Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been doing a run where I'm trying to get every ending on one character for something to do and I'm up to NG+4 and level 260 or something like that. I have nearly every item, sorcery, and incantation on this character, and I've been respeccing every run. I'm also not very good at the game though I'm getting better (e.g. I did manage to beat Elden Beast on my NG+3 sorcery run without getting hit by EB on the attempt where I was ultimately successful ).

Now for my last two runs through - NG+5 will be Golden Order and NG+6 will be Dung Eater - for kicks I want to try the most broken e-bushidoless builds possible just to see what's what. What should I try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BigDumper posted:

I went out of my way to find Dung Eater in my current/first run, and as soon as he started talking I killed him. I couldn’t help myself, I don’t know if I have it in me to try to get his ending.

I don't like him much either but I'll just gut it out. This started because I had the opposite response to Shabriri's speech - I had finished Ranni's quest and was on my way to that ending and he was like "don't burn the girl burn everything instead" :hmmyes: and I decided to run NG+ for frenzied flame. Then on that run I discovered Deeproot for the first time and the ending that starts there ... and we continue like that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The grenade one, I think called glintstone cannon, is fun

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fists Up posted:

Where's a good spot to farm runes that isn't Mohgwyn palace (where all the guides say). I'm not there yet and feel a bit stuck at level 94. I am struggling with Commander Niall and the Fire Giant but don't really know where to go instead.

The guardians on the path uphill from dragon barrow fork are squishy and give good runes and they're pretty densely packed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

til that there are tons of inputs that you can't reasonably do in this game with m+kb. I'm learning to play it on a controller now that I own one. Gonna run around gatefront for a while figuring this out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Am I weird for thinking the lake of rot is the coolest zone?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No Dignity posted:

I enjoyed seeing the preview of it from early game Ainsel River moreso than actually exploring it. Without the fail swamp movement I don't think it's mean enough and never quite becomes the ultimate hellswamp you'd expect it to be

I just really enjoyed bringing the different structures up and finding the pathways through it and then dealing with the stuff that lives on the new structures. It's an oddly satisfying three-dimensional environment, and the rot is much more consequential than the surface swamp because of the lack of torrent, so you really need to interact with it in some way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the haligtree except that one guy above the roots at the beginning. gently caress that guy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No that one bubble guy at the end of the root platforms who shoots at you from above.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gologle posted:

The funny thing is I know exactly what enemy you're talking about, and I agree. In hindsight, I could have just loaded up on holy resist, but didn't think of it at the time.

Last time I went through I was on a heavy-duty sorcery character with literally every sorcery in the game and I couldn't snipe him with any of the big loretta spells or anything. Fuckin' hell. I bet the solution is to wait until it's dark or something dumb like that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I started a new game as the wretch to get used to the controller, and I'm quite amazed at how good the basic club can be. A charged r2 basically breaks stance on anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DrHammond posted:

My first ever playthrough was as a wretch, and the entire journey was just finding progressively bigger bonkers to bonk with. Poise abuse turns most of the game into a cakewalk.

I just upgraded to greataxe, mostly because the club's reach is so bad. I'm looking forward to getting that big rear end brick hammer from the castle

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always just rush for the smithing stone miner's bell bearing 1 on a new character. It's such a quality of life improvement to have infinity stones 1 and 2.

I switched my bonkinator to the large club. I didn't like the reach on the brick hammer.

e. non-somber weapons are fun because you can grease 'em up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wedgie deliverer posted:

What are some good one handed axes and where can I find them? I'm looking to make my dude into something resembling a dwarf slayer from Warhammer.

There is a pair of identical storm axes or something like that in liurnias albinauric village

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Angry Diplomat posted:

Do you not have to kill your cool barbarian princess friend to get those??

oh idk I've just found them laying there a couple of times and I've never killed her

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

redreader posted:

What's the best way for mages to hit those fire blowing columns in dungeons, to deactivate them? I don't have a bow, do I need to get one and put some points into dex, or is there some trick involving aiming with the telescope?

just get a bow. You can still aim and shoot an arrow from it without the dex, it'll just do garbage damage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is there any explanation for the focal point of the 6 great rune towers arranged in a hexagon surrounding a spot in the middle of the sea with a cloud drawn on it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ninjoatse.cx posted:

God loving drat it. I have now died more to the Elden Beast than Placidusax, Mohg (the omen), Mohg (the lord of blood), Morgott, Malenia, Malekith, and the fire giant combined.

2/3s of the time I can beat Radagon without taking a single point of damage (the other 1/3 is a big thank you to the Tiche for leading his attack right into me).

I'm going to respec tomorrow and go into more of a pure faith build. The closest I ever got to beating him was getting him down to 1/5 of his health, and that was mostly Tiche getting off his rear end and judicial use of the spell to resist holy damage and the godskin apostle armor.

Have you watched any no-hit runs to see how those guys beat him with a spec similar to yours? I used to try to beat EB by putting together resists and survivability but now it's just a matter of stacking damage and running to the right spots and unloading as fast as I can.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean realistically this is how the majority of the playerbase has treated it since the original dark souls. Which is why I doubt there is any real interest in copying it. Because it accomplishes nothing

Getting people engaged with the product enough to create videos etc deciphering it is a valid and beneficial marketing strategy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was hanging out with goldmask and I could see chunks of dark brown to black twisted branches among the big glowing branches

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bows1 posted:

I feel like iM taking crazy pills. Every guide online for D's quest says you can find his twin north of the "Ancient Grounds" site of grace. But no map ever shows this grace, or says it exists besides in these quest outlines. Can anyone help?

There's an "Ancestral Woods" site of grace

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't realize that was "hidden." I found it on my first playthrough pretty easily.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Putting on Rogier's gear, buffing magic, and then spamming shard spiral chews up the Elden Beast fast btw, if you haven't tried that. It works really well with the "successive hits increase damage" talismans, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's possible to summon albinuric girl outside the mist where she can shoot through which gives her quite a bit of protection from sweep and breath attacks, though she can still die from direct aggro.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Toaster Beef posted:

I think I may have finally ungad my last bunga and will soon be looking to enter NG+ as an offensive juggernaut of a magic-hurling wizard. Any particular build folks like best for that?

It wouldn't hurt to collect sorceries and items before respeccing and starting NG+

I did my NG+2 run as a sorcerer and night comet and shard spiral were my MVP spells with some of the meteor ones as backups.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How's the dark souls remaster that's on steam

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

euphronius posted:

I used 5 to fiddle with Twin Gargoyles. Hahaha. I need to find a way to do magic damage as a FTH build

on my faith run I found the bestial incants were useful for diversifying my damage - they're physical but like, big rock goes smash.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I beat her by stacking bleed effects, using BHF, and mimic tear. She was pretty much proccing constantly with double the bleed talismans. For me surviving the asplosion at the beginning of phase 2 was the hard part.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vykes spear is faith and fire

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah this was my first from game and I wasn't used to looking for poo poo in the setting. It was like "go be Elden lord fix ring can do" and "man there's lots of trippy looking poo poo along the way". We don't ask more of games usually. It's fun to chop stuff with a big scimitar while running around in a Salvador Dali painting.

The setting development and stuff is there, and none of the places that plot texture gets hidden are really alien devices to people who are used to like film studies or drama or imagistic poetry or whatever - I'm just not used to looking for that while stabbing poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the no-hit guys do it by rolling through the feet and then following it in a circle pattern after that

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my current run is large club + blue dancer charm and because I don't want to carry extra weapons for buffing I've put golden vow on the club, but my last few sessions I've started to crave combat ashes so I might revise my talisman selection soon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are there any good somber weapons for pure str? I was just looking at my guy and I have the stones to do 3x +9 while my main weapon is stalled out at +22. RN I have 50-some str and 10 of dex/int/fai/arc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Upgraded the ruins greatsword and radahn's greatsword(s) to +10 and they're pretty fun. I had some fun with the ashes especially on radahn's.

But I found my remaining +8 smithing stones and now I'm about to face her with my +25 Heavy Large Club with Lion's Claw.

Large Club life.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had relatively little trouble getting started with Elden Ring too (my Skyrim, roguelike and MMO instinct helped) but Sekiro is kicking my rear end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Sekiro is a game that wants you to play it in one very specific way. Playing other games don’t really help you you just got to learn how it wants you to play it

Yeah I've gotten that impression. Debating getting into guides vs continuing to raw dog it. I'm stuck on an area with some shield dudes and a "shinobi hunter" on my way to get an arm upgrade that shoots fire to get past an ogre guy and I can tell that there's something about how the game is supposed to flow that I'm not quite putting together.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tarezax posted:

You've already passed by the upgrade. It's in the bonfire in the area patrolled by some dogs and dudes around some houses.

Really? An NPC near the ogre literally told me that I get a tube that shoots fire in the flashback area accessed via the bell that I got from the senile old lady.

e. goddamnit it so it was as simple as I first thought. When I first fought the ogre i was trying to figure out how to use the braziers near him to set him on fire.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think I'd like more than anything else to see more armor pieces with interesting abilities or bonuses

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

War Wizard posted:

We can have a little mind. As a treat. No one says you need to dump into it equally, but you don't need to go crazy with stamina either since stamina recovery is the better option usually using the turtle talisman.

Also sacred blade is the one where you shoot a sword blast before the weapon gets coated in holy.

I think the holy buff is a damage change, not a straightforward buff like grease. I was running a heavy sacred blade weapon for a bit and I didn't test it much but I saw once at least that my damage actually dropped when I turned the sparkle on, so I switched to lions claw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A- - missed the opportunity to have Mohg sitting next to the big fuckin' egg waiting around with the muffled song playing in the next room.