Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question for anyone who played the network test or whatever: is Elden Ring any easier/harder than previous Souls games? Was watching something today that mentioned that Elden Ring made Shields more viable, which made me think it would it be a bit easier. However, I also watched the video Iron Pineapple made, and he said the boss you fight towards the end of the demo is super tough.

Iron Pineapple also said that the game takes some cues from Sekiro, and I've not yet played Sekiro. Should I check out Sekiro before Elden Ring? I'm playing the Demon's Souls remake right now, and with Elden Ring scheduled to release in two weeks, I don't think I'd be able to get it and beat it in that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Did you already buy Elden Ring? Then you'll find out in 2wks like the rest of us.

Did you not already buy Elden Ring? Then you have time to play through Sekiro!

I have not bought Elden Ring, but I thought about pre-ordering a physical copy on Amazon for PS5. I could buy it for PC, though (have to check the system requirements).

Like I said, I'm playing Demon's Souls Remake right now. I've made it to the point where I could fight most of the end bosses for each world, but I thought about going for the platinum, which would require another run through NG+ and NG+2. I though maybe I could do it before Elden Ring came out, but it depends on what I'm able to get done in that time. Alternatively, I could drop it after beating the game normally and buy Sekiro.

lih posted:

network test felt like pretty standard souls difficulty, but with a pretty wide range just in that early area. a lot of minibosses weren't too hard, but there were some bigger bosses in the open world that were much tougher, and the main boss of it (margit) was very difficult. i was also pretty out of practice with souls combat and didn't play enough to really get a feel for it so ymmv.

i've seen a lot of people say the network test maybe too easy generally, but reports from the final build are that the game is a little harder than the network test overall as all the item placements & enemy drops etc. have been modified so you generally have less resources starting out than you did in the network test. the devs have also said that margit was too hard in the network test so they've tuned his difficulty.

the big thing compared to previous souls games is that bosses aren't really roadblocks in the way that they used to be. if you're struggling against a boss that's too hard, you can just go elsewhere and level up & gain resources until you can put up more of a fight. it sounds like it's intentional that you can just stumble into areas & bosses that are way above your level, in a way that wasn't really the case in previous games.

sekiro rules & there are some mechanical influences in elden ring (mainly jumping & stealth) so you should absolutely check it out at some point but no need to rush for it immediately.

I guess the reason why I've been hesitant about Sekiro is that (aside from it not going on sale for as cheap as I'd like) I've been told that it a lot more skill based than Soulsborne, and that it's substantially more difficult as a result (it banks more on parrying attacks). That said, I've heard that there's some tools in the game that help ease the difficulty.

I guess for reference, I've finished all the other Soulsborne games. I haven't done the DLC for DS1 yet, and I only did parts of the DLC for DS2: SotFS. I've 100%'d Bloodborne and The Old Hunters, Demon's Souls Classic, and DS3 and its DLC. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging; I'm just putting that forth for an estimation of how I'd fare in Sekiro or Elden Ring.

If I bought Sekiro, should I get it on PS4 or PC?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

codo27 posted:

You know what I couldn't beat, was the extra 1v2 battle at the end of Nioh. Only tried a few times because it just seemed impossible

The Oda Nobunaga and Yuki-Onna fight is very hard, but what I did (and what I think you're maybe supposed to do) is wait until you've replayed some of the missions on Way of the Strong, and start getting Divine Gear to give yourself more of an edge in the fight. Maybe that's more of cheese tactic, but the DLC was the same way, where I could not beat the first boss of the DLC until I had gone through Way of the Strong and got some Divine Gear, and I think was designed with NG+ in mind.

Maybe a loaded question, but is there something wrong with FextraLife? I know it's not the best wiki out there for game info, but I'm curious if there's some other issue with the site that I should be aware of.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Aipsh posted:

https://twitter.com/EldenRingUpdate/status/1492164630273216513?s=20&t=SaUm1GicdPdlQCgMzdtjNA

Retailers have them in warehouses now, except full leaks imminently. Raise filter shields

It looks like the system requirements got taken down, but based on what was posted I've got a i7-4790K and 1070 GTX, so that meets the minimum requirements.

I think I'm still going to go with the PS5 version, though, since Demon's Souls is the only game I have for it at the moment, and if the recommended requirements are higher, my system might not handle it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Spoiler: The final boss is actually just a scene where you find Hidetaka Miyazaki and George R. R. Martin dueling over the character changes that were made. You have to make a choice as to who to assist, like with Pate vs Creighton in DS2. FromSoft will record the results from the first month of play, and depending on who gets the most support, either Miyazaki will announce Bloodborne 2 gets announced, or Martin will finish the Song of Fire and Ice books within the next year.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't believe that the Elden Ring was Halo all along

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Halo is the Chaos Bed. A terrible mistake created by trying to imitate something irreplaceable in a medium unsuited to it.

Maybe this is meant to be :thejoke: but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBTMhG2_00

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I started Elden Ring today, and played for about three hours. Made it to the gate where you fight the big enemy who jumps down from above, and beat him after about three or four attempts. Of course, I found out that he respawns, so I decided to venture out elsewhere.

It was a little awkward at first having the 'use' button mapped to Triangle, and there being a jump button, but I've gotten used to it. I died to the intro tutorial boss, and I'm curious as to what happens if you're able to beat him. I thought the game map seemed kind of small, but on zooming out, it occurred to me that there are other sections that aren't revealed yet.

I went with the Warrior class, because I wanted something that had points in INT so I could try and use spells (though it sounds like spells might not be that good) and the Moonlight Great Sword (since I've yet to do a run of Soulsborne games where I use the MLGS). The dual scimitars hit pretty fast, but to fight the big enemy by the gate, I wanted to try and find something that hits harder and had more range. I just platinumed the Demon's Souls Remake roughly a week ago, and by the end, I was alternating between the Winged Spear and the Claymore. I thought about seeking out a Halberd (though the Halberd seems to differ in its moveset from game-to-game), but I don't really know where to go to find weapons in general. I got the Lordsworn's Straight Sword from an enemy drop, and a Greataxe I can't use from one of those wagons being pulled by the two big enemies. Any place I should go to find gear, or where I could get runes to level up?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

School Nickname posted:

Do lighter shields have better parry windows?

Perhaps? In DS1, one of the small shields (the Target Shield, I think) had an extra couple frames for the parry window. Dunno if that ever carried over to other games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So after ignoring ER for a week, I started it up tonight and tried to make some actual progress. I've made it up to the first (?) boss, Margit. I can handle the first half of the fight pretty well, by keeping at a distance, and baiting out the leap attacks and punishing. However, the second half (or second third?) is what I'm having trouble with. Margit gets way more intense with the number close range attacks, and I can't seem to dodge them all. I've only gotten him down to a quarter of a health bar once, with most other attempts fizzling out after hitting half-health.

Could it be that I'm too low level? Here's my current stats:

code:
Level 18
Vigor - 13
Mind - 12
Endurance - 14
Strength - 14
Dexterity - 16
Intelligence - 10
Faith - 8
Arcane - 10
I'm using the starting Scimitars, both upgraded to +1, and I think my issue is that I'm not doing enough damage. I found the Halberd, and upgraded it to +1, but Margit seems to be more resistant to piercing attacks. I don't know where to look for more Smithing Stones, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There's a ton of +1 stones in a cave full of miners NW(?) of Agheel Lake. But you need blunt weapons or magic to kill the miners. Slashing is no bueno.

I picked up the flail (which I think is blunt damage) but I don't know if I have the stats to use it. Regardless, I'll probably pick up a few more levels in the process of getting more upgrade materials.

-

Here are some general things I wanted to comment on in the time I've put into the game so far.

• Horseback combat feels pretty forgiving at this point, where you can get a hits in easily, and enemies whiff their attacks as you dash away. I fought a big giant statue thing you find off the path to the castle that had half its health gone, and I took it down just by waiting for it to attack, then running in with Torrent and whacking its legs with the Halberd. Even the viking looking guys on horseback are relatively easy to take down, as you can dash or double-jump away from an attack, and then retaliate. I imagine there are enemies later on that are more difficult when fighting on horseback, though.
  • The one droning music track that seems to play when exploring gets kind of obnoxious, and I'm wondering if it changes when you reach new areas.
  • I realized thanks to some tweets that I completely bypassed the combat tutorial (the Cave of Knowledge). For whatever dumb reason, I took it to be some kind of area you visit later where there's a more difficult boss (the dungeon you start out in seems to have stuff you can't access at the start). Been doing fine for the most part, but I feel like I should go back and do it.
  • I haven't visited any of the gaols littered about, which I take are the dungeons people have mentioned. You're directed towards the castle, so I figured that was what you should do first, but maybe I should visit the gaols before going back to fight Margit
  • One of the things that irks me about the game map is that while you can leave markers, you can't write notes. I know that's kind of petty, but since some of the various merchants have different stock, it'd be nice to write down something like 'has battle axe' or something to distinguish it from other markers.
  • I haven't really messed with Weapon Art Ashes of War. I completed that fort area off to the southeast, and got one that gives you a bloodswipe that does bleeding damage, but I don't know how useful it is (also got that medallion half from the fort). I also found the guy in the shack who sells Ashes of War, and I think I bought the Kick, but I haven't used it.
  • I'm really curious as to how much of George R. R. Martin's input on the story/setting is represented in the game, and how much is crafted by FromSoft. For example, I saved Iron Fist Alexander, who is a giant sentient jar with arms and legs who got stuck in a pothole, and that feels very much like something FromSoft came up with. Things like the Round Table feel more like something GRRM came up with, but not being familiar with GRRM's work, I wonder if he came up with some of the more unconventional stuff.
  • Speaking of, I like the Roundtable as hub. Having attacks disabled is really nice, because it feels like FromSoft realized that potentially ruining a playthrough because you set the controller down and accidentally hit R1 and hit the blacksmith wasn't fair. One thing that puzzles me is that there were player messages talking about doing gestures in front of the door, which I though was necessary to open them (you can see gaps through the doors, where there seem to be more messages. However, doing a few gestures didn't seem to result in anything. Is it something you have to wait until later in order to unlock?
  • I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but from I've gathered, this game has the same sort of issue as DS3 where you can easily mess up quest lines if you don't do things in a certain order.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I finally found the mines in Limgrave where you can get Smithing Stones. I collected a bunch of stone, beat the troll at the bottom of the cave, and upgraded some of my weapon. However instead of upgrading my Scimitars to +3 (which was recommended to fight Margit), I decided to go with the two Lordsworn Straight Swords I found (though I messed up the selections, so one is +2, the other is +1), and I used what was left to upgrade the Lordsworn Greatsword to +1. I wanted to experiment a bit, but when I went back to the mines, I realized the stones didn't respawn like the plants do, so I might have screwed myself over.

I tried going to one of the Evergaols, and found out that they contain boss fights (or at least the one I found did). The boss I encountered was Crucible Knight, and I tried fighting him more than a few times, but he killed me pretty quickly, which to me indicates that I need to wait to fight him (maybe after Margit).

Last night while playing, I met a guy named Haight on top of a ruin, and he tasked me with liberating his fort. I had already run through the fort, so he told me to meet him there to become a knight, which I thought was maybe an introduction into one of the game's covenants. However, when I got there, he went, "Yeah, things are messed up, so I got a go find someone else." I'm guessing there's more to his questline.

I went back to the Roundtable HQ, and I used the one Gargoyle Key I had to get into the dining room behind the fogwall, which had a crossbow. I noticed the vendor has three Gargoyle Keys for sale, and I'm wondering if there's a limited amount of them in the game.

I'm at Level 22 now, and I'm sort of at a lost as what to do. I don't know whether to go try Margit again, or to keep exploring around and level up some more.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Barudak posted:

Max Wilco, did you get the half-coin from the fort you liberated? You'll probably want to make sure you have it.

I did. Haven't found the other half yet.

Something I forgot to mention is that I found the nearby elevator that leads down to the humongous subterranean area with the super-slow tanky guys with spears. I had trouble fighting the first couple of enemies I encountered, so again, it seems like an area you're meant to visit later.

I like the open-world design a lot, but I get the impression you are meant to tackle areas in a particular order. Despite dying like three times, the troll in the mines was pretty easy, but the mines also feel out of the way if you're looking to follow the signs of grace to the castle. Crucible Knight seems harder than Margit, at least in terms of attack/defense, but maybe it's possible to defeat him early on.

f#a# posted:

also, early-mid game stuff here

who invaded me in roundtable hold that one time? and did that directly lead to the edgelord who i have never actually talked to dying? what was the deal with that?

Is that what that big open area is with the twelve dozen bloodstain is in the hold? The PVP arena?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Vermain posted:

this is, i suspect, the second important reason they've done it, because a huge part of why dark souls and onwards has managed to maintain its grip is because there was a massive level of community involvement in piecing together the jigsaw puzzle plot of the game and in finding its obscure, well-hidden secrets that were, in large part, a consequence of it not having a traditional quest log or much signposting. having these loving obscuritan quests with people teleporting around to the middle of nowhere necessarily encourages community hunting and interaction in order to both solve the quests and for people who're stuck to find out what they need to do and where they need to go

that kinda thing keeps you game's legacy alive a lot longer than normal, so i think from's perfectly willing to sacrifice a certain level of accessibility in order to cultivate it

That's how I feel about it too: Souls kind of hit on that aspect of classic gaming where a lot of the game is obfuscated in its presentation, but players share and document discoveries and strategies among each other. You can tell a friend about the method you used to get an easy kill on one of the bosses, and they might tell you where you can look to find a weapon you might want to use.

I think the Souls games are also unique in that people don't always uniformly struggle or excel with the same boss battles. You have one person who does really well with Boss A, but has trouble beating Boss B. You have another person where it's the opposite. In that scenario, those two people can communicate between each other to figure out how to improve.

-

As far as the quest log stuff goes, for the most part, I fee like Souls doesn't really have 'quests' in the most traditional sense. In something like, say, Baldur's Gate, quests usually pay out with an XP reward and sometimes an item, and if you have multiple quests with multiple different objectives, having a quest log helps keep track of what you need to do, where you need to go, and what you have to turn in.

It differs from character to character, and from game to game, but in Souls the quests aren't explicitly presented as such; instead, quests are tied more to what NPCs you meet, and their fates depending on what actions you take. Best example is maybe Solaire in DS1. You meet him near the Undead Chapel, and he gives you the soapstone, and you later meet with him in Anor Londo. Later you find him depressed in Lost Izalith, and then later made hostile by the Sunlight Maggot. However, if you unlocked the shortcut for Lost Izalith and killed the maggot before that point, he shows up later as a summon for Gwyn. Most people probably don't save Solaire in their first playthrough and didn't get Solaire for the summon, but for those who joined the Chaos Servant covenant and killed the maggot find out Solaire is available for the final boss fight. However, it's not really necessary to completing the game.

Playing casually, quests just help the game world feel a little more alive. If you're playing for completion, though, it does get frustrating. However, it isn't because of a lack of a log, but rather that if you don't know what you need to do in what order, you can potentially ruin your chances of getting the item you need until the next game cycle. SunlightBlade did a video about the Splintering Crossbow Bolts and what you need to do to get them. Granted, the bolts aren't a required item for 100% completion, but gives you a general impression of how the quest progression works.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So good news, bad(ish) news: good news is that because of the time change, I woke up early this morning, so I started up ER, and was finally able to to beat Margit. It took a lot of tries, though. I had one run where I actually managed to stagger Margit and get a critical, but he killed me when he only had a bit of health left. Even though I beat him on one of the later attempts, I wish I had beat him on that run, because it would have been cool.

Bad(ish) news is that my ventures through Stormveil Castle were pretty rough, and I don't think I'm going to fare well against Godrick unless I go back and level up some more and improve my gear. Someone mentioned Weeping Penisula, and I ventured over there briefly, but didn't really explore it (I got in range of the tower shooting the great arrows, and figured I wasn't supposed to go there until later). I figure I should go there next.

One thing I'd like to do is find a way to perma-kill skeletons. I assume you need holy weapons to keep them down, like in the Catacombs of DS1. My guess is that there's probably an Ash of War that grant the Holy attribute, or a weapon that just innately does Holy damage, but I have no idea where I'd look for one.

I've been trying not to look to guides and stuff for help, and to avoid spoilers of what occurs later in the game, but I caved and watched some, in particular Iron Pineapple's video on how you can break the game with magic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCu8PBoj-Ks). I don't know if I'll get great magic stats before they roll out the next patch and potentially nerf things, but I thought about speccing in magic when I first started out. I want to say I'm around Level 30 or so now, and I've been putting points equally in STR and DEX, as well as VIG and END, so I might have spread myself sort of thin.

Any advice as to what I could do? The weapons I've been primarily using are the Lordsworn Straight Sword, and Lordsworn Greatsword, both at +2, but I thought about seeking out a unique boss weapon, since I saw something that made it sound like they were easier to upgrade than regular weapons. Also, if I'm going to build up magic skills, where should I look for spells? I found the guy in Stormveil who sells spells, but he's only got two.

-

Also a fun 'emergent gameplay' story, or whatever you call it: before I fought Margit, I decided to explore eastward. I fought the boat boss (which was really easy on horseback), and found the church where you fight the red phantom NPC. From there I kept going east into Caelid, and I made my way to a mine. However, once I got into the mine, I realized that I couldn't get out, because the entrance was one-way (you jump down a pit), and I couldn't teleport out. I figured I had no choice but to go and try and fight the boss so I could get out. However, when I got down to the boss door, I found there was another door off to the side. Opening it, I found Alexander, the giant sentient jar again and a tunnel that took me back out to Limgrave where I could teleport again.

I admit, it's not a great story, but I found it entertaining because I figured I had screwed myself over by getting stuck in a high-level area, but I managed to escape.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

just bop em again when they start glowing and getting up

Tarezax posted:

Skeletons can be perma-killed by just hitting them while they're on the ground attempting to revive

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah those options work, innately holy weapons will put them down (I don't think giving a weapon the holy element via an ash of war would work though) but you can just like, hit them again before they stand up

Seriously? :psyduck: drat, I figured you couldn't attack them while they were reassembling.

That said, I think I might want to try and level up a strike weapon to use against them, though that banks on me being able to find more level 1 and level 2 Smithing Stones.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Willfrey posted:

If you want a good somber stone weapon early the
Bloodhound fang is the go-to.

I'd say stat-wise just start adding to vigor. Vigor makes a lot of one hit kill BS go away.

You can totally do the Weeping peninsula, that archers long slow shots can be avoided and he's a pushover when close. Focus on finding tunnel/cave dungeons as they yield more upgrade stones, get you sword up to +3, or the Bloodhound fang to +2 (it will hit like a truck *and* bleed)

Thanks. I looked up how to get the Bloodhound Fang, and that led into me doing one of the quests (the one tied to the fight, with the half-wolf dude you get as a summon). I didn't really experiment with it much (it puts into the heavy equip load), but it seems pretty powerful, and the bleed seems helpful. Actually, there's a lot of weapon and craftable items that do bleed damage, and I think Ashes of War too. Is making a viable Bleed/Blood build a thing?

Anyway, after that, I did the quest for Morne Castle. Beating the archer was very easy, as was the castle. I used the castle commander summon for the fight against the boss. I went back to the questgiver and...well, I'm hoping there's a follow up quest later on. :smith:

Is it too early to fight that dragon in the lake up in Limgrave? I figured I had to wait until later in the game, but the map I looked at showed there were some items you get around the lake.

Frankston posted:

As someone who really struggles to remember names and stuff, god drat do I have a hard time remembering names and stuff in Elden Ring. poo poo like:

Morgott
Margit
Mohg
Mohg 2
Melina
Malenia
Maliketh

I always have to check the wiki or something to see just who people are referring to.

I'm having the same issue. I couldn't remember Blaidd's name (which is why I referred to him as 'half-wolf dude') and had to look it up for this post. Same with the boss for Morne Castle, which is Leonine Misbegotten, but my brain keeps distorting it into 'Lorraine Mordecai'. I can't even remember the name of the lady who visits you at the grace sites, or the horse-riding knight with the flail I fought outside the castle perimeter.

As such, that's where I can understand the desire for a questlog, or just having some sort of index of all the characters you've met, because there is a lot to keep track of. That said, I could also just jot down names and notes in a notebook, which is something I like doing (even though I tend to be kind of lazy about it at times).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

drat it. They nerfed all the cool spell/ability stuff before I had a chance to get it and use it. I wanted to stomp enemies with hoarfrost and send my mimic to smack bosses. :sigh:

Well, on the plus side, I can beat the bosses and say I didn't cheese them (as hard). Plus finding NPCs and getting Smithing Stones will be easier now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm curious, now, if all the techniques in this VaatiVidya video still work now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYI5Z3jhKB4).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

They'll run whichever version of the game is the fastest to complete (the old one)

Was going to say that if you have a disc copy, you could always just reinstall the game, and take your system offline if you want to play without the new patches. You don't have access to online play, but that's one way to go about it. With the Demon's Souls remake, you can do that and get access to the Gold Coin/Infinite Luck exploit.

Also, what was the deal with Moonveil? Was that the weapon that had super-good split damage that someone was talking about?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Maybe it's too early to ask, but has anyone here got the platinum for Elden Ring yet? I saw that one of them was for getting all the legendary weapons, and I noticed one of those weapons was the Dark Moon Greatsword, which was a weapon I wanted to get, and is tied to Ranni's quest, which apparently is somewhat complicated.

Is there an easy-to-follow guide for the quests, and what to avoid when doing them? I've done a couple of searches for quests when they pop up, but most of my results are either from FextraLife, or IGN and whatnot, where's it's a pain in the rear end to read through because of the formatting.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Postman posted:

I referenced this guide when I was cleaning up trophies. It's a pretty generous platinum. Not a lot is permanently missable and questlines feel harder to screw up than previous titles.

Thanks. I had originally planned to just run through the first time and focus on 100% later, but once I got to one of the dialog options for one of the characters, I started worrying about whether or not it would fail a quest later down the road.

Artelier posted:

It's somehow both ridiculously precise and incredibly generous at the same time.

Maybe the platforming gets really bad later on, but I really do appreciate that (after 10+ years and six games) From gave us a dedicated jump button instead of making us do it from a run. Torrent's double jump also helps for correcting jumps when need be.

Bleck posted:

I'm going to eventually make a player-helper character with The Anchor, the Jellyfish Shield and the Octopus Head, called Freddi Fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwh9iUtX4Fc

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

This might have already been posted, but...

https://twitter.com/IronPineapple_/status/1504890624507621377

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Spent last night not making any progress (at least on bosses and story), but rather venturing out to some of the hidden sections of the map to find mapstones and sites of grace. I ventured down to southeast Caelid, and had a frustrating time trying to deal with the enemies across the bridge (where they catapult flaming bombs at you). I also ventured to the northern areas of Caelid and found a guy in a shack who talked about Millicent (who I think is the companion of the guy in Roundtable Hold who tasks you with looking for her) and how's she afflicted and that there's a cure or whatever. I didn't progress further with that, though, because I was worried about breaking questlines (since I remember one video I watched mentioned that venturing too far in that area might break a questline).

After that, I spent time exploring Linuria (the area northwest of Limgrave, north of Stormveil Castle). Biggest frustration in that area was the giant lobsters who get tank a lot of damage, and can wreck you with their projectile attack. I fought a red NPC phantom and was excited to get a +8 Halberd from the fight, but the excitement was shortlived when I realized that it was only slightly stronger than the Bloodhound's Fang, which I have at +2. Good news is that my (somewhat accidental) ventures into higher level areas have netted me some Somber Smithing Stones to get it to +4 (maybe +5, have to check though), and since I'm at Level 40, I feel like I might be able to take on Godrick now.

Kawabata posted:

I did eventually give up on that, because it felt I was gimping myself. I still don't like to use Ashes but I will from time to time, especially when you fight more than one guy as boss.

With Malenia I tried mimic at first but noticed I could get to her second phase faster without it after learning her tells. I think what really annoys me is how long and punishing the fight is even now that it's very predictable. Will try and beat her as soon as I have more time to invest in the game.

EDIT: I like Ashes in theory but some of them are so strong they almost let you skip the part where you learn a boss' moveset - you can just sucker-punch him while your summon distracts him :(

I wouldn't feel bad about using Ashes or summons. I Iron Pineapple said in one of his video on (I think the one on how to break the game with magic) that a win is a win. Learning patterns is important and when to dodge is important, but unless you're dedicated to beating Malenia purely with melee, giving yourself an edge with the tools the game gives you is perfectly legit.

The only reason I would maybe discourage summons is that while you've got an extra person or two to help you in the fight, it also results in the boss gaining additional health. Laurence the First Vicar in Bloodborne was a fight that pissed me off to no end, and the problem with using summons (mostly the NPC summon) is that if the summon dies partway into the fight, you've still got to deal with that inflated health bar (also doesn't help that Laurence has stupidly high defense, and floods the already cramped arena with magma in the second half, and :argh:)

I should say that I'm nowhere near Malenia yet, so I can't really comment on the fight, but from I've heard, she sounds like the most difficult boss From has made.

Yates posted:

Malenia was the only boss in the end game that I didn't exploit the stomp. Don't know why it just didn't work for me. I finally beat her by playing it like an MMO. Heavy armor, heavy shield, heavy katana +24 with frost grease. Used defense tallys and the one that increases damage when poison and rot are around. Don't know how that works but I was rotted basically the whole loving time so I assume it helped. My mimic and I would switch aggro when needed. I'd start tanking, when I need to get out and heal, I'd run and dodge until she went after ghosty me then I healed up, reapplied my grease and went back in to get aggro. Shield up as much as possible. It took a couple tries but that ended up working for me.

You can do that? :psyduck: I mean the mimic stuff is what everyone has brought up, but Eldenbornesouls (or whatever the new name is) has never really seemed like it supported tanky builds. I mean, the games give you a lot of heavy armor sets, but if you don't have high endurance or a ring to raise equip load, you're stuck with the fat roll, and can't really dodge attacks and the armors themselves don't seem like they absorb enough damage for you to tank a lot of hits.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Slider posted:

I think it starts to take off later in the game, along with using a greatshield with 100% phys block. My setup is using both soreseals that give +5 to mixed stats, erdtree's favor, and 4th trinket slot gets changed based on the situation. For the physick flask I use opaline bubbletear/hardtear that also buffs damage reduction. I've been at heavy equip load pretty much all of the game and it seems to be working so far :shrug:

Sound like a pretty good setup. I've yet to find a 100% damage reduction greatshield, but I'd like to upgrade to one since I've been using the guard counter more than the medium shield parry.

Far as FashionSouls goes, I like the heavy armor sets, but since I'm accustomed to having the mid-roll, I end up up wearing lighter armor. That's why I'm thinking about pumping up Endurance more so I can wear a heavy set and still have the mid roll.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hidetaka's Miyazaki's Seven Maidens for Seven Tarnished.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So after getting the Bloodhound's Fang up to +5, I thought I would go through Fringefolk Hero's Grave to get the the Erdtree's Favor talisman before trying to take on Godrick. That proved to be trickier than I expected, because I didn't know that was the place you encounter the rolling blade trap. I looked the dungeon up online, and found the shortcut to bypass a lot of the alcove dashing, but I died a few times to the two Grafted Scions (the spider looking enemies). Eventually, though, I got the the talisman, and I disposed of the rolling blade trap. I beat the boss of the area (Ulcerated Tree Spirit), though it took two tries, and even then it was dicey, because of how much the boss writhes around.

After that, I went back to fight the Bell Bearing Knight at the Warmaster's Shack. I tried previously with the Fang at +2, I was able to get the boss's health down about halfway in good runs, but he'd take me out not long after. The simple close quarters sword swings and stab I could dodge reliably, but anytime he started swinging the sword with his red magic stuff, I'd just block and try to find an opening. I could not reliably get the timing down for that drill sword attack. I did beat him, but I died getting the last hit in. Luckily, I still got the item drop and the runes.

Eventually, I went to go and fight Godrick and he only took like two tries. The first run I failed because I backed up too far and fell off the edge, but the second run I waited until I got to the second phase before I summoned the Godrick Solider Ashes +1 and was able to beat him pretty easily. Most likely I cheesed the fight by having my weapon at +5 and using the Ashes to draw his attention away from me. I managed to block/dodge his attacks for most part, but I felt like it was by luck that I dodged some, because he's got really weird wind-ups.

-

Now I'm not sure what to do next. I spent the rest of the evening joining co-op sessions so as to help people fight Godrick and score some more runes. Nobody made it up to Godrick unfortunately, but I still made it up to about 40,000 runes or so. I'm not sure what to do next. I'm guessing I go into the tower near Godrick and from there I can activate his Great Rune, but I'm not certain on where to go next. My thought was to head north to Raya Lucaria and try and get into the Anor Londo looking building.

As far as gear and abilities go, I'd like to build up one of my Spirit Ashes, since I think I have some of the higher level Gloveworts, but I don't know which one to build. I dunno if Mimic Tear is still the top rank Spirit Ash, but I imagine it'll be a while before I find it. Should I power up Godrick Soliders some more, or go with something else.

I've noticed from a lot of videos I've seen online that a lot of people also use the Bloodhound's Fang, which makes me think that it's sort of akin to Drake Sword from DS1. I still plan on using it for the time being, but I thought about seeking out a different weapon to build up as well, albeit something that's maybe smaller and faster. I got the mace from one of the vendors, which I wanted to use a skeleton smashing weapon, though I'd like to find a way to give it a holy attribute, but I don't know if I can find something like that in this part of the game. Other than that, I don't know what else I should seek out in regards to weapons. Moonveil sounded like it was pretty good, but I don't know if I could beat the boss that has it at this point (as it sounds like it has high defense to slashing weapons).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Go through the other side of Godricks arena and look at the big obvious thing to head to next. You did like 2 of the 3 big challenges in the pre-godrick region so I think you'll be fine venturing forth. Have you done Weeping Penensula? There is a weapon there in a cart that may fit the bill and quite a few more on the regions boss zone

I have done Weeping Penisula, and I think I got the weapon in the cart you mentioned (the Morning Star).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Since I spent the weekend playing GT7, I spent this evening trying to make some more progress from where I left off (right after beating Godrick).

I returned to Roundtable Hold to meet with the Two Fingers, and I have say, I did not expect them to literally be a pair of giant sentient(?) fingers conjoined by a partial palm.

I made my down to Liurnia, which I had partially scouted. I was having trouble finding the key into Raya Lucaria. The player messages said to seek out a dragon for the key, and I remembered seeing a dragon previously, but I forgot where. Eventually, though, I realized I could refer to the map I found near the grace.

Fighting the dragon was pretty easy, though it took me three tries, with me dying on the second attempt with just a single hit on the dragon left. :sigh: Raya Lucaria hasn't been too tough, though getting in range to kill the mages is tough, which makes me think I need to invest in arrows and bow upgrades.

Next up is the red wolf boss, I think.

Eventually, I'm going to post my current stats to see if I'm building my character poorly (right now, I feel like I'm spreading my stats out too much).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

Margott: "You dumb tarnished. I'm going to kill you and blah blah blah."

Me, level 80: "STFU nerd."

Malenia: "I am Malenia. Blade of Miquella. And I have never known defeat."

Me, level 134: "It's go time, motherfucker."

A normal rear end rune bear: "roar"

Me, level 165: "oh god oh poo poo oh gently caress oh god no no no no no no aww poo poo gently caress gently caress poo poo"

No kidding. I beat the red wolf boss in Raya Lucaria, and I took it down pretty quickly (Bloodhound Fang is at like +5, so it does high damage). Later, though, I ventured up into the hills northeast of Lucaria, and there was a bear guarding an item on a chair, and it could tank hits and dish out high damage. They should add a Spirit Ash for the Rune Bears that just tears up all the bosses.

-

As I said, I beat the red wolf boss, and made my way through Lucaria. I stopped after taking an elevator up to a door that I think leads into the big boss of the area (Rennala?), and decided to do some other stuff. I took the teleporter circle near the elevator and found the church with the turtle pope, and I got the Golden Needle, which prompted me to find Roc and get his quest going so I could modify the look of armors (although it looks like the only armor I can modify is the Carian Knight armor). I explored the underground east of Raya Lucaria, and the area to the north, activating the graces where I could find them. I met Iji, and I unlocked the option to buy the talisman from him by referencing Blaidd, but other than the option to buy tier 1 and 2 Somber Stone, he doesn't seem to offer a whole lot. I dunno if he gets any special smithing abilities versus the smith in Roundtable HOld.

Anyway, here are my current stats:

Level 51

VIG - 20
MND - 15
END - 20
STR - 20
DEX - 20
INT - 16
FTH - 8
ARC - 11

I've been trying to put points into Mind and Intelligence to make use of spells, but right now I think I can only use one spell (Glintstone Pebble). For the most part, I've been focusing on pumping up physical stats in order to take and deal damage.

I don't know what the current Ash of War meta is, but maybe that would be a better bet than leveling magic. I found the Icerind Hatchet with Hoarfrost Stomp, but without upgrades, it doesn't seem super powerful (I assume Ashes of War scale with the upgrades of the weapon it's attached to).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Flytrap posted:

it's still so weird to me that when people think of the super challenging super difficult super rewarding soulsbourne bosses they think of lady chainstagger and sister backstabbait

Orphan of Kos is like the only difficult boss BB had and...I actually can't think of anything in DSIII that took much effort to learn. Gael took like 4 or 5 tries my first time through the game, but every time I run up to him past that he's a one and done.

I guess I still haven't beaten Midir but that's entirely on the back of all of his mechanics just being terrible.

If you're looking to beat Darkeater Midir at some point in the future, I'd recommend watching this video. It goes over Midir's attacks and how to best avoid them. For me, it was a big help in beating Midir.

The Anime Liker posted:

If you absolutely love Hoarfrost Stomp look at that hatchet's specs and level up accordingly (iirc it's a Str/Int weapon)

As your character goes up in STR/INT so does the stomp's power.

Also, since you're in Liurnia, you can get the Hoarfrost Stomp all by itself and apply it to a great number of weapons, like katanas and swords and axes etc.

Something to look out for is also whetstone blades. Then you can have a Hoarfrost Stomp on a keen or quality katana instead of a magic katana and if you bump up DEX then you have a magic based ash of war tied to a pure dex weapon so you're stunning enemies then slicing them to ribbons.

Whetblade knives are a MUST. Most underrated tools in the game and you can do some wild poo poo early on with them and do some bonkers OP stuff with a character not leveled to that stat (like a STR guy with no faith can still use a holy hammer and just loving annihilate magic users)

I did pick up the standalone Hoarfrost Stomp Ash, but I need to figure out an alternate weapon to attach it to, since you can't change the skills on unique weapons.

I haven't really used the skill at all, outside of when I first found the Icerind Hatchet, and again against the Bell Bearing Knight at the Church of Vows (who unfortunately seemed to tank the damage). It seems like there's a bit of timing between when you deploy it, and when the shards break, so I'll have to play around with that to see if I want to stick with it.

I've collected a couple of the whetblade knives, but I've not used them, again, because I've been using the Bloodhound's Fang. I was hoping to find some AoWs that have elemental properties like Lightning or Holy, but it looks like those don't crop up until later on in the game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I beat Rennala. Ashamedly, it took me a little bit to figure out the first phase of the fight. I was running around and killing clones(?) until it occurred to me that this was a Deacons of the Deep style boss, and that I should be attacking the one singing with the golden aura around it. Do that three times and the bubble cracks and she falls to the ground where you can attack her. The first phase isn't really difficult, but you've got the clones breathing fire at you and tossing globes and books, so it gets a little hectic.

The second phase is considerably harder. Dodging a lot of the magic attacks on their own isn't too hard; the most common attack she does is the one with the beams that drift towards, and you can dodge those and close the distance by moving and dodging to the side towards her. Where the fight gets dicey is when she starts throwing out the Spirit Ashes, like the dragon, the Bloodhound Knight, and the wolves. They disappear not long after, but it resulted in me running away from her, mostly with the dragon. My counter was to deploy the Godrick Knights Ash, which took the aggro off of me and interrupted some of her attacks when the one knight uses the crossbow.

It took me about three-or-four attempts, with one going south right as she had like like two hits left. The successful run was kind of clutch, because I went in for the last few hits while the dragon summon was breathing fire and Rennala was casting magic, and I only had one Godrick knight left. It probably wasn't as close as I think it was, but I was worried I was going to get hit by the flames, so it felt like I made it through the eye of the storm.

Beating the boss also gave me the 'Great Rune' trophy, which I don't get. I got the rune from Godrick, but I haven't activated it yet, so I don't know if that causes the trophy to drop at that point.

-

I warped back to Roundtable Hold, and the Two Fingers and assistant were like, "Good job! Now go find Queen Marika and become Elden Lord!", which makes it sound like I could just go and finish the game if I find Marika, but I assume there's more to it than that. Right now, I'm worried that I may have locked myself out of the Age of the Stars ending, since you hear Ranni (?) lambast you during the transition to the second phase of the Rennala fight:

quote:

"Upon my name as Ranni the Witch. Mother's rich slumber shall not be disturbed by thee. Foul trespasser. Send word far and wide. Of the last Queen of Caria, Rennala of the Full Moon."

-

I tried going to the study hall tower to the east, but I couldn't get to the top (guessing I need the item that goes in the altar by the site of grace.) I'm guessing my next stop is Caria Manor.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gologle posted:

You didn't. Someone a few weeks ago in this thread used an analogy I really liked where they compared it to leaving a voice message on the phone for anyone who calls you. That's essentially what Ranni did for her crazy mom.

So when you do her quest later, does she just not say anything about you defeating Rennala?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

repiv posted:

whoever put fromsofts swear list together (presumably a japanese developer with limited knowledge of english swears) seems to have assumed that if a swear is composed of multiple words, the individual words are also swears

https://github.com/omgftw/DarkSouls3CensorCheck/blob/master/censorlist.js

e.g. "lapdance" is a bad word therefore "lap" and "dance" are also bad words

"cornhole" is censored therefore "corn" is also censored

Ha ha, 'goatse' and 'goatse.cx' are words listed. :goatsecx:

Other amusing words/phrases/shock site memes listed include: 'beavers', 'finger', 'lsd', 'lucifer', 'masochist', 'phat', 'take a dump', 'lemonparty', 'tubgirl.com', 'virgin', 'underwear', 'waffle', 'abe lincoln', 'yak', and 'tony danza'.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Maybe it already got posted, but ZeroLenny put up his torch-only run of Elden Ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqZ719bwfAA

And if you're wondering, the answer is yes, he did manage to kill Malenia with the torch.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Vermain posted:

i put "fire but hole" in front of the roundtable hearth with a sitting emote but the philistine playerbase has only upvoted it a mere 6 times

I put 'toxic but hole' in front of Seluvis.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Been running around Caelid, trying to make progress on the main quest, aiming towards getting the Age of the Stars for my first ending. I think my next step is to fight Starscourge Radahn.

I do not like Caelid very much. Like, it looks cool and all, but everywhere you go, there's something filled with Scarlet Rot to contend with. I think what irritates me is that for as prevalent as it is, Preserving Boluses are very rare, as are the materials to cure it. From searching online, it sounds like Sacramental Buds don't respawn, and they only drop rarely from later enemies, so if you run out, your only option is one of the miracles. (Flame, Cleanse Me) Unfortunately, while I did find the miracle, I've been neglecting to put points into Faith.

Quitting point for tonight was trying to do the Abandoned Cave, where the start has you crossing through waist deep Scarlet Rot you can't run in. I eventually made it to the boss room without getting the rot, but the first Cleanrot knight got me with the spear and infected me, and there's no checkpoint outside the door, so you have to run through the whole cave again.

:negative:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

nopants posted:

do you have the flames cleanse me incantation? it cures rot and only requires 12 faith and a seal

I have the incantation, but not the FTH requirement, so I'll have to put some points into FTH before I can use it. I have the Finger Seal.

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont think any part of Elden Ring's open world was bad. It's just that by the time you hit the snowfields, you are starting to feel fatigue because things just keep ramping up with no end in sight.

Like a normal casual playthrough of ER is over twice as long as BB.

Bloodborne I think is the shortest of all the games. If you're looking just to get to the end of the game, you only have to fight seven of the seventeen bosses in the game (not counting DLC and Chalice bosses), and you forego visiting a lot of areas (Old Yharnam, Castle Cainhurst, Nightmare Frontier, etc.)

Initially, I was going to say that ER feels a bit bloated, but thinking on it a bit more, I think a big "issue" with the game is that it feels lacking in structure. When I think about the layout of the other From games, I think about in terms of working your way through a somewhat lengthy route that builds up to a boss fight. Areas like Stormveil and Raya Lucaria are structured like in other games, but with a lot of the open world, you'll be out exploring when you pass by a tree and run into a boss in the open. You beat that boss, but then five minutes after, you'll explore a ruin and find staircase down to a boss fight that's just a fight against one of the Pumpkin Head guys, and you defeat it quickly because you've leveled up so much by that point.

It also doesn't help that there are so many boss encounters, and that some of them are repeated (the Night's Cavalry, Erdtree Avatars, Burial Watchdogs, etc.). It results in the game having some uneven pacing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

if you're any class but i think the prisoner if you eat a rune arc with godrick's rune you'll be able to cast flame, cleanse me, without a single extra point dropped in faith

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't forget the faith heirloom.

I went with Warrior, and I have Godrick's Rune equipped. I've just been trying to use Rune Arcs sparingly (I think I've only got like 7 at this point).

Missed the Faith Heirloom, so I'll have to backtrack for that.

I'm still going to try and bump Faith up to 12, but only so I can use Flame Cleanse Me without having to swap Talismans or use Great Rune when I need it. There seem to be some cool Faith abilities, though, so maybe that's something to consider if I ever get around to doing a second playthrough in the future.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress YOU CAELID

If you're dumb enough to buy a new weapon this weekend, you're a big enough schmuck to come to Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe!

BAD DEALS! WEAPONS THAT BREAK! INVADERS!

If you think you're going to find a deal at Kale's, you can KISS MY rear end!

It's our belief that you're such a stupid motherfucker that you'll fall for this bullshit, GUARANTEED!

If you find a weapon elsewhere with better damage scaling? SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end! YOU HEARD US RIGHT! SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end!

Bring your runes! Bring your horse! Bring your maiden! WE'LL gently caress HER! THAT'S RIGHT, WE'LL gently caress YOUR MAIDEN!

Because at Crazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe, you're hosed six ways to Stomveil!

TAKE A HIKE to Crazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe! Home of poo poo Rolling!

THAT'S RIGHT! poo poo ROLLING!

How does it work? If you can roll around in six feet of poo poo, and not get Scarlet Rot, you get no down payment!

DON'T WAIT! DON'T DELAY! DON'T gently caress WITH US, OR WE'LL RIP YOUR NUTS OFF!

Only at Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe: The only merchant that tells you to gently caress OFF!

HURRY UP, rear end in a top hat! This event ends the moment you give us a Golden Rune, and it better be a high value one, or you're a dead motherfucker!

GO TO HELL!

Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe! Caelid's filthiest and exclusive home of the meanest Tarnished in the Lands Between! GUARANTEED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Vermain posted:

12:13 any%

there's still theoretical timesaves with the current zips but i don't think it's reasonable to get it much past 11 minutes on the dot, so it'll probably hover around here for quite some time

"What? Why are they just holding block towards the ground? Did they decide to scrap this run and--" :stare:

It always amazes me how people find these things, and then are able to replicate them. It's like, "In Uncharted 2, if you aim at the ground and fidget around a little bit, the game will toss you through the geometry to the other end of the level".