Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, has there been any independent confirmation that the RCE exploit in From's netcode was fixed like they said it would be for Elden Ring? I definitely want to get it, but "not a horrifying security vulnerability" is a big sticking point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

So I used to have character creator settings to re-create patches in Dark Souls 3 but I had since lost them. Have the setting to re-create Elden Ring's patches been datamined yet? The Dark Souls 3 one used character model specs.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Vermain posted:

seek here, tarnished

Much appreciated!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Qmass posted:

I was really disappointed that getting frenzied flame then curing it didn't have an alternate, better outcome. I was hoping that not having used the maiden for kindling she would then return. but nope ;*( the amount of extra bullshit you have to do warranted a purification like ending

Pranking the frenzied flame absolutely should have affected the endings or at least had Melina show up to chat with you at some point.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you're reviving a dead sci-fi / fantasy author to work on a Fromsoft game the super obvious answer is Gene Wolfe

Pratchett. Just really ratchet up the absurdity of the settings.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I think that, going forward, they should probably just make the PvP an opt-in thing entirely with some neat rewards tucked behind it if you're willing to deal with it to tempt people into it. Also, y'know, balance it better than the mess that Elden Ring turned out to be. They really need to get things sorted out in regards to splitting out PvE and PvP behavior of stuff so they can tweak PvP damage, etc. without it suddenly affecting it's PvE performance.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the first two aren't the same? i guess i need to go revisit that boss arena lol

The one to the side of her boss arena is not her's, I don't think. The implication is that it's Millicent or one of her sisters, given the clothes you find right next to it is her armor set

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Been contemplating replaying the game with a Strength/Faith character specifically aiming to use Maliketh's stuff. However, I've been wracking my brain for a name that sounds like a lovely knockoff Maliketh and not having much luck.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_mythology

e: oh that DOES sound like a lovely knock-off Maliketh. the above might still be useful but not nearly as much as for the reverse case

e2: okay so Maliketh's name is probably actually derived from "Malak al-Mawt," which means "Lord of Death" and is more or less the Arabic counterpart of Azrael

I'm specifically trying to riff off Maliketh's name in a way that sounds like some sort of knock-off product while still sounding snappy. Like the "Thunk"/"Thonk" emote of death gods.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Queering Wheel posted:

Random thought: I'd like to see Fromsoft make a game where the world hasn't gone to poo poo yet. Things can fall apart later of course, because it's Fromsoft, but I'm curious about what it would look like before that. I want to see cutscenes of normal poo poo like rulers/demigods bickering about politics. Send me on fetch quests and/or murder quests. Have various factions to side with! Then halfway through, bring forth the apocalypse 😈

A game with lengthy timeskips that actually shows the steady decline could be pretty interesting, yeah.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i lost interest in Elden Ring's PvP too early to know where this game's meta settled, but taking the minimum strength necessary to wield your weapon and putting all your points into damage mitigation and weight allowance was very frequently the best choice for PvP in previous games, up until you were high enough level that you could do both with minimal opportunity cost

Judging from the invasions I've been getting on this Tongue Run, still 5 million wizards and bleed arcane builds and basically nothing else. I ran into a cool two-hand axe dude at one point. Props to them.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

So I finally decided to try out Maliketh's greatsword and it feels... bad. The weapon art is way overcosted compared to other weapon arts than manage to do the same or more damage for half the cost. Not to mention you get locked into it for 5 million years. It's a shame cause it looks cool but it's just way too slow and will get you killed in every possible circumstance. It's kind of weird it's not a two-parter with the initial spin and the ground stab as an optional followup.

On the other hand, I never respected the weapon art on the black knife enough, I gave it a try and that thing is vicious. A comically cheap and powerful projectile that comes out pretty fast.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, but it's better if you do all the Deathroot first, that boss fight has some unique dialogue if you do.

Poor Maliketh. He's not mad, just disappointed.

The delivery is pretty good. He doesn't WANT to fight you, but he's dutybound to do so because you're obviously after destined death. He really got the short end of the stick every step along this whole story.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Where From PvP really shines is massive goofy brawls. 2v2ing my way through DS3 with a buddy I roped into doing the run with me and the dried finger constantly active was a ton of fun.

In theory I could do the same thing in Elden Ring with the taunter's tongue, although it'd only really be worthwhile activating in the legacy dungeons. Catacombs and caves are too short to be interesting and trying to do it in the open world segments is just stupid. Was never able to find a partner in crime for it though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Doing the full patches questline and sparing him again that second time does get you his very important squat emote though. THEN you can murder him for his armor. And then you can become the new Patches.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't care if the best talisman in the game's in there with him, that dung eater fella doesn't seem right to me snd I will not be letting him out.

You cannot kill him and take his stuff if you don't open the door.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Speaking of Varre, did they ever change the fact that completing his questline gives you the blood eyes and they overwrite every other eye effect like chowing down on too many dragon hearts? Like, can you complete his quest these days without losing access to the dragon eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

codo27 posted:

Ok that makes sense, now that I think about it I usually see a + instead. Le dumb

I was briefly mildly concerned that you had been playing souls games exclusively with weapons you failed to meet the requirements for.