Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The lamest possible complaint I could imagine for this game especially after watching that trailer a dozen times.

Seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's evolving...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sekiro also made a single parry far less impactful than DS/BB parrying though, if anything I thought Sekiro had it best because it removed the excessive risk of Dark Souls' shield parries and the excessive reward of Bloodborne's gun parries, it's a standardised mechanic that's relatively simple to land but only pays off from mixing them up with your regular offence or parrying whole combo strings

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Lol same, I have a horrible track record for games I get crazy hyped for(Cyberpunk/Anthem). I was hyped for Sekiro and that delivered so I'll still trust Fromsoft.

Btw Miyazaki in the Japanese Famitsu interview said the game is easier than Sekiro and difficulty is closer to DS3 just cause you have so much options. Also he is implying you can swap weapon artes to any weapon so you can get like the dagger shadow step while wielding an axe? Not sure if he means exactly that but I guess we will get more info on Bandai's stream tomorrow.

Also this is their biggest game and you can't ride horses in Co-op but can roam the open world.

I think building it up to be the ultimate game of all time like Cyberpunk is bound to lead to disappointment, but Miyazaki has yet to miss once and the game has had plenty of time in the oven so taken on its own terms I expect it to still be an extremely good game. Just go in expecting Big Dark Souls and I doubt you'll be let down

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

punished milkman posted:

excited for elden ring to join the extremely small roster of “great open world games. i think that list is basically just botw and death stranding right now

Also Morrowind

This'll be Dark Souls 4 and Good Open World Game 4

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Parrying dogs is the best, the deathbed comes out immediately and the whole interaction finishes in about .25 seconds, looks sick

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Sekiro has the somewhat unfortunate quality that fights take longer the worse and the more scared you are, to the point where not being aggressive enough can basically condemn you fight some enemies forever (or until you figure out what the game wants)

It's not like Isshin isn't telling you the entire tine

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No thank you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

2019 was a hell of a year

We all died so many times playing Sekiro it gave the world Dragonrot

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I remember when that annoying streamer dsp, notorious for being terrible at these games and blaming the controls, beat isshin his first try. Think he just brute forced it by spamming the axe and got extremely lucky lol

No way

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

https://youtu.be/XSRJGXUMBCs

Was sorta misrembering. Starts at about 40 minutes. It was actually his 4th time fighting isshin proper (he dies to genichiro a couple time too). But he beat isshin the first time he got to isshins 2nd form with the spear. He actually played it quite well! Got a couple of mikiri counters. Then the third form he just ignored the lightning and spammed axe lol

All the same, if DSP can do it without CheatEngine I don't know what anyone else's excuse is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i've been calling elden ring "hakuchi 4"

lmao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The cursed brew also references the skull being forcibly examined for eyes. The eyes are a metaphor for expanding consciousness and very literal

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

acyclicity posted:

Yeah, I never understood the complaint that DS2 has too many armored knight bosses. Those are the most fun to fight. Ivory King, Fume Knight, and Sir Alonne are all pretty good.

There's a clue in that you just listed three DLC bosses

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

acyclicity posted:

Fair enough, though I also liked The Pursuer (the first time, at least) and the Velstadt fights. Don't get me wrong, DS2 has some of the laziest boss design in the series. I just don't think that's due to the abundance of humanoid knights. It's mostly because of stuff like "Hey, let's make the player fight two copies of the boss they already fought earlier" or "Here's a worse version of a Dark Souls 1 boss" or (my personal favorite) "Literally a Room Full of Rats: The Boss".

Yeah I'd agree with that, the nadir for me was Coveteous Demon which looks like it should be a legit fight and then is just ... nothing. If anything the DLC actually makes the knight theme pretty good between Fume & Alonne

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The rat mob fight was their best use of the copy paste tool in the game, that at least was an entertaining gimmick with a funny tell for the real boss. Certainly better than gargoyles x4, dragonriders x2, ruin sentinels x3 or any of the spam elite mob encounters

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fighting one Ornstein in DS2 did illustrate why they leant on the c&p tool in that game because they had no other ideas on how to make a boss hard other than that or setting HP/damage values to 999999999

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtjSDV-3ZaI

No new footage but alot of new info and elaboration on previous details

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Fairly confident thats scottish

Nah that's Irish

The one that really puzzled me was hearing Super Eyepatch Wolf pronounce the R in RPG as aur, guess there's still some ancient celtic mysteries left on that island

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

I keep getting the feeling that a lot of the game might feel a little too familiar? By which I mean, not terribly original when held up against previous FROM games. I hope I'm wrong.

Something I think about now and then, do you think a RPG like this but with a contemporary setting would be possible? I guess it would have to be mostly guns for weapons then wouldn't it? I suppose you could point to Shenmue which I've never played, but something with a lot of combat like a Souls games, can you even envision it? Its something I've always thought would be cool to see.

If you have no standards The Surge games are right there. And Elden Ring sounds like it's Breath of the Wild X Dark Souls, which is about all I could ever ask for in a game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I kinda have to question the depth of that, he admitted he hasn't done any work on Elden Ring in years. He even went so far as to confuse it for a direct Dark Souls sequel.

I think he just recognised it as a direct follow up for all intents and purposes, which it definitely seems to be

It seems like a good balance overall, it seems like you'll have a rich tapestry of background lore from GRRM and then the weird ambiguous and slightly sinister scenario writing we all know and love from Miyazaki. After all, what is a From game without a disquieting implication posed to the reader at the end of a paragraph?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am going to book an entire six days off of work to play this game, have not been this hyped for anything since BOTW

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're not building a gigantic open world and six separate Dark Souls sized megalevels in it as well, that's stupid

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm going to be devastated if this turns out to just be Ubisoft Open World Game: Dark Souls Edition

The previews so far have said it definitely isn't, more the BOTW style open world where you can see something interesting in the distance and then go there and explore it, no shopping list of quest markers in sight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's the fun kind of scary when you get the invasion message and you don't know who's coming at you or where they'll be attacking from, it's a very organic and dynamic type of gameplay we used to fantasise about before this type of experience was possible and I really don't know why some people get so bent out of shape about them playing a game you're meant to die about 200 times your first time anyway

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you're good enough at Souls games that you can complete them solo and never need help you've basically "aged out" of the intended experience. they're supposed to be brutally unfair and then become manageable when you work together. having two helpers and then an enemy loving with you is totally in that spirit

This is extremely incorrect. The games are meticulously designed so that combat can always be completed without taking damage (very rare gimmicks like the profane nobles aside). Playing co-op is a valid way of experiencing the game but it's clear a huge amount of work went into making solo a challenging but entirely achiveable task, which is where most of the series' rabid fan base comes fron

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Keep yearning. I borrowed my brothers PS4 and I just cant get into it mainly because it feels like shoving this thing into my eyes

+ From Software's magnum opus, legitimate claim to be one of the best games of all time
- Looks a bit rough for a PS4 title

Yeah it's a tough one alright

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

The game play in DS3 feels great, but gently caress I dreaded PvP in that game. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because it took for-loving-ever. Oh the invader is losing? Good thing they have 12 estus flasks to heal up. Oh, they are out of flasks? They will just run away for the next 10 minutes.

PvP in DS2 felt the most interesting to me. There was great weapon variety and the limited healing was great. DS1 was super memorable and charming, loved the poo poo out of that game.

Every time I got invaded in DS3 I just chugged every flask I had in front of them, 95% of the time they got the idea and did the same and we had a short and sweet honour duel, fixed that issue nicely

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is what I'm hoping for

I mean ... he has to be in it, right??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It just occured to me that the promo art tarnished character is the spitting image of the bloody crow of cainhurst, quickstep confirmed??

Vikar Jerome posted:

leaked trailer his voice actor was in the leaked vid doing the whole narration. ohhhhhh you tragic thing

haha yes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

Isn't quickstep already confirmed because we know basically all weapon arts from DS3 are in? Seems like one of the most important inclusions.

Might actually be good this time too, was never impressed by it in either PvE or PvP.

I meant the good quickstep

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It certainly looks like some herd animals. That would actually be a cool twist for a Souls game, seeing a living world which isn't just in a state of baroque decay

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

idk if that's real, i didn't see a poison swamp

lol it's a 30 second clip and there's a swamp full of dead trees visible on screen for a good part of it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

People glowingly call Souls games 3D Castlevanias but they don't want recycled animations?!?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also the delay is good, January is too close to christmas and I don't want to blow that much holiday so close together anyway

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

I am going to do what I always do on my first playthrough which is pick the most melee class possible and forget every button other than attack and dodge and make the game much more difficult than it needs to be, but it will also be the most sweaty try-hard and rewarding journey.

Heck, same

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

roomtone posted:

what are these screens from?

That's DS3 and its expansion

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That was an incredible presentation and the game looks absolutely fantastic, but for some reason the thing I keep fixating on is that bloodborne quicksteps are finally back!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Volte posted:

People don't like Darkroot Garden? :wtc:

Not a fan myself, but it seems stupid to compare to a game built around actual open world design princibles and also dense, intricate classic From levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Any ideas if there's a day/night cycle? The map says "early day" in the lower right corner, would potentially be interesting although it precludes some state changes due to player actions (looking at you Bloodborne blood moon).

Yes that's confirmed