Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This is my first souls whatever game!

I've been playing quite a bit so far but all I really do is wander around the world and try to not get killed. Maybe I'll kills some goons before Elden Ring does it's thing and murders me around when it feels best.

Any tips for people a bit confused where to go that won't get you immediately crushes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nothing huh? Guess I'm gonna have to look up a strategy guide 😅

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Willfrey posted:

Stormveil castle is the first story area, but the Weeping peninsula to the south is a good place to beef up before stormveil.

Just clear out dungeons. Of you are new I recommend getting your hands on a 100% physical resist shield and Longsword or katana. Bloodhound fang is a heavy sword that is pretty OP for how early you get it so you can seek that out. The regular soldier enemies drop one of the best guarding medium shields in the game

Outside enough str/dex/whatever to weild your gear you will want to pump vigor. 30 will carry you a long ways.

Also spending runes to upgrade weapons will yield more damage gains then upgrading stats that your weapon scales with

Hey alright, I already have a katana from my samurai class, and I think I got a shield with a 100% physical resistance too.

I'll see if I can max vigor to 30, so far the only things I need a 30 in strength are for this one bigass crossbow I found in a tower and another thing that escapes me!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not clear if you need 20 or 30 base strength for the crossbow - does it get the x1.5 for two-handing?

Im pretty sure it's a 30 or maybe even a 31 in strength. I can tell that thing has a lot of kick to it, looks pretty drat beefy.

Now I just need to farm for runes like a mofo to crack that 30 stat, I'm at, I dunno, 12 or something.

EDIT: Can someone explain to me why these red player holograms constantly try to kick my poo poo in? You're a player, aren't you supposed to assist me with bosses and poo poo

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Let me be clear on how much I HATE that one dungeon with the Chariot of Doom rolling about.

It's not the Chariot that's the problem, it's all those cheap motherfuking ghosts spawns that NEVER fail to shank you in the spleen whenever you have to dodge in those safe alcoves :argh:

I'm just gonna cheese up my levels so I can muscle through the bullshit, the one thing RPGs can never take away from me!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why in the flying gently caress does it take ten seconds to get past the YOU DIED screen? If I'm gonna die a good eighty times in a sitting, make sure you don't waste half of my battle time with an unskippable death screen :argh:

God awful design choice by a landslide.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How the hell do I get someone to help me with a boss fight? The only thing I can figure out is how to get them someone to summon me which is the opposite of what I want!

This game's text tutorials are awful.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Flytrap posted:

There's an item in the multiplayer tab that looks like a string being pulled out of a mirror case, you have to use one of those to turn on multiplayer. "Furcalling Finger Remedy" or something.

Thank you kind goon :tipshat:

Whoever did the environment design for this title cracked it out of the park, I don't think I've ever seen a game with this type of setting that flat nailed that LOTR fantasy tone, what a great game.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I ❤️ my jellyfish shield. It can even turn red and give you a physical damage buff!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Video Nasty posted:

Wait is this in the library in the Academy or further on?

I saw one in this small tower where the bottom was locked off, near the entrance to that starry night underground area.

You don't even have to fight him, he's just chilling down there doing his thing. Doesn't even really attack, just farts out blue particles, a real easy layup but I have NO idea what his whole thing is

my theory is that's actually the philosopher who lives there and his corrupted, ancient forbidden knowledge transfigured his body into WTF

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How have there been over two thousand posts since I last posted in this thread, Jesus tap dancing christ :stonk:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

I just found my solution with this insane weapon art!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvD-UCxxe4Y

What the gently caress is that and where can I get there of them at :stonklol:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Frankston posted:

drat they changed Commander O'Neil so you can't ride Torrent in his arena anymore.

Christ almighty that's a brutal debuff, I'm glad I killed him on horseback when I got the chance :stonk:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Night Comet doesn't really do a whole lot compared to Great Glintstone Shard does it? Even with the 20% buff from the Staff of Loss.

A real shame, was gonna be cool throwing up juiced-up GGS with a midnight hue, but it doesn't seem viable and takes up an extra weapons slot for the passive buff :sigh:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

put the staff of loss in the hand you're not holding a real staff in and throw it with the actually good staff

I do this already! I used the beast wizard staff thing I got in the Peninsula area, I suppose I was simply expecting a bigger damage buff than a generally similar damage output. I didn't know they had trouble dodging it, thats a handy thing to know!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm not quite sure how leveling up works in this game! 😅

I started with a samurai build when I started; does that only determine the initial base stats, and everything else you add is gonna be a simple +1 to the state you select to beef up, or is it one of those 'your level up boost that particular stat BUT also juices up every other stat across the board a bit based on your initial class selection?

I had to grind myself silly to get a high enough Intelligence stat to roll with the Crystal mine staff once I added in the Intelligence talisman.

I'm worried about becoming overleved just to get to the more exciting spells, I think I'm around the 190 range.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Well at 190 you are overleveled for all of NG, but who cares.

Ah crud :negative:

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

No, stats work the same regardless of class. The class selection effectively only limits your minimum stats, even if your respect at Rennala. So at your level, it has virtually no effect. You can do what you like and are 100% flexible. Wanna be a bit of a wizard, or all wizard? Or just a different dude? Go nuts.

Edit:
Like the other guy said, there are basically diminishing returns on things after about 40 points and a real big slowdown after 60. Between 20 and 40 points the returns sometimes accelerate. At 190 you can basically have 60 vig and still have 2 stats high enough to do practically maximum damage and enough room for endurance and mind. loving nuts!

Ok so what I'm getting from this is '60+ = No Go', and the class only works for bare base stats and not anything past!

It's weird, the only reason why I had to level that high up was cause I wanted to see what the spells looked like and how hard they hit. Also sort of random, but is the Arcane stat really worth investing in? It's easily my lowest stat, only juiced it up just enough for the bare minimum to use spells/incantations.

Second lowest stars are Vigor and Mind :v:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

And if you want to be a little cheaty magoo, Seluvis has a puppet that spams sleep arrows which is absolutely incredible if you're kinda clumsy and have a hard time cycling flasks and weapons in the heat of battle. Pretty much everything can take sleep damage, and if they don't they at least get staggered by it. So you can buy yourself 30 seconds of respite where you get a free stagger attack, or a 2 second punish window.

As someone who tried using sleep pots in harrowing boss fights till I ran out of those dang lilies to make it :argh: I can get behind in saying sleep is the most underutilized effect in the game. There's even a sword that causes the effect after enough it's, even has a sleep mist L2!

However it is a bit situational since it only works on X kind of enemies, and also the damage from the sword is not too great.

Still, if you got something and need to get some huge damage out quick, try using sleep-inducing anything in this game, don't feel bad about using that one puppet thing.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

skasion posted:

It still blows my mind that anyone just stumbles on the sewers. Haligtree and Lake of Rot are hidden af but at least they have big honking quests pointing you right into them.

TBH they seem to go all-in on the Super Duper Secret Haligtree spot, far more than any other secret area. The dude in the base talks about it a heck of a lot and I remember seeing more than a few passing references for the game mailing it to me that YOU SHOULD GO TO PLACE.

The best secret locations are the ones they never talk about until after the player discovery, that's what I really dig about the Deathroot area, etc.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Fuckin' hell, Gravity Bolt does what it wants in this game, you can reach for days with those Zushi Zushi no Mi bombs :dogstare:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone else having trouble getting Alexander to spawn pretty much anywhere? I want that jar talisman badly but this doof just won't show up anywhere; only saw him at the Festival and that's it.

He's not supposed to be locked off or anything like that, was digging around and dug up info that says this is a semi-common issue for a few other players? If this occurs you're sort of SoL, even in NG+ territory. Is there any options for this out there, maybe solutions?

EDIT: Oh good, he was just chilling at the Radahn grace, fantastic! 💪

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Can someone explain to me what Protection of the Erdtree Worship incantation does since my dumb brain can't make heads or tails of the description, please be gentle I bruise easy

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I ❤️ this game a thousand huggy deaths and you will pry it from my cold dead hands untill I'm done with it you fuckers :black101:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Guillermus posted:

drat right :hmmyes:

I leveled arcane to 16, faith to 27 (40vig, 24mind, 16end, 18str, 18dex, 11int) and I'm loving sniping stuff with frenzy blast. I'm Cyclops but actually cooler because up close I'm using a lightning infused claymore with Giant Hunt ash.

What are the recommend seals for someone that aims to get 45FTH/45ARC? I'll mix frenzy stuff with rot/bleed.

Blood thorn whips baby! Or pair one with Uzumi(?) whip, one on your dominant hand for some extra range, that T-1000 stab is no joke in a pinch, pair it with frenzy for (102) poison attack and bonus default 52 on blood loss, some real good poo poo

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Yeah, got the Urumi from Caria Manor. Need to look where the Blood Thorn one drops.

I hate that I want to do all the Volcano Manor stuff before killing Rykard for the amazing Blasphemous Blade but hey, I can wait until I unlock Mountaintop with other cool stuff.

Oh for the love of God talk to Patches after you do the first mansion assassin kill, I missed the brief 100 poise armor PvP kill window when I did that and it will forever haunt me to the grave towards NG+ :negative:

On a dumb note, is the comet azur spell card supposed to be the comet symbol from the box art of FFVII, cause if so then drat a doof is me, the last horse has finally crossed the finish line 🐎

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Does anybody have an extra magma whip candlestick they can give me? I missed the small window for one from the blind run that I'm on and I'd really like to have one for a build I'm trying to work out, but haven't a clue how any of this works since the game is so lousy with its instructionals.

If you can! :pray:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bob Socko posted:

Quick Dung Eater Puppet update: got the option to buy him after showing Seluvis’s letter of introduction to Sellen? Must be some minor quirk in Seluvis’s decision tree.

I keep hearing about all these cool puppet shenanigans, but Seluvis dies halfway during the game before I could get any further puppet options. I'm guessing I completed another quest too early or too soon at a point and it meant he got killed somehow because of it :confused:

I will have to make sure to play my NG+ a bit straight and narrower so he sticks around long enough. Anyone have advice on which things I should avoid doing in order to buy all of his puppets later?

White Light fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 8, 2022

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How long were they working on this game again? Trying to wrap my mind around how they managed to cram as much content in as short of a window as they did, this feels like three normal dev window's worth of content :dogstare:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

redreader posted:

So does the shard of Alexander, buff my envoy long horn bubble L2 attack?

Yup, if it's a weapons skill it's gonna jack up the damage

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm making some Elden Ring fanart ❤️

Can you guess who it is?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Close enough, good job everybody!

EDIT: Ew top post

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Chiquita banana lady.

This is also acceptable! I do love my banana looking weapons :3:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Almost logged 500 hours of time into my file ❤️

Just about ready for my NG+ run! 👏

EDIT: gently caress totp again :cry:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

a kitten posted:

Now that I* finally killed Malenia, does using the gold needle do anything at all if I haven't triggered the chaos ending? Dialogue or something?

*someone else

You could do that one quest that snags you the nifty Frenzy Flame seal(?) that enhances all of your FF incantations (also weights 0!), then use the needle to undo the locked-in ending.

The burns will still stay there, but will be removed on NG+!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Grayshift posted:

The burns can also be turned off in the cosmetics mirror, like the eye alterations.

I heard my buddy tell me this yesterday but he wasn't sure, thanks for confirming this for me!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I really do not like those bubble people in the Haligtree, they are such jerks and those magic defense talismans don't do jack against bubble damage :(

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Do we know a whole lot about the Death Prince? If it wasn't for the named Prince of Death's staff and that one quest with the lady having his baby(?) I would barely know he was a thing.

Sounds neat! I bet you get some sweet perks from being a death prince.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

The Prince is Godwyn. He is a child of Marika and Godfrey, brother to Morgot, Mogh. Either father, brother or uncle to Godrick and Godefroy.
He was a really cool dude, and his parent's favourite.
Got his soul killed by his half-sister Ranni and so he became the Prince of Death.

It is unclear if he is even conscious, signs point to no.

THAT'S him?! loving hell, my mind, she is blown :psyboom:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anybody out together some good Blue Dancer charm builds? I tend to use dual whips with the charm, I try my best to get around 17-ish in weight, anywhere between 10-20 is gonna give you the best damage booster.

It's hella fun but naturally two good hits will kill you quick. I'm dying to find a way to get each of my weapons to crack the 1000 mark if possible without folding like a paper doll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why are we supposed to kill Maliketh again?

Aside from that one roid rage incident he was pretty cool, he even gave me some sweet poo poo for taking all that rancid death off my hands. Feels bad that I had to put a bullet in Old Yeller's head :(