Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm honestly hoping From is going back to the more slower paced combat from Demon's Souls & Dark Souls 1.
DaS3's pace never felt quite comfortable to play for me. And Sekiro looks cool in slowed down videos, but playing it was a miserable experience to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i wonder if they'll show anything more at TGS, or if they're going dark from this point forward
How does Bandai Namco usually handle their marketing?

If the game isn't delayed, then late September could be a good starting point to kick off the hype building and whatnot for the 21-jan-22 release date.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Was that ever in question? I thought it was clarified early on that Martin would contribute to the setting design and nothing else.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Adaptability will come back, but only for PvP players.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
On the other end of the spectrum: I've found PvP to be complete garbage in every Souls game.
I'd want there to be a PvP covenant or something similar, available at the start of the game. Joining it opens up your game to invasions. Those who want to be invaded have to the option available and those who don't can still engage with the online elements that are good like jolly cooperation.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The jump looked okay? I get that it's not the best animation ever created and watching it won't give you orgasmic joy. But it looked snappy and responsive, which is what you'd want in a Souls game. :shrug:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Ok so the beta is console only, but the game is coming out on PC right?
The netwerk test betas for previous From games were also console only.

A new screenshot I think? The pattern on the caster's staff looks neat.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Electromax posted:

I feel like From is only putting a map in there if they feel it's necessary for orientation. Open world type areas are easier to get turned around in after emerging from a 45-minute dungeon vs. the more directed paths of DS1. My takeaway is just that it's gonna be big but still leave the onus of discovery to you.
Dark Souls 1 already had that problem given how many people interpreted Crestfallen's "The other <bell> is far, far below" as meaning they had to go into Spookytown or the Skeletonhole.

I had the impression the guiding lights from the sites of grace will be an alternative for the map, if you just want to know where to go for progression.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Something I didn't see mentioned in any network test play, has durability been removed?
Durability didn't exist in the network test.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

is this another log4j thing or...
Similar in concept in that it's also a remote code execution (RCE) exploit, but not actually log4j.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Apparently Elden Ring's PC version will use Epic Games' EasyAntiCheat. That is, people noticed it in the EULA that's up on Steam.

Not sure what to make of that news. Guess we'll have to wait and see how From will implement it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It's kind of weird that they still haven't released any system requirements.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It runs fine on PS4 so I can't imagine it has very steep requirements.
I'm not worried about being able to run it. It just seems odd that they haven't released that info yet, less then 3 weeks before release date.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I've never played a game as insanely paced as DD.
The difficulty curve was weird.
Or more specifically, the game because silly easy after I unlocked the jump-spin move from the Strider class, because none of the enemies could deal with that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ashrik posted:

Some people enjoy waiting and being surprised, others don't give a poo poo and want to see it.

Anyways, it's 45+ short vids of different weapon movesets, skills, and spells.

I wouldn't mind seeing that. Post it with spoiler tags and clearly label what it is for the people who want to avoid spoilers:shrug:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Big Bizness posted:

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1491411609499353088/photo/1

From has fixed the RCE exploit in the PC version and the game will not be delayed, with the Souls games multiplayer coming back shortly after the release of ER

Praise it
Eh, I'll believe From really fixed it when I see it. I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped EasyAntiCheat on it and called it a day.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

Are PS5/PS4 players expected to share a server? Tried googling it and all I can find is news on the servers being down lol
Elden Ring has cross-gen multiplayer. So PS5 & PS4 player can play together.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I was real surprised by that CPU requirement. I feel like my computer is still pretty new-ish, but it has an i7-8700k which doesn't seem that far ahead of the minimum there :ohdear:
Do keep in mind that the listed minimum system specs aren't the actual minimum specs required to run the game, but the lowest specs the game has been tested on.

For example I could run DaS3 with a PC specs that were lower then listed minimums. I recon if you can run DaS3 or Sekiro comfortable, you'll be fine with Elden Ring on the lower graphical settings.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mailer posted:

Wait wha? That's kind of weird, given that the move to STR seemed like a deliberate choice that broke with previously assigning it to a neutral stat.
From might have been experimenting with moving it to Strength, but I think this makes more sense balance-wise. Otherwise a dex-build would have to invest in three stats.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Hold on. Did I miss something? Why the gently caress is anyone preemptively mad about this game?
They're mad that someone is excited about something.:shrug:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

oh yeah it's really not but i mean it's the highest i think i've ever seen for minimum requirements and i'm not sure i understand why
"Minimum" are the lowest specs they've tested the game with. Not the lowest specs the game can actually run on.

It is still a PS4/Xbox One game. So unless they really hosed up with optimization on the PC version, the game can probably run okay on hardware that could run DS3/Sekiro.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

If you don't have at least 16GB what the gently caress are you doing. Ideally you should have 32GB if gaming.
:confused: There are a few outlier game titles that will benefit from 32 GB RAM. But in general 16GB should still be fine for any modern build.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Please stop worrying about "trap stats" or "wasted points", the only trap is not playing elden ring by from software

Imagine you're playing DaS1 and you accidently put a point in Resistance.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Veritas posted:

I hate to bring up choice of PC vs. Console (yet again!) but for the first time ever I am torn.

I *always* get my FromSoft games on console first, historically because they didn't always have simultaneous PC releases, but now mostly out of tradition, and the fact that the games aren't really designed to take advantage of cutting edge PC hardware (particularly on this title that is also on PS4). There's also been some vague ideas about PC hacking, etc, in the back of my mind.

I'm 90% certain I'll be getting Elden Ring for PS5, but nevertheless a small voice in my head keeps nagging me saying I will regret it once raytracing drops via patch (I've got an RTX 3080, 4k monitor, great CPU, tons of RAM, no worries there). But my TV is just... bigger, and couches are comfy, and it's just really hard for me to judge how big a deal RT will be once they patch it in. It could be really great, but then again, the implementation on PS5 might still be completely acceptable if the PC RT implementation isn't designed to scale super hard with PC horsepower.

Anyone in my boat? I really think I'd prefer the console experience despite superior PC hardware. Comedy option: beat it 3 times on PS5, then buy it for PC and pretend it's a whole new graphical experience justifying further playthroughs (which is what I did for Dark Souls 3).
Get it on PC and and stream it to your TV with moonlight or something similar?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The only correct method of picking your starting class is Fashion.:colbert: Go with whichever class has the outfit you like.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Right after you get your mount in the early game, a tutorial pops up and tells you that you can do a couple of things with the Y button + dpad buttons.

I pressed confirm too fast and didn't see what those commands were. Can anybody tell me please?
It lets you use the top 4 item in your pouch. Basically a quick item menu.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Stormveil Castle
Anyone know how to reach this ledge? https://i.imgur.com/OWqXLZP.jpg

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Ulcerated tree spirit is just stupid. It feels like it belongs in parody of a From game, not game where actual thought was put into it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

So this will be a dumb question: How do I use my animal friend ghost summons? I've got the wolves and a lonely jellyfish, and a key item summoning bell, but when I equip the animals as items they're greyed out and I thought I tried equipping the bell itself and couldn't. How to do.
You need to "use" the animal item. Summoning spirits costs FP, so if the item is greyed out you may not have enough.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Black flame blade seems like complete garbage. I do like the idea of being able to apply it quickly right after dodging, but the duration is so short I get maybe one swing out of it. And the extra damage it adds seems pitiful.

Am I missing something here. Is there scaling involved with the damage / duration?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I got a talisman that reduces the impact from headshots.

That feels ominous.:ohdear:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So Precepror Miriam is just bugged right? You can't tell me that teleport spam is actually working as intended.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Same goes for chests. Just out of pure habit I hit every chest before opening it. You could tell me right now that mimics are confirmed not in this game and I would still do it. Every time.
My chest-habit has been updated with panic rolling away as soon as the opening animation is done.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

There is a reason why so many people struggle with Radahn and Preceptor Miriam in this game:

Stop clinging to HONOUR about ranged or whatever. Elden Ring expects you to use the tools it is giving you. Everyone should have a ranged attack doesn’t matter what your build is whether it’s magic or a bow or a greatbow or a ballista on your forearm. Have a ranged option!!!
:confused:I've tried both a bow and ranged magic on Miriam. It doesn't loving work. When she's moved to the top floor, she just teleport spams constantly out of the range of your lock on so you can't hit her with anything. And she never stops teleporting so it's not like manual aiming a bow will work. There's just no way that fight is actually working as intended.

Also after running past Miriam's first spawn point to clear out all of the ghost boys on the top floor, I discovered her bullshit, infinite-damage exploding arrow can clip through the floor.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Tried my first invasion to see if it would advance a NPCs questline. And I invaded the world of "1488". For fucks sake.

And of course a dipshit like that would have a convenient connection error just after he used his 5th flask.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What is that armour set? It sort of looks like the Bandit set, but there's a version that comes with a cape?

Fat Samurai posted:

She only teleports if you're coming at her from the same level. I climbed to the rafters and dropped a R2 on her stupid head. Big slabs of metal beat nerds. QED.
Tried that as well. She still teleported in my game.:shrug: Also never stopped firing her exploding arrow, making it impossible to navigate the rafters as the impact-aoe clips through the rafter's beams.
I eventually solved the Miriam problem by infecting her with scarlet rot before she moves on to the top floor and letting the DOT do its thing. But it's a stupid encounter that I hope is just bugged.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nuebot posted:

You can add or remove details like capes from a lot of different sets after you meet an NPC who's quest chain starts near the Agheel Lake North grace. I wish I knew how to do that doofy anime dodge instead of rolling.
The anime dodge a certain ash of war. Bloodhound Step. A night cavalry drops it in east Caelid

So about that cute little monkey NPC you mentioned I must has missed something there. I met Boc, gave him his needle and got the tailoring tools. Also give him the gold needle after he moved to Liurnia of the Lakes. But my armour customization options are very limited. I certainly don't have the option to add a cape to my Bandit gear. What do I need to do to unlock more customization options? I need my fashion!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Leonard.:3:
https://twitter.com/ZullieTheWitch/status/1500775770746204160

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I know there's a way to quickly / temporarily swap hands, but I can't seem to find the button combo for it?
Same command for two-handing a weapon when you're on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
After the honeymoon period, I'm starting to sour on Elden Ring somewhat. When the game is good, it's really good. But there's also quite a bit of annoying or just plain miserable unfun content.
I can't help but feel the game was just way too big for From. Most of the lovely content has a "we've run out of ideas and/or time" vibe to it.

Big Bizness posted:

Guessing this won't work because sharing saves like that no longer worked anymore as of Dark Souls 3. That's random string of numbers is a unique ID tied to your steam account, which is also tied to the save file itself.
:confused: Transfering save files worked just fine Dark Souls 3. And it worked in Elden Ring for me. The folder name in %appdata%/eldenring is your unique steamid. But the actual savefile inside the folder - the .sl2 file, isn't tied to your account. When you boot up the game thought, it's possible Steam yells at you because the local save files are different then the ones in your cloud storage. But you can tell it to keep using your local files and it'll be fine.