seeing someone he (presumably) cared for killed in the service of the machinations of the greater will.

Vyke's another one where he's definitely tarnished, absolutely trod the same path we do, and also his maiden's dead after he went with the frenzied flame. Did he kill her in his madness? Did she merely die when the greater will realized what he was up to?

Roderika is going to the castle for use as grafting material. I'm still not sure why this is something many people apparently willingly sign up for, and also does that mean she's tarnished? It's mentioned multiple times that tarnished are hunted for grafting purposes. Roderika also mentions that you're heading to stormveil castle enticed by the one in the white mask, and how "that makes two of us." so was she exiled from home and found her way to the lands between and then sent on like we were? And again, if she's tarnished where's her maiden?

It's frequently speculated that the dead maiden in the chapel was supposed to be ours, backed up by the message we find in front of her, but we don't have proof. It's also speculated that Varre killed her based on the fact that he's waiting outside where we eventually wind up and immediately knows, but how would he know we'd wind up in that area when we start in the chapel? And everyone immediately knows we're maidenless, it's not a secret. Is that where all tarnished start and if so how? they don't al get a ride from torrent presumably. Varre probably killed his maiden based on the initiation for bloody fingers but we don't know.

Was Godfrey's maiden Marika? Did Goldmask have a maiden? Gideon? Dung-Eater? Hell, Fia gets called out in the opening cutscene as a tarnished! Does she have a maiden?

so many questions

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Bernahl’s maiden is a cut character where basically all we have is her playermodel and the Japanese subtitles. she was at one point supposed to appear at Smoldering Church. She’s horribly burned because she’s realized that the point of the Tarnished’s finger maidens is ultimately to be kindling, but she doesn’t know how it works, so keeps trying to burn herself, you had to hit her with flame incantations as part of her quest. It’s kind of messed up and you can see why they just skipped to her being dead for the finished game.

https://youtu.be/sqaq6iZZ9Wg

Roderika does seem to be a Tarnished, I’m pretty sure she says so explicitly at one point. But on the other hand, her hood specifically says that she has never seen the guidance of grace. :shrug:

how do they make the call of what is too messed up lol I just fed a bunch of eyeballs to this random chick who may or may not be a dead person and then she incinerated herself

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh he absolutely did but also we see the dragon and we see his (very probable) dead maiden

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay looking at the crimson hood says that roderika never once saw the guidance of grace. Did her companions? Why does she call them chrysalids, because they're being turned into something different? Seems heartless. The navy hood says that the person wearing it had no choice but to go, having seen the guidance of grace. Did that dead noble in a ditch come from the same place?

Okay refresh my memory, were the maidens supposed to be guiding the tarnished instead of the grace that most can't see or assisting the grace that some tarnished can?

Also why are even the few who can see grace still called tarnished?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Polaron posted:

Speaking of the Bell-Bearing Hunters, what is their deal? They're all the same guy (that guy in the poison castle), right? So why can they keep invading after you kill him?

Time gets weird with invasions and summons. This happens multiple times with multiple NPCs and is never commented on. Alternate universes or time travel

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
that's what I did with that apparition of Margit lol I was already riding like hell to get away from someone else and saw the subtitles pop up, just went NOPE and kept sprinting

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Organza Quiz posted:

Aw the Margit apparition is fun though, you can fight him on your horse which makes getting out of the way of his attacks way easier than having to dodge the exact correct number of times for the combo he's doing.

that was my first playthrough when I started astrologer and hadn't fully internalized the fromsoft philosophy of "you can absolutely run past the scary huge things, but you can also absolutely charge at them screaming" I'm looking forward to it now because I have a new character and a NG + game going and I just took down margit first try on the new character lol

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

One thing I find funny about Leyndell is that, assuming I have the timeline correct, even when the Golden Order was at the height of its power and prestige they still just left a gigantic dragon corpse draped over the city and never bothered to move it.

Hey. Buddy. You ever tried to move a dragon up some stairs?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
okay I've been thinking again

Corhyn is dressed like the exile prophet starting character, which means his poo poo was deemed heretical. Yet, he is also the golden order's a#1 fan boy without fully understanding it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

He's a huge moron whose entire purpose is to be the sobbing loser that convinces you that Goldmask is actually onto something

well yes, but why is he dressed as a heretic. I mean do we even see any golden order priests that aren't naked heretical turtles of some kind

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
They didn't make her move because they thought no one would be so monstrous as to actually kill the dying mother dragon guarded by her tiny children

Now that they know they'll patch in a boss fight at some point

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

iirc Elden Beast is somehow weak to godslayer incantations so black flame tornado ash of war is drat great. Of couse pest threads because it's physical damage spam.

It's a god, why wouldn't it be weak to godslayer poo poo.

I started a new character rather than moving on my ng + and I just went and immediately got a pickaxe and now I'm singing "I've been working on the railroad" every time I kill the gently caress out of a knight enemy.

I also finally understand why people hate those loving falcons

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
They don't like godslaying, they don't like blasphemy, they don't like free will, gods are kind of lame.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm just into Nokron and looking forward to the cartoon about staring down its giant angry balls.

So my experience with those was oddly horrifying because I figured out the one on the bridge would chase you, but I dodged it and got to the doors after a stressful bit of running. Got very smug congratulating myself only to hear the doors close, turn around, and see what I thought was the same ball that had somehow glitched through.

Hard to put into words but that was the scariest death I had in elden ring and I was oddly relieved when I worked out what was actually happening

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

I'm trying to think of one memorable boss from this game and the best I can do is "the one I rode away from for 5 hours and then one shotted" or "uhhhhhhhhhh"

loving commander o Neil and his goddamn twin

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like that theory, but it fails to explain the eye mirroring between Melina and ranni

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Latenna was supposed to lead them there but that plan got interrupted when Gideon's men raided the village and killed her dog.

and then the frogs got intercepted by Mohg's people and were led to the bloodland, becoming bloodfrogs.

Also I wonder how the Haligtree soliders became able to explode, ashes are a little vague.

"Ashen remains in which spirits yet dwell.
Use to summon the spirits of four Haligtree soldiers.

Spirits of common soldiers who carry the sacred light. When weakened, they explode to deliver a last-ditch attack.
This was the bitter revelation discovered by the desperate soldiers who awaited the return of their lord to the rotted Haligtree.

May the flash of our deaths guide Miquella's return."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
only if we can befriend a lion spirit to permanently hug us and then gain the ability to murder it for massive bonuses to unarmed combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there any more discussion of the lesser erdtrees and why they exist?

Also my personal theory on renalla and raya lucaria is that the reason all the sorcerers wear those glintstone crowns is because they have essentially trapped themselves in stasis. It's not the erdtree it's that they all have done they juvenile scholar thing so much they have completely lost their sense of self so they use the crowns as a ready made set of instructions and skills. Thops wasn't shunned because of his lack of skill but because the current sorcerors are fundamentally incapable of understanding or developing any new sorcery that is not known to the lineages.