Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

This fuckin game is goddamn incredible.

I keep hitting every single chest I encounter, expecting mimics. Yet to find one, but I'm 0/2 on chests sending to places I do not want to be. I love to hate being trolled like this

How does the Samurai rank as a starter compared to everything else? Two handing his sword is pretty fun, but blocking with it does not seem as good as previous games.

Hard to tell if I'm struggling or merely wandering into places I'm not ready for yet. I usually just give it a few rips then go somewhere else

btw, even though the attack animations do not change, going out of your way to two hand your weapon before you call your horse will give you more damage on horseback lol

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I take back what I said about Samurai feeling a little weak, got the starting weapon to +4 and it feels a LOT better. That youtube guide is very useful

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

This game got waaaaay easier once I decided to take all of my armor off. I feel dumb for not doing it sooner

Just don't get hit :smugdog:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

BasicLich posted:

this is how i felt when I was going through the starting area (which, by the way, was where I had to stop because I've done everything short of reinstalling windows to stop the black screen bug) I was beginning to find myself standing still and waiting for them to attack so I could pull off a sick counter and that just feels like a complete waste of time

If it's any consolation, every area you're experiencing that bug brings my 3950X/6900XT to its knees while it becomes a stuttery mess at any resolution/combination of settings (when I can maintain >50fps at 2880x5120). There's only 3-4 problem spots, but not being able to see at all would drive me mad!

It looks like you've been pretty comprehensive with your troubleshooting, here's to hoping they sort it out sooner than later

E: I will also admit I'm playing the ~horse name~ torrented version with the framerate unlocker and the FOV boosted 15%, but that made no difference on/off. I'm buying it tomorrow, hoping I can get away with transferring my save just to avoid having to redo those bits

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Finally starting the legitimately purchased version of the game, wow is the beginning a lot easier when you actually remember to take off armor to be Light.

It's a shame these counters stop at 4 digits, I'd like to see 7 at least

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I feel like endurance pumping is a little better than previous titles. You can get a surprising amount of resistances and poise while still staying light!

I've got my Uchigatana to +11 I think? Spent most of the day hunting down Smithing Stone [3] & [4]. I do wish they were a little more bountiful before they become unlimited

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Idk if a +15 katana is "over upgraded" for high 40s, but I've been absolutely demolishing everyone that summons me in PvP.

There's no like, documented matchmaking method right? We have to use trial and error to figure out if weapon level has an impact on who you can get matched with etc?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Help, my thumbs are chafed from playing so much :negative: it hurts to use an iPhone

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

No I'm using an xbone controller on PC but even typing my phone's passcode in is painful

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Excuse the washed out HDR screenshots, but this made me laugh

:eyepop:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Is there a table/spreadsheet with the scaling values/multiplier ratios for the weapons yet? Trying to figure out how much effort is worth putting in to hunting down Smithing Stone [5,6,7]

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah you don’t need upgrades if you use blunt weapons. Those crystals have poo poo poise so they go down every two hits so keeping them contained in a loop is pretty easy

If you have a non-blunt weapon that's upgraded (a little? I don't know how much it takes), a wound up heavy should delay/stagger them enough to get a second follow up heavy attack in, which will break their poise allowing you to crit or light attack for the last bit of health.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Katana-users: how good is Nagakiba's range? I somehow missed it. I have visions of dual wielding. Apparently when dual wielding with it in your right hand, it will roll catch in PvP, which is sufficiently dirty for my needs.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Okay wtf, Yura isn't at his camp in Limgrave. I already killed the invader in the river. The summon sign on the bridge by the academy isn't there, and he's not at the 2nd church of whatever. Did I gently caress this up somehow? :ohdear:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Pretty great, feels longer than a spear most strikes. Also the Bloody Slash is great for catching PvP rollers.

How the gently caress did you get it?! I think he's bugged for me. Not at the campsite in Limgrave, already killed the dude in the river. He's also not at the academy or the 2nd church so I'm confused

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It's funny for making big stuff fall asleep & off cliffs

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Hey you can drop items for friends when you're summoned right? Does anybody need anything? I'm happy to give up anything I've snagged so far in exchange for a Nagakiba or two. Maybe an Uchi if you have one to spare :3

My Nagakiba quest is bugged and I'd really like a little more length to match my girth iykwim

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I figured out how to unfuck the quest for the lomg katana! Homeboy was waiting for me just past the blood goop outside Murkwater Catacombs (the first Bloody Finger you fight is a bit further down this river). After that, I was able to be summoned at the Academy and then follow up at the 2nd Church of Misra or w/e.

Unfortunately I do not like the heavy moveset as much as I was hoping, it does not have any hefty horizontal slash. But dual wielding is extremely :hellyeah: Time to upgrade it a few times and see how PvP goes

:eyepop: this is rad

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:five:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Do the passwords also apply to Invading? If so, which one of you is pig? Had an interesting series of battles tonight. When I saw that their weapon prevents flask use after a few hits I knew I just had to go for it, thankfully they had no Vigor

first battle
second battle
third battle

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The first password is for co-op matchmaking, the 5 below it are for messages and bloodstains (this is where you should put LLJK).
Passwords don't affect invasions at all, although the co-op password probably affects red summon signs.

Thank you, I've been doing this wrong. This should go in OP if it isn't already

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I've been really insistent about END dumping and staying Light, it's trivializing a lot of fights. Especially once you stop falling for the 9,000 year long windups this game loves to use. The roll speed & distance difference is just enough to get an extra light attack in vs almost getting away with it.

E: I think I'm at ~30 or so and still have 21 poise and a heap of resistances

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

This duel was a real rollercoaster, my first 2v1, in a poo poo area. Goldie had some hefty armor so I figured there'd be health to go with it, but when the first blood slash hit I was surprised that it almost killed both of them! 484 damage? C'mon y'all get some vigor. Are we SURE we know how the level ranges work? This character is at level 63 or so with a +14 weapon and I've yet to meet anyone that had more health than me.

I know the playerbase is of split minds wrt PvP, but as someone who somehow hates fighting games but loves the poo poo out of this: so far I think the PvP in this is the best iteration yet. It's been a while but the last few times around there have been certain combinations of rings/armor/weapons that were just outright better and would be what you ended up facing 9/10 times. I didn't mind that because the mechanics were still interesting, but the variety I've been seeing from everyone so far is really impressive.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

let me introduce you to my good friend Bloodhound Step
also im pretty sure poise does nothing during bossfights anyway

Blood Slash >

It definitely helps, as I've invested into it I've been surprised more than once by what I was able to tank w/o being knocked over or interrupted.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

Has anyone math'd out if quality is worth it? It seems like with a few exceptions requirements don't go all that high, I'm wondering if respec'ing and setting either dex or str as high as possible and just getting the other to the requirements of whatever weapon I use is more effective?

The fextralife wiki has tables if you want to minmax that hard, but it seems to be wrong more often than not so ymmv. As a katanahaver, I've been very content only getting STR to 16, dumping DEX and using Quality/Keen below the +15 range so far. I suspect there's a threshold where with enough STR a single heavy attack might do enough poise damage but it's of dubious use for the most part.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

Yeah makes sense. STR is I think more important than ever because poise is so important against the combo heavier bosses.

I'm honestly not so sure, you'll get there anyways provided you can string a few jump attacks together, or know the boss well enough to get off a fully charged heavy or two. That said I am exclusively two handing my katanas so far

Last PvPost of the night, just showing some of the variety I've run into.

I'm assuming the horizontal/vertical slashes are separate weapon arts in each hand?
Big shields seem good
Immunity Frames from Prattling Pate "Hello"?, I had spent a solid 5 minutes dueling this person earlier, before getting my first disconnect of PvP (which is why I let them get back up)
I have no idea why this guy got on the ladder

I'm really thankful the weird stuttering bullshit does not seem to happen in PvP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Honestly Radhan wasn't that bad, got em in 5 tries. I keep falling for perspective tricks in these games, getting bonked with the moon, and now this?!