Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OxMan posted:

In Armored Core the real curse that followed humanity all the way to Mars was greed and unchecked capitalism/corporatism.

For the curse of life, was the curse of want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've just started out and I'm having an issue where the game will freeze and lock up if I turn the camera too fast after some enemies have aggroed. I've turned down motion blur a tad to see if that helps, but I haven't been able to find anything online.

Experience is good so far. I followed the critical path for a bit and beat up a guy with horns and a big staff, that gave me enough souls to actually level up :toot:. Now I'm backtracking and finding a whole bunch of hilarious stuff like one of those pawing cat statues, but with a great sword, and a giant lawnmower that I've decided just owns that narrow bridge, you can have it gently caress you.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

FROM have been making essentially the same game for years. Darks Souls was the one to hit it big due to the technology finally catching up the ambition, the formula getting refined to the point it appealed to more people, the wide availability, and crucially it hit at a time mainstream gaming was in a deep rut of extremely easy, streamlined and shallow games. There was a lot of chance in Dark Souls being the one that broke out and had a few things been different we'd probably be talking about things being like the Demon Souls of x.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 19, 2023

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You kick down the ladder on the bridge after the Taurus demon, and it leads to the bonfire in Undead Burg. You smile and nod. Yeah that's pretty cool.

You go into the elevator in the undead church and it leads you right back to Firelink Shrine, and you should be cheering and clapping like a circus seal. That's when you realise this is something special.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Televisio Frankus posted:

Try Shadow Tower: Abyss, it has a very unique setting and you start with a gun before moving to melee, and then back to bigger guns.

Seconded. It's also a really quick game and is a lot more player friendly than the King's Fields. If you're going to give old-souls a whirl it's the easiest entry point.

The currency system is really neat in particular. You trade blood (health) for items, and you can really only heal by potions so you're generally trading healing for something you really want. Potions only heal you to your maximum, so you've doing a weird min-max thing trying to spend as much of your blood as you can before healing. Also, a side effect of all this is that you can only buy something really expensive if you've boosted your hp high enough. It's a really neat system.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just done beat Godrick. I never once dodged his grab attack :cool:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

A lot of the previous complexity was just fiddly and didn't actually result in any interesting decisions for the player to make. Complexity isn't interesting unless it results in a player being able to make satisfying choices.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair killing a god in From universes isn't really that impressive. All you need is a sharp bit of metal and some good timing.

It's hard to see how a smart and patient gamer isn't a god's worst nightmare.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This is the truth, but I had a sudden fear people may not have been familiar with the source quote and it's a masterpiece so https://www.reddit.com/r/copypasta/comments/atjapr/dark_souls_is_proof_you_can_beat_up_a_horse/

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is an entire functioning university that is still actively studying magic and in open war against two separate factions within the Lands Between.

Last time I was there the scholars were picking through the dirt next to crabs also picking through the dirt.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Like was said earlier, all I really want is a little more tangible plot in the way Dark Souls 1 had a more tangible plot.

I wouldn't say DS1 had a tangible plot at all. Sure, a talking snake told you to fix everything forever by setting yourself on fire forever, but that's the surface plot that serves as layer 1 of the onion of lies. We've got a reasonable feel for what's "really" going on, but that's after years of arguing and pouring over item descriptions and even then it's not settled.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I like that New Vega and Elden Ring have fundamentally different methods to tell a story. Neither is the right way and they both largely succeed in what they're setting out to do.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm on my first playthrough but to be honest the spoilers are so disconnected to the context that I have that they're just gibberish. Oh the Yellow Flame Fartknocker is secretly in league with Drezzelbech Aucharchy? Okay.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Best part of the Zwei is the R2 slam interrupts enemies it lands near even if it doesn't hit, it's insanely powerful. There isn't a shortage of big stupid hammers tho so don't worry there, strike damage is just really strong in these games

The 2-hand R2 knocks most humanoid enemies on their rear end. It really is absurd and let's you cheese every knight in DS by chain slamming them.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think I'm getting near the end of my first playthrough, and thought I had hit my first significant wall for a while in Maliketh. He was tearing me to shreds, but then just... exploded one playthrough. I hit him hard just before his transformation which also caused a hemorrhage. Ok, great he has a lower health total going into the hard section. Dodge his first attack, and my next swing causes a stun, and my critical hit knocks him down to low health. Just a few dodges more and I won. I was mentally gearing up for that guy to take several evenings to beat.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I steam rolled Margit on my first playthrough, but then got walled by Godrick for hours so I couldn't get all smug about it. Hadn't felt that weird about getting stuck on a boss since when everyone on the internet talked about Gwyn being easy while he was chokespamming me and breaking the Lordram long jump record to stab me across the kiln.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I was loving about in the sewers and followed the directions from some messages in front of a weird door, and well it turns out something wasn't a metaphor and I'm in trouble if I want to stay married to my moonwife.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

War Wizard posted:

Lol. You have to kill the hardest boss in the game now if you want to fix it.

I was loving about because I had just bounced off her!

I'm just going to munch my remaining runes, optimise my build, and face to violence for the weekend.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Doomykins posted:

in awe of how many people bite the bait on the hook

MAY CHAOS CONSUME THE WORLD, HA HA HA HA HA

"Seems trustworthy." :buddy:

I just opened a door and got grabbed! My only crime was trusting a message written on the floor, and if that's a crime then everyone who tries finger but hole is too.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

War Wizard posted:

Lol. You have to kill the hardest boss in the game now if you want to fix it.

Well thread, I did it. Then I opened up my inventory and realised I had the Sore seal on the whole time :doh:

I thought she was hitting pretty hard.

Now to actually beat this drat game.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Congrats! Honestly maybe wouldnt have made a difference. Every attack she has is either 60% or 400% of your health bar, what's a few more one way or the other in that situation?

Yeah I don't think I like the glass-cannon bosses as much as the old fashioned boss design. I don't feel like I learned Malenia the same way I learned Artorius, Fume Knight or Gael. I got good enough to dodge her basic attacks and punish her enough to DPS race, but the super attacks were so damaging it felt like there was a large random element to surviving and they were too rare to properly memorise.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

And that's a wrap. Radogan was a great fight and solid end boss. Elden Beast should have been more of a King Alant non-fight, as something that desperately needs someone else to fight for it. Good spectacle, but bad fight. Now to resubscribe to vhati and work out what the hell just happened.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

If GRRM had written it, the whole game would have been about a hosed-up family with loads of incest and every major character's name would have begun with one of the initials of his name as a power move.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The trouble for the Souls and Elden Ring is that the value proposition for parrying was generally trading "definitely beat this guy with zero damage" for "maybe take a big chunk of damage, but beat this guy cooler". Outside of the silver knights and Gwyn where it was generally never worthwhile to risk parrying, and buy them you'd gone through almost all the game getting your dodge rolls perfect so why learn a new tactic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

War Wizard posted:

Using the Dark Silver Tracer to nearly one shot Gwyn with a parry is totally worth it. And he's surprisingly easy to parry. Probably the most lol worth parry in the game.

I wrote that sleepy, sorry. What I meant is that Gwyn is one of the few worth parrying, and it's an incredible feeling to parry his opening world long jump attack when you enter the kiln.