Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

speaking of whom, i'm glad i decided to follow the tl;dr NPC quest checklist someone posted earlier. without that or an ingame journal i guarantee that i'd miss a whole shitload of storytelling, not to mention succumbing to choice paralysis re: where to go; and since it doesn't tell me where specific locations are i'm still getting a dose of exploring in anyway

I'm trying to get over incessantly reading guides and spoiling the game for myself so that doesn't sound good for my run, lol. Oh well, I guess there's always a chance to try again if I ever reach the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Vermain posted:

you can just stick golden parry on any ol' shield and that'll work, and it's actually preferable because of how much its active hitbox fucks with the spear variant's swing. pretty much as soon as their hand starts moving out to stab it'll stagger them

i've been using it a lot more this run and it makes some of the game's more tedious bosses a lot more bearable. godskin noble went from its usual painful exercise to a reasonable walk in the park once i got the timings down and didn't have to deal with all his usual bullshit

You can't have parry and your weapon skill on at the same time right? I've been sticking with the brass shield I found in the beginning because it doesn't interfere with the sick backflip from Bloodhound's Fang, but I feel it might be good to branch out.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a question for fellow keyboard touchers, what hotkey did you set sprint/dodge/jump? my muscle memory has evaporated.

I'm a scrub who hasn't finished the game yet, but I think I have default settings. Jump on F, spring/dodge on space.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

PvP in Elden Ring is just less fun across the board. Pretty much every change they made relative to DS3 made it worse.

The only really positive change I can think of is that Elden Ring's version of the faith enchantment that saves you at 1 HP when you would normally die has a duration instead of being indefinite, and that only really mattered at level 100+ in DS3 anyways.

The only time I dipped my toes in PvP in DS3, it had such horrible latency that it killed any interest I had in it. I'm thankful that I've been able to play Elden Ring entirely single-player, no invasions in my chill adventure thanks.

(I still don't know if you actually can get invaded without using any of the finger items, but I'm guessing not since it's never happened to me!)

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like I ought to start considering a respec, figure out a more efficient build. I've been playing as spoiler-free as possible, so no looking up builds and weapons, running around Caelid with a bloodhound's tooth +7 with an even spread over str, dex, vigor, and end. Been picking up a lot of weapons requiring Int, so that seems interesting to put some points into as well, but not very *efficient* to be spread out so much.

Edit: probably also gotta start thinking about armor, I just tried the BIGGEST possible (and Carian Knight looks badass), but I can't wear the full Radahn set so my fashion is shamefully shot atm.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 22, 2024

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Do you have to invest heavily into faith etc to get any use out of those abilties? It feels wierd to have so many memory slots (and dragon hearts) kicking about with nothing to use them for.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

lol I can't believe the game pulled another 'nope, the map is EVEN BIGGER' when I took a teleport and got a view of farum azula.

Am I ever gonna finish this game? Signs point to no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

No Dignity posted:

Elden Ring actually gave me a new appreciation of the fairly tight, compact 30 hour Dark Souls games. Game you can actually complete without taking annual leave

Looking at my 60 hr Dark Souls 3 play time on Steam, only getting about halfway through the game probably.