Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

consoles only boo

The future is NOW, old man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Otogi 1 & 2 are backwards compatible now on Xbox and a delight to play.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

It’s a From game, those kids are already dead

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I read the leaks, and it turns out that the real Elden Ring was the friends we made along the way.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What makes you think he isn't already doing this?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yes, the twin-stick gamepad is one of the worst things that ever happened to game design

"hurr durr i would like LESS precision in this game about clicking heads and orienting yourself in 3D space, please"

Amazing. Everything you typed is wrong.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Halo is the Chaos Bed. A terrible mistake created by trying to imitate something irreplaceable in a medium unsuited to it.

Hmmmm... nah.

Frankston posted:

Elden Ring won't need any mods because it's going to be literally perfect in every way

Somewhere, a modder's ears are burning.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Charliegrs posted:

I think I'm looking forward to the release of Elden Ring more now just to end the nonstop speculation about PC requirements.

Pffft, that means we'll just get the troubleshooting posts then.

Disco Pope posted:

The PC requirements are to shut the hell up and talk about what kind of skeletons there will be and how cool the swords will be.

:hai:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so, what is this Elden Ring thing exactly? Do we ever find out?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's cool that the game is so drat big and that I'm not likely to get everything for the "perfect build" without strip mining the entire map for resources. I'm just having fun for now, progressing bit by bit. Maybe I'll care more about it later, but right now everything I've found is mine, and I found it on my own, it's 100% in my power to beat the game.

Glimpse posted:

Didn’t occur to me until this moment that the guy’s name is literally off’n ear.

Hodor.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

Wow, Pest Threads with 300+ spell boost just deletes Elden Beast.

This is what I did, also. Hope they don't nerf it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Two great tastes that taste great together soon! Elden Ring and... smooth jazz.

https://eldenringlive.com

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So we're all gonna just ignore that smooth jazz concert, huh.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is GoW as lovely and basic as I imagine it to be

God of War is a Sony Exclusive Prestige title, you watch your filthy mouth. True Gamerz only play console exclusives. All Hail Sony! All Hail Sony! All Hail Sony!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kild posted:

it's literally on pc

Yeah, that's how I played it, but that doesn't matter to the people who love Prestige Sony Experiences. Sony has a good marketing department it turns out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

I joked that the catacombs and the divine towers looked like a ps3 game and somebody got so mad

Graphics are serious business, you shouldn't tell a joke about that stuff!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

I see the game's finally joining seasonal sales. Do I want to play it on a top-end PC or XBox SeX?

The more games you play on the Series X, the more you realize how fun it is to play games on it, similar to a Steam Deck.

Speaking of which, I'm about to start my second playthrough and I've never really done a Faith build in any of FromSoft game. (Mostly Strength builds to be honest.) I'm reading in this thread that Faith/Arcane/Dexterity is a good way to go for damage stats (and Vigor to 40, obviously)? This can let me use this Blasphemous Blade I've heard about? Last playthrough I used Rivers of Blood, Sword of Fire and Night and a loooooot of sorcery. I was definitely overleveled, and I never finished the Haligtree or Volcano Manner or the sewers. Fresh stuff for me this tine around!

Any other tips for a Faith build?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, pick up all the Erdleaf Flowers you can do you can make those Furcalling Remedies for multiplayer shenanigans.

They have a similar function to being Unhollowed or being Enkindled in this game, very plentiful compared to the other games... and it wasn't that hard to get Enkindled or whatever in the other games.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What NG Level 1 build is fun from get? I'll hear out DEX/INT if there's a route that gets it up and fun early enough. Everything else is on the table, too, (save a duplicate of my Vig/End/Str man) just spare me rushing to Greyoll to mash R1 for 10 mins so I can play the build or whatever.

Do a STR/FAI build. There are a lot of fun FAI spells, and there's good synergy with Gurranq's strength stuff. I'm not saying to go rush for anything, but that your experience will be fun with lightning bolts and other divine spells as well as smashing. You probably won't get the HUGE smashy smashy, but it's definitely a viable choice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SlimGoodbody posted:

There is an excellent low level item in the basement of the ruins in the shallow lake in Limgrave

You can get a really good staff and wizard spell nearby once you get it. Even if you're not a wizard, the requirements are pretty low! Definitely do this.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

"I can't find five Tarnished with attitude anywhere! Ayiyiyii!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

Or as I like to say with the big hammer bois when chaining strong attacks:

Flippity floppity you get the bonkity

The Boppity. You know, like Little Bunny Foo-Foo.

Hmmm... can you get rabbit ears in this game?

Cavauro posted:

if you're on steam try verifying the integrity of the game files by right clicking elden ring in your games list and going to properties > installed files. other things to try would be updating/reinstalling display drivers and probably seeing if you can reinstall any controller device driver you're using too. if that doesn't work then here's something from someone else who had the same problem.

if you don't see anything like that going on then make sure your input devices and anything else have a good stable connection to the pc and they're not disconnecting intermittently, even if it's wireless.

Man I just made the switch to Xbox when Morrowind came out and I have lived a carefree life of gitting gud ever since. Every time I see a troubleshooting post I know that I made the correct choice for me. EMS/XMS boot floppies scar a person for life.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was only able to beat Gwynn by learning how to parry him. This was several years ago and I might be a better player now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lucas Archer posted:

Further Letters from Limgrave

I had a little time to play last night and elected to do a little exploration.

Edit: Oh yeah, this stupid fucker has an item with Margit's name for sale, the cuffs or something? While I can't test it now because the dumbass is dead, I suspect those could have been used like the music box against Father G in Bloodborne, right? I could have USED that. Next time, next time. /edit

Why don't you buy that thing anyway if you already haven't? There's a bit more going on with the Royal Family than may be apparent at first.

That's not the only "shackle" you can get your hands on, either.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
More canon weapons (from Castlevania 3) would be to get some cracked pots for throwables with some kind of holy damage to stand in for holy water, though I guess you could use other elements/statuses such as fire.

And don't forget battleaxes. You won't be able to throw them, but maybe there's a weapon ash that will let you lob some sort of thematic attack. Or... or just hit things in the face with an axe sometimes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa, brainstorm.

Take me away from the norm.

Woah, shades of gold displayed naturally.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lisa Frank's Spider-Hand Presents: Shadow of the Colossus

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, I just maybe had an epiphany because I was reading the last couple pages and am a bit high.

Is the reason Marika and Radagon are the same person because the Elden Ring joined them together into one person within its rules or whatnot? Did all the stuff that specifically mentions Marika and Radagon as separate beings all happen before they decided to get Rune Married and the Golden Order was established? Most of the lore takes place during Crucible Times?

I had never considered that before. Is that a new thing or am I just noticing the sky is blue and this is all well-known?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Drain 001 posted:

Dear Thread,

I'd like to start a third character and am looking for suggestions. I've gotten 100% of the achievements and have seen all the important endings.

• My first character was STR/FAI and rocked a tower shield with Golden Halberd, then she respecced to high INT to use the Dark Moon Greatsword. She's about L230
  • Second character is DEX/ARC and was focused on status buildup initially, but then pivoted into poise destruction when I discovered Spectral Lance on a Guardian's Swordspear. He's capped at L150 and I just use him for PVE co-op.

Planning on keeping this third character around L80 or L100 to also focus on PVE (and maybe PvP) co-op. Looking for a fun play style or gimmick I haven't tried before. TIA

You could try a caster. Sword of Night And Fire is a great backup weapon for that kinda playstyle, it can do both magic and fire damage.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

Backup, shmackup. It's the main draw to Int/Fth and your best damage source.

That's not really playing a caster, though. Im talking about throwing glintstone with some other situational stuff... but to be fair I didn't explicitly say that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

Can we stop using this argument please? It comes up constantly and it is possibly the single least thought-through idea in video games discussion, maybe next to "realism always equals more fun."

"Oh this game is only 99.9% exactly what you want, where no other game remotely comes close to doing what this game does best? Well if this is the game perfect for you in every way but one extremely specific thing you might not like about it... maybe you should just abandon it entirely and find 'another game' to fill this niche, which you and I both know good and well doesn't exist and never will?"

Games these days can be absurdly complex and expansive, with many different parts and systems constantly phasing in and out of the player's attention and engagement. It is absurd to think that if someone thinks a vanishingly small subset of these systems are undesirable, then the proper response to that critique should be "well if you don't LIKE IT you can LEAVE IT! If you can't HANDLE me at my WORST then you don't DESERVE me at my BEST."

Good golly gosh, this looks like a job for a mod.

No need to git gud if you just remove the parts that are giving you a hard time...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

Or instead of a mod, the community could talk about what works vs what doesn't, and hopefully studios respond by moving their designs closer to what people want. Otherwise you just end up with Bethesda, a company who has no idea why their games work at all, and most of the time they don't, so they need dozens of simultaneous entire-system overhaul mods working in tandem just to make their games even remotely entertaining.

Also, loudly flexing about how everybody else is probably just lazy and not gud for not wanting to engage with the parts of a game they don't like isn't the own you think it is.

No, no, I'm posting the correct way. It disgusts me, but I'm doing it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yass, Kween slayed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So is this "erdle erdle tree" a diggy diggy hole bit?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, they removed the booby trapped chest that takes you to Prawn Central?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I completely misread one of the posts on the previous three pages or so. My bad if so!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

He plays with a pad too iirc? Wild.

Learned skills are learned skills, be they M+KB or controller. It's all a matter of practice.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:hmmyes:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to set fashion trends you must defy what is trendy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

This is also my "clear everything region by region and use all rune consumables" run and my findings is that if you clear everything before Haligtree and Farum Azula, you will end up at roughly level 160. The game remains as bullshit as ever despite this, thanks to the scaling.

That kind of info seems like it should inform the levels for PvP meta. Maybe a little more wiggle room than 125 or 150. That's pretty neat!