Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Phobophilia posted:

I feel like if an enemy hits me sufficiently hard on a platform then I 100% deserve to be flung straight off that platform to my painful demise.
same except also if I press r1 near and facing the edge I deserve to fall off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

Yeah he’s excellent. I don’t think they really topped him in the mid size dragon weight class.
most of the dragon fights later on in the series are better since they have less fucky collision issues where he rotates around and awkwardly pushes you with his legs. ancient dragon being the exception because it's just really boring

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RatHat posted:

For dragon fights I've always liked Sinh more than Midir. I guess I'd rank them Sinh>Midir>Kalameet>>>>>>Ancient Dragon.
:hmmyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
swords are just pointy hammers, like how morningstars are pointy maces

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Some weird historical revisionism going on in this thread, Dark Souls 1 defintiely had its own elemental/magic nerfs, and Elden Ring is probably gonna get its own balance patches. Just learn to live with it.
anyone else remember when iron flesh had no movement penalty lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nuns with Guns posted:

while the parries were made easier because the signal for a successful one is bigger and more obvious.
???

parries that are active instantly are so, so much easier than parries with a windup. you can slap a silver knight's sword away with your bare hand in ds1 and it feels about the same as using a shield(read:easy), ds2 requires you to actually get a feel for how long it takes before your parry's active frames start

like, most parry tools take around 1/4th of a second to actually get to the part where it does anything in ds2, and the whole animation is always over a full second(61 frames on 'fast' small shields') so you're vulnerable super long on a whiff.
in ds1 there's no startup at all and the whole animation never takes more than 27 frames

dodgeblan posted:

that's how you know if something is good in a souls game, the best stuff is always optional
ah yes, the best stuff in ds2: bellfry gargoyles, royal rat authority, frozen outskirts...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Brandfarlig posted:

The bell towers kick rear end and the rewards are easily reason enough to go there. At least the first one.
the bell tower pvp is ok. the gargoyles, pretty lame

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Colonel Whitey posted:

See, my hope is that Miyazaki has enough taste to remove those GRRMish elements
oh, dear brother...

rise, if you would...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/YasuhiroKitao/status/1496512386735677443

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheMostFrench posted:

Char creation

Yessss crazy faces are back.

this is the most important news of all btw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vintersorg posted:

Those replies are hilarious. Like, if it's not for you cool but don't loving drag perfection down.
but every game needs to be made for mass consumption, with all the edges rounded off to be as broadly and generically appealing as possible. strange

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FishMcCool posted:

The art is neat,

:hmmyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

stratdax posted:

So the game design really is just "die to some enemy 60 times until you memorize exactly which frame to press the block and counterattack buttons"? Like there's no way of knowing or reading or planning how to engage with an enemy until you die a bunch?
the time to dodge/block is right after the big man with the sword has hefted his sword up to prepare to hit you, hope this helps

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
margit kicked my rear end for a while before I beat him but I just bulldozed over godrick first try lol

maybe he should take some pointers from the guy hanging out on his porch

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Anyone know of some good places to find Smithing Stone [1]s?
map screenshots:

2 cave locations that both contain a lot of them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GlyphGryph posted:

I want to get this game but half the reviews on Steam are about how it is literally unplayable because of poo poo performance and stuttering so bad the combat becomes impossible. To what extent has that been a problem for you all?
there's some fps drops. nothing super severe and mostly when entering new areas or sometimes exploring on the overworld

that's it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Some people may consider the following spoilers, but really it's just advice to avoid loving up things with an npc semi-permanently in an obtuse way. And it's in the early areas.

You should probably click through this spoiler tag if you are playing a sorceries character.
So the basic sorceries vendor is here-

-but, for some reason, she also shows up down here.

In Witchbane ruins she's got crystals on her hands binding her to the walls and is mumbling about torture.
She hasn't been abducted, she's just... in both places at once.

If you attack to try and break the crystals to free her(like I did, aiming at them with a crossbow), you'll just aggro her permanently. Once that's done, she will vanish from the first location as a spell vendor. So just leave her alone here.

To my knowledge there is a consumable later on in the game that sets angry NPCs back to normal, so hopefully that can fix this. But in general, don't make my mistake!

sigher posted:

This is total bullshit, the game wouldn't be getting reviewed as bad as it has been if the performance wasn't "super severe." The performance issues are genuinely terrible and it's baffling this made it through QC.
Ok? Clearly the issues are not consistent because my performance issues are not anywhere near that bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

So what does time of day actually affect in this game? I see you can wait to change it…is there a point, or just cosmetic?
there are night cavalry minibosses that only show up at night in various places

one of them gives you a sick 3-headed flail

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

satanic splash-back posted:

This game hands out neat strength weapons like candy in the early game but is really stingy with dexterity weapons, am I wrong?
I feel like I have a lot of cool dex weapons. nightrider flail, pest's glaive, falchion, estoc, ivory sickle, bloodhound's fang etc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

he is talking about his eyeballs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

my look is really coming together

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

bike tory posted:

Yeah for a game series that always goes to ridiculous lengths to disguise its systems behind in-world stuff, this is a really questionable choice. All the other games have done it, why would they not here?
they did the exact same thing with coldblood in bloodborne

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

School Nickname posted:

Parry is a meme in this game though.
compared to what? there's multiple parryable bosses I've already encountered so it feels more useful in that context than in most fromsoft games

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JBP posted:

How do you get into turtle towers btw? I fought and info tip that said I should clear its feet but it doesn't seem to do anything when I run around killing all the dudes on the ground.
if you mean the walking bell towers, they have like... skull crystal growths on their feet you have to smash

once you get enough of them it will fall down, so get out from underneath it at that point(or become pancake, skeleton)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that one teleport trap is one of the best things in the game btw

Cowcaster posted:

i think he means the skill "parry" as opposed to the very easy and much better "guard counter"
yeah, that's also what I mean. I'm not super far in and there's already been multiple bosses I can parry

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lid posted:

Anyone else stumbled on Dragonkin Soldier while exploring Siofra?
this whole area is absolutely wild

just one bizarre new thing after another

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
knight artorias has reached his final evolutionary form

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

terrorist ambulance posted:

The skill is "buckler parry" rather than "parry", which suggests there's a difference. The elden ring wiki says the small shield parry is faster
traditionally in these games there's several different levels of parry, with things like small shields and parrying daggers having either faster startup, more active parry frames, or both. it's early enough that the wiki might not know exactly what is better about small shield parries but there's no chance they aren't better in at least one way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sigher posted:

Yeah, especially with bosses. It's pretty annoying.

Currently on Leonine Misbegotten. Everything he does tracks you stupidly, pivots on loving everything, will cancel his animations if you hit him during some openings, his sword might as well be a club with some of the bullshit hitboxes it has and you can barely space yourself because every single attack he has just brings him closer to you really fast.

A lot of this game really feels like, "Strike once, wait for the perfect opening after a length string of 6 hits that will combo the poo poo out of you if you're caught in it, strike once and never think about doing multiple hits because you'll be hosed."
this guy is one of the parryable bosses btw(and is also ripostable)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbf souls game input buffers are really huge for no goddamn reasons and it leads to incorrect inputs

but it is also true that if you clean up your inputs instead of mashing the problem basically goes away

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pentyne posted:

How do you know if you've aggro'd an NPC?

I'm in the Village of the Albinarics and immediately nearby there's a flute playing person. When I approach he attacks immediately. The only reason I think I might've accidently hit him prior to this is I've seen him use a flask to heal, which I've never seen for any other enemy.
that's not an NPC, just an enemy that plays a flute when not aggro'd

very sekiro tbh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pentyne posted:

For the mines, does the wall loot (smithing stones) regenerate? Do plants and open world collectibles like that regenerate?
no and yes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pentyne posted:

so other then raising "discovery" through Arcane is there any way to improve drop rates?
there's a consumable that does, but really just moving forward and finding new places is the way to go. I haven't farmed smithing stone drops at all.
you shouldn't be too worried about smithing stones because eventually you will be able to buy unlimited amounts of them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

codo27 posted:

I disregard all talk of mkb in FROM games despite being a devout user for anything with guns. Yet I play all these games with this ridiculous claw grip in which I use my thumb to pan the camera while curling my index finger and using that to hold sprint.
this is why I always rebind dodge/sprint to left bumper

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Thundercracker posted:

Just a hint for weapons dilettantes like me. After clearing Stormveil there's a blacksmith in the next map that sells infinite smithing stones 1 and 2. He's in the open world, hard to miss, and can be beelined to following the road.
there's also an item you can get in a cave and give to the twin finger ladies in the keep that lets them sell those

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
apparently the reason that you only get 70% of runes back from your bloodstain in stormveil castle is because that "go the other way, the guards won't know you're coming tehe" is stealing them. if you kill him you get them back and will go back to recovering 100% runes after death again.

(also he is apparently the guy who locks the door behind you in that one room, because it doesn't hapoen if he's dead)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I like to mount on the run, so flipping to the horse and hitting X is easier than stopping to take both my thumbs off the sticks to hit Y+Dpad
I put it on the left pouch slot so that I can use it by pressing left dpad with the side of my thumb while still moving

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
thops' barrier joining a long and proud lineage of janky and mostly useless spell deflection effects

beep by grandpa posted:

Thanks but i'm more confused now - I have a bunch of these little Talisman guys in my inventory and no idea what is on or off or even if I have any Talisman pouches
the spot(s) to equip talismans is below where your armor pieces go.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGVE55IVH0
this weapon is loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

bike tory posted:

Ugh so apparently Patches sells a specific anti-Margit item. This probably would've helped!

it's so funny to me that I'm way past margit and still have absolutely no idea where patches is