Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up, she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew.

That passage is great but the thread about the books have broken many of minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People like exploring the world and finding cool stuff.

Hell that’s the whole appeal of BOTW and that world has nothing intersting in it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

codo27 posted:

Dark Souls is not hard and declaring yourself unable to complete them or requiring cheats is exactly the same as being an old person claiming they cant change the input on their TV

Why do you care

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I’m not sure what having NPCs marked would ruin the experience or whatever people have convinced themselves.

But souls games enthusiasts tend to be kind of weird if I’m honest

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

1stGear posted:

It's also likely that some new players don't understand what quests are in the Souls sense and how having a traditional quest log would undermine the experience.

I think the vast majority probably don’t even realize quests are a thing unless they like look it up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Now, let me tell you about Code Vein...

Code Vien rules, it’s janky as gently caress but unlike souls games they made magic actually fun to use

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The last few open world games that i kinda didn't get into had too much poo poo going on on the screen. I think GoT was an improvement in the genre but for the most part, less poo poo on the screen is better.

I mean those games the markers only exist to give you more busy work. They aren’t really giving you any vital info

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Augus posted:

my first impression of code vein was pretty bad but I powered through the first few areas to see if it gets better and as it turns out it actually only gets worse as you play, fancy that

Sounds like you suck at the game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Some bits overdo their welcome imho (Anor Londo or whatever it's called), but otherwise it's absolutely one of the good 'clones'. The art is neat, the ridiculously oversized weapons are magnificent, the build system is amazing, and it makes for some solid combat. I'm just incredibly underwhelmed by the (lack of) fashion. Very few clothing/armour options, and veils are limited and generally ugly.

It was definetly not a game with a very big budget. So there are stuff that feels cheap

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is a positive review :ssh: The first half is a bunch of complaints and then it flips it around and says "despite all that this game is loving incredible"
(it's still an extremely dumb review for all kinds of reasons and makes sure to go "But everyone remember that I had complaints!!!" at the end)

I’m still kind of confused so he’s saying that the areas marked on the map had stuff in them so that makes it like an Ubisoft game? Is he saying the stuff itself is filler or just having points with content like an Ubisoft game?

Because those aren’t necessarily the same thing but they can be

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Okay reading it I understand the complaint, the map seems to have ruined the sense of exploration for him but I don’t think he understands that. So a reviewer failing to understand his own opinions seems bizarre

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Appoda posted:

Getting weirdly upset at Waypoint reviews is a time-honored tradition. Like lol, she just had a pretty normal experience of "this is great, and here's some things I didn't like" and half the thread gets into video game culture wars.

I do think some things she said were a bit nonsensical. Though the map ruining things is something this thread has said before (in fact today)so they can’t get to mad at that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lid posted:

They are and now im deeply troubled about posting it at all :/ the last thing i want is capital G Gamers going TLoU2 creeps. I was just looking at the review itself rather than the reviewer.

This is a dead comedy forum I’m sure that won’t happen

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Appoda posted:

Here's the thing, I'm sure there's a bunch of nonsensical arguments and observations in the 1000 other gushing reviews, but those aren't going to get any actual criticism because they fit in with the group think. I dunno, I think it's fine for people to come to weird conclusions, or even :gasp: be wrong about video games.

It's whatever. If internet weirdoes want to get mad about a video game review, that's their hell to make for themselves I guess. I fear for Renata's sake because she's a gay lady and hoo boy, do gamers not like either of those things.

I'm psyched for magic that might actually be good/fun in a From game too, though for the same reason I'll probably save the mage run for a second playthrough. I just hope spears and polearms receive their rightful place as Factually Best Melee Weapons. :colbert: Or at least weapon viability for non-swords is better than it was in DS3.

I mean you should never freak out over a review but this is pretty mild so this just seems like a pretty big overreaction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There is no way I would ever think that what is he on about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You know I didn’t think From fans could look worse than melting down over Sekiro having multiple difficulties but someone this obsession with writing things down for god nows what reason is worse.

If that idea seriously makes you mad go outside or something Jesus

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why embarrass yourself like this.

Your the guy posting that idiots Twitter.

I thought your were doing a really weird bit but you turned out to be serious.

How pathetic

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

From fans earning their rep as the most tedious fanbase I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This thread is reminding me of 2004 video game discourse so at least it’s nostalgic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

acksplode posted:

Hey buddy. You lookin forward to Elden Ring?

Yeah it looks pretty cool, shame about the no logs thing, I will have to wait for nerds online to do it for them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

acksplode posted:

I'm gonna play it at launch and figure stuff out on my own but hey! You do you. It'll be a fun game no matter when and how you play it.

I mean if it’s like any of the other NPC quests I don’t think I could. From loves having rather tight triggers for NPC quests (or at least one tight window) and I would never trigger that on my own

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

missing NPC quests and other content is good because it means you get to play the game again

Nah I don’t replay a game after beating until unless years have passed.

That sounds awful

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

ok, sorry sounds like this game isn't for you then

What? I literally don’t have to.

I get you have a very specific image of this game in your mind but it’s not really that and thankfully I don’t have to play it like that. It just involves some unnecessary extra steps

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

you seem pretty upset about having to do it though. oh well, enjoy elden ring

I am upset yeah it’s kind of tedious when there is a much more convient solution that people who want a more authentic experience could just ignore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

acksplode posted:

You could just ignore Elden Ring. And this thread

Nah I’m good if I don’t post them it’s just weirdos masterbation to themselves and that’s no fun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Have you ever played a Souls game? Because this is how quests have always worked in those. They are obscure, you probably won't find many of them on a first playthrough without a guide, and you definitely won't complete many of them on a first playthrough without a guide. Many players will finish the whole game and have no idea they even encountered some side quests. These quests aren't "content" that you will "miss" without a quest log and pointers, not in the way that side quests in Skyrim or The Witcher or Horizon would be.

If that sounds bad to you then give this a pass for your own sanity.

I have I use guides for NPC quests generally. A log wouldn’t change the game it would just make it easier to cut out the middleman

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

You clearly haven't been on Twitter (which is good and I recommend not going on Twitter to all my friends)

Twitter is all about making even the tiniest thing into the biggest deal possible

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Man I have some bad news if you don’t like nerds but post on SA

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What’s funny about this whole discussion isFROM does do QOL stuff just pretty slowly so I wouldn’t doubt it they made a new game it would have some log making this whole thing pointless.

Monster Hunterwent through its own version of this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Put it on a toggle is the most tedious poo poo for game suggestions. Never happens. And it shouldn't. The souls games crude approach to experiencing the world is a deliberate choice.

2004 thread energy indeed

This post is gonna age well when bloodborne 2 or whatever adds a quest log

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JBP posted:

I wish the game never came out so this thread could have remained positive and fun to read forever.

The game hasn’t come out for most so it will settle down once people have something to play

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Interesting if true, although I'll miss being a lunatic that just rolls around enemies all the time

I mean you can roll if you want to

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Going from the first real boss to the sun boss next door who gets stunned if your hit connects is some whiplash

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s extremely funny that PC is having so many issues and I’m having zero on my base ps4

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Having a scripted invasion to introduce the mechanic is good.

Giving him a bleed weapon is something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Khanstant posted:

rba starblade said he did margit at level 2 as wretch

It’s possible people were saying the pontiff was a roadblock in 3 but he didn’t seem that hard when I fought him so I doubt the experience is universal

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vermain posted:

there's been a weird asynchronous arms race ever since dark souls 1 - and now extending into elden ring - where enemy moveset complexity has increased astronomically while player tools have increased to slow, unwieldy weapon arts and not much else

for a point of comparison, bosses in nioh 2 have the same kind of complex, multihit attacks and shifting between combos, but the player character in nioh 2 has a huge moveset with any individual weapon and highly responsive controls to respond appropriately to any situation with sufficient player skill, while john eldenring still has an input buffer that clears slower than molasses in january

But then your playing Nioh and who wants that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I didn’t really care that much for Sekiro so them ignoring that is a plus for me.

Hopefully it stays dead

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Appoda posted:

Me. Nioh 2 fuckin' ruled. There was so much more give and take to the fighting, and you could be really creative with your weapon choices and combos. I liked that there weren't many i-frames to the dodges to encourage doing poo poo other than trying to abuse dodges for everything.

It had some warts (so many enemies have a bullshit grab attack... And once you know what you're doing you can really roll up a lot of bosses), but man, it felt good to aim a bow or a gun and it didn't just clip onto the ledge at your feet or stray wildly from your crosshair.

Well good thing it’s a game that already exists keep it over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Was fighting some undead when a dragon swooped down and killed us all.

At least we all died.