Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Margit feels like a really weirdly tuned boss. Trying to fight him straight up feels more difficult than an end-game boss in DS3 - he killed me more times than Nameless King. I gave up on "learning" him and used my summon to distract him and just wailed on him with charged R2s during the second phase and beat him first try.

The summons add a lot of chaos to the fights, which is actually really fun, but playing that way feels very different than traditional From boss fights.

Meanwhile, the boss at the end of the castle was much, much easier than Margit... go figure. No complaints, game is a blast, just very curious to see how the major boss fights progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Wanted to pop in and say that I am *constantly* blown away by how gigantic this map is. Every time I think it can’t expand further, it does and the aesthetics of each zone continue to leave me in awe.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

DeathChicken posted:

And I beat Margit. Through the cheapest way possible, bringing in that summon outside the door and a jellyfish, then playing hit him in the back whenever he wasn't paying attention. But gently caress it, I'll take it

This is hours ago for me, but the what. I thought the jellyfish was a summon? It's a separate thing?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sponges posted:

So uh… what should I be doing? I’m just kinda wandering around killin’ things.

What have you done already? The first site of grace you encounter after the tutorial cave has a trail of light leading you towards the general path of progress. There's also a guy standing nearby who will give you a bit of guidance. Follow that light, and you'll find another site, a merchant, and an anvil with which to smith. Keep following it and you'll get your horse and the ability to level up. Keep following that, and you'll run into an area that will likely kick your rear end until you upgrade your poo poo and get a bit stronger.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Artelier posted:

This is hours ago for me, but the what. I thought the jellyfish was a summon? It's a separate thing?

There's the jellyfish summon and then an NPC priest summon right outside the boss door

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bardeh posted:

according to my Steam achievements, 23% of people have beaten Leonine Misbegotten, and 42% Margit, so it really does look like most people are bashing their heads against the most difficult initial path instead of taking some time to explore and get stronger

i think it's a completely understandable issue since from's past decade of work has been games where repeatedly beating your head against the next boss in sequence until you win is the core thrust of gameplay, and elden ring looks and smells so much like DS3 that it'd probably pass a taste test

i know miyazaki likes being obtuse, but if we've reached the point of having popup tutorials, having the maiden tap you on the shoulder and say, "hey, dude. maybe you should try exploring some more and getting stronger first" after death #5 might not've gone amiss

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

GutBomb posted:

Special thanks to good goon goferchan who saw my post about my kid’s machine not meeting the minimum requirements and offering me an incredible deal on a 1060 so we could co-op together. Got the card today and we’ve been having a great time.

Jolly Cooperation

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
My hot take is that DS 1 & 2 had the best bosses, because you could read their movements and actually plausibly beat them on the first try. A guy looks like he's going to swing a sword from the left? He'll probably do that. You can try parrying / blocking if it looks like a lighter hit / dodging / just moving out of the way. (Well there's Bed of Chaos etc. too, to be fair)

Now it's just memorization, since boss attacks seem to usually have a 'gotcha' where instead of recovering the enemy just instantly does something random you had no way of seeing. Then there's stuff like the Fringefolk boss where I can't even make out which parts of the flailing mess I'm supposed to avoid in the first place, if the camera is showing it at all.

Game is great, tho. Just feels like arbitrary difficulty to keep adding stuff like that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can't stop watching sunhi legend disintegrate magrit to his constituent atoms on loop

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

Spirit ashes and summonable help are 2 different things and ya can use both on bosses.

There are those little T-pose shrine looking things you activate, and then the summon sign will appear near the boss fog door, if any are avaliable. so far all the ones i've used are computer controlled, not sure how to summon other real players in or if none appeared for me. not been really trying though

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

KidDynamite posted:

it's what gets me in trouble for sure. but after that video of pro margit i'm trying to adjust my playstyle to the combat system. i wish it was like sekiro and you could parry easily and dodge cancel and have better i-frames and non of this input queue stuff.

KidDynamite posted:

please shut up. it's muscle memory from games with dodge cancels. i double tap dodge more than i'd like.

input queue is bad. it's ok that there's bad things in this fantastic game.

:razz:

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a goddamn Sauron tower in NE Liurnia that causes madness if it can see you and is filled with giant rats. Not pleasant.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Willfrey posted:

Spirit ashes and summonable help are 2 different things and ya can use both on bosses.

There are those little T-pose shrine looking things you activate, and then the summon sign will appear near the boss fog door, if any are avaliable. so far all the ones i've used are computer controlled, not sure how to summon other real players in or if none appeared for me. not been really trying though

you explicitly can't have ash summons while having human beings summoned, so it sounds like npc summons are exempt from that rule

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

you explicitly can't have ash summons while having human beings summoned, so it sounds like npc summons are exempt from that rule

you can absolutely ratfuck bosses with an NPC summon and ashes, yeah. it's very explicitly the easymode "do you just wanna fire off magic in the background" option

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hey guys this boss with an enormous amount of health and oddly complex attack chains really feels like a mid-game boss. Why is this guy an early-game boss? What gives?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i lol at the billion reshades that show up whenever a new game launches. they look at an art direction that took years to make and go "lol i can do it better" and change a few sliders

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbf souls game input buffers are really huge for no goddamn reasons and it leads to incorrect inputs

but it is also true that if you clean up your inputs instead of mashing the problem basically goes away

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How do you know if you've aggro'd an NPC?

I'm in the Village of the Albinarics and immediately nearby there's a flute playing person. When I approach he attacks immediately. The only reason I think I might've accidently hit him prior to this is I've seen him use a flask to heal, which I've never seen for any other enemy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

sponges posted:

So uh… what should I be doing? I’m just kinda wandering around killin’ things.

Wander around killing things to find sweet loot and get stronger. When you feel like it, follow the golden "guidance of grace" trails to find one of the story related bosses. Murder them all to get their pieces of the (title drop incoming) Elden Ring, then put them all together and idk win the game or something

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I accidentally threw myself into the giant hole in the middle of Stormveil Castle and I think I saw beyond the veil and perceived poo poo I shouldn't have. :stare:

I fell a very long way to my death... right next to the giant severed melted head of what I can only describe as a lovecraftian horror.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pentyne posted:

How do you know if you've aggro'd an NPC?

I'm in the Village of the Albinarics and immediately nearby there's a flute playing person. When I approach he attacks immediately. The only reason I think I might've accidently hit him prior to this is I've seen him use a flask to heal, which I've never seen for any other enemy.
that's not an NPC, just an enemy that plays a flute when not aggro'd

very sekiro tbh

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah double tapping dodge reflexively is button mashing. You got me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've come back around on the Rapier. It's an excellent 1v1 weapon, and for some reason extremely effective at disrupting them? When fighting the spear/shield knights I can just R1 them to death because every attack interrupts their action. Super efficient at the stamina too.

For the mines, does the wall loot (smithing stones) regenerate? Do plants and open world collectibles like that regenerate?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

you gotta jump off the balcony in the roundhome or whatever and defeat an icy foe

I beat that dude already

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Found a horrible diseased plague dog and they're an extremely Good Dog to summon.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pentyne posted:

For the mines, does the wall loot (smithing stones) regenerate? Do plants and open world collectibles like that regenerate?
no and yes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Orv posted:

There's a goddamn Sauron tower in NE Liurnia that causes madness if it can see you and is filled with giant rats. Not pleasant.

I just metal geared that poo poo and made it to the cultist casting the eye and killed the last as the spell popped, which killed me. There's a PVP church nearby in range so I want to clear this poo poo proper before heading there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

I've come back around on the Rapier. It's an excellent 1v1 weapon, and for some reason extremely effective at disrupting them? When fighting the spear/shield knights I can just R1 them to death because every attack interrupts their action. Super efficient at the stamina too.

elden ring likely uses the exact same poise system as DS3, where enemies are staggered by every hit unless they're doing an attack that gives them hyperarmor, and i doubt the spear knights have any of those

some of the later enemies, like the axe soldiers in stormveil, get hyperarmor when prepping a swing and will absolutely murder light weapon users if you don't block/dodge

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i can't stop watching sunhi legend disintegrate magrit to his constituent atoms on loop

:same:

And while it was nowhere near as smooth, it seems to have inspired me and i got him down a bit ago myself. It turns out that not panic rolling and a little patience can go a long way, even if you're bad like me. I then did a victory tour and went South and cleared out a castle, then finally got rid of the tree knight who's been hanging around like he owns the place since i first walked out of the tutorial.

I also went to buy some weapon arts and found something cool well, something alarming: instead of the regular guy there was a giant rear end Bell Bearing Hunter(?) npc invader who made absolute mincemeat out of me. Once i reloaded at that bonfire right there everything was back to normal though. Crazy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm of two minds if posting hats is a spoiler.

Just cracked 52 Int, which means I can equip Comet. Pebble's efficiency comes in at 38.57 with a hit of 270. Comet comes in at 13.15 with a hit of 500. A single Comet is worth less than two Pebbles. The gently caress.

Also saw something so weird I had to go back and reproduce it and I'm still convinced it's a mistake. Corian Slicer, the 4 FP beginning tier melee spell, hit for 273 which gave it 68.25 efficiency. Granted, that's the equivalent of standing in melee mashing R1 with a light weapon (you die) but it was such a weird outlier that I ran out slicing the camp up with it. The Greatsword variant doesn't have that kind of efficiency so that might just be a mistake From made.

Short Sword +3 1h R1 went from 89 (Int scaling) to 170 (Standard scaling) with Magic Weapon Scholar's Armaments applied. That's not terrible when you consider it's only 25 FP.

Everything else tested was pretty much poo poo. If I could ever find the ashes that gives you the soulmass swords like in the CNT I'll probably laugh as it massively outdamages the hilariously terrible spell version. Star Shower, a 36 FP spell, hit for 390. It gets the biggest turd award.

Going to see what the spell scaling on these other catalysts comes out to upgraded. I suspect they're going to be reasonably higher than the low Int freebie S scaling option. Thank you for reading another dumbass post about sorcery. Also thanks to that one patrolling shield knight in Gatefront Ruins for taking dozens of spells in the back for science.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GeekyManatee posted:

Wanted to pop in and say that I am *constantly* blown away by how gigantic this map is. Every time I think it can’t expand further, it does and the aesthetics of each zone continue to leave me in awe.

Yeah I keep wanting to post about stuff related to this but i'd be so sad if I spoiled it for anybody lol. It's seriously multiple times now I've been blown away by it, and I could probably write an essay on how the world map screen works, but it's brilliant. The first time you zoom all the way out it looks loving huge, and then you get teleported somewhere further away and the borders expand and it blows your mind, then you get teleported to somewhere SIGNIFICANTLY further away and it happens again. And at some point you make it underground and realize there's a whole second layer lol.

While the world is probably quite smaller than massive stuff like Assassin's Creed or whatever the way it gives you that sense of scale is continually mindblowing. It's something I have never seen a game pull off before.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
100 markers is not enough

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
late game boss spoiler

ITS FUCKIN MARGIT

THATS WHY HE WAS SO HARD

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mailer posted:

Just cracked 52 Int, which means I can equip Comet. Pebble's efficiency comes in at 38.57 with a hit of 270. Comet comes in at 13.15 with a hit of 500. A single Comet is worth less than two Pebbles. The gently caress.

Also saw something so weird I had to go back and reproduce it and I'm still convinced it's a mistake. Corian Slicer, the 4 FP beginning tier melee spell, hit for 273 which gave it 68.25 efficiency. Granted, that's the equivalent of standing in melee mashing R1 with a light weapon (you die) but it was such a weird outlier that I ran out slicing the camp up with it. The Greatsword variant doesn't have that kind of efficiency so that might just be a mistake From made.

Short Sword +3 1h R1 went from 89 (Int scaling) to 170 (Standard scaling) with Magic Weapon Scholar's Armaments applied. That's not terrible when you consider it's only 25 FP.

Everything else tested was pretty much poo poo. If I could ever find the ashes that gives you the soulmass swords like in the CNT I'll probably laugh as it massively outdamages the hilariously terrible spell version. Star Shower, a 36 FP spell, hit for 390. It gets the biggest turd award.

Going to see what the spell scaling on these other catalysts comes out to upgraded. I suspect they're going to be reasonably higher than the low Int freebie S scaling option. Thank you for reading another dumbass post about sorcery. Also thanks to that one patrolling shield knight in Gatefront Ruins for taking dozens of spells in the back for science.

hmm, i might rip the ashes off my longsword that give it int scaling and go back to using magic weapon, the skill on them sucks anyway (although come to think of it i bought a few more and meant to try them out to see if they're any better and completely forgot, agh)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

so other then raising "discovery" through Arcane is there any way to improve drop rates?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

so other then raising "discovery" through Arcane is there any way to improve drop rates?

you can eat a silver-pickled fowl foot to temporarily boost discovery, and, much like in other from games, i assume there's a handful of individual armor pieces that boost item discovery out there

Orv
May 4, 2011
SunhiLegend is an absolutely great twitter follow. I'm pretty okay at character action games, better than a fair chunk if I'm gonna be a dick about it. They make me look like a pawless dog trying to fly the space shuttle.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mailer posted:

also i checked to be sure and with comet was this analysis taking into account it says to hold the button?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mailer posted:

Care to post your gear and/or your build? I feel like I’m spinning my wheels right now bouncing from boss to boss without making any progress now that I’m in my 40s and poo poo is just wrecking me. If I have to kill a few hours tomorrow farming runes and readjusting my build so I can make progress again I’m down I just need direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pentyne posted:

there's a consumable that does, but really just moving forward and finding new places is the way to go. I haven't farmed smithing stone drops at all.
you shouldn't be too worried about smithing stones because eventually you will be able to buy unlimited amounts of them