Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it normal for enemies to just all be sleeping? I have gone through a few dungeons where about half of it is sleeping monsters. I have also had this happen to random giant trolls in the fields and after smashing them to half health they finally wake up.

I went through Castle Morne and about 30% of the mobs were sleeping. The entire last stretch before the boss was me just back stabbing mobs left and right. No aggro.

Not complaining really. Free, easy runes. But it happens a lot in my game I find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I have been playing this game like a high fantasy entry in the MGS series so I guess that checks out.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Is it the same giant bear that is by the southern end of the lake? Because I am on my first playthrough and he seemingly came out of the ground out of no where near the path and then literally ate me after bodyslamming me.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I see a cute one in the Mistwood sharpening his claws on a tree.

I should pet this bear c/d?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Wait, you can break those little hag statues and poo poo?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So I am very new and don’t read the spoilers in the thread really but is a chariot also that rear end in a top hat thing in Fringefolk Hero’s Grave?

Can I get rid of that stupid fucker?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Hi. I finally defeated the golden knight right outside the tutorial area.

Felt good.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

ive never fought that dude below rune level 100 and its become a rite of passage to go back and ruin his poo poo once i realise ive got a fully functioning build going on. if i ever manage to beat the grafted scion in the tutorial area i would feel obligated to just try him on on principle but im not very good at souls games

I did it at level 35 with the wolves as my allies and I felt smug as gently caress. Maybe that's cheating since I had help, but I am playing my first character, a classic sword and board vagabond. Sword and board can be loving brutal in this game...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
My biggest lesson for this game was to be patient and deliberate with your strikes. After I took out a Night’s Cavalry in Limgrave and only needed two health flasks, I felt very accomplished and confident. Like finally the game clicked. I even started to get the hang of parrying.

You CANNOT spam your attack, even sometimes on the weak guys. Sometimes fights are just going to be long and you will only have a 3 second window to strike and that window opens up after 12 seconds of dodging, hit-and-runs, or kiting, etc.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So I finally reached Godrick and welp. Getting rocked. I am a vagabond.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

godrick is a good design for an early boss, really intimidating but if you're observant you notice he gets stuck finishing a lot of really long animations even when they have no hope of hitting you

Killed him this morning. The game is clicking and now it is off to the races.

I DID use a summons after 4 tries, but still :colbert:. The one thing I like, aside from the art/design and environments, is the gratification you get after finally getting a victory.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 12, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So I was venturing in Liurnia of the Lakes and made it all the way to the three sisters after going through the castle there. I realized Liurnia is still probably too hard overall as I got totally rocked at the Village of the Albinaurics and I also didn't get too far at the Academy. I decided to go back to Limgrave and see if there were things I missed and thought I would 'farm' my way up in a sense to make Liurnia easier. I ended up killing that dragon in the swamp absolutely no problem at all, and I also found out that you can basically farm trolls on the south ledge of Stormhill and I did so as a way to practice killing them. I ended up also killing that big bird boss thing when it spawned on me. All of this without dying.

Feels loving good.

Oh I also have almost completely switched to two handing my one handed longsword and am trying to learn how to really master the stance breaks and strong attacks.

Any other tips? I am trying to decide on what kind of Ashes of War to use (if at all). I think the ones I have are maybe mediocre at best, if not straight dogshit.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

sebmojo posted:

There's an alarmingly good chest in a cellar near agheel the dragon

gently caress you I found out like 2 hours into the game and I still have nightmares. I literally trust no chests to this day.

But just like image links on this forum I open them anyway…

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am phone posting but I got that lantern already, and I am using sword and board with a vagabond, but recently fell in love with two handing my longsword.

I have been using Stand Off but I forget to use it or am afraid I will whiff it due to distance or gwt struck in the meantime. I have tried to master parry but I fear most enemies won’t be affected by it (read: bosses).

Also it is crazy how good the heater shield is even from day one.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I have Sacred Blade I think (phone posting can’t check, but it is this golden one where you raise your sword up high and gain holy damage) but I don’t have the FP to use it and I don’t want to dump into it since I have been splitting between HP, Stamina, and strength.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah I just use it to summon the wolves as they seem to be 90% on point for everything. I used the jellyfish once but that stance break/attack interrupt that wolves do is crucial. Also three targets helps with crowd control and aggro management.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
If you can’t tell, this is babby’s first Souls-like and I know I am a year late but I finally can spend some time to play it and drat it is good.

I am getting the hardback volume I special guide soon and also preordered volume II.

I literally want it just for the lore and art. The art in this game is amazing. The set pieces are crazy good and the seamlessness of it is fantastic.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

verbal enema posted:

My favorite places in the game is where there is just a chair somewhere outside. Like someone lugged a chair onto that stupid high bridge in cold land and that kicks rear end

Also that desk/ workstation outside the library by the water wheels is the coolest spot in the whole game

Yes. My favorite is those dudes that are on the ledge sitting down in a chair or whatever and they are just dead. Aside from the “try head” variants of messages, I feel like those guys are extremely :same: in vibes.

75% of my own messages are just “ahh, bliss” and similar on great views.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also (sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with multiple posts) I am now finding that mounted combat is worse. I used to use it as a way to cheese and easily disengage but honestly it is easier sometimes to just duke it out and use those a-frames.

Perhaps put that in the OP? It was maybe an okay tactic at first but it is deleterious overall.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The Virgin Tarnished vs the Chad Demi-God

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there a canonical reason why wolves randomly fall from the sky? :allears:

I thought it was hilarious that it happens repeatedly.

Uh oh, it’s windy! Wolves!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I got the nice big hardback strategy guide and it is a pro buy fwiw. I can’t wait to get volume II with the entire beastiary.

I wish I could read a novel about this world. I refuse the acknowledge the manga.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I hope the expansion adds a great hammer where the head is a whole other hammer

Ah, the ol’ Tears of the Kingdom approach.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Just learned about the Living Jars' hidden refuge of Jarburg.

Of course it's named that. :dadjoke:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I unapologetically cheese difficult foes whenever I can. I don’t seek it out, but if they get stuck behind a rock due to pathing and I can shoot arrows at it with impunity I loving will. :colbert:

In fact, I see it as an earned right and obligation for how this game can treat you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Every time I see them / kill jars I feel like I am slaughtering Kool-Aid Man.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Did you get the introduction letter from Selvius?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
How do you guys make ”builds” around specific weapons? I am around level 54 and have done all of Limgrave/Liurnia and I am only now getting “sets” from questlines (Rogier’s, Ensha’s). I have the Grafted Sword which I need 1 more level up of strength to fully use.

Like, I have never seen a Zweihander or any armor really worth it over my starter (I have a dead wolf helmet).

Am I just playing this game wrong and looking in the wrong spots? Or is this all some new game + thing you can do after you have beaten the game and min/maxed your poo poo?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am going to get my STR to 40 so I can hit that Colossal Weapon category comfortably. Then towards the later stages I might throw a few into improving casting if only to have access to buffs/resists and more powerful Spirits.

A vagabond can have a little a faith/int, as a treat.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 17, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I would like to see that warrior mage class of Tarnished they cut from the beta that is on the box and all the pre-release footage.

I realize there are other classes that kind of replaced it but he always looked badass.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So I am kind of doing a completionist run/take in the regions I have “done” now that I have really started to “figure” this game out (it is my first Soulslike) and I just discovered how multiplayer is easily one of the best runes/hour methods that is also fun. I just got 17k runes in 20 minutes by helping dudes beat a dungeon and also kill Renalla (again). Hella easy and no doubt the summoner was happy about it.

Not to mention it being a Rune Arc farm.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 19, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
What do you think his dick looks like?

Haha just wonderimg i would liek to see it

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
After having discovered the quick leveling of coop, I believe I am an expert at killing Renalla, and I did her alone the first time I faced her. I think my kill count is somewhere around 8-10 times now. It is nearly the only instance I get summoned to.

A fantastic and easy way to earn 10k runes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

War Wizard posted:

Careful about using those extra runes too fast. If you overlevel yourself for the next area you could end up missing out on even more jolly cooperation. I'm sitting on some 2-3 million runes from co-op and I've mostly maxed out on every consumable I can buy.

I am level 64 and I am just now discovering Caelid without making GBS threads my pants (my first time was that portal trap in Limgrave). I figured that was an appropriate level? I can take on the dragons fairly easy but if I am not careful I get rocked.

(I still have PTSD from that trap. I trust no treasure chests.)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
:drat:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am cake.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Godfrey fucks.

Radagon sucks.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am really looking forward to the Elden Ring Guide volume II and I hope it has all the ridiculous relationships and backstories and poo poo of everyone.

Would be cool to see concept art, too. Like, I am going to read this book like a novel.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Hey

gently caress the Godskin Apostle. It can eat my whole rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Oh yay finally was able to get a friend to help and I beat it!