Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite like the imp dungeons but jesus mary and joseph I hate the loving chariot dungeons.

About the only part of the game I dread playing through again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I missed the entrance to the forested area on the map in upper siofra river.

On my faith character.

Gee this game doesn't have any high tier attack spells for faith huh..?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vermain posted:

dragonmaw is the most damaging single hit spell in the game from what i recall, although you have to some legwork setting up physical damage boosts to make it truly comical

Yeah there's plenty of use in the build but I would have liked to know about that one mega faith spell in the roots area that I think you can only get to by finding the hidden path at the back of the hidden path in siofra river if only to justify putting too many points in it. Sorcery gives you a pile of poo poo you want 50 int for and I was wondering where the gently caress all my idiot faith investment gear was.

Also kinda wish there were more things you could do with pure caster int/faith other than the sword of night and flame, which admittedly is pretty good, but a couple of int/faith spells would be welcome.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 27, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cassian of Imola posted:

Gelmir was fine, yeah, and the solution felt clever after the other two trained you to try to destroy the chariots.

You can destroy the chariots..?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does Ranni sacrifice herself? I thought the point of her thing was that everyone's dying to launch her into space and if you're annoying enough you can be her tagalong waifu/hasubando.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kild posted:

You find her corpse. She steals (a part of?) destined death just to destroy her own body

She doesn't seem enormously bothered by that tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Me but literally any enemy I didn't like the look of.

I did my first playthrough and once I got the spear chucker ash I stuck it on my guardian spear and never took it off. See something you don't like the look of? Chuck a spear at it from across the level. If it survives, chuck another one.

luv me spear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I'm still not clear on whether it's "skeletons are legal" or "skeletons are mandatory (you are now a skeleton)" if you do that.

You are already a skeleton just heavily clothed. People are prudish about skeleton nudity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What happens if you run directly to morgott without encountering him before? Cos you don't have to fight him at stormveil.

I assume he just fucks off and that boss doesn't spawn but does he have anything to say about you not doing the whole nemesis thing with him?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vermain posted:

did they ever remove that weird loving encounter where gostoc shapeshifts into margit outside of leyndell randomly, i don't think i ran into it this time around

Wait I thought he just like, dropped out of the sky or something, presumably that's what the craters are from. Lots of margits falling on people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

just realized the lone wolf ashes is three wolves

you get a special armour piece if you summon them and then cast rennala's full moon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That was a joke, alas.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm pretty sure it's just a Three Wolf Moon joke

Yes, it was this, i.e if you cast 3 wolf moon you get the t shirt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

You can absolutely just refuse to dodge behind a shield against most/all bosses, but that's a dedicated build and definitely only even remotely possible with greatshields. There's even a strength scaling great spear that can take infusions for shield poking. It's also a bit dull, but once you get bored you have a fully functional strength build already to play around with.

I've been having a surprising amount of fun with the pike just being a dickhead with massive range. Was tempted to go for a full phalanx build but I might end up doing dex/faith to see how many status effects I can do at once.

Also re: fashion souls I keep gravitating to the carian knight armour every single game because I cannot resist being The Fanciest Lad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 19, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man I really struggle to pick a loving build because I always want to do everything.

Best I am managing to narrow this down to is some sort of faith/dex/arc build because I want to use all the incants and some dragon stuff and also I like the cross naginata but I also put a bunch into strength because I wanted to use some of those weapons too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cover myself in arms and equip them all with spears, play as phalanx.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It continues to amuse me that the game cannot display the word "knight" in multiplayer but I just had a cooperative experience with "scarlet rotussy" uncensored lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally if a weapon requires int it's one that you kinda want to use as a sorceror, and is designed to give you good damage with no physical stats.

There is at least one exception to that rule but most of the ones you find lying around are that kind of weapon, so they probably won't make super good weapons if you aren't speccing heavily into int. Same goes for faith actually. Couple of useful weapons maybe and some that also require investment into physical stats, but if it's just "a normal sword with a fth/int requirement" it's probably mostly designed for casters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I am thinking of things like the carian sword, clayman's harpoon, crystal weapons maybe, sword of night and flame perhaps?

Wing of astel is very good just because it has the busted skill and the ranged strong attack and I would use it on any character but otherwise I've never really seen a weapon out in the field with an int requirement that I thought "this would really work well for my mostly physical character" because if you're picking up physical stats you can use the high dex and str weapons which IMO are generally better?

I'm sure there are things like the radahn greatswords that are also int weapons but I can't think of much that you just find lying around that ever made me want to multiclass into int just to hit people with it. Wing of astel is great, sword of night and flame is also really cool but you need a lot of magic stat investment to even wield it so I'd still call it a caster weapon. Other than that there's not much that appeals. Does the cold rapier have an int requirement? Maybe that if you're desperate but I don't enormously like thrusting swords and if you're used to using a greatsword you'll probably hate them because they handle completely differently and you can't just twat people with them to make them stop hitting you. If you want to shoot ice at people then ice spear on a spear is much more versatile and effective.

It is correct that if you're a wizard your actual melee weapon is secondary but if you've put your points into casting you might as well use a weapon that does have a scaling stat you can use, your "hitting people with a stick" damage is always going to be worse because you put your points into spells but magic scaling weapons at least give you an easy way to access some scaling damage with the stats you've already raised.

I might generally prefer to go with a non-magic weapon just to buff it instead of course.

But yeah, my point is that int/fth requirement weapons that aren't clearly built for physical characters like also requiring massive str or dex, are generally not very good weapons IMO. Except for the ones that are very much built for casters like the sword of night and flame. Most of them are just mediocre weapons that happen to scale well with casting stats so they become a viable choice for casters.

Maybe some of the gravity weapons might appeal, I dunno I never really got much out of them, gravity is for throwing rocks at people with magic, the pushing and pulling people around abilities never really got me that far. Possibly useful in PVP I assume.

High physical requirement weapons have things like bleed built in, good movesets, good stagger, good range, good damage scaling. So if you can use those I think you'd be better off with one of them. Being able to wield those is part of the appeal of a physical build. There's not much IMO in the magic-requirement weapons that can compete in terms of utility as a weapon except for a couple of specific examples.

If you want to try out int weapons you can probably manage it with a mix of talismans, godrick great rune, and wondrous physick. That should get you enough to activate abilities on most of them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 23, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you not use the finger severer?

Or I guess spam bloody slash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't particularly like being a dick and invading people is kind of being a dick.

I didn't mind the bell covenants in DS2 because that's like, you entered the dick zone, fair enough. Also it's fun to do stupid gimmick builds in those like bringing a greatbow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ehh, sort of. You still have the entire level on your side. It's not very hard to be enough of a pain in the arse that it scuppers their chances of beating the boss.

Some people might enjoy it but I don't know that for any given player, which is why I only do cooperation and focus on being ablative armour for the host and pointing out secrets they missed. It would be nice if you got, like, consumable runes for getting the host to a new bonfire but I still enjoy helping them through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've had a few summons into the approach to bestial sanctum, that big gargoyle is a right fucker. One guy was just summoning people and throwing them at the boss and then running away when they died to get more.

Which is fair enough honestly, it's a horrible bastard to fight and it has shitloads of hitpoints. I just chucked all my black fireballs at it until I ran out then died, got summoned twice for the same guy, still didn't kill the bugger.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

The general guideline I use is to raise vigor to around half my total level - so boost it to 20 by Level 40, 30 by Level 60, and so on. Going all-in on vigor early on runs into the problem where your flasks fail to keep up, so they end up restoring only a paltry bit of your health bar until they're upgraded.

After maybe the first church visit I have never ever had an issue with flasks not healing 100% of my bars lol. If anything the opposite problem, I get all these loving upgrades that are completely useless.

You can collect those so fast before beating bosses I'm astonished they even bothered to put them in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did try to scarlet rot the gargoyle on the basis that when I inevitably die maybe it'll still cark it afterwards.

Used all my flasks on rotten breath then looked it up and lol it's immune to all status effects.

Also just got blue summoned to help a guy out and killed the invader with a spectral lance from across the map. God I love spectral lance so much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of the low-mid level faith spells are essentially duplicating consumables. You get a bunch of curative and defensive buffs as well as magic firebomb. They're useful but if you have plenty of consumables you can use them instead.

I would say that regen/healing is probably the biggest use, because that means out of direct threat you can recover your health more efficiently without using full flasks on healing. Also having access to fire/lightning attacks is handy.

Dragon spells are not the most powerful things in the world but rotten breath is an easy way to inflict rot on bosses, and they have a wide area so if you want to clear out a room full of weak guys they can be helpful.

Probably the most helpful low level faith can be is giving you access to flame cleanse me and regen, which makes scarlet rot a lot less annoying because you can cure it trivially and stave off the HP loss.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 25, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are the beastie boy incants good without using the beast seal? I always found them a bit underwhelming.

The regen buff is good, but the damage ones are a little mediocre I feel, especially given how close range they are. The seal helps, presumably more if you're str focused, but especially without incant scaling I dunno that I'd use them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's also annoying that talismans are now seals and rings are now talismans. Never gonna get that right in my head.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Listerine posted:

What's a good halberd in mid-to-end game? I was using the one that drops from the Revenger earlier on, but now I've found a bunch more.

Guardian swordspear is great but not much like any other halberd.

Cross naginata is technically a spear but behaves more like a halberd.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can I interest you in the spectral lance ash of war :v:

If you're already specced for just hitting people with things then all you need is a spear or halberd type weapon and some smithing stones.

It hits pretty solid, has incredible range (is affected by arrow's reach talisman) and tracks a little too. Only downside is if the enemy is physically short then it tends to hit at their feet unless you're fairly close. But it's great for staggering stuff and you can technically headshot people with it.

If you use the short spear it's only a little heavier than a seal and very FP efficient. Plus you can also hit people with the spear if you want to.

Honestly whatever character I build I end up picking up spectral lance because it's just so incredibly useful to be able to hoy a spear at some fucker from across the map. Great for pulling enemies, knocking flying bastards out of the sky, shooting dragons in the head, finishing off people who try to run. Probably my #1 AoW in the game honestly, much as I love nebula I use spectral lance far more.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 30, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do miss having the greatshield dunk, there's shield bash and shield crash which are both cool but DS2 if you pressed L2 with a greatshield it would just dunk the bottom of it onto the enemy's head and flatten them. So much fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a spell specifically that shoots people in the back, very good for dodge or shield focused enemies. Also quite good on players.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

Ya thats magical downpour, although I haven't found it yet.

So everyone is just saying to parry him, I'll try that. Didn't even think of that because I been just kiting all enemies with the mage build.

Ambush shard, literally spawns a projectile directly behind the enemy and shoots it at them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does the coiled shield do so much loving damage unupgraded? And why is it the most poisonous thing in the game lmao?

Not sure I can make a build around it but it kinda rules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does the front door of leyndell go straight into the lake?

Does everyone have to go through that one hallway and use the lift to get in?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't think they were the same city cos the architecture is quite different.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ulio posted:

So whats generally the strategy for Runebears, they remind me of Headless in Sekiro just pure annoyance to fight no matter what build you are running.

Honestly I find them one of the easier enemies to dodge. Especially given how much they fly around the place, a number of their attacks you can just walk around them to avoid and they don't have any stupid delays or weird combos. They do have a good bit of health but not much armour so any high dps attacks should work. Curved sword or punchyfist weapons etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To contrast rune bears the death rite birds are just utter bullshit, lots of stupid attacks, the design of the enemy itself makes it a pain in the dick to try to fight with melee weapons, same problem as with the gargoyles, the attacky bit of the boss is at the front and above but the actual body of the boss you can attack with most weapons is way behind it. And it loves to do attacks that keep it away from you and attack you from above with hit patterns you just have to memorize because they have no tells. There's a bunch of enemies in the game that are just maximum souls game bullshit all condensed into a single enemy and the only sensible thing to do is just figure out whatever gives you the greatest mechanical leverage against them and do not engage with them properly.

A runebear is basically just a big dude who keeps trying to punch you to death, but death rite birds are like trying to fight a mine flail in hand to hand combat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

They all drop Larval Tears, which means they're some form of mimic.

I was assuming that rennala got poo poo faced one night and flew around the lands between squeezing out not-bears all over the place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

So following the thread's advice, I found the Sacred Blade ash, put it on the Celebrant's Skull (which is one of the few weapon I've put upgrade materials into), and crafted some Holy Pots. It still took a couple of tries, but it made a major difference against the Death Rite Bird, and I managed to beat it.

I've made it to Castle Sol, but I'm still wondering if I should invest into another weapon. I like the Bloodhound's Fang (which is at +8) a lot, but I think this is the second time it's been ill-suited for a fight. The first time I think was the Valiant Gargoyles, and that's when I leveled the Celebrant's Skull and Great Stars, but only to about +13/+14.

The only other weapons I've upgraded are the Uchigatana (which I used to deal with the rats in Castle Sol, since the Fang was too slow), and the Nightrider Flail. I know I asked about Rivers of Blood, and Moonveil was mentioned, but I'm thinking of a weapon I can modify with an Ash of War if I need to change the element. The Celebrant's Skull worked fine for what I needed, but I'm wondering if there's something better to go with (thinking maybe I should get a spear/halberd, or a greatsword).

I would say you really want ranged options, and ashes of war are good for that. But it does mean you want a weapon you can put ashes on.

My current build is either a pike or silura's woe, with either spectral lance or... the giant laser beam that SW comes with. The pike is good because it's long enough that it kinda breaks the AI on a bunch of enemies, at the edge of its range NPC invaders won't attempt to dodge, and you can often hit enemies with it before they start their attack animation. Doesn't have great stagger potential though and DPS falls off at range. Frankly not much really competes with just blasting them with the tree laser because that does idiotic amounts of damage. Specral lance is great for extreme range sniping and a lot of enemies you can headshot with it so it does great stagger and efficient damage per FP. Again kinda struggles in the very late game though.

For my second weapon I have the serpent god's curved sword with storm blade. The curved sword does slash damage and has a nice fast moveset, which makes it a good close quarters weapon. The HP restore on enemy death is nice too, helps keep you topped up. Also storm blade is a top tier ash because you can just spam it and it does (i think) strike damage at good range for little FP cost. Really good for dealing with enemies that you don't want to get close to and much more spammable than spectral lance. I would honestly recommend it for everyone, super useful to have on any non-magic build as it gives you a spammy ranged attack.

Third weapon is spiked caestus, mostly as a blender and pure strike weapon for if I need to beat up something that for whatever reason is resistant to the other damage types, combined with bleed it does great damage if you two hand them but leaves you kinda vulnerable cos it has piss poor range. Occasionally you just want to wale on something though and it's good for that.

Offhand I have the eclipse greatshield and the golden order seal. The greatshield actually does pretty great damage if you put cold on it and use shield crash, the charge forward does multiple hits and has a decent chance of procing frozen which significantly weakens enemies. Only downside is you can't use your other ashes with the shield out if you put that on, so I usually have it on no skill.

I find this works pretty well on everything, lots of ranged capability even without relying on incants, and there are some great incants too to help out though I mostly have utility ones for specific instances.

Basically if you try to fight everything in melee especially in the endgame I think it kinda sucks because the game throws enemies that do a shitload of damage to you and have a shitload of health and poise so they just no-sell everything you hit them with. If you're good at parrying maybe it's better, and using very heavy weapons can sometimes let you stagger things, but on the whole the endgame really pushes you to just not fight stuff close up if you can avoid it, or at least have the option to hit things at range when you can.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ariong posted:

It’s less that the usefulness drops off at a specific point and more that it drops off at the exact points you can least afford a significant loss of damage. This is, ultimately, a game about hunting down and killing gods and demigods. This means that a lot of the most significant and/or difficult bosses are gods or demigods, and thus resistant to holy damage.

I would also say that even if things are resistant to it, siluria's woe is still by a country mile the most destructive ability I have. It does immense stagger to the point of knocking a lot of enemies on their arse, and does like, 1200 damage minimum, at range, while also being really fast as a projectile.

Like there's being comparatively resistant to a thing and then there's being comparatively resistant to a loving railgun, you're still gonna get smacked by it. If you build hyper optimally I'm sure you can do that kind of damage with all sorts of things but all you need for the tree is enough strength to lift the thing in two hands and enough faith to power it and it's still going to do a lot of damage if you put your somber stones into it.

If you want something that guaranteed works on everything, black flame does percentages of an enemy's health in tick damage, so if you can land say, 35 or so black flame balls on something, it will die no matter what it is because each one does like 2% of their life bar guaranteed in addition to the projectile damage.

One of the advantages of faith is that it has some decent weapon skills and you also get access to every kind of elemental damage you could possibly want so if the faith laser beams don't work then you've probably got something that will.

Opposite problem of intelligence where you basically have dozens of ways to shoot magic rocks at people but if you ever want to do something else you've got maybe a handful of alternative options and most of them aren't very good. On the other hand you do get access to the death star laser which is another case of "yeah you might be resistant to it but it still does a shitload of damage"